Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I started watching a new show: "can I follow you home" 家、ついて行ってイイですか

It's phenomenal. Essentially TV Tokyo staff hangs out at night and tries to find people getting home and ask them if they can come with them and enter their house and see it in its current state. It's very funny, they usually ask them to go to a convenient store to see what they buy, and when they get in the house they open the refrigerator, they hang out with the person, etc. And sometimes they follow up with them in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Thanks for the recommendation for Hibana, it was a great series.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wish I had a foreskin I could hide curry rice in.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Waltzing Along posted:

New thread subtitle.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Waltzing Along posted:

TOOS

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

TOOS

I don't know what toos means.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Saw this over on reddit

quote:

Ameagari Kesshitai (Miyasako and Hotohara) will be disbanded
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/db55bd059f6af23cc7723f0fbbba48b1054ab4e3

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Man. Teddy Bear was great. They just needed that one extra line to push the guys over the edge.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Shame, I always enjoyed those guys when they were on GnT. I don't really fully understand what happened with Miyasako, even though the high school batsu was at least 50% jokes about it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
A bunch of Comedians/entertainers were taking money from the Yakuza for private events. Mastumoto and a lot of other Yoshimoto comedians stood up for Miyasoko when they said they would fire him so he kept his job, but most of the people caught in that scandal haven't fully recovered.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Shame, I always enjoyed those guys when they were on GnT. I don't really fully understand what happened with Miyasako, even though the high school batsu was at least 50% jokes about it.

Long story short, he did a performance at a party for an "anti-social organization" (yakuza). When the press called him out about it, he claimed that he was just there with some friends and didn't get paid for it, but then he was investigated, and his bank records showed he did get paid for it.

Despite all the pop culture romanticism of the yakuza, any actual association with yakuza is severely frowned upon by the general public.

I really wish their show Ametalk got more translation attention. The few episodes of it I've seen have been really funny.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

Long story short, he did a performance at a party for an "anti-social organization" (yakuza). When the press called him out about it, he claimed that he was just there with some friends and didn't get paid for it, but then he was investigated, and his bank records showed he did get paid for it.

Despite all the pop culture romanticism of the yakuza, any actual association with yakuza is severely frowned upon by the general public.

it's technically illegal (for the last 8-9 years at least?) to have any business dealings with known anti-social organization groups or their members. Banks aren't supposed to let them have accounts, for example. So performing officially and receiving pay for it would definitely fall under that law if they knew about it at the time.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Okay, that's what I thought but I didn't want to get any crucial details wrong so thanks for clarifying!

forcedstealthlevel
Jun 26, 2021
I never really got that scandal. Was it the equivalent of “he performed at Fat Tony’s son’s bar mitzvah” or was there more to it than that?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

forcedstealthlevel posted:

I never really got that scandal. Was it the equivalent of “he performed at Fat Tony’s son’s bar mitzvah” or was there more to it than that?
Japan's just a lot more strict about that kind of thing, but essentially yeah. There was a wrestler that tested positive for Adderall I assume she was taking while in Mexico and they sent her to prison, ruined her career, and labeled what she had as Meth.

A different wrestler came back with some weed hidden inside a painting that a fan had gave them and she was also almost sent to jail with her boyfriend at the time until in one of the weirdest stories ever, it came out it was planted by a rival in Mexico to try and hurt her boyfriend.

Those are two pretty minor things that nearly ended people's careers pretty recently. Taking any kind of money from the Yakuza is a big no-no, and even when they were helping clean up after (I think it was a major Earthquake) the Yakuza had to go through backdoors to provide help

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sonny Chiba died. He did a ton of movies and stuff but I most fondly remember him and his ridiculous e-mail address from the Hospital Batsu. :(

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Stare-Out posted:

Sonny Chiba died. He did a ton of movies and stuff but I most fondly remember him and his ridiculous e-mail address from the Hospital Batsu. :(

Such a classic bit

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Such a classic bit
God, I miss the older No Laughing format where if a gag really got them, they'd send them out to do it again.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I also love Chiba and Chono corpsing at Egashira.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
drat Miyasako has an apology video with almost as many dislikes as likes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIyx_AGp2JM

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
It is with a heavy heart that I must announce that Tanaka has become The Joker

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Amazing. Tanaker killing those moves too. For a moment I was sure Hamada was going to slap him into orbit.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
We finished 4 seasons of Documental. How long does it take for amazon to put translations up? It seems like something a translator could do in a day or two as it is only about 3 hours of dialog to convert.

