Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

flatluigi posted:

what's the over/under on people in blackface this time around

0.5, take the under. They got dinged for it last year, that mistake won’t happen two years in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

This is key. It's Japanese made for a Japanese market to Japanese humor standards, not a production made to be tolerable by San Fransisco/Austin inhabitants.

right but even still it shouldn't have blackface.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

I had to look it up because "Antisocial Organizations" is kind of vague.

That’s Japan-bureaucracy-speak for organized crime yes. It’s the standard Japanese phrase and English translation to my knowledge.

And yeah this has already led to various TV programs getting the temporary hook. Watching people tap-dance around is amusing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’s probably because they just started a new season, which only makes sense in the land of Japanese TV rights.

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

Two different bus sightings this year. One had an icon with one of those square-top black graduation hats, and then one detailing in English some sort of institute probably for higher learning.

Graduation hats is mostly a university thing in Japan so it’s probably to do with that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

This year’s Gaki was pretty drat funny, but also rewards a bit of knowledge of Japanese celebrity scandal.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Terrace House production to be terminated. Not terribly shocking.

https://twitter.com/jt_osaki/status/1265603077299597312

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Even with engineering it's still seen as very real in Japan, think The Real World in its first few seasons. Hence the hate, hence the SNS drama...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

I missed some of the things from previous batsus (no Jimmy this year) but overall it was great. Heipo just kills me.

god how much has changed since this debuted live :psyduck:

there's one skit that my wife told me not to quote in public

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Aren't the SMAP guys like 50 too though

Lol yup. I’m here for the idea, but it’s not like that group is fresh and new. Not sure who they’d pass the torch to but that idea isn’t half bad.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kikkoman posted:

Lol Terrace House: Opening New Doors's model boy Shion got caught with weed

Not even real weed, but weed vape juice!

But hey ho this is the country where suspicion of cocaine is enough to memory hole somebody for a year or two. Shouldn’t be a big surprise.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Today is Hana Kimuras birthday, i sent £15 to a suicide prevention charity in memory of her 💜

May not have made it outside of wrestling circles but Pro Wrestling Tees has a memorial shirt for sale and they’ve said all proceeds from it will go to Hana’s mother. Another idea if you’re inclined.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

TeaJay posted:

Judging from the trailer the focus is again on CRAZY CELEBRITY CAMEOS! which is really boring. Hopefully we'll get something fresh too.

that's like 99% of Japanese variety shows, the hook is seeing who shows up (with something to promote).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Great Sasuke (Ninja Warrior) this year. Only minor COVID alterations aside from no audience and no foreign competitors. Nagano and Yamada came out of retirement as a morale booster. Stage 2 got intense with the addition of the Rolling Log, and Stage 3 had great atmosphere being run during rain.

Stage 3 with the cliffhanger was pretty stupid

hexwren posted:

Where does anyone even watch Sasuke at this point? Everywhere I look comes up dry and if there are any available, it's inevitably zero-seed torrents

on TV! :downs:

[edit] "My Daughter Can't Get a Boyfriend" is far and away the early clubhouse leader in my wife's rankings of the new drama series out this season.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

Long story short, he did a performance at a party for an "anti-social organization" (yakuza). When the press called him out about it, he claimed that he was just there with some friends and didn't get paid for it, but then he was investigated, and his bank records showed he did get paid for it.

Despite all the pop culture romanticism of the yakuza, any actual association with yakuza is severely frowned upon by the general public.

it's technically illegal (for the last 8-9 years at least?) to have any business dealings with known anti-social organization groups or their members. Banks aren't supposed to let them have accounts, for example. So performing officially and receiving pay for it would definitely fall under that law if they knew about it at the time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It looks like they’re re-tooling it to be a more traditional thing. Hence the line in the Japanese about switching from a “no laughing” to “laughing is good” format. So I guess we’ll see what happens closer to New Year’s.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Are there any good Japanese crime procedurals? We've watched some BBC ones recently and they are a nice change from the US ones. We are curious what they are like in other countries.

