Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Spent some time on a top-of-the-line MBA these last few days; boy is it nice. My 2011 MBP is a lot more useful for my purposes, but having an MBA sure would be convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I like the MyBook Studios. I have both of these guys:

2TB:

and 6TB:

They're plastic, but the finish matches my aluminum Macs pretty well. The lights are a bit annoying though. I'm tempted to take them apart and kill the lights, but for now a little opaque tape does the trick.

It's a shame that there are no reasonably priced 3TB FW800 externals; I'd like the WD 3TB studio drive but it's literally twice the price of the WD 3TB USB 2.0 drive. I don't care a ton about the difference in transfer speed but I can't really afford to sacrifice the extra USB port on my MBP.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

mediaphage posted:

Huh? Where is there a WD 3TB FW800 drive for $400? Because their USB 2.0 model is $199.99. Disregard, I guess, if you're suffering from some weirdo exchange rate. In the US, at least, their 3TB FW800 drive is $249.99.

(Canada) The 3TB elements (USB 2.0) drive usually retails for $130 and I've seen it for $110 on sale, I think. The FW800 drive is retailing for $230, Newegg has it for $200 right now + $11 shipping.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

mediaphage posted:

You are so far mistaken it's unreal. I'm not trying to be a dick, but naked 3TB drives still cost more than that. You might have seen a really good sale, but they absolutely do not retail for $130. I don't think they even put those drives in the Elements line.

Unreal, man, just unreal!

I ordered the 3TB Studio LX drive a few hours ago, in any event.

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 21, 2011

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Bob_McBob posted:

They're even cheaper on sale. I got mine from Dell for $110 last week.

Yeah, I just posted that one because it was clearly the non-sale price. Not sure why he's getting all upset over it. In other words, in practice they end up being half the price of the Studio LX drives, just like I said.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

mediaphage posted:

Granted, I don't use a ton of Apple hardware, but I'd be surprised if the RAM doesn't work -- most times it downclocks just fine. Let's go 0 for 2, haha.

Most indications seem to be that it doesn't; I have 4GB of PC3-10600 from my MBP to sell, and most of the links that I've googled indicate that it's very hit or miss and refuses to downclock (probably because Macs don't have a proper BIOS).

In any event, 4GB of PC3-8500 is under $30 these days.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Doesn't seem to be what a large number of people report:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2065191?start=0&tstart=0

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

I've had plenty of problems with third-party RAM, yes. That has nothing to do with grabbing Apple-approved memory from one machine and slapping it into another.

Apple-approved memory in this case is just generic PC3-10600 made by one of multiple manufacturers, there's nothing special about it.

edit: 7 people is suddenly a "large number" of Apple customers? What?

It's one of many discussion threads on the internet reporting exactly the same problem!

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Also saying that EFI isn't a "proper BIOS" makes no drat sense.

Well, EFI isn't a proper BIOS by definition, and the Apple implementation certainly doesn't allow you to manually set RAM speeds and timing like you can through just about every PC BIOS ever.

japtor posted:

I've read this happening on to people on Mac minis too for whatever reason, one is fine but both isn't. I wouldn't be surprised if it just varies as SWSP says.

If either stick works fine when paired with a 1066 stick, it's pretty clear that it's not an issue of bad RAM. If you actually read the threads I mentioned, you would see that many people who have gotten 1333 RAM to work in older Macbook pros have it show up as running at 1333 MHz (i.e., it doesn't downclock). With that in mind it's not hard to see why the computers won't boot in many cases with the faster RAM.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

KingEup posted:

I totally agree, but as someone with a glossy and matte screen, the claim that glossy screens are bad because in some lighting circumstances the screen is hard to read totally ignores the fact that, in some lighting circumstances, a matte screen is harder to read.

Both the Dell ultrasharp matte displays and the matte Macbook pro display are easily readable under similar lighting conditions as you have described (I know this from experience). Unsurprisingly, cheap matte TN displays don't perform as well (as your picture shows).

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

KingEup posted:

This is an IPS panel. Try again.

LG uses IPS LCDs in a lot of their products: http://www.lg.com/in/tv-audio-video/images/3D_Catalogue_S.pdf

Yeah, I have an LG TV with an IPS panel, but most of their monitor line consists of lovely LCD panels so it seemed like a fair assumption. In any event I'm pretty sure that anyone with an Ultrasharp display can easily demonstrate that you can shine a substantial amount of light on it without significantly impairing usability.

