Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Honestly I find Documental hard to watch sometimes. There are so many jokes that just flare out and don't work at all and it makes it feel awkward in a bad way. The highlights are always when something unexpected happens that makes them crack up but that's super rare overall because ultimately what makes them laugh is an unfunny joke being repeated persistently.

Also, (spoilers I guess) if Zakoshi is one of the contestants, you just know he's going to win because it's pretty much impossible to break that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Ulio posted:

I haven't watched a no laugh game in a while but a few months ago, I checked out Documental which is Matsumoto's show. I watched 4 seasons on Amazon Prime. It definitely is much different humor than No Laugh type stuff. Lots of sex jokes and nudity but I found it enjoyable. Jimmy Onishi was definitely the star of the series for me. Not sure if people here saw that.

Documental rules, there are fan subs of the later seasons I think they are up to 10. It’s great watching the progression of them starting to figure out the strategies needed to win as Matsumoto keeps changing the rules up and introducing more elements.

And yeah Jimmy is such a wildcard because just his natural personality and general incompetence is enough to make people crack immediately but his defense is so poor he can’t stop himself from laughing at the stupidest stuff.

Stare-Out posted:

Honestly I find Documental hard to watch sometimes. There are so many jokes that just flare out and don't work at all and it makes it feel awkward in a bad way. The highlights are always when something unexpected happens that makes them crack up but that's super rare overall because ultimately what makes them laugh is an unfunny joke being repeated persistently.

Also, (spoilers I guess) if Zakoshi is one of the contestants, you just know he's going to win because it's pretty much impossible to break that guy.

I think the awkward stuff makes the funny moments really shine, when someone hits a thing that sticks they have to latch onto it for dear life- it’s like no other comedy show because it’s just all desperation. I think it’s full of unexpected moments.

But yeah it’s definitely more geared towards people who have a high tolerance for cringe, bizarre, raunchy comedy.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 19, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Jimmy is great. Too bad he is horrible at playing the actual game.

Ichi. Ichi. Tamago.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

WeaponX posted:

Documental rules, there are fan subs of the later seasons I think they are up to 10. It’s great watching the progression of them starting to figure out the strategies needed to win as Matsumoto keeps changing the rules up and introducing more elements.

And yeah Jimmy is such a wildcard because just his natural personality and general incompetence is enough to make people crack immediately but his defense is so poor he can’t stop himself from laughing at the stupidest stuff.

Is there a link for the subs? I thought last year they hadn't subbed much of Documental.

Waltzing Along posted:

Jimmy is great. Too bad he is horrible at playing the actual game.

Ichi. Ichi. Tamago.

I think is the guy who eliminated himself the most times with his own stupid jokes but thats why he is hilarious. He has no intent on winning but just being an agent of chaos. Whenever Jimmy goes to the dressing room you know shits about to get real.

WeaponX posted:

I think the awkward stuff makes the funny moments really shine, when someone hits a thing that sticks they have to latch onto it for dear life- it’s like no other comedy show because it’s just all desperation. I think it’s full of unexpected moments.

But yeah it’s definitely more geared towards people who have a high tolerance for cringe, bizarre, raunchy comedy.

Ya I agree, I think Stare Out is right thats what I was mentioning it has lots of nudity/offputting jokes but the ones that work are amazing. I think the first 2 seasons aren't that crass but then it keeps going more and more crazy. This is definitely a show I wouldn't want to watch with anyone else though, unlike batsu games where most people can understand the funny part even though there is references to Japanese real life stuff.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ulio posted:

I think is the guy who eliminated himself the most times with his own stupid jokes but thats why he is hilarious. He has no intent on winning but just being an agent of chaos. Whenever Jimmy goes to the dressing room you know shits about to get real.

