Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

My 2008 15" MBP is having an odd power problem: clicking off during use (on battery), or doing the painful reawaken thing, or even booting from scratch after closing. I'd say it was the battery, but it's always comfortably full (both reportedly and actually, as I can keep using it) once I've turned it back on.

Could it be software related?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

I completely blanked on Apple Silicon being now - I'd been vaguely shopping for an MBA for my wife for Christmas over the last month, and did a double-take when I checked the site yesterday and everything was new and M1.

I think that'll be fine for her though, she mostly does light stuff, but also some Photoshop and using giant coloured Excel sheets for crochet patterns (no idea which part of the computer is taxed by that, but it'll be an improvement over her 2012 11")

Meanwhile I'll squeeze another few years out of my Mid-2014 15", I'm still on Mojave waiting for a key bit of software to go 64-bit, so I'll let my wife be the early-adopter guinea pig :v:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

What's the deal with Office, is it in Rosetta right now? We just played with an Air in a shop and Word was the only app that bounced for a while (although it seemed to be the first time it had been opened on that machine).

Also, I've got the pay-once Office, is MS going to native-ify that or just the subscription one?

Otherwise the Air looks great, even if my wife wants the gold one...

E: This is totally the hardware thread, oops. Love that hardware!

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 24, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

SgtScruffy posted:

I've got a pretty old Macbook Pro that has treated me well for almost a decade- a mid-2012/Retina 15.4 inch. The only problem with it at this point is that the battery life sucks - usually around an hour or so when unplugged. So, I could get the battery replaced by Apple for $199, or I can do it myself, which seems easy enough, and a battery seems to be ~$40-50, at least on Amazon.

A) Is replacing the battery myself a good or terrible idea?

B) Is there a "best" third party battery I should get? All of the ones on Amazon seem to have reviews that are 80% "This is great, it was easy to install and works!" and 20% "This poo poo sucks and doesn't hold a charge."

That seems to be the same type as mine, battery wise. I checked out iFixit when my battery life started to suck, and it's not good. I read "adhesive remover" and ran away, got a quote from the local Apple reseller, ran away again, and am now putting up with it until there's a fancy new 16" out.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah this is where I’m at. I’m a little paralyzed by indecision TBH.

It doesn’t help that I can walk in and get an 8GB but the 16 is like 3 weeks out.

I’m sure the 8 would be fine but I’d like that breathing room tbh.

I didn't regret maxing out my mid-2014 MBP 15", which was the first non-upgradeable one I bought. Still going strong.

We did the same with my wife's M1 on the way, even though she's a medium user. Future proofing!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

MeruFM posted:

Someday it'll work better with homepods and you can create an 11.1 wireless surround sound system with 8 homepods, 2 minis for atmos, and the new upcoming homepod max subwoofer

I forgot what a homepod was and pictured 11 airpods suspended by strings around the room.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

TACD posted:

Eh Apple patents all sorts of poo poo that never actually gets made. This would sort of suck though because unless I'm mistaken the laptop would have to be plastic for this to work?

Or a solid glass unibody :unsmigghh:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

jokes posted:

I used the term "application" today and I was asked what that was, and I explained that "app" is a truncated form of "application" and I felt really old.

What's a computer?

This reminds me of my all-time favourite "never admit you're wrong on the internet" moment - someone who was mad at Apple for having the entire concept of "apps" named after their company, and mad at people for perpetuating this marketing nonsense by referring to Android programs as "apps" too.

Ok sure, if you first heard the word "apps" in the context of the iPhone, then yeah you might think it's short for Apple. But it was swiftly and conclusively shown to this person that it had been short for "applications" long before the iPhone was even thought of, and they would not. Back. Down.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

I'm hanging onto my mid-2014 15" which I deliberately specced out to the max to make it last (it was my first Mac without user-replaceable SSD and RAM), and it's still going strong. Yes my wife's M1 Air is lovely and fast, but this one isn't exactly slow, and does everything I need it to.

