Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

kingfet posted:

I just purchased a 2011 15" and am going to list my old MBP 2010 13" on Craigslist.

Can anyone give me a rough price estimate of what I should ask? It still has like six months of applecare left on it, and has been upgraded to 8GB of Ram. It also is completely blemish free and I still have the original box, discs, and manuals.

http://www.mac2sell.net/

The above site has seen its share of criticism from people in this thread, but it's a starting point, at least.

Man, it is taking all the willpower in the world not to buy a Mac mini right now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Kaboobi posted:

Why would I order a Macbook that I'm not customizing from the Apple store and pay tax and get lovely shipping when I can buy it from Amazon for 5% less with 2 day shipping and no tax?

I guess the student discount would give me a $100 App Store card, but other than that I'm stumped as to why you would order a base model from the Apple store?

Well, you can buy refurbs from Apple, but other than that there's pretty much no reason to.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

What's the difference between this:

http://amzn.to/qXYOTb

and this:

http://amzn.to/n7eaa5

One's available immediately, and one doesn't ship for 2 to 5 weeks. I'm guessing the only difference is the new icons for Launchpad and Mission Control?

I'm thinking of buying a Mac Mini to use as an HTPC, and then buying an Apple Keyboard and Trackpad to navigate from the couch. Has anyone used a Magicwand to combine the two into one convenient unit? Seems like it'd be a nice couch surfing solution: http://amzn.to/pTme8F

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

CDOR Gemini posted:

I think the best solution is an iOS device with Touchpad installed. http://www.edovia.com/touchpad

Hmm, my mom just gave me her iPad so this might be a nice solution. I'm wary of its responsiveness, however. Watching review videos now.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

My girlfriend's 13" Late 2010 Macbook Air slipped off her bed and crashed to the ground, cracking the screen. She doesn't have AppleCare but I don't think that even matters in this case (aside from hoping for a nice Genius). Anyone know how much this repair normally costs?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

illcendiary posted:

My girlfriend's 13" Late 2010 Macbook Air slipped off her bed and crashed to the ground, cracking the screen. She doesn't have AppleCare but I don't think that even matters in this case (aside from hoping for a nice Genius). Anyone know how much this repair normally costs?

Haha, it was free. Freaking Apple.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

JP Money posted:

Was it you or her that went in? If anything ever happens to mine I'm finding the most attractive friend I can get and sending her in there to fluster some poor genius into giving me a new laptop.

She went in, and yeah I'm fairly sure that had something to do with it :)

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Does Amazon typically take extra time to process computer orders? I bought a 13" MBA last night along with some protein powder, and the powder shipped out today but the laptop is still listed as "shipping soon." I have Amazon Prime so both should have two-day shipping. The powder will be here Saturday, and the expected delivery date of the computer is Monday. It's not a huge deal, I'm just wondering if that's normal.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Is there any reason why my two day old 13" MBA might be taking an eternity to open iTunes? I'm talking 20 seconds plus here. Could it be the fact that I have home sharing with a large library enabled? If so, why, if iTunes isn't opening straight into it?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

This girl I know has a liquid damaged 2.4ghz C2D 13" MBP and I asked her to bring it over for me to look at. She said that it worked for a few days after it got wet in a backpack until it stopped charging and then obviously died. I tried plugging the thing in and the power adapter light doesn't come on.

I opened it up and there was a tiny bit of corrosion on the magsafe board but nothing otherwise or major. I offered $100 for the thing and she turned me down - how much should I be willing to offer on it? I'm assuming I can just swap the magsafe board but who knows.
http://www.powerbookmedic.com/MacBook-Pro-13-MagSafe-Board-p-18057.html

Isn't there a flat rate repair fee for MBPs? That's kind of a low ball all things considered, IMO.

Actually now that I think about it that "flat rate" might be on the order of $1000 or something.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

How big of a deal is it that my new MacBook Air has one of the slower Toshiba SSDs? Benchmarks I've seen make it seem like there's a massive difference. Not cool :mad:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Would you know that it was slower, had you not read a story about it? You can always upgrade to something from OWC if you have hundreds of extra dollars laying around. You can probably sell your 128GB Toshiba to a person who has the 64GB model for at least $100.

