Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

So I'm looking into new laptops, and thought I can' afford one yet I am considering a macbook. The question is which. Portability is a huge factor, so I am really attracted to these new macbook airs. The challenge is I need to do light photoshop work. Also, I want to play wow. Right now I play it on lowest settings on my crap acer, what would it look like on a macbook air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What's a "crap acer"?

acer 5532, amd athlon t-20, 3gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 3200.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

I have a real soft spot for the MacBook air and I'm really considering buying one with the new refresh. It'd be mostly for the portability, and with the upgrade to battery life its REALLY tempting. I'm interested in the 13" with 256 ssd. I literally JUST BOUGHT a mac mini, which I can probably turn around and sell on craigslist for close to retail. I'd be doing photoshop/unity work/gaming so I'm a little nervous about making the jump. I have a dell XPS 15 and it runs games really well. I'm thinking of using a new Air + monitor at home, and then I can take the air with me to work and bootcamp/windows.

Am I better off just sticking with my mini/Dell laptop or would the jump to the Air be worth it? I would gain a lot in portability and battery life but I feel like I'd lose a lot in terms of power.