Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

Can you elaborate on missing functionality? It was a little jarring at first to use the new Disk Utility but I think I basically like it.

You can't use it to burn discs or do RAID stuff anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Housh posted:

Anyone else refuse to upgrade from Office 2011?

Hell no. I couldn't wait to ditch that poo poo. I installed the Mac preview of 2016 the day it came out and never looked back.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cingulate posted:

Mac Hardware Megathread: have you upgraded to office 2016?

On this note, Housh, the Mac software thread is thisaway.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The "Other" category is everything that isn't an image, video, audio file, or app, so it includes documents, system files, Gary Kleck ebooks, etc. I recommend DaisyDisk if you want to get a good look at what exactly is taking up all that space.

The way I always do clean installs of OS X is to do the regular in-place upgrade through the Mac App Store, then boot into recovery mode, wipe my drive, and install a fresh copy from the recovery partition. Not sure if there's a less convoluted way to do it, but this has always worked for me.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Silver95280 posted:

Best Buy has the 13" Pros @ $200 off. Including the mid-2012 model.

...That thing is still being sold!?

Yup. They keep it around for the people who really really want Firewire and/or an optical drive built in.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

A lot of it is dependent on the model year and whether you luck out into one of the tanks that will just keep chugging or if you get one of their lovely years where everything falls apart after 24 months or so. If it was something with a dGPU I sure as gently caress would get the extended warranty.

It also depends on how much the computer costs. Getting the extended apple care on a entry-tier MBA is probably a shittier proposition than a maxed out 15" rMBP.

I got AppleCare on my Air because every laptop I had ever owned prior to that had one of the hinges go out after a year or so and I was drat sure not going to put up with that again. As it happens my Air is about a year and a half old and still feels as solid as the day I bought it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pivo posted:

I used to develop for Android and it really is hilarious how often Android enthusiasts buy new phones. Like sometimes two flagships per year. Some of them spend more on phones in a year than some people spend on cars in 5 years!

It seems to me that this is because there is no Android phone in existence that doesn't require the user to put up with some weird persistent bullshit issue or other. They're buying new phones in the hopes that eventually they'll find one where everything works perfectly for them. Unfortunately it's seemingly impossible for Android phone manufacturers not to gently caress at least one thing up.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Sub Par posted:

My wife has a very old iBook G4 that died some time ago - it stopped booting at all, from CD, from HD, anything. We put it in a drawer and forgot about it. We recently moved and dusted it off, and she'd like to get some data off of the hard drive, mostly old pictures and Word documents.

I do not know if the Hard Drive is the faulty component because like I said, I can't get it to boot at all, even using the Hardware Test disk that came with it (it boots to the "loading" screen and then just sits there). Working under the theory that the HD is actually good, I've removed it from the laptop and would like to hook it up to an enclosure or something and connect it via USB to my (Windows) laptop to try and grab what data I can.

I know enough about computers to know that the HD may be formatted in such a way that Windows won't read it. In that case, I will boot into Linux and give it a try, and failing that, I will try and borrow a Mac from someone. But does anyone have any advice/tips/tricks for making this a smooth process? I haven't bought an enclosure/cable to connect it yet, so any recommendations there would be good. Thanks.

HFSExplorer is free and has always worked for me. It requires Java though, so if you don't want to install that a free trial of MacDrive or HFS+ for Windows should do the trick. As far as drive bays go, I use one of these at work all the time and it's great.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Sub Par posted:

God drat, the fastest set of answers I've ever gotten in SH/SC. Thanks guys, this is perfect.

It reminds me of those old cartoons where a bunch of people all try to squeeze through a doorway at once. "How can I get Windows to read my iBo--" "HEY HAVE YOU TRIED MACDRIVE"

Sub Par posted:

This looks awesome. I'm assuming even though it says "optimized for SSD" it will work with a standard 3.5 inch non-SSD drive? Because I also have a couple old hard drives laying around that have some junk on them I've been meaning to get at, and it would be great to just plug those things in as well.

