Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Digital Scumbag posted:

Anyone have some suggestions for a beginner entry? Does Japan have an HBO that produces original series? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but that's about what the quality I'd like to shoot for.

I don't really have a taste for the awkward comedy that seems so rampant, but I do enjoy the action/drama movies that I catch, and the themes, and the serious-faces.

You (and everyone else) should watch Hero. It was highly recommended in a previous Japanese Drama thread, and it definitely deserves the praise it gets. Great show from 2001 starring one of my favorite Japanese actors, Kimura Takuya.

I'd say it fits what you're looking for pretty well. Here's a copy-paste synopsis:

quote:

Kohei Kuryu, played by Kimura Takuya, is a former juvenile delinquent that drops out of junior high and goes on to earn a high school equivalency diploma. After passing the law board exams, Kuryu becomes a prosecutor. Not your typical prosecutor, which is quickly seen through the clothes that he wears, Kuryu possesses quick instincts and a kind of cleverness that only someone raised on the streets could have.

Links:
Part 1
Part 2
Subtitles
Special episode

Keeping out of the realm of comedy stuff, I also really liked Fireboys and Change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shlapintogan posted:

Imagine going through a metal detector and hearing "BA-BAAAAAAN [your name] OUT!" And then having the entire security team come slap you in the rear end with a rubber baton.

It'd be the best countermeasure to terrorism ever. :allears:

And making people play a batsu game if they laugh at the security measures such as the shoe strip search policy.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Dr_Amazing posted:

A few months back it seemed like This song was playing pretty much everywhere in Japan.

Oh wow, thank you for explaining where that came from. I work in a few elementary schools in southern Japan and for a while it seemed like every day I'd do the dance with the kids at the end of class. It's fun to do, but I have no idea how six year-olds can memorize all those moves.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Kikkoman posted:

Oh wow, thank you for explaining where that came from. I work in a few elementary schools in southern Japan and for a while it seemed like every day I'd do the dance with the kids at the end of class. It's fun to do, but I have no idea how six year-olds can memorize all those moves.

Constant repetition. If it's one of those children's shows that's constantly rerun, little kids will watch it. When those credits come one, you can bet each child is on his or her feet and dancing along.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For those of you who don't follow the Gakifiles blog, Zurui has announced the entire subbing team for this years Batsu game and it looks like he is going to be heading it up this year. Here is the post:

quote:

Airport Batsu Game Subbing Team
I would like to introduce the subbing team for the up and coming Airport batsu game.

Most of you already know eChie. She has contributed tons of translations since she started subbing Gaki material. Since she is a native Japanese speaker, she will be focusing on helping me with the bulk of the translations. (check out her blog for interesting stuff about Japan)

SSSI has been subbing Gaki for awhile now and you can see his work on this blog, just check out the Kiki category. While he is a very capable translator, he will be focusing on timing and typesetting.

Chidegi has been helping us with our larger projects such as the Ashita ga Arusa drama and the Matsumoto Professional documentary. He will be our main timer.

A new addition to our team is Vanilla, she helped me on the Saya Zamurai movie, although she doesn't have a lot of experience subbing, she is a native Japanese speaker and will be helping us with spot translations.

Although I believe that we have enough people working on this project for it to run smoothly, we may need additional help. If so, I know Dith will gladly volunteer his services. You can see his work on our contributors page.

I hope that this year will be as funny as last year and would like to thank everyone for the continued support of this blog and our work.

I have created a progress page for posting updates and information. Please post your questions and comments on this new page.

http://gakifiles.blogspot.com/p/2012-airport-batsu-game-subtitle.html

The above page is going to be updated with the progress on the subbing of the series. They are planning to release it an hour at a time and at the end they will release the full subs. Zurui is also always looking for help with the batsu game and it takes a lot of time and work to get this thing going so if any of you are able to help with subs or know someone who would be willing to help please contact Zurui on the blog.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

SpazmasterX posted:

Constant repetition. If it's one of those children's shows that's constantly rerun, little kids will watch it. When those credits come one, you can bet each child is on his or her feet and dancing along.

The funny thing is that I've never met another person who's actually seen the show. It's not really a kid's show but the little girl became an overnight child star. I think it's just on the radio a lot and you'd always hear it playing in malls and things.

