Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Woah, I was checking out this thread because BestBuy has some open box 11" MBA for $700 including sales tax and I was thinking about heading back and snagging one, bad idea?

Is that 4-5 hour battery life under optimal conditions or is it a more realistic 3-4?

Now I'm worried a bit, it was mainly for writing, browsing and playing around with iOS development again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

mediaphage posted:

why not just pick up a cheap netbook
This is what I was wondering, hell, they're all more or less the same specs and the plain ones are hovering well below $100 these days.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Another dumb question, is the HD in the non-Retina 13" MBP upgradeable? I've got a nice SSD I'd like to put in one.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Yes, as is the RAM. You can stick any 2.5" SSD in that you want.
Great, thank you for that.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Is there anything wrong with an Intel 520 Series SSD in a new MBP?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

keevo posted:

Do you guys with MacBook Pros use a case or keyboard cover?
I got a Speck hard shell for mine and dig it pretty well.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

etalian posted:

Also helps to wipe down the Mac every week with a damp cloth to remove any dirt and other grime that can scratch the screen/nick the case over time.
The container for my Speck case actually says something to this effect.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Splinter posted:

It's worth it for the trackpad alone IMO. The quality/size of the trackpad and the power of the multi-touch gestures is something I haven't seen matched in PC laptops yet (haven't tried any of the touch screen Win8 laptops though). I bought a MBP for other reasons, but the trackpad is what has me recommending mac laptops to friends (this is coming from someone w/ a Windows desktop and Android phone). It's amazing how much more usable the laptop is with the quality pad and gestures. I almost never find myself wishing I had a mouse, whereas on every PC laptop I've ever used I became frustrated very quickly w/o a mouse.
gently caress yes this is the truth.
I last owned a Mac a good while back and picked up my MBP (non-Retina, a mistake I intend on rectifying soon, depending on when they refresh them) and holy crap the trackpad is heaven.

I had to work on my stepmom's Windows laptop earlier today and kept screwing things up because of how much I'd gotten used to the Mac so quickly.

Offhand and since I'm already posting, what's needed to install an SSD in the optical bay and can I boot from IT or do I need to put it in the standard spot and put the other HD in the optical bay?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

crunk and white posted:

This is more of a thought experiment than a serious question. But if I ever make it it super rich and decide to indulge a ludicrous fantasy without regard to cost, would it be theoretically possible to put the guts of a current Macbook Pro/Air inside the case of an old 2006 black Macbook? I miss that computer more than my dead parents.
I feel exactly the same way about my old Powerbook G3, those things just looked stately.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Apparently me being stuck on Firewire (for recording interfaces) is kind of old hat since apparently USB has really caught up in performance and latency.
SO, I'm contemplating ordering a 13" MBA with a lot of RAM and the 512MB SSD, I'm sure I know what the answer is but should I go ahead and wait? I'll be selling my 13" MBP (non-Retina) to finance the upgrade, advice please?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No seriously: what is the title of this thread?
Here on SomethingAwfulDotCom thread titles are not always reliable sources of information.

kuskus posted:

Wait 20 days. Prices for that configuration of 2012 hardware can only drop more in 3 weeks.
Awesome, I actually didn't think about the pricing aspect.
I don't keep up with all of the speculation/leak sites and just wanted another quick opinion. Thanks again.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

wooger posted:

Do you want to replace all the FireWire audio stuff you already own?

Mercurius posted:

There's a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter that works quite well. I use it at work because the computer I build images from doesn't have Thunderbolt for target disk mode.
Oh hot drat! I'll try that adapter out and see how it works.
I don't WANT to replace all of it, but there are some decent reasons to upgrade to newer hardware so if this works out then rock 'n roll.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I scratched the palm rest of my MBP because I'm a dumb poo poo, is there an acceptable way of buffing it out somehow?
I feel like an idiot, I've kept this thing in utterly perfect condition except for this and it's pissing me off.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I'm not sure if this should be in hardware or software so I'll just crosspost it, but I'm about to upgrade the HD in my 2012 MBP and was wondering what the best option is for copying the old drive to the new one.