Aibo is your standard smart detectives solve the crime of the week deal, and is actually pretty decent. Not sure what the distribution is like outside of Japan for that, but they’re up to 20 seasons, and similar to Doctor Who, the ‘partner’ changes occasionally.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

Oh, I guess you're new to Japanese television.

The Aibo site lists on demand on Telasa but also advertises the DVD/Blu-ray box sets, so yes, Japan is still Japan.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I just thought that because all anime is available on streaming somewhere and amazon prime has some stuff like documental that there would be more scattered around. Netflix has Midnight Diner which we've really loved. But I guess that is based on a manga.

A lot of the new season dramas are based on manga or light comics in any case.

And just from watching a lot because my wife is really into watching TV, they’re putting them up onto the Japanese platforms, especially for new or recent stuff and especially the ones on main broadcast and not BS channels. Amazon and Netflix here aren’t taking syndicated shows like in the US (Friends, Seinfeld, etc), but making originals.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Omicron been running wild, tons of celebs having to be out and about possibly without masks have gotten the ‘Rona in the past month.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

There was a program that Matsumoto and Hamada did pre-pandemic where they would go bar hop and interview different celebrities at different places (and get staggeringly drunk step by step). Because they can’t do that because COVID, Matsumoto has instead shifted to a “diet” version of Suberanai no Hanashi on a weekly basis. My wife records that (and the ‘real’ Suberanai no Hanashi when those specials happen) so I’ve watched them a bunch, they’re definitely decent stories. They’ve also widened out in the past two years and actually included some women in their panels too :aaa:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

gay for gacha posted:

I've never seen that one. I've seen the uh 人志松本の酒のツマミになる話. But they don't bar hop, they just drink at the table with a bunch of celebrities and tell stories. Do you know the name of the one where they go to bars?

yeah that's the one now (specifically officially from last April), the predecessor was apparently called ダウンタウンなう (Downtown Now), which does appear on YouTube if you search.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

So Batsu games are pretty much dead I guess. Apparently there's a new law in Japan that prohibits using "violence" in comedy on public television. The most recent Kiki episode had no punishment either because of this (and partly Covid I think but mostly the law.)

I'd think it's not good news for Silent Library either then.

Gonna need to see some sources on this, because “public” television is just NHK. Now if it’s “broadcast,” then yeah, that may limit things depending on time or channel.

Bip Roberts posted:

I wonder if this will push more content into production by the streaming companies.

The traditional outlets (eg all the major TV broadcasters like Asahi, Fuji, etc, plus the likes of Yoshimoto) are finally working together with Netflix and Amazon to a greater extent, and there’s also a few local options that are in the Hulu mold - on demand for stuff on broadcast, and some originals too. I think this will grow.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Another recommendation I could make on the same lines is Last One Standing on Netflix, it has the same energy and a ton of current comedians (Karen Takizawa and Nobu hosting, Daigo involved in the shenanigans) plus some more straightforward actors around as well. I think it’s already subtitled, my wife devoured the season in a day or two.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Aku posted:

Last One Standing is also recommended. The concept sounds weird and convoluted but you’ll get the gist of it very quick when you see it in action. Once it gets to the police arc it gets a lot better.

Yeah, that’s what I happened to see. Was pretty entertaining. Also squibs!!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Looks like one of the good dumb Japanese game shows has been picked up for other regions by Netflix. If they ever want to go back and add subtitles there should be a decent backlog.

https://youtu.be/-IYzF8Tii8s

(I’ve also visited where they filmed this episode, which is extra funny)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Japanese version usually uses decent landmarks (eg filming in Yokohama Chinatown during COVID at like 6 am) and has a ton of B-tier Japanese celebrities, TV talent and sundry actors, actresses and athletes as contestants. It’s at least got decent “oh, THAT guy!” value.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Fart of Presto posted:

I noticed a couple of new shows coming on Netflix this week

Informa
Tiger and Dragon
Ariyoshi's Assists
IWGP: Ikebukuro West Gate Park

Ariyoshi’s Assists is interesting because it’s going to be broadcast TV-style - maybe not live, but a set air time each week. It’s also hosted by the delightful goblin that is Fuwa-chan, who may have capitalized the most from COVID out of any geinojin I can think of.