I'm actually not sure how they all memorized the dance either.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
They're actually releasing the Hamada figure from last year. Awfully expensive though.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Gackt posted:

They're actually releasing the Hamada figure from last year. Awfully expensive though.

But will you be able to make it backflip as well as Matsumoto does? :colbert:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Shlapintogan posted:

But will you be able to make it backflip as well as Matsumoto does? :colbert:

Not without breaking into laughter and getting beaten for it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Gackt posted:

I believe they stated the original cost about 300,000 yen or roughly $3800 at today's going rate. This one being about $225 actually seems like quite the bargain for the big Gaki/Downtown fan. They seem to be nuts over figurines over there and I imagine that's probably not as crazy pricewise as it seems to us.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gackt posted:

Holy gently caress would I buy this if I could warrant spending $200 on something like that.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I literally make more now than I have at any time in my life, and while it isn't that much, I will totally blow it all on Hamada figures.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

SaviourX posted:

I literally make more now than I have at any time in my life, and while it isn't that much, I will totally blow it all on Hamada figures.

Send me one please. :v:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I really liked this one series called Osen, which was about a young woman who's inherited the proprietorship of a traditional style Japanese restaurant. I found it quite by accident after my wife directed me to find "Japanese cooking shows" (still haven't found any -- of the Food Network instructional style -- that have been subbed). Anyway, Osen goes into a LOT of detail about traditional Japanese food and culture (especially the traditions and etiquette surrounding eating and serving), really really low-intensity drama and has a light romantic plot.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Gackt posted:

Oh man, I'm so going to have a Hamada VS. Arino figure battle.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Did anyone watch the batsu live? I believe it is still going on but I always like to avoid watching it until I can get the entire thing subbed.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Did anyone watch the batsu live? I believe it is still going on but I always like to avoid watching it until I can get the entire thing subbed.

I watched for the first half hour, then fiance's dad switched over to kouhaku. Then after it was over I flipped back and caught the end credits. Wish I had recorded it, because we were laughing pretty hard.

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
Watching a replay of the full batsu with commercials right now. It's pretty amazing the amount of phrases I have picked up over the years watching gaki shows. The commercials also seem pretty top notch.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Man, this is going to take a lot of willpower not to just watch the raw. Looking forward to this in particular:

quote:

"That" comedian will be working at the airline call center handling customer complaints...

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Saw a few clips, looks hilarious as always. Egashira's appearance is over the top and hilarious.

As usual, just seeing/hearing Matsumoto laugh cracks me up. The outfits are...interesting, especially Hamada's.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

quote:

"That" comedian will be working at the airline call center handling customer complaints...

Oh man. Jimmy Onishi slays me pretty much every time. I kind of hope he also has a segment where he has a chat with someone who used to be big in Japanese Politics. When he talked with the former Defense Minister in No Laughing Spies, he had me rolling.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I watched the first chunk of it but my Japanese isn't really good enough to follow along with no subs and I think my girlfriend was getting annoyed that I kept leaning over to ask "What'd that guy say? What did that guy say while I was talking?"

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Gordong Dongbay posted:

I always like to avoid watching it until I can get the entire thing subbed.

Yeah, I need to be able to sit down and watch the entire thing for the full effect. I am so glad I was introduced to Gaki. It's 100% grade A comedy.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

If anyone wants to watch the Airport Batsu, here it is: http://crazyontv.com/gaki-no-tsukai-airport-batsu-game/

I am trying to avoid watching it until subs come out.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Now the worst part of the year comes where we have to wait for the batsu to be subbed :( They work incredibly fast but drat if it still isn't quick enough for me :colbert:

I really do feel for the subbers, I used to keep up with the forums more and every other post is "Hey I'm new here and I don't want to sound pushy but are the subs out yet?" That has to get old after awhile.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
I watched the first 10 minutes before I forced myself to stop, the torture is even worse now :(

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Now the worst part of the year comes where we have to wait for the batsu to be subbed :( They work incredibly fast but drat if it still isn't quick enough for me :colbert:

I really do feel for the subbers, I used to keep up with the forums more and every other post is "Hey I'm new here and I don't want to sound pushy but are the subs out yet?" That has to get old after awhile.