Also, as I'm trying out one of those Seagate 'SSD/HD Hybrid' drives, is there anything special I need to do or just ghost it and rock on?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Disk Utility handles this just fine as long as you have a way to hook the new drive up to the system somehow before you do the swap. No special considerations are required for the hybrid.
I got it knocked out with a USB/SATA adapter and Carbon Copy.
Thanks!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You don't have to get the base SKU. The Apple Stores in my area usually carry 3 SKUs for any given model: the stock base SKU, the stock upgraded SKU, and an "I want everything and money is no object SKU." In the case of the 13" Air that's:
  • 1.3Ghz i5, 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM (stock base)
  • 1.3GHz i5, 256GB SSD, 4GB RAM (stock upgraded)
  • 1.7GHz i7, 512GB SSD, 8GB RAM (poors get out)
On the in-store literature, the maxed-out SKU frequently includes AppleCare in the pricing as well. I figured this out while trying to understand how they managed to list the third option for the rMBP costing $3800. You still have the option of not buying AppleCare if you end up wanting that model, though. I think they just include for convenience since the kind of person who buys a $3500 laptop is probably going to spend the extra 10% on the warranty.
Oh holy drat, I didn't realize they carried the 512/8GB models in the stores usually. That's pretty awesome.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I'm considering upgrading my 13" MBP to a new MBA.
Primary use isn't anything significant, browsing/piddling but I DO require it to run Pro Tools 11 fairly efficiently.

Upgrading a 13" MBA to the i7/8GB/512GB options runs $1849, upgrading a MBPr to i7/16GB/512GB runs $2199.

My basic questions (assuming I haven't overlooked something) are:
Is the i7 CPU going to be a significant improvement over the i5 for Pro Tools duties?
Is the extra 8GB of RAM going to be a significant improvement for Pro Tools use?

Bear in mind, I'm not laying down a TON of tracks but I DO like to layer a bit. I'm just looking for general advice too, if there's another option/configuration I haven't considered, then I'm all ears.

Thanks.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Just picked up a new 15" MBPr to sidegrade my 13 MBP after a lot of deliberation (I do a lot of music recording/production) between the different models and holy God the Retina display is beautiful. Completely different to sit down with it for a bit rather than poking at it while walking by in a store.

Thanks for all the conversation and advice from earlier.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

1997 posted:

It's very possible. Bad RAM can cause video distortion, file system issues, bad copy operations- all sorts of stuff. Do you have the original RAM? If so, put it back inane test it.
Yup, some years back I had a C2D PowerBook that was absolutely fine until some update (I forget which) and had constant crashes. Turned out to be the RAM that worked absolutely FINE in a previous version.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Nope, you're not just sharing, you're desperately hoping for something to happen that you can bitch about, you're anxious for it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

The Microsoft Minute isn't necessarily limited to Microsoft products you see.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Ninja Rope posted:

It's almost like that's a difficult problem to solve or something...
Crap, I wish I'd realized that and tried to be all subtle and poo poo. :smith:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

dexter6 posted:

I just picked up a Late 2011 MBP 13" with 4GB/500GB on Craigslist for $350. How much could I flip this thing for? I think I got a pretty good deal, right?
Probably not much more than that.

Edit: Weird, I and everyone else I know who've been trying to move 13" MBP haven't been able to get anything at all, hardly even offered for them. Best offer I had on my 2012 was a little over $400 and it's damned near immaculate with a HD/RAM upgrade.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I could be wrong (it's been a long long time since I disassembled a keyboard) but I believe you simply have 2 sets of hinges there. Remove the one from either the key or the keyboard and all should make sense.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Hed posted:

Sorry for the bad picture. If you look closely at the attachment points on the underside, they are different layouts. Also the A silkscreen on the replacement would be 90 degrees off in this alignment (the cracked key on the right is facing up, the A on the other side is straight up)
Oh hell, I didn't catch that.
That's interesting, I wouldn't have expected a part revision on drat keys, I wonder if it was a clearance issue or something else?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

I stand corrected on Rosetta Stone, but you can't convince me the typical folks who buy their stuff at Best Buy / Walmart are gonna pass up physical media for digital downloads, especially when really high speed Internet isn't ubiquitous across the country, and especially when it's mostly physical media that goes on sale in holiday flyers.
I readily admit that I'm not a typical consumer (goon goon hurr) but the optical drive was appealing to me based on exactly the above. I've mentioned it in other threads not sure if I have here, but my ONLY option for high speed internet is via my Verizon Jetpack (a major bitch of mine is living in close proximity to a major metro area, literally 3 minutes from a huge new shopping complex and zero internet available from ANY provider here). Turns out, it's not as big a thing as I thought, especially since picking up a MBPr with an added SuperDrive. If there's really something I need I zip over to the public library but all in all, there's just not THAT much that I'm regularly installing or anything.

Obviously, based on my experience I'll NEVER declare that my needs and solutions should be a suitable option for everyone, but I've been pleasantly surprised at how not-a-big-deal it really has turned out to be.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

IUG posted:

So if you think your mp3 player battery isn't long enough, you want to replace it with a mp3 player that has even a shorter battery life due to its moving parts?

I think he meant to use an MP3 CD in a head unit that reads MP3 CDs, I'm pretty sure most do these days, I haven't seen one in ages that doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

As I understand, if you're in their 'trial' period you don't even have to provide a reason.