As an aside I looked at your picture again and there appears to be a bra hanging in the upper right hand corner.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

I've been having some weird temperature/fan issues with my 2011 15" MBPs lately. I believe that temperatures have gone up since I bought it about six months ago. It used to idle with the fans around 2000 rpm at temperatures in the low 50 degrees (celsius), now it idles at 60 or more and the fans are always around 2800-3000 rpm even at idle. Even simple tasks like opening a couple of applications (< 5% CPU utilization) can trigger the fans to go close to 4000 rpm (though CPU temperature is still in the mid 60s). As well, the fans have been spinning up from sleep to maximum in the middle of the night for five minute periods or so, with essentially 0 CPU utilization.

One of the reasons I find this quite weird is that my 2011 11" MBA has a fan which doesn't spin up at all even if the CPU temperature rises to the mid 60s.

I opened the case and sprayed some compressed air in the fans, but I don't think this has changed anything, and reset the SMC (I think -- there doesn't seem to be any confirmation that you've done it correctly when you reset the SMC). Any suggestions?

e: Under full load (literally maxing out every core with yes > dev/null) the CPU temperature doesn't exceed 81 degrees with fans maxed out, so there's nothing to worry about on that front, but just for the sake of noise it would be nice if it went back to idling at 2000 RPM or less.

e1: nevermind, it seems to be a firewire-related thing. When I unplug my FW800 external, it idles below 60 again with fans at 2000 RPM.

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 13, 2011

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

I've had my 2011 11" MBA (1.6GHz i5/4GB RAM/128GB HD) for a couple of days now, and it is definitely the coolest electronic device I have ever owned. I feel kind of silly having two Macbooks, but with 6 cables plugged into my MBP at any given time it's not exactly practical to move it on a regular basis; the MBP has real desktop-replacement power though, so I don't mind essentially using it as such. The iMac/MBA combination, as other people have mentioned in this thread, is definitely the combination of Apple products to go with if price is no object.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

TheState posted:

Got the 11" MBA yesterday. I'm pretty happy with it, except that I forgot to buy a case for it at the Apple store and Best Buy doesn't have any that fit it. Guess I'll go buy a manilla envelope, herp derp.

I use this. Only had mine for a week or so but liking the case so far.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

MBA is an easy choice, the performance difference is negligible for what it sounds like your usage will be, the form factor and screen is substantially better, and you get an SSD, for essentially the same price.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

If you buy the Pro at Microcenter it's $999, instead of $1299 for the Air. That's 30% more.

Really, the only reasons to get the Pro:
  • You literally only have $999
  • You need an optical drive
  • You need more than 256GB HD space
  • You need 8GB or possibly 16GB of RAM
  • Extra hour or two of battery life

The Air also doesn't have as glossy of a screen, which is nice.

As a Canadian, my options are limited so I just compare EDU store prices.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

There is no good reason for them to not be the exact same height. That drives me nuts.

There is also no reason for them not to be height adjustable :shobon:

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

vty posted:

I'm not a fan of the Spec hard cases, the one I had on my 2010 MBP was ill fitting and would get disgusting finger grease all over it (mine was red satin).

I recently got rid of my MBA 11" to get a 13" and I don't need my Incase perforated case anymore. I'll sell it for $25 + s/h. I didn't even use it for over a week or two since I had to send the MBA back within 30 days.

It looks kind of funny, but it's killer, not clunky at all and nice to grip.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H4971ZM/A?n=macbookair11&fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&s=topSellers

I can vouch for how well-designed/good looking this case is. It also looks way better than the Speck cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Still, AppleCare or not, it's better to avoid the GPU heat death or whatever in the first place rather than have to deal with the (however minor) hassle of replacement should it occur.

If you're playing at a desk for a long period of time, it's a simple matter to lift the base off the table with a few books or whatever. Fancy gamer cooling bad not required.

This low tech solution drops temperatures by about 5C during gaming on my early 2011 MBP and dropped them by about 10C on my late 2008 MBP. On that older MBP it was the difference between heat shutdowns during extended periods of gaming and no heat shutdowns.