Day-to-day, no, I probably won't notice a difference. I don't think that's the point. When I pay for something, especially a high-price item like this, I expect its performance will be consistent with other items of the same type. This appears to be a large difference. It's like buy a stock Corvette and finding out that another stock Corvette on the same lot randomly has a bigger engine and a higher high-end speed. Sure, most of the time I'll be on the highway driving the speed limit. Doesn't make it okay.

Anyone have experience with the Apple store doing swaps of this sort? I may just end up buying one of those new OWC SSDs.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

What should I do if I want to output video from my MacBook Air through Mini DisplayPort -> HDMI, but would prefer to use a 3.5mm audio cable connected to external speakers instead of the built-in speakers in my computer monitor?

Edit: This cable gets in tomorrow so I don't know if it's possible.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

DoktorLoken posted:

Say I want to sell my 2.26ghz C2D unibody white Macbook.

Cosmetically it has lots of superficial scratches in the plastic casing and the screen has a shallow (but highly visible) .5" scratch in the bottom 1/3 a little offset from center. It currently has 4GB of ram and a 120GB Crucial M4 SSD in it and works flawlessly.

What am I looking at in terms of value?

Honestly, whatever someone will pay for it. I'd list it high on CL (like $850 or so, someone correct me if I'm off since I'm not sure how much value the SSD adds) and then see if someone bites.

Edit: I'll go ahead and use this post to say that I recently purchased a Be.ez LA Robe sleeve for my 13" MBA and really, really like it. It keeps its shape well for a sleeve due to being made of what is essentially slightly harder memory foam. When it's in the case, I feel like I could drop it a short distance onto the ground and it'd be protected (not that I would test this!).

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Be-ez-100678-Sleeve-Macbook-Black/dp/B001EJO6T2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1325523462&sr=8-6

illcendiary fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 2, 2012

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

LLJKSiLk posted:

I hear SC2 lags like poo poo if you play 4x4 on the air.

I'd get the Air anyway, Starcraft be damned. I don't think you'd regret it, especially if Starcraft is only a "sometimes" thing.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Spending another $300 for the Air over the Pro isn't worth it IMO. That's assuming you can get a refurb Pro or $999 one at Microcenter or somem other deal.

Looks like he bought it at the Apple Store, though.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Qaz Kwaz posted:

Another "duhhh good deal?" question...

- 13" MBA, latest model
- "Gently used"
- 128 Gb / 4Gb
- Box w/accessories and 3rd party case

$1000, including $650 in Amazon GCs that I got for $70. Net cost to me... $420.

Or should I wait? :-\

I wouldn't buy used, period. Spend the extra ~$200 and get a new one from Amazon. The no sales tax is a nice bonus.

Edit: Maybe I seem like I'm taking too hard of a stance against used. I would probably buy from someone on SA Mart. I have no idea as to how reliable re-sellers are on Amazon. I think $200 is worth the peace of mind.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

awesome-express posted:

How are you supposed to maintain a healthy battery? I've got a new Macbook Air, and so far it's been through 37 cycles (2 months). Should I try keeping the laptop plugged in most of the time and discharge and fully charge it every month? Anything else?

You should just use your laptop like you normally would and not worry about it, seriously.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Do you guys think $150 is a fair price for a mid-2007 Macbook with a Core Duo/4 GB RAM with a broken hard drive and optical drive? The battery and top case are essentially brand new after being replaced by Apple.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

Yeah, you'll probably be able to get more for your trouble if you put a hard drive in there. Doesn't need to be big or anything. People flip their gently used hard drives all the time; check some classifieds or SA Mart and stick it in there. A computer that is already basically working will definitely command a better price, obviously. Lots of people will not really care that the optical drive is hosed.

Yeah sticking a cheap hard drive in there isn't a huge hassle, just a matter of getting the OS installed since I only have the Snow Leopard install disc and no working optical drive. Is there any way to get Snow Leopard on a thumb drive with a PC? My other computer is an Air :sigh:

And for the curious, the battery is relatively new. I had it replaced like a year ago and it only has around 40 or so cycles on it.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

Refurbs come in a box :confused:.

Also, they come with a full warranty and are really no different from new. But for just 34 bucks more, do your thing...