It's fine; I've actually only ever used it for platter drives.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I might use Launchpad if I could customize what shows up there. I don't need a shortcut to Chess.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

What is a good brightness to keep my Air at? I use Flux for nighttime auto settings but I usually keep it at half brightness and then if I'm playing a game or something go to full. is that ok?

Mine is at max brightness at all times because I've spent so long in front of a computer that my body adapted to draw energy from display backlights instead of the sun

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Looking at the specs...is my maxed out 2013 air more powerful than the new MacBooks?! How is that possible?

They used a slower and cooler-running processor for the MacBook so it could be fanless.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I am dumb. Is a new rMBP going to be a big bump from what I have now?

Macbook Air 13" Mid 2013
1.7 GHz Intel Core i7
8GB memory
Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

No.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

jackpot posted:

I ordered five "Magsafe to Magsafe 2" converters (they have a habit of disappearing in my office), and just got them in the mail...along with two USB power adapters (the little ones). Is this a thing? Like, order enough of whatever and they just chuck some in the box as a bonus? They don't come with lightning cables so they're worth about five cents to me, but I thought it was interesting.

:psyduck: You can't even order these things on the website, are they just offloading their junk?

You mean these?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

On the scale of dumb poo poo people spend money on, a computer is pretty inoffensive. Last weekend I worked a fundraising auction where someone bid $8,600 to spend a day with the local SWAT team.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

:bustem:

Someone spent $330k to eat lunch with Tim Cook

I hope Tim just made them look at minion memes on his phone the whole time.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

There is a pretty big gently caress]ng difference between gives no fucks about money industrial spending and Joe Internet buying a personal use PC. Honda gives no fucks about $25k because it's a rounding error in their daily expenses. For someone making even 100k a year dropping 2k on a laptop is worth thinking about long enough to buy something that gets the most bang for your buck.

"Bang for your buck" means different things to different people. If the main thing people look for in a computer is being as thin and light as possible and raw computing power is a tertiary concern, the MacBook might be perfect for them.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Arsten posted:

I like and use Trillian.

This is something I haven't heard in like a decade

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Three-Phase posted:

One thing I noticed: I have a high-end HP workstation laptop at work, and my personal notebook I got was a 13" rMBP.

The screen on the rMBP is infinitely better than the screen on my HP laptop despite it being much smaller. It's easier to read, it's clearer, and it's like the HP's LCD is all washed-out in comparison. It's hard to describe, on the HP it's like taking a picture and turning down the contrast and color saturation compared to the rMBP.

It also has the best trackpad ever on a laptop, and I hate using trackpads.

It's far from perfect but the MBP is the best laptop I've ever owned. I do get a lot of "omg you spent $1500 on a laptop?" comments.

Welcome to Mac ownership. Everything is just a little bit better :smug:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Is there some kind of docking tray type thing I could get to securely hold the Magic Trackpad 2 next to the Magic Keyboard so they're one unit that can be picked up and stuff?

Weedle fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 2, 2016

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Sorry, I should have specified the Magic Trackpad 2 (the current-gen one).

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Froist posted:

Honest question: are energy saving/LED bulbs not very common in the US (assuming that's where you are based on use of dollars)? They're pretty prevalent over here in the UK and most would use a tenth of the idle usage mentioned earlier.

They've only recently taken off here because we Americans believe that environmentalism is a cancer on the glorious freedoms of the greatest country on earth and any attempt to get us to curb our energy usage is a pernicious Communist plot to destroy our Christian values.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Actually it refers to the backroom employees drinking the isopropyl alcohol to get hosed up on their breaks because Scooter didn't come through with the whip-its AGAIN

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I would guess that special-purpose incandescent bulbs will be around for a fair while after we're all using energy-efficient bulbs in our regular home lighting and whatnot. Much like diesel/gasoline engines will still be used in industrial and military settings after we're all driving electric cars simply because of the increased power and durability under stress.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dude sell me that Powerbook

Weedle
May 31, 2006

beefnoodle posted:

I'm a dumbass who should have looked in the box before posting. It's a 15", not a 17".

