Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funk
Feb 16, 2006

Hardflip posted:

My new iMac was *just* dispatched an hour ago. I hope it doesn't have a faulty drive :(

Very likely not. They know about these things in advance before they issue a recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funk
Feb 16, 2006

Jolan posted:

Truth be told, I can barely see myself when I'm doing stuff in, for example, Word, but only when I've got the screen turned up bright enough to give me a headache. It's terribly, terribly noticable when I'm reading websites with a dark base colour or, as you said, watching video files.

Kuskus, I'd rather not start screwing with the hardware, so I won't try that until there's no option left.

I have the same issues as you, but I've just given up on asking about it because the answer is never anything more than "deal with it". Hopefully the customer survey Apple sent me a while back will actually be read and they will notice that there is a market for an anti-glare iMac.

Funk
Feb 16, 2006

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

Sounds like you already have your answer but I'll go ahead and say that I did the exact same thing (though I was coming off a beastly 2007 Macbook Pro - best computer I've ever owned) and it's great. I use LogMeIn to get to my iMac when I need it, though.

I would note that if you do any amount of coding, this might not be the best choice. I have run iPad 3/iMac for a year now(well it was ipad 1 before the new one) and miss my laptop when it comes to needing one for local coding events and user groups.