(It’s also notable because it’s coming from Netflix Japan’s tie-up with a major domestic OTA broadcaster, can’t remember if it’s TBS or Nihon TV, but either way, that’s like having a Tonight Show spinoff on Netflix)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I saw an ad of some kind a year or so ago looking for groups to participate in casting calls, so I knew it was just a matter of time :sickos:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

I did some more research on r/Japanesegsmeshows and the rest of the world has a later 2023 release date, presumably with professional subs. I'll probably snoop reddit to track the fansub status but my Japanese isn't good enough for high comprehension unsubbed.

Pardon my bluntness…

…it’s Takeshi’s loving Castle, how much language do you need? It’s not exactly a costume drama here, it’s not even the No-Laughing Gakki no Tsukai NYE specials where it adds context, people are trying to finish an obstacle course and fail to do so in hilarious fashion.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Takishis Castle is on prime now. It's a pretty good series and hits the spot with a whole array of minor celebrities eating poo poo on the universally impossible contraptions they built.

I saw a promo clip and who was featured as a boss celebrity for the show, and winced when Ichikawa Ennosuke came up :stare: Since, you know, he’s in a wee bit of trouble at the moment

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Is there anywhere that streams Kouhaku live?

NHK World doesn't? I haven't thought to look, but can keep my eyes open.

gay for gacha posted:

Really excited to read the 7 page expose and see how they report on this kind of thing. I wonder if this means he will retire.

I wouldn't be surprised if this sticks that he might have to. Downtown have also lost a bit of juice recently anyways, feels like we're about to have a generational shift sooner than later. (Source: my wife watches so much loving TV)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Is this about Japanese TV phasing out their somewhat sadistic brand of humour?

Nah, just generational change. The Downtown guys helped spark the ‘manzai boom’ and that was in the 1980s, there’s an entire era and cohort of comedians from that period who have been on TV and moving up the ranks since the mid-80s or 1990s. So that’s…30 years.

There are a few shows that feature younger comedy duos/groups, especially in the so-called ‘seventh generation.’ Think EXIT or Shimofuri Myojo (Soshina and Seiya). There are also slightly older acts much more centered too (Chocolate Planet, Chidori, Kamaitachi…).

So yeah. Just eras waxing and waning. If this scandal with Matsumoto sticks (saw it briefly mentioned on the evening news but was dealing with a toddler so wasn’t listening closely) then it could accelerate a giant out.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

News: Matsumoto Hitoshi is ‘suspending’ his career due to the sexual assault allegations. He’s also looking to fight the Shukan Bunshun story in court - “If I engage in a trial, I will no longer be able to devote myself to my job as a comedian,” Yoshimoto Kogyo quoted Matsumoto as saying (from that article).

quote:

Yoshimoto Kogyo has denied the allegations, suggesting legal action will be taken against the publisher.

“I’ll fight the allegations, which are totally groundless,” Matsumoto said on X, formerly known as Twitter, on Jan. 8.

He also promised to appear on “Wide na Show,” a Sunday morning tabloid program, as his last TV appearance before the announced hiatus.

This was all over the news tonight and also included man-on-the-street interviews. I guess we’ll see.

—-

In less funny anecdotal news - a side effect of the earthquake and tsunami threat on New Year’s Day in Ishikawa is that the broadcasters cut into shows planned for a large at-home audience on that New Year’s Day, or canceled specials in the evening as live coverage continued. From memory, the live breaking coverage lasted until 8-9 pm or so. I think my wife had to delete three or four shows she had planned to record that evening because they weren’t the original specials.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Matsumoto said he'd be on Wide na Show to talk about the situation or something along those lines, did that happen or has it yet to?

that show runs on Sunday mornings and films on Saturdays, I'm assuming he'll be there either this weekend or next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

gay for gacha posted:

I read a comment on one of those articles about this being a playbook basically where they go battle this in court until the public forgets about it and then drop the case and move on. So my guess is this is that

Thinking about it, it reminds me of the Johnny Kitagawa lawsuit against a magazine in the early 2000s - where he won that they shouldn’t have published the article, but not that it was inaccurate, as a fuzzy memory. But I’m not sure if that works in Japan in TYOOL 2024.