I think most people think subbing is just a program where 1 guy listens to it then just types it in and it magically appears perfectly timed. I've done a little work with subbing and it can take just forever. For 30-60 minute show, sure, you can set aside a day or two and really plow through it if you get in the groove but a 6 hour show in your spare time with all that goes on during a typical batsu game? That's a loving ton of super tedious work, especially when you need to make things match up with what's going on visually.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crotch Bat posted:

I think most people think subbing is just a program where 1 guy listens to it then just types it in and it magically appears perfectly timed. I've done a little work with subbing and it can take just forever. For 30-60 minute show, sure, you can set aside a day or two and really plow through it if you get in the groove but a 6 hour show in your spare time with all that goes on during a typical batsu game? That's a loving ton of super tedious work, especially when you need to make things match up with what's going on visually.

Yep, take all that and then on top of it all color everything to make it visually pleasing and you have a lot of work ahead of your self. Most of the people who bug the hell out of them are just people who heard about the show and aren't actually members of the community. There is always a surge of new people showing up on the boards around this time of year.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Gordong Dongbay posted:

It's at times like these i wish i had taken Japanese classes instead of Spanish.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Many scenes in the big batsus have cracked me up (Newspaper Chief editor), but I dug the style of 2003 and 2004 (hot spring and yugawara) more. Maybe that's just my own personal style of humor in general. Hope to see that again some year, a less physical, more mental batsu, before they really grow too old.

Yamazaki, the Japanese incarnation of Benny Hill posted:

I don't see the meaning of all this
None of these go together, When you lift the lid open
So this is a hotel man

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
Hell yes, Gaki no Tsukai. Watching their No Laughing game has basically become a major yearly event for myself and friends. Glad someone finally made a thread about it. I can't wait for this year's No Fear section, and whatever elaborate way they're going to deliver Tanaka's thai kick.

I wish it wasn't so hard to describe the concept of four Japanese men getting slapped on the rear end as the funniest thing I've ever seen when I'm trying to explain this show to people.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

MrLonghair posted:

Many scenes in the big batsus have cracked me up (Newspaper Chief editor), but I dug the style of 2003 and 2004 (hot spring and yugawara) more. Maybe that's just my own personal style of humor in general. Hope to see that again some year, a less physical, more mental batsu, before they really grow too old.

I'm with you, really miss the sleeping bits where they would play Konya ga yama da or the Showhei HEY.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Hospital is easily #1 for me as it had it all but Police and Onsen Yugawara are right up there for me as well as Newspaper. I appreciate Spy and Hotel but both of those seemed to drag a bit at times. I know Hotel had the bad weather and thus couldn't do some of the stuff they were supposed to but it still felt lacking in comparison to years past.

Hospital is what I show any first-timers, along with 24hr tag. Yugawara comes later. I think you really need to watch Hamada do his act a few times before you can fully appreciate Yugawara because he lets Tanaka and especially Yamasaki just walk all over him to get a lot of good laughs and moments. Same goes for the Police one, I think it's why I like both so much.

Downtime is easily the funniest parts of any batsu game. The times when they just sit around and start to turn against each other to get a laugh are amazing. I think the scene in Newspaper where Hamada complains about the watchmen and gets slapped and it starts a wave of punishment for the next 3 minutes is just amazing and maybe my favorite thing from GnT.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 2, 2012

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Viktor posted:

I'm with you, really miss the sleeping bits where they would play Konya ga yama da or the Showhei HEY.

Poor Endou can't ever get through the Showhei HEY~ bits.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I just started introducing my gf to the Batsu Games and all surrounding it (she especially likes the Absolutely Tasty series).

I started out with the Matsumoto Scary Hotel one. It's not really comparable to their other Batsu games like Hospital or even the Onsen ones but I feel like it's a good introduction to the group and it's really funny throughout the whole two hours. It's never not funny to see someone scared shitless by whatever, no matter the cultural background or what's going on. The two Onsen Batsus are okay-ish, to me, because I've been following the group for a while and can appreciate some very specific japanese humor. But to someone sort of new or not very familiar with GnT, I think they're a bad starting point and, personally, not all that funny.