Yeah. In the earlier seasons he has done more. But the latest translated on Amazon series is the one where he gets himself canned by the number ichi and then by looking at an egg and laughing because he thought a candlestick was a scale. No one did anything to make him laugh, he just did it to himself.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

re: documental, i think the latest fan translated series is 8, and the latest officially translated series is 5? i may be missing something, tho

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Another recommendation I could make on the same lines is Last One Standing on Netflix, it has the same energy and a ton of current comedians (Karen Takizawa and Nobu hosting, Daigo involved in the shenanigans) plus some more straightforward actors around as well. I think it’s already subtitled, my wife devoured the season in a day or two.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Ulio posted:

Is there a link for the subs? I thought last year they hadn't subbed much of Documental.

Do a search for Documental on the GakiNoTsukai subreddit and you’ll find a bunch.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Or go to chikichikitube

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Also seconding the recommendation of Last One Standing.

I've been watching through the subbed videos of the shichi henge segment on Gaki no tsukai recently and some of those are extremely good.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
imo Documental is great because up until Season 10 it’s all experimental stuff that Matsumoto would think seems interesting on paper, and seeing it play out is where the fun begins. Some things land very well (introducing points to bring out more aggressive tactics, more women, zombies, Zakoshi), some fall flat (bringing Chidori together, only to find they’re both the weakest), but the beauty is we see it all play out and the reactions feel very real as a result. Even the cringe and awkward moments are hilarious since at least one person’s trying not to laugh from the odd tension.

Last One Standing is also recommended. The concept sounds weird and convoluted but you’ll get the gist of it very quick when you see it in action. Once it gets to the police arc it gets a lot better.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Aku posted:

Last One Standing is also recommended. The concept sounds weird and convoluted but you’ll get the gist of it very quick when you see it in action. Once it gets to the police arc it gets a lot better.

Yeah, that’s what I happened to see. Was pretty entertaining. Also squibs!!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Aku posted:

Once it gets to the police arc it gets a lot better.

I'm working my way through this now, and I wish the scenarios were a little more consistent. I understand now that on some level, the success/failure states are determined by the drama and not the other way around, but just last night I watched the episode where eight players are introduced for only two of them to survive the end of the episode and it kinda feels like a waste of talent

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

hexwren posted:

I'm working my way through this now, and I wish the scenarios were a little more consistent. I understand now that on some level, the success/failure states are determined by the drama and not the other way around, but just last night I watched the episode where eight players are introduced for only two of them to survive the end of the episode and it kinda feels like a waste of talent

I agree with that last bit, there were quite a few good comedians that got shafted. Personally I thought at least Itou (the guy with the goatee and glasses) should have made it with the other two.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

So Batsu games are pretty much dead I guess. Apparently there's a new law in Japan that prohibits using "violence" in comedy on public television. The most recent Kiki episode had no punishment either because of this (and partly Covid I think but mostly the law.)

I'd think it's not good news for Silent Library either then.

Good news! According to Matsumoto (along with rumors that he threatened to stop doing anything for that TV network again if they enforced it against Gaki), the BPO has cleared Gaki/the batsu games to continue.

Stare-Out posted:

Hamada. They had a pretty severe falling out like 20 or so years ago (around the time Matsumoto shaved his head which supposedly was because of this) over some TV deal that Matsumoto disagreed with and Hamada just took on both of their behalf (I think this is what happened, would be happy to be corrected though). That's when the whole thing started where they were friendly onscreen but effectively strangers offscreen, mostly due to Matsumoto and it's been more or less like that since. It's been played up for jokes in recent years but it's still a thing.

That's also why the Hamada's birthday episode from a few years back is kind of a big deal; all the Gaki members wrote a letter to Hamada and read it to him drunk. It was all pretty emotional but when it came time for Matsumoto to read his, he ultimately couldn't and refused. It's never been revealed what exactly was in that letter.

It's that, and also that when Hamada had his affair, Matsumoto straight-up asked him if he did it. Hamada lied to him, and then Matsumoto went around defending Hamada based on a lie. Which made Matsumoto look stupid.

