Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

abraxas posted:

They got some more translators and fansubbers over there but their quality is a little.. lacking sometimes. I suppose I'm just very spoilt with the really good translations and color coded subs and everything :shobon:

Most of the recent translations have been really spotty. Shibatabread does good work, but only puts his releases up on a streaming site that injects ads every five minutes. Some of the other people are retranslating from French or German fansubs, or even using Google translate on the dialogue that shows up onscreen.

It's simply ridiculous that out of 1000+ episodes of Gaki no Tsukai, 200+ episodes of Lincoln, and hundreds more episodes of Downtown's other shows, only a few dozen of them have been translated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

abraxas posted:

Another favorite moment of mine is in the Hospital Batsu near the beginning, where Endo is told to turn a sign around and as he kinda jogs over to it, he just disappears into this hole in the ground while everyone else cracks the hell up.

That was pretty great, but the two other times they drop people get me even worse. It's completely out of nowhere.

Matsumoto was on fire all through the Spy Game. That was by far his best ratio of making the other guys laugh to accidentally making himself laugh. I'm looking forward to next year's, only a few more months!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I felt the same way when I saw Tanaka in Takashi Miike's Zebraman 2. It was surprising to see him in a more expressive, comical role when he's usually a straight man on GnT. He definitely has some range.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Later they add another comedy duo and attempt to do the same thing with seven rangers (including black and white).

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Crossposting from the Game Center CX thread:

So here's a link to a thing: http://depositfiles.com/files/aey8v1x35

If anyone wants to mirror or set up a torrent, please do so. Hosting is impossible for me since I'm on a metered bandwidth plan.

For those of you joining us late:
This is a project that's been in the works for a while. It's a segment from a variety show called Lincoln, which regularly features famous comedians Downtown and four other comedy teams. One of their recurring bits is a segment called "Friendly Downtown", where a comedy team is invited to spend time with Downtown and speak only using informal language. If they slip up and accidentally speak formally, they get slapped. This particular episode is relevant to our interests because the guests are Arino-kachou and his partner Masaru Hamaguchi. Yoiko take Downtown to Akihabara and engage in some stereotypical nerd pastimes.

A note on "formal language":
The Japanese language is very culturally sensitive, and you are expected to address others in a manner befitting the relationship between you. This goes beyond the name suffixes like -san or -kun that you may be familiar with, as even verbs and adjectives conjugate differently based on the level of politeness used. There are multiple reasons why Yoiko should be using the polite forms with Downtown including coming from different companies and being "junior" in terms of time in the industry.

One problem is that this doesn't translate to English at all. I think Zari-gani tried to make the "informal" responses sound a little cruder, but it's pretty much impossible to translate over directly since English doesn't have a linguistic equivalent to the politeness levels. If you keep an eye on the Japanese subs, you can tell when they slip up, as the subtitles will be in an angry red. Or you can just watch for when someone gets slapped. That's a good indicator too.

Notes on timing:
The two people I showed this to first responded that the "timing is great" and that the subtitles went by "way too fast". I'm leaning more towards the latter myself, but I felt it necessary to keep the speed up for several reasons. For one, it helps keep up the pace of their interactions. So much of comedy is dependent on timing, and I didn't want people reading a joke before the line is delivered or still be reading a joke when the dialogue has moved on. For another, I tried to reduce screen clutter by not having more than a couple of lines onscreen at one. With the rapid back-and-forth of some of their conversations, if I left the text up longer, multiple lines would start to pile up. It's already pretty busy with the Japanese subs and captions, I tried not to make it worse. Finally, of course, if I went back and re-timed the whole thing, who knows when I'd get finished? I've been sitting on this long enough, and I wanted to get it out there for you guys to enjoy. I'll continue to work on reaching a better balance with the timing on whatever I work on next, so I'm interested in hearing people's feedback.

The translation is by Zari-gani, who as usual turned out fantastic work. All the credit goes to her, and any mistakes were totally my fault.

I'm very interested to hear from everyone with opinions or comments on this episode. Reach me at NipponophileSA at Google mail. Like I said, I'm hoping to get some new projects moving forward, so watch this space for further developments.

tl;dr

Please watch these middle-aged men playing videogames.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Started working on a thing...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Dr Scoofles posted:

What are the chances of there ever being a SA variety show subbing team? The GamecentreCX thread is a great example of goons turning out amazing subs, why can't we?

Technically, we do have one, but I've been slacking a lot the past few months. I'm currently in the middle of timing and typesetting the Seven Ranger Game (sequel to the Five Ranger Game, naturally) from a translation by zari-gani.

We previously put out the Friendly Downtown with Yoiko segment, and we have a number of other episodes lined up, but working on them is pretty low priority for me right now.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So I downloaded a raw of this year's No-Laughing Special:

I just watched a group of middle-aged men composing extemporaneous haiku about their lunch in a language I barely understand, and I am laughing so hard it hurts.

I cannot wait for subtitles.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Jamesman posted:

Speaking of downloads, I don't see a download link for the Teachers video(s). Just a streaming link for Dailymotion and the raws/.rear end files.

There's some torrents and direct downloads here: http://www.gaki-no-tsukai.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4411

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Speaking of GodzillaRadio, he's got a new episode of Lincoln subbed at his blog. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but it looks promising. I've also got an older episode of Gaki no Tsukai that I've been neglecting, but I plan to get in more work this weekend. It's too far out for an ETA, but I swear progress is being made. I swear it.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
NOW BRINGING YOU FORTY PERCENT MORE RANGE-I THAN EVER BEFORE!!!!!

That's right. Not content with their victory over five colors, the cast of Gaki no Tsukai join forces with Ameagari Kesshitai to take on seven colors at once!!!