I was serious about the Powerbook earlier btw. I don't have PMs but I would like it if it isn't already spoken for.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

beefnoodle posted:

I'm not selling them, I'm giving them away. (I'm pretty sure that's within the rules here.) Send me your info to beefnoodle at comcast . net

Email sent!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

Where can I find this neat looking monitoring software?

https://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I was asked "Which Mac should I buy" today. Had to think about it for a second.

The 13" Air is the value leader (11" even more so) instead of thin and light at $999

The MacBook is no longer the 'budget' model but the thin and light model, $1299

The Retina 13" Pro is $1299

The classic 13" Pro is $1099

I thought about Apple having only 3 laptop models. Budget, Pro, Thin

So do they stick with that? Does the Air stay around? Wouldn't 2 make more sense like the iBook/PowerBook days? Ugh. I wish they would merge the budget/thin models again, like when it was only Pro/Air.

They probably will once they can get the MacBook down to around a thousand bucks. They need to keep the Air around as a budget option until then.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GutBomb posted:

What do the other holes do?

talk dirty

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I was planning on picking up a new rMBP/rMB this next few weeks while I'm in the US but I guess new models are gonna be announced soon, so wait? Kinda sucks since I leave the week before the event I guess.

Consensus seems to be that new rMBPs will be announced at WWDC. Of course, everyone seemed pretty certain that they would be announced back in like March but that obviously didn't pan out.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yes and no, the windows PC market is a dumpster fire for sure, but Macs are still a huge disappointment in terms of sales and market share. At this point Chromebooks are selling more than Macs, and Apple has to make some serious changes to the line or get more competitive on pricing. The past 5 or so years of doling out upgrades at a glacial pace and $100 price cuts (if you're lucky) is coming to an end.

As soon as I saw that article about Chromebook sales I knew we would start hearing about how Apple is doomed if they don't change everything up immediately. Chromebooks are outselling MacBooks because they're a third of the price, not because nobody wants MacBooks anymore. Like FCKGW said, Apple is still roundly trouncing their actual competitors in the laptop space. You don't see Mercedes freaking out because Toyota is selling more Camrys than they are C-classes.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

It'll take forever to fill a 128GB SD card with your media but there's no reason to not do it that way.

edit: have you thought about a tiny USB 3.0 drive? I have a 64GB one that I use to play music in my car, it's not THAT slow to copy things (I think I can fill it in 25 minutes).

One of those little Sandisk Cruze drives that look like the receiver for a wireless mouse.

If you're going to go this route, I'd recommend a Samsung drive like this over a SanDisk one. The SanDisks have a tendency to get quite hot over extended periods of use.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pivo posted:

Apple Music sucks across all platforms, sorry. If you want to listen to your Apple Music(tm) on your Beats(tm) headphones, be my guest, but that poo poo loving sucks.

I'll stick with my NAD HP50s and Spotify. And my personal music library. That I did NOT upload to Apple's servers.

For loving out loud, their music service is as terrible as their loving MobileMe and Maps v1 was.

I'll say it here and I'll say it loud. You're an idiot if you pay for Apple Music. It's half-baked and a pile of crap and the interface is all wrong.

Whatever. You do you.

I'd still be using Spotify if alphabetical sorting worked properly and it would stop forgetting all of the artists I was following. Their customer support has been impossibly unhelpful every time I've ever dealt with it, and the app gets worse every time it's updated. Apple Music could use a lot of attention but basic poo poo like searching for, playing, and organizing music actually loving works so it gets my :10bux: .

Weedle
May 31, 2006

MrBond posted:

iTunes Match might be a better call in that case - it uses actual song fingerprinting (the "match").

It boggles my mind that they wouldn't just use the same technology for Apple Music.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I use them all the time, especially the volume/media control keys.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

I doubt the OLED Bar is realistic and it goes against Apples entire design philosophy of minimalism.

Yeah I'm no ~*industry insider*~ but it seems ridiculous on its face and I'm surprised to see it taken seriously. Maybe the next MBP will be a convertible touchscreen laptop with a 360-degree hinge!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Can't spell "Crapple" without "apple"!

you mean KKK₹a₱₱£€

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

It's hard to find a good one and then you have to get an adapter because so few cheap ones have Displayport connectors

Those adapters are like ten bucks though. I use an AmazonBasics one that works perfectly.