Oh, and for those who want translated Documental, go to the Gaki no Tsukai subreddit and the links to all the seasons are in the top bar, along with about a thousand other things. If you're a Documental fan, you want to watch "Documentary of Documental" from there...it's the season 8 that Amazon said was unshowable.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I just finished with Documental season 10 and I'm basically totally sick of Zakoshi on the show. He's too good at the game but he refuses to let anyone else have a gag. It's just 100% Zakoshi when he's on and the only joke we get are the exaggerated impersonation bit.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

I just finished with Documental season 10 and I'm basically totally sick of Zakoshi on the show. He's too good at the game but he refuses to let anyone else have a gag. It's just 100% Zakoshi when he's on and the only joke we get are the exaggerated impersonation bit.

Season 11 isn't comedians. It's various entertainment people..a boy band member, an ex-sumo, etc. And yeah, I thought Daisuke should have won. He was the only one who scored a solid point when he nuked Kukky with the picture of fatsumoto.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Cocorico has a Youtube channel and they released a video for their international fans with an English translator which is very silly and awkward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfMQwsno16M

Today they released another one with Endo translating. He does not speak English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx9IphCRcFI

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Stare-Out posted:

Today they released another one with Endo translating. He does not speak English.

And another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylGB4KaYKzM

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

No new "No Laughing" this year but I guess it's cool again to do physical punishments because a new Silent Library came out recently and it's just as cruel as ever and it's great.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Looks like one of the good dumb Japanese game shows has been picked up for other regions by Netflix. If they ever want to go back and add subtitles there should be a decent backlog.

https://youtu.be/-IYzF8Tii8s

(I’ve also visited where they filmed this episode, which is extra funny)

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

harperdc posted:

Looks like one of the good dumb Japanese game shows has been picked up for other regions by Netflix. If they ever want to go back and add subtitles there should be a decent backlog.

https://youtu.be/-IYzF8Tii8s

(I’ve also visited where they filmed this episode, which is extra funny)

This show format seems very familiar. The name escapes me though.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

….Running Man?

I mean, I haven’t watched since Gary left, but they did a ton of those segments.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

This show format seems very familiar. The name escapes me though.

Cha$e. Predictibly it languished because it was on pre-SyFy The Sci-Fi Channel.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Japanese version usually uses decent landmarks (eg filming in Yokohama Chinatown during COVID at like 6 am) and has a ton of B-tier Japanese celebrities, TV talent and sundry actors, actresses and athletes as contestants. It’s at least got decent “oh, THAT guy!” value.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Navaash posted:

Cha$e. Predictibly it languished because it was on pre-SyFy The Sci-Fi Channel.

This was exactly it. Thanks!

harperdc posted:

The Japanese version usually uses decent landmarks (eg filming in Yokohama Chinatown during COVID at like 6 am) and has a ton of B-tier Japanese celebrities, TV talent and sundry actors, actresses and athletes as contestants. It’s at least got decent “oh, THAT guy!” value.

If that's the case I'll give it a shot. It was less interesting with just contestants.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 6, 2022

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So I watched two of the newest Japanese shows on Amazon:
Kamen Rider Black Sun: Surprisingly fun for a "serious" KR series.
Game of Spy: it's bad! At least the episodes are 20 min.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Run for the money was silly and dumb but in the best way, I wish there was more available because it's a fun format and I really enjoyed how far they went with the over the top aspect of the hunters.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Kingtheninja posted:

Run for the money was silly and dumb but in the best way, I wish there was more available because it's a fun format and I really enjoyed how far they went with the over the top aspect of the hunters.

The series has long had a goofy backstory/framing device/padding to make the broadcast fit the alloted time that the games (RfM and its sister series 戦闘中 aka Battle for Money) are entertainment for a future society run by the megacorp Chronos* and that the GM has time master powers irt the game and can therefore alter the playfield at will to keep the game interesting. For the longest time the GM's name was Tsukimura but I fell off watching for a bit and a lady had taken over the GM role as of the 2022 NYE episode.