E: There are 9 seasons? Whoa.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I would be interested if watching seasons 5-9 if it is possible from the us?

Edit: was it the pissing that made season 4 the last on Amazon?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gazaar posted:

drat Miyasako has an apology video with almost as many dislikes as likes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIyx_AGp2JM

What happened?

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

Bip Roberts posted:

I would be interested if watching seasons 5-9 if it is possible from the us?

Edit: was it the pissing that made season 4 the last on Amazon?

I'm hoping it won't be the last - when there was nothing for about 20 months after season 3 was released on amazon.com I was sure they'd decided the low English language viewing figures made it not worth translating, but then suddenly (not very long ago) season 4 appeared. Since the format seems to have taken off with all their different local versions, maybe they feel the original deserves a bit more attention now.

Gazaar posted:

drat Miyasako has an apology video with almost as many dislikes as likes

That's by far the worst like/dislike ratio I've ever seen. Is there some difference in the way people use the voting buttons in Japan, like, would some people hit the thumbs-down to say "this video makes me sad"? Or is Miyasako genuinely subject to a huge amount of hate because of the whole "anti-social organisations" situation/breaking up with Hotohara?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Tanaka was a pretty good Joker! Not so great at reading his lines, but it's Japan so he gets what, two hours to learn them?

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

1 posted:

That's by far the worst like/dislike ratio I've ever seen. Is there some difference in the way people use the voting buttons in Japan, like, would some people hit the thumbs-down to say "this video makes me sad"? Or is Miyasako genuinely subject to a huge amount of hate because of the whole "anti-social organisations" situation/breaking up with Hotohara?

It's basically hate and annoyance towards Miyasako for the whole yakuza thing, how he tried to handle the situation afterwards, how it was his fault for disbanding Ameagari (to which he takes full blame for), announcing a break from activities and only to come back like a week later, etc.

He did also get involved in some other scandal a few years before, I forget what it was (probably adultery, I'm not sure) but Matsumoto did poke fun at it during Documental S4.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Stare-Out posted:

Amazing. Tanaker killing those moves too. For a moment I was sure Hamada was going to slap him into orbit.

I honestly thought this was going to end in a Thai kick

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

We finished 4 seasons of Documental. How long does it take for amazon to put translations up? It seems like something a translator could do in a day or two as it is only about 3 hours of dialog to convert.

E: There are 9 seasons? Whoa.

i'm guessing the viewership numbers don't pan out to be worth translating it from japanese. the official translations are way behind

on the other hand, it is relatively easy to find downtown, gaki no tsukai, or other content fansubbed online. there are fansubs for seasons 5 and 6

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i'm guessing the viewership numbers don't pan out to be worth translating it from japanese. the official translations are way behind

on the other hand, it is relatively easy to find downtown, gaki no tsukai, or other content fansubbed online. there are fansubs for seasons 5 and 6

We found a fansub of S5e1 and it was pretty confusing. I don't think the translation was good at all.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

well, the person that was fan-subbing documental seemed to disappear off the face of the earth. hope they're okay. and hopefully amazon will translate the rest, i mean they translated the piss episode...

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

if memory serves (unless we're thinking of different people) they're also part of the group doing gaki so they may just not have the time

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
The reddit has all sorts of sources, I recall documental s5 being a completely normal watch?

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Yeah I've watched seasons 5 and 6 with fansubs and they were perfectly understandable. There's a link somewhere on the reddit

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
There won’t be a No Laughing special this year

https://reddit.com/r/GakiNoTsukai/comments/prhms0/its_been_15_years_but_bye_bye_no_laughing_batsu/

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
It's the end of an era, but also fine to start winding it down. It's been a long time coming.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Haven't watched a 24 HR batsu since '17 I think, but now's as good a time as any to catch up.

Makes sense they'd end it, the formula is routine and Covid makes it hard to actually punish, bus jokes etc.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It looks like they’re re-tooling it to be a more traditional thing. Hence the line in the Japanese about switching from a “no laughing” to “laughing is good” format. So I guess we’ll see what happens closer to New Year’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I welcome this change tbh, last years batsu (of what's been translated) is fairly dull. It barely uses its premise which is the biggest tragedy.