Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kikkoman posted:

Lol Terrace House: Opening New Doors's model boy Shion got caught with weed

Not even real weed, but weed vape juice!

But hey ho this is the country where suspicion of cocaine is enough to memory hole somebody for a year or two. Shouldn’t be a big surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
24 Hour Tag bluray is up

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Looks like a couple went up today.

:( Wish there was new Documental out.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
awwwwww yeah both onsen batsus

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I hope they resub/use the old subs for the new rips and upload them. I don't have the HDD space for 15GB Blu-Ray rips so it would be nice to see them on Dailymotion and the like instead of the 240p stuff that's there now.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I love the earlier batsu games way more than the recent ones. I regularly re-watch specials starting from Matsumoto haunted house and end with Hospital or maybe Newspaper. Never get tired of classic stuff like Fukawa bringing in foreigners.

Only thing that bugs me about the 24 hour Tag is how everyone keeps screwing Hamada over about the snacks. I always expect him to explode about it.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 11, 2020

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Endo tested positive for COVID. :(

https://twitter.com/ExciteJapan/status/1294537797739532288

Google translate says he's at home, presumably doing okay so far, waiting for instructions from healthcare services. I hope he pulls through okay.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

He seems like he's in good physical health, but hopefully he'll make it without any complications.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

He's a smoker though so it's probably gonna be rough on him. But otherwise the odds are for him, yeah.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not probably most up to date on my GnT lore, but I thought Endo quit and even Hamada has moved on to e-cigarettes now?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

From what I heard, everyone else on GnT quit a few years back except for Endo. I hope I'm wrong though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

On a more positive note, it's a new Tabletop game episode!

Except this isn't quite like the other ones as the other four are setting up Hamada to see how long it takes for him to notice something weird about the others. It's a great one.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
They used Megalobox soundtrack music. I'm loving dead.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

On a more positive note, it's a new Tabletop game episode!

Except this isn't quite like the other ones as the other four are setting up Hamada to see how long it takes for him to notice something weird about the others. It's a great one.

That's great. TeknoProasheck commented on Reddit that

quote:

This episode uses the Tabletop games series as a facade to prank Hamada, the actual Tabletop Part 6 has been aired, and will be coming soon.

Can't wait to see it, the tabletop game episodes are such fun.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
Finally got around to watching Hanazawa Naoki - halfway through now and while it's definitely a little trite at points, highly dramatized Japanese Bank politics is 100% my poo poo

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Right? I told someone I was watching a show about investment banking, and they were like "How could that possibly be interesting?" and I was like, "Well, first off, people are furiously screaming at each other all the time..."

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
I worked in Japan for four months in a banking adjacent field, and while my company was a small super casual place, from talking to colleagues who had been worked with the big banks in the past the crazy internal politics seem only mildly exaggerated...

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Today is Hana Kimuras birthday, i sent £15 to a suicide prevention charity in memory of her 💜

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Today is Hana Kimuras birthday, i sent £15 to a suicide prevention charity in memory of her 💜

May not have made it outside of wrestling circles but Pro Wrestling Tees has a memorial shirt for sale and they’ve said all proceeds from it will go to Hana’s mother. Another idea if you’re inclined.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Man I just watched Miss Sherlock a couple of months back and Yuko Takeuchi has died :(

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1310141998146498561

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Help Im Alive posted:

Man I just watched Miss Sherlock a couple of months back and Yuko Takeuchi has died :(

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1310141998146498561

Holy poo poo. I've seen a bunch of her movies and she was great. I always hear her name in the Riki Takeuchi voice from that one Gaki batsu segment. What was it, Police? Takeuchi... Yuko desu. gently caress. That's so sad.

e: Hotel

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 28, 2020

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
What are some non-Gaki no Tsukai game/competition shows worth watching, currently running or otherwise? I've been enjoying Documental and Sentosha: Battle Wheels.

Also, I recently found out that Hitoshi Matsumoto directed Big Man Japan, which I love.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Also, I recently found out that Hitoshi Matsumoto directed Big Man Japan, which I love.

Have you seen his other directorial projects? Symbol in particular is a rite of passage, but the samurai one is also pretty good. I haven't seen R100 but it sounds extremely Matsumoto

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Kevin DuBrow posted:

What are some non-Gaki no Tsukai game/competition shows worth watching, currently running or otherwise? I've been enjoying Documental and Sentosha: Battle Wheels.