*At least one of the aired episodes of Cha$e had props with the exact same Chronos logo as RfM, so someone at Fuji TV must have insisted on it being there as part of continuity. I giggle at thinking about how they in-universe explain how the American expansion went oh so wrong.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Anyone else here watch Alice in Borderland? I just finished it and it was a wild ride. A little upset over the ending of season 2 thought but at the same time it seems like there might be more coming.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I binged through Alice just when season 2 had landed and really enjoyed it as well.
I'm honestly perfectly fine with the ending of season 2 and would be fine if they decide that it was the final season.

One thing though, that final episode could use some serious editing. It was like they wanted to stretch it out, and some of the last scenes were really mind numbingly boring, especially considering the pace of all the other episodes.

I was also really impressed with how well "Empty Tokyo" looked. Sure there was plenty of CGI involved, but I was also thinking of how some of the streets looked really deserted, as if they had been closed off. I have no idea of easy that is in Japan, or if it's simply easier to just do everything in CGI, but it really worked.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I only got through half of season 1 when it came out but I should restart and watch both.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Anyone else here watch Alice in Borderland? I just finished it and it was a wild ride. A little upset over the ending of season 2 thought but at the same time it seems like there might be more coming.

I just finished season 2. The ending was OK, roughly what I expected. I think I liked season 2 slightly more than season 1.

Season 1 felt like it went into the drama of The Beach for too many episodes. I like that season 2 was mostly actually playing the games, with a few characters exploring trying to find details of the world.

Was there a refresher at all for the second season? I forgot half the characters from season 1, so some of the reveals didn't work on me in season 2. I tried looking one thing up and regretted it, everything was spoilers for farther in the season than I was at.

I was curious if the manga ended the same way so I looked it up.

Roughly the same ending, but there's a sequel manga set years later. I guess in the sequel Arisu and Usagi get married, Usagi is in labor and Arisu rushes to the hospital. On the way he gets in a car accident and is back in the Borderland with all his memories again, and has to play another game.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I noticed a couple of new shows coming on Netflix this week

Informa
Tiger and Dragon
Ariyoshi's Assists
IWGP: Ikebukuro West Gate Park

Informa looks to be a brand new series and Ariyoshi's Assists is a variety style show.

Tiger and Dragon seems to be a one season only series from 2015 and I can't see if IWGP is the one from 2000 or 2020.
Does anyone know of these shows?

Anything else from Japan that has been released on Netflix recently that's worth checking out?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Fart of Presto posted:

I noticed a couple of new shows coming on Netflix this week

Informa
Tiger and Dragon
Ariyoshi's Assists
IWGP: Ikebukuro West Gate Park

Ariyoshi’s Assists is interesting because it’s going to be broadcast TV-style - maybe not live, but a set air time each week. It’s also hosted by the delightful goblin that is Fuwa-chan, who may have capitalized the most from COVID out of any geinojin I can think of.

(It’s also notable because it’s coming from Netflix Japan’s tie-up with a major domestic OTA broadcaster, can’t remember if it’s TBS or Nihon TV, but either way, that’s like having a Tonight Show spinoff on Netflix)

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_RKfdeKwW8

Takeshi's Castle is coming back.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I saw an ad of some kind a year or so ago looking for groups to participate in casting calls, so I knew it was just a matter of time :sickos:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lmao of course Chiitan is in an episode

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I think the new Takeshis Castle was released on Amazon japan, does anyone know if there's a good way to watch it in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Bip Roberts posted:

I think the new Takeshis Castle was released on Amazon japan, does anyone know if there's a good way to watch it in the US?

Amazon prime japan sub + vpn.

Unless the US amazon prime sub works, but I don't think it does. At least not fully.