To be fair, they come in a plain brown box. At least my girlfriend's did. I can see something like that possibly making a difference in the resale market, and for $34 bucks it's no biggie.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Random question here. I've got a 2 TB hard drive in a desktop that I'm thinking of selling (the OS is installed on a separate 500 GB hard drive). If I were to remove the 2 TB hard drive from the desktop and install it in a Mac Mini, would there be any formatting issues?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Welp, looks like you're right. So much for that plan :mad:

Alternatively (and the :spergin: in me shudders at the ugliness of the potential setup), if I were to get an external hard drive enclosure for the computer, would there be any formatting incompatibilities?

illcendiary fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 22, 2012

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to networked storage, what sort of speeds am I looking at when hosting my media over this as opposed to say, a second hard drive on a desktop or so?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

It'd almost certainly be wired, so that sounds pretty good. I think I might look into this.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

2011 Mac Mini with Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, wireless keyboard and 8 GB RAM upgrade. I'd be stupid not to take this for $600, right?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

JohnSherman posted:

That exists? I mean I hate digital downloads, but that price is just ridiculous. It's a bad move to punish people who don't have internet at home, or who are running with slower DSL speeds.

My guess is that they're just passing along the cost of someone potentially buying one $69 drive and using it for multiple Lion installs (which is less of a risk with a digital download).

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Oneiros posted:

As opposed to pulling the installer image out of the download and putting it on your own $15 flash drive?

As if the average person knows how to do this.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

flyboi posted:

Just going to warn you, but the 3rd party adapters are very hit-and-miss with the 2011 line of macs. My iMac would have random static on displays and my plasma wanted nothing to do with my MBP.

Purely anecdotal, but that exact adapter worked fine with my 2011 Air.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Aside from the physical appearance, what is the major determining factor for choosing an Air over the Pro in terms of what it can handle? Photoshop, movie editing, sound editing?

Currently, it's the fact that it has a higher-resolution screen, and that the flash memory makes opening applications faster than the Pro. This may obviously change with the presumed impending Pro refresh.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

PDP-1 posted:

I don't follow mac stuff very closely - when there is a new hardware release do the refurb/used markets typically get glutted with older models as ten million hipsters all upgrade at once?

Basically my nephew is going to turn seven in a few months and the family was thinking about pooling gift money together to get him a laptop. Both his parents are mac folks so it would make sense to go that route, but it seems kind of insane to drop a thousand bucks on a new MBA when all he really needs is the Apple equivalent of a cheap-o netbook. If the timing works out to score a decent refurb model that's 2-3 years old that'd be great.

:stare:

At the absolute, absolute most, I would get a 7-year old a refurbished first-gen iPad for less than $200.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

That's how the battery is on the iPad as well IIRC.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why does that page call the SSD simply "Flash." Is it just marketing jargon?

Seems like it.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Pissingintowind posted:

I have a new Macbook Air, and I want to pass audio and video from it to my TV.

Has anyone used this cable? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024603&p_id=5997&seq=1&format=2

According to the description, it won't pass audio. But according to the reviews, it does with newer Apple products.

I use this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2

And it works with my mid-2011 MBA.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Ramadu posted:

SO I have a mid-2012 macbook air that I just got. I want to hook it up to my TV to play movies/stream netflix and twitch. From the OP I saw that I'd need

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2

but I was wondering if I could just get this,

http://www.amazon.com/Cablesson-Min...t+to+hdmi+apple

and not have to deal with the adapter. Am I wrong and if so tell me why please.

I have both of these and they both work.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Case in point: Maurice Jones Drew, running back for the Jacksonville Jaguars. 5'7", 208 lbs. Probably 10-11% body fat if I had to guess. (Obviously this is 0.00001% of the population but still)

Anyone have any NAS recommendations for a Mac Mini/MBA setup?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I have a Mac mini in my living room as an HTPC. It's controlled using a keyboard/trackpad combo, and as a result of being around drinks/food constantly a few of the keys are sticky. Any tips for cleaning the keyboard? Do the keys just pop off?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Can someone who knows more about this than me explain why the end game for a M-family of chips wouldn't be an iPad style device that can dual-boot iOS and MacOS?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

This anti-glare coating issue is just never going away, is it? My wife has a habit of touching the screen when she’s pointing at something and the first couple of fingerprints on our new M1 MBA have already worn away the coating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I’m using the Apple microfiber cloth that came with my 2015 MBP that I guess isn’t provided anymore. Took me by surprise too; I wiped away the fingerprint itself and a smudge that looked like the oleophobic coating worn away was left in its place. Apple guidance is to clean with 70% isopropyl alcohol so I guess I’ll try that next, but my guess is it’s gonna gradually wear the entire coating away.