Nazotoki Battle TORE is very fun, but I've only seen a single subtitled episode.

eating only apples posted:

I haven't seen R100 but it sounds extremely Matsumoto

I have seen R100, and it is extremely Matsumoto.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
This guy has started translating the most recent episodes of GnT. I haven't watched them yet, but comments seem pretty positive considering how quick the turnaround was.

e: Just watched one of the episodes. Translation seems decent enough. Plus, we get the answer to this:

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 24, 2020

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

"Santa sent me a Christmas present. Merry Christmas."

https://twitter.com/tukiteihousei/status/1341897106718478336

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Double post but the batsu is going to happen this year too. They took a lot of precautions but managed to make a pretty full on show apparently. The theme is Las Vegas.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Judging from the trailer the focus is again on CRAZY CELEBRITY CAMEOS! which is really boring. Hopefully we'll get something fresh too.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
It's not truly New Years Eve the last 7-8 years unless I'm late to a livestream of a Japanese TV channel.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

TeaJay posted:

Judging from the trailer the focus is again on CRAZY CELEBRITY CAMEOS! which is really boring. Hopefully we'll get something fresh too.

that's like 99% of Japanese variety shows, the hook is seeing who shows up (with something to promote).

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

I liked last year's a lot, even if they didn't completely spice everything up it felt a bit more interesting than the last few batsus... Hopefully this one will be good and fingers crossed it will be subbed soon!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

gently caress I wish there was a way to watch this. The first episode just aired. I tried to make an account on Pavari but it requires a paid subscription. :(

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Well my favorite sappy manga, Uncle and Cat (Ojisama to Neko), has been made into a TV Drama mini series in Japan! It's the story of an "ugly" cat who has been sitting in a pet store unsold for a year who has lost all hope until a widower comes in and buys him since his late wife always spoke of wanting a cat someday. It's a real tearjerker of happiness and I'm a huge sucker for such things. Since the cat, Fukumaru, is very stylized and has a lot of expression and internal monologue in the manga, they've decided to use puppetry for him in the drama.

I hope that this can somehow be available in the states eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS132-98euk

Edit: the free to watch version is up- but even using Express VPN I'm getting locked out due to region restrictions. Does anyone have any advice how I can get around it?

https://tver.jp/corner/f0065011

Edit 2: Ah, Express VPN was blocked, but using Private Internet Access VPN works!

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 6, 2021

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Great Sasuke (Ninja Warrior) this year. Only minor COVID alterations aside from no audience and no foreign competitors. Nagano and Yamada came out of retirement as a morale booster. Stage 2 got intense with the addition of the Rolling Log, and Stage 3 had great atmosphere being run during rain.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Where does anyone even watch Sasuke at this point? Everywhere I look comes up dry and if there are any available, it's inevitably zero-seed torrents

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Great Sasuke (Ninja Warrior) this year. Only minor COVID alterations aside from no audience and no foreign competitors. Nagano and Yamada came out of retirement as a morale booster. Stage 2 got intense with the addition of the Rolling Log, and Stage 3 had great atmosphere being run during rain.

Stage 3 with the cliffhanger was pretty stupid

hexwren posted:

Where does anyone even watch Sasuke at this point? Everywhere I look comes up dry and if there are any available, it's inevitably zero-seed torrents

on TV! :downs:

[edit] "My Daughter Can't Get a Boyfriend" is far and away the early clubhouse leader in my wife's rankings of the new drama series out this season.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

First ep of the subbed batsu just dropped, it's a pretty strong start so far.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The second ep is good too, and the folks over at the Gaki reddit have been subbing a bunch of stuff, just recently a Gaki episode where they had to dress up as Star Wars characters on a budget.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

The second ep is good too, and the folks over at the Gaki reddit have been subbing a bunch of stuff, just recently a Gaki episode where they had to dress up as Star Wars characters on a budget.

The Star Wars dress-up was really funny. They were really creative with such a low budget.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I've been working my way through the batsu games the last few months. I haven't seen this year's but apart from that the only one I haven't seen is American Police because the blackface makes me a bit uncomfortable (I know the implications are different, it's just that I can't really look past it as a western viewer). I'm always surprised by how much fun I have watching them, GnT has held up well considering how long it's been on air.

I've got to say that I'm tired of the bus segments though, they're so long and usually more or less the same every time. Same goes for the Jackass guys and the horror bits: they were funny at first, but then they kept on doing exactly the same bits each year with nothing being changed up. I fast forward through the horror bits now.

Generally speaking I think I preferred the format of the guys being punished with one or two of the others pulling the strings backstage, but I think the original police special is one of the weaker ones (largely because Matsumoto and Tanaka hardly get to do anything) so I can understand them not wanting to go back to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I like the early batsu games way more than the more recent ones. The 2006 police station one is one of my all-time favourites, it has just so many funny bits and I think it was the last time they spent the night at the location (or tried to anyways. SHOW-HEY-HEYYYYY!)