The battery, of course, is unhappy, and even though part of my job is taking things I've never seen apart and repairing them, I looked at the iFixit instructions of "first, buy our special glue dissolver" and noped out. And the local reseller wants €350 to replace it, which I'd rather put towards a new one.

Looking forward to seeing what 14" and 16" options come out in the future. Magsafe is a lifesaver on the sofa when your cats are zooming, but my wife gets around that by using it like a phone (charging it overnight), which would also work.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

I have the GeForce-less version of this machine and agree it's penultimately darn good (the 2015 rMBP being the closest to perfection) but I gotta disagree with 'without user-replaceable SSD' part; I swapped out the original Apple OEM 256 GB SSD with an Inland Premium 1 TB SSD (now 2 TB, runs a couple of VMs) with a special adapter from China. Apple has literally baked in better SSD support into the BootROMs so in a way they're unofficially supporting this configuration, even in Big Sur; ideally you should be running at least High Sierra or Mojave to run third party SSDs..

Yeah I should have said "that doesn't take regular off the shelf SSDs". In any case I made the right decision to max out everything.

I'm at 65% health :stonk: but I've abused this thing by touring it around the world and using it on battery a lot. Maybe if something awesome in a 16" comes out, I'll wait a year and get it a bit cheaper.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

So I joined an online stag do last night, on Discord (which I'd not used on my laptop before). The audio was only coming out of the right speaker, but googling it seems like that happens sometimes. I just ignored it.

While messing around with audio settings, I left the main output volume set to 130%, and after a few hours of laughter and merriment, I started to get distortion on the right (only) speaker. Testing with non-Discord apps shows that's it's the speaker at fault. Have I blown the speaker up by having too much fun, and is the fix probably the 33-step iFixit guide to replace it? MBP 15" mid-2014

Right now I've just routed everything out of the left speaker, and might just limp along like this until new MBPs come out.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

So now my 15-inch 2014 rMBP is officially unsupported for Monterey.. welp good enough for Big Sur but I'm just gonna wait for a new Mx rMBP

:hfive:

A good run, soon be time for something new and fancy.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

BobHoward posted:

Also holy poo poo Apple's charging $49 for the USB-C to Magsafe cable and you don't get one in the box with the 96W or 140W chargers. That's bullshit.

$49, or €55 over here. Sounds like a totally reasonable exchange rate!

Still cheaper than buying a new MagSafe 2 charger if my cats chew through it though.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Data Graham posted:

It's gotta be the lack of tapering, right?

Just a big chonky brick.

I popped into an Apple store today to see them in person - I was actually surprised, I found them less hefty than the images had led me to believe.

Confirmed I wanted the 16" too. So much screeeeeen

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

So I waited with my 15" 2014 MBP like a good goon, through the exploding keyboard years, until Apple came out with the perfect MBP we'd all been waiting for. I popped into a shop and had a feel, decided the 16" felt good.

And now I'm thinking, do I actually just want an M1 Air? My "pro" needs, such as they are, have stayed fairly static in absolute terms, meaning the "lower end" Macs have caught up. I put my wife's M1 Air through its paces with Capture (3D lighting visualisation software, the most taxing thing I do with a computer) and it was buttery smooth running lighting effects for 30 mins - did get a bit toasty on the bottom of course.

Question: I have a 4K monitor I'd use as an external (just the one), with DP and HDMI inputs - is DP better from an Air or does it not matter? And if so is a USB-C to DP cable like this the correct thing?

And, if I decide to split the difference and go with a 14" MBP, same cable?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

I don't think they have any travel, do they? Isn't it all faked with haptic feedback these days?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Just spent 45 mins in the local reseller playing with the 14 and 16”, next to my current 2014 15”, and I still can’t decide which I want!

