Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Amazon prime japan sub + vpn.

Unless the US amazon prime sub works, but I don't think it does. At least not fully.

I did some more research on r/Japanesegsmeshows and the rest of the world has a later 2023 release date, presumably with professional subs. I'll probably snoop reddit to track the fansub status but my Japanese isn't good enough for high comprehension unsubbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

I did some more research on r/Japanesegsmeshows and the rest of the world has a later 2023 release date, presumably with professional subs. I'll probably snoop reddit to track the fansub status but my Japanese isn't good enough for high comprehension unsubbed.

Pardon my bluntness…

…it’s Takeshi’s loving Castle, how much language do you need? It’s not exactly a costume drama here, it’s not even the No-Laughing Gakki no Tsukai NYE specials where it adds context, people are trying to finish an obstacle course and fail to do so in hilarious fashion.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

harperdc posted:

Pardon my bluntness…

…it’s Takeshi’s loving Castle, how much language do you need? It’s not exactly a costume drama here, it’s not even the No-Laughing Gakki no Tsukai NYE specials where it adds context, people are trying to finish an obstacle course and fail to do so in hilarious fashion.

The games certainly do speak for themselves, but there's tons of 'fluff' in the JP version that would need subs to understand.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Takishis Castle is on prime now. It's a pretty good series and hits the spot with a whole array of minor celebrities eating poo poo on the universally impossible contraptions they built.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Takishis Castle is on prime now. It's a pretty good series and hits the spot with a whole array of minor celebrities eating poo poo on the universally impossible contraptions they built.

I saw a promo clip and who was featured as a boss celebrity for the show, and winced when Ichikawa Ennosuke came up :stare: Since, you know, he’s in a wee bit of trouble at the moment

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

There are some rumors going around right now about Matsumoto being a forceful sex creep :(

There's an article online about it (in Japanese) but someone on reddit summarized a translation:

(Potential trigger warning)

quote:

From the rough Google Translation of this article:
- several women were gathered together by junior comedians known to Matsumoto at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Roppongi to attend a number of drinking parties.
- they were unaware of Matsumoto's involvement in them and their phones were confiscated prior to entry, only being told that it was because there were going to be 'some super big names' attending.
- after about three hours, one of the comedians declared that some games would be played and individually the women were led to a separate room where Matsumoto was waiting.
- Matsumoto is said to have among other things, kissed the women without warning, stripped naked and declared his desire for them to have his children.
- some of the women have talked about getting PTSD from these parties/Matsumoto's actions; the woman interviewed for this particular article was inspired by the recent widespread Johnny's sex scandal to come forward.
- Matsumoto and Yoshimoto were asked for comment but have not responded and Matsumoto brushed off a Shukan Bunshun reporter when directly approached today.
- A full 7-page expose on these parties was published on Shukan Bunshun's digital platforms today and is set to go to print tomorrow, revealing the 'thank you' message Matsumoto sent to each woman who attended, the identity of the popular comedian who helped set up these parties and other accusations against him from another woman who has a boyfriend who is corroborating her recollection of the separate party she attended.

I loving hope it's not true but that's an awful lot of detailed info.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Is there anywhere that streams Kouhaku live?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

WTF Hamada was supposed to be the jerk, not Macchan

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Really excited to read the 7 page expose and see how they report on this kind of thing. I wonder if this means he will retire.

gay for gacha fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 26, 2023

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Is there anywhere that streams Kouhaku live?

NHK World doesn't? I haven't thought to look, but can keep my eyes open.

gay for gacha posted:

Really excited to read the 7 page expose and see how they report on this kind of thing. I wonder if this means he will retire.

I wouldn't be surprised if this sticks that he might have to. Downtown have also lost a bit of juice recently anyways, feels like we're about to have a generational shift sooner than later. (Source: my wife watches so much loving TV)

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
That's really crap and I hope it's not true, but given everything else we know about the entertainment industry the world over, I'm not particularly confident.

harperdc posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if this sticks that he might have to. Downtown have also lost a bit of juice recently anyways, feels like we're about to have a generational shift sooner than later. (Source: my wife watches so much loving TV)

Is this about Japanese TV phasing out their somewhat sadistic brand of humour?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yoshimoto released a statement denying any of this stuff about Matsumoto is true but we'll see how it goes.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Does anyone have access to the expose. It seems like you have to pay for it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Is this about Japanese TV phasing out their somewhat sadistic brand of humour?

Nah, just generational change. The Downtown guys helped spark the ‘manzai boom’ and that was in the 1980s, there’s an entire era and cohort of comedians from that period who have been on TV and moving up the ranks since the mid-80s or 1990s. So that’s…30 years.

There are a few shows that feature younger comedy duos/groups, especially in the so-called ‘seventh generation.’ Think EXIT or Shimofuri Myojo (Soshina and Seiya). There are also slightly older acts much more centered too (Chocolate Planet, Chidori, Kamaitachi…).