Especially the first Onsen one with Matsumoto, Endo, Yamasaki and Tanaka is kind of hard to appreciate. There's a lot of very specific japanese humor involved, like Fukawa and his "european" friend who keeps asking him to "just tell him one more time what he heard". Why is that funny to anyone? Even I still have no idea. Or Itao coming in and scolding Tanaka again and again for "being late". It's reasonably funny but for someone who has no idea who Itao is or kind of knows the whole junior/senior mechanic that's going on for the japanese, it's just them laughing at something that's not funny at all.

I also appreciate the newer ones more simply due to the fact that they all take part in them and not just a couple of them while the other bunch set up the traps. It's funny still, don't get me wrong, but I just love them sitting around their desks, pulling out the drawers, starting to work against each other and the whole dynamic that the group has going.

I agree the newer ones drag every now and again but I don't think it's because of them having lots of unfunny poo poo in them. I think it's because it went from being ~2 hours long to being ~6 hours long. It's bound to drag at some point or have some things that you just don't find funny at all. I could, for example, do without all the plays the constantly have (Rocky, Star Wars and god knows what else). I just don't find them funny.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I'd agree with the first visit to the onsen but the 2nd one doesn't require much background, in my opinion. I'm not sure if there's something else to get with Fukawa and his friend outside of the guy just being a "typical gaijin" and being rude, interrupting, etc.

And yea, I hate the plays. I get why they like them but I do not. Usually always skip right over them.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I'm just waiting to see if they got Masahiro Chono to slap Yamasaki again. He always gets so over-the-top upset about it (then again, getting slapped by a professional wrestler would be something to get over-the-top upset about). I think it was in No Laughing Hotel where they had Chono performing magic tricks and through some convoluted chain of events, Yamasaki has to take the fall because Chono's cards went missing and I ended up nearly choking to death on my drink.

Y'know what bugs me, though? When they find buttons or DVDs in their desks and they don't go through all of them. I'm still wondering what the other two or three buttons they found in No Laughing Hotel did.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Shlapintogan posted:

I'm just waiting to see if they got Masahiro Chono to slap Yamasaki again. He always gets so over-the-top upset about it (then again, getting slapped by a professional wrestler would be something to get over-the-top upset about).

He purposely hams it up so everyone else gets forced out a half-dozen times to his one slap in the face.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shlapintogan posted:

I'm just waiting to see if they got Masahiro Chono to slap Yamasaki again. He always gets so over-the-top upset about it (then again, getting slapped by a professional wrestler would be something to get over-the-top upset about). I think it was in No Laughing Hotel where they had Chono performing magic tricks and through some convoluted chain of events, Yamasaki has to take the fall because Chono's cards went missing and I ended up nearly choking to death on my drink.

Y'know what bugs me, though? When they find buttons or DVDs in their desks and they don't go through all of them. I'm still wondering what the other two or three buttons they found in No Laughing Hotel did.

There is a lot of stuff that gets cut out in the broadcasting of the games. You gotta remember, they have 24 hours and probably more of footage so if a prank doesn't get a really funny reaction they will probably cut it out considering they have to get the show down to about 6 hours or so. I would imagine that some of the button stuff doesn't quite get them so they leave it out.

Also yeah he does ham it up. While the games are 100% real to my knowledge and they don't know whats happening going in they still are also comedians and know when a certain situation needs to be exaggerated to get that extra effect. I think that is why so many people love the bits of them just sitting around and talking because it seems so real compared to some of the more over the top stunts they work into the program.

My favorite part from any batsu though has to be in hospital where the guy kept coming back with cups of pee. Watching him spill it all over the place while trying to hand it to them was loving hilarious.

Gordong Dongbay fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

There's loads of great stuff in every Batsu but I have to say my favorite part, by far, are always the desk drawers. They never fail to make me laugh, even if they have absolutely nothing in them. Apart from the obvious stuff like Matsumotos drawer blowing up in the Newspaper Batsu and the Hamada doll, I love it when they pull one open, fully expecting something awful to happen and all that happens is a single pen rolls out like it's nothing. Cracks me up like crazy!