14” pros:

- only slightly less screen than my old one, in a much more compact package
- can get 1TB/32GB for under €3000
- probably better for everyday use

16” pros:

- stupidly enormous screen in same sized package as current
- better as mobile workstation away from home

I do have a big iPad Pro, how do people find sidecar for tool palettes and such, in editing software?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Well, I pulled the trigger.

It's gonna be a long month and a half wait. I have an idea of what mouse and keyboard to get. Any other recommnende accessories?

Hah I just ordered the same configuration but in Silver, which for some reason was €150 cheaper than list price at a local reseller. No idea when it's coming, it's seemed to be both in stock and sold out, both from "online" and "delivery from the local shop", and I've had an email saying it's been "packed up" but is also going to take 1-4 days.

Accessories wise, I'll be sticking with a Tucano neoprene case (with zip-protective flap), and I plan to use my Anker 8-in-1 hub to get USB-A and Ethernet when required.

Also looking at chargers for travel and my desk (the supplied one will live in the living room). Is there any point getting an Anker 65W one to keep it going during the day and charge at night, or is that not enough? If not, who makes beefier ones?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Wahh? I do know what you mean, but my 16” just arrived and in my mind it’s “the new one” still. It’s only been a few months, right? Pandemic time dilation notwithstanding.

Also, I love it! It’s huge! Definitely the right call (for me) going with the big one.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Yeah I went back and forth on balancing price vs future-proofing - I wanted 1TB but wasn't sure about 32GB. Then I went on the site of the 3D visualisation software I use, and they explicitly say "graphics cards matter, adding RAM does nothing" for their software, so I got the stock unit with the 1TB from a reseller who had it in stock (I'd still be waiting if I'd ordered it from Apple...)

Yesterday I turned the visualiser quality up to "Ultra" and the fans still didn't come on. Best MBP ever!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

https://twitter.com/MajinBuOfficial/status/1529809611582328833

MB is one of the more accurate leakers.. if this is true its not gonna make me toss my U6-LR, but I'll be glad to have something that can replace my still-working AEBS 802.11ac...

This made me giggle because I just yesterday gave up on trying to use Time Machine with my NAS (it pretended to work but didn't, which is not great for a backup) and moved to Synology's own backup thing. And while grumbling about this, wondered why there wasn't some clever way to integrate with the 2TB of iCloud storage I'm paying for. Watching with interest.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

I want to get a Thunderbolt dock that will work with my M1P MBP 16" and my work Dell Latitude (which is a few years old now).

Just a bunch of USB things, and 4K @ 60Hz required. Is there a reason to get the Caldigit TS4 over the TS3?

And/or are there any other alternatives?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Thanks for the dock advice, I grabbed a TS3 plus (work's paying), working great on my Mac, which my previous Dell TB16 didn't.

Works most of the time with my Dell but I think there's something odd going on with the Thunderbolt controller in that. Not this thread's problem though!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

I dropped my 16" M1P MBP :aaa:

It bounced!

On a corner!!

Then slammed down on its top (lid) side

And...it's fine :confuoot:

The dust from the keyboard ended up on the screen, so, great? Cleaner keyboard.

These things are tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

I just recommended someone a Mac and am now having a wobble. Can the M1Max Studio do 4x USB-C video outputs, PLUS a 5th one over HDMI? Every Mac suggests yes. None needs to be higher than 1080p

Use case is QLab with 4 outputs to stage, plus a monitor for the operator

Display Support: 5 Displays* Resolution Support: 6016x3384 (6K)*
Details: *This model supports "up to" five simultaneous displays -- four displays "up to" 6K resolution (6016x3384) at 60 Hz via USB-C and one display "up to" 4K (4096x2160) at 60 Hz via HDMI.

The Thunderbolt 4 ports support native DisplayPort output using USB-C as well as Thunderbolt 2, DVI, and VGA output with adapters. In addition to HDMI, the HDMI port supports DVI using an HDMI to DVI adapter. All adapters are sold separately.