So yeah. Just eras waxing and waning. If this scandal with Matsumoto sticks (saw it briefly mentioned on the evening news but was dealing with a toddler so wasn’t listening closely) then it could accelerate a giant out.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

https://www.yoshimoto.co.jp/info/1371/

Here is the official statement from yoshimoto

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

harperdc posted:

Nah, just generational change. The Downtown guys helped spark the ‘manzai boom’ and that was in the 1980s, there’s an entire era and cohort of comedians from that period who have been on TV and moving up the ranks since the mid-80s or 1990s. So that’s…30 years.

There are a few shows that feature younger comedy duos/groups, especially in the so-called ‘seventh generation.’ Think EXIT or Shimofuri Myojo (Soshina and Seiya). There are also slightly older acts much more centered too (Chocolate Planet, Chidori, Kamaitachi…).

So yeah. Just eras waxing and waning. If this scandal with Matsumoto sticks (saw it briefly mentioned on the evening news but was dealing with a toddler so wasn’t listening closely) then it could accelerate a giant out.

I would be sad if Wednesday night downtown was canceled. I don't even think mastumoto plays a strong role he just kind of sits there and shouts but the show itself is one of the funner comedy programs

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

News: Matsumoto Hitoshi is ‘suspending’ his career due to the sexual assault allegations. He’s also looking to fight the Shukan Bunshun story in court - “If I engage in a trial, I will no longer be able to devote myself to my job as a comedian,” Yoshimoto Kogyo quoted Matsumoto as saying (from that article).

quote:

Yoshimoto Kogyo has denied the allegations, suggesting legal action will be taken against the publisher.

“I’ll fight the allegations, which are totally groundless,” Matsumoto said on X, formerly known as Twitter, on Jan. 8.

He also promised to appear on “Wide na Show,” a Sunday morning tabloid program, as his last TV appearance before the announced hiatus.

This was all over the news tonight and also included man-on-the-street interviews. I guess we’ll see.

—-

In less funny anecdotal news - a side effect of the earthquake and tsunami threat on New Year’s Day in Ishikawa is that the broadcasters cut into shows planned for a large at-home audience on that New Year’s Day, or canceled specials in the evening as live coverage continued. From memory, the live breaking coverage lasted until 8-9 pm or so. I think my wife had to delete three or four shows she had planned to record that evening because they weren’t the original specials.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Matsumoto said he'd be on Wide na Show to talk about the situation or something along those lines, did that happen or has it yet to?

But yeah I don't know how to feel about the whole thing, gonna have to wait and see how it shakes out but doesn't sound good. I'm guessing there are a few Wednesday shows they have in pocket they can air but will they if Matsumoto is in them considering his hiatus? Gaki's gonna be weird too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Matsumoto said he'd be on Wide na Show to talk about the situation or something along those lines, did that happen or has it yet to?

that show runs on Sunday mornings and films on Saturdays, I'm assuming he'll be there either this weekend or next.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, okay cool.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I read a comment on one of those articles about this being a playbook basically where they go battle this in court until the public forgets about it and then drop the case and move on. So my guess is this is that

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

gay for gacha posted:

I read a comment on one of those articles about this being a playbook basically where they go battle this in court until the public forgets about it and then drop the case and move on. So my guess is this is that

Thinking about it, it reminds me of the Johnny Kitagawa lawsuit against a magazine in the early 2000s - where he won that they shouldn’t have published the article, but not that it was inaccurate, as a fuzzy memory. But I’m not sure if that works in Japan in TYOOL 2024.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Current situation (from Reddit):

quote:

- Gaki no Tsukai will continue to record new episodes without Matsumoto. January 14 and 21 episodes that have Matsumoto in them will air as normal: https://news.livedoor.com/topics/detail/25675065/

- Downtown DX is on a 2 week break and their current January 25 episode preview has 'Regular lineup is being adjusted', probably meaning Hamada will host it alone or with someone else if the episode airs as planned: https://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/25675119

- Matsumoto's planned Wide na Show appearance for this Sunday has now been cancelled by Fuji TV execs: https://news.livedoor.com/topics/detail/25674944

- Recordings for new episodes of Wednesday Downtown are being suspended: https://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/25669975

- Tamura Kenji, who now lives in America, acknowledged his participation in some of the drinking parties detailed in today's Bunshun article but denied the allegations of sexual harassment, though he ended up apologizing on air during his radio show today anyway: https://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/25674005

poo poo's not looking good.

More here.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

https://gakiarchives.com/video/558 Looks like that press conference training might come in handy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So the current situation seems to be that Matsumoto is going on hiatus and suing the magazine that first reported all this stuff. Yoshimoto seems to now stepping back from Matsumoto's side with some general "sexual harassment is a bad thing" stuff while neither condemning nor defending Matsumoto.

Also another magazine is reporting on this stuff with their own sources and some more women have come forward talking about forceful and coercive encounters with Matsumoto in these drinking parties.

So Matsumoto won't be on any shows like Wednesday Downtown and Gaki no Tsukai for the foreseeable future. Supposedly Hamada was going to address the whole scandal on Downtown DX but ultimately didn't. We'll have to see if they just act like nothing's going on when the next Gaki ep airs. Gonna be awkward, I'd imagine.