Yes, this is the Gaki no Tsukai Seven Range-i Game, now with English subtitles. Among other things, this episode explores Matsumoto's extensive knowledge of soccer and Tanaka's well-documented fondness for wieners. Also, Hamada laughs at someone else getting hurt.

This is an older translation of zari-gani's that I've been working with off and on (mostly off) for the past year. I finally got off my butt and finished all the typesetting just in time for the weekend. Huge thanks to zari-gani, who has been doing incredible work with all her translations.

http://www.mediafire.com/?i5z3wwfaa91i4e7

As with our last release, I'm only putting it up for direct download for now because my internet is metered, so I can't seed a torrent. If someone who doesn't have that problem could download it and set up a torrent on alluvion or nyaatorrents or somewhere, it would be totally awesome and a big help in getting the video out there for others to enjoy.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Watchin' untranslated stuff, learnin' how to make animated gifs...

Arino's partner Hamaguchi should really keep a better eye on his pony.

He makes it out OK!

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 3, 2013

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Japanese scientific advances in the field of really creepy realistic masks have finally gone too far.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
That's an episode of Gaki no Tsukai from a couple months ago. Itao Itsuji and his "wife" host a suggested format change for the program and turn it into the "Hamada Vegas Show" where the cast are required to bet Vegas-style on various competitions between people who all wear those creepy Hamada masks. It was a two part episode.

From another recent episode...

You know how Tanaka seems to frequently be the recipient of Thai kicks during the annual batsu games? The Gaki staff set up an episode where he had the opportunity to be on the delivering end for a change:

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 6, 2013

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Itao Itsuji is in the front row as well.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I just finished watching Legal High over the past week and loved it. The only other j-drama I've seen was the first few episodes of Ashita ga Aru Sa. Can anyone recommend me another series similar to those two? By which I mean mostly comedic with exaggerated, memorable characters. Something with English subs available, too.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I've watched the first couple episodes of that now, and it seems OK. I'll probably finish it out, but I'm really looking for more of a comedy.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I've been working my way through Ataru, where I caught this instance of failure to understand how American flags work.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Finished Ataru a bit ago, and now I'm watching Kagi no Kakatta Heya. Last night I got to the spider episode, which had quite possibly the stupidest murder gimmick I have ever seen in decades of watching and reading mysteries.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Zain posted:

So is it just Comedians all tend to come from Kansai or just use it for comedic purposes?

Not "all", but certainly a lot of them. The area is traditionally rich in comedians going back for decades, and the two biggest comedy talent agencies in the country are based in the area.

Their dialects and accents are frequently exaggerated for laughs. It's similar to guys like Jeff Foxworthy or Larry the Cable Guy here in the U.S. where they tend to play up their dialogue when on stage and in character.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
That's a pretty common comparison, and I've seen English dubs where they'll use a thick Southern accent for a character who speaks Kansai-ben. In my Japanese classes during college, we discussed the area and the culture with our instructor and came up with Texas as being a decent American comparison. Unique traditional cuisine, strong regional pride, a distinct dialect, and a reputation as salt of the earth blue-collar types are shared stereotypes of both places.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So Legal High season 2 has started, and subtitles are out for the first episode.

I am approximately this excited:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
He has a supporting role in Takashi Miike's Zebraman 2 if you're interested in seeing him in something less comic. The Zebraman movies are also great and well worth watching regardless.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
The G.D.F.E. seems to be headquartered in the same building as the police force they trained with a few years back.

e: As the New Year hits, I just heard some Yoko Kanno music as background in the new batsu game. Here's to 2014!

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 1, 2014

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So, I'm catching up on the last bits of the New Year's batsu game...

Did I just hear Weird Al? Because I'm pretty sure I just heard Weird Al.

e: No, but seriously, that was Weird Al in quite possibly the last place I'd have expected to hear him.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 2, 2014

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

Also, yea, minus some some grammatical errors and a few odd typesetting errors the sub was extremely well done and sets a good standard that hopefully lasts the length of the batsu.

It's good for speedsubs, but I really hope they plan to do a few more editing passes when they finish and repackage everything. There were enough errors to detract from the overall experience for me.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Now we have to wait for a British English -> American English sub to be released. Ugh.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Zain posted:

It really looks like they're taking the piss. :iiam:

I don't think they're deliberately setting out to do a bad job, if that's what you mean. It's more that they're working with translators who use British English, which seems funny to a lot of us, and they're also cutting quality control short to get releases out faster. The translations they're doing are perfectly serviceable. While they could use some polishing, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they're forgoing that for speed. As it is, they're far outpacing the past several years' translation groups.

If there's anything particularly egregious, why not email them? I'm going to shoot them a note offering my services as an editor/typesetter if they could use it.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Zain posted:

No I'm not saying it's a bad job. What that was is just "I have no idea what taking the piss" is supposed to mean. It's just like it sorta happened. Tanaka tai kick and then everyone just goes taking the piss constantly. Thus why :iiam:

Oh, in that case, I have no idea what you mean by "taking the piss".

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Zain posted:

Well me either! But that's what the translator went with in the earth defense video.

Ah, I misunderstood your original response completely. "Taking the piss" means screwing with someone, which is why I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
No way. You're basically saying that you want one or more members to not appear in 80% of the footage. That's just crazy talk. The interaction between the guys provides at least as many laughs as the traps they set up.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I'm sorry, but if you think that Downtown is funnier when physically separated, then you are objectively wrong.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

toomanyninjas posted:

It's like you've never seen No Laughing Yugawara or Haunted Hotel! Scandalous.

Those are unique because they're doing different things, not because they have fewer people involved. If the problem is that recent games have fallen into a rut of doing the same things every year, then the answer is to do different things, not to remove people from the equation.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I used to watch Ninja Warrior back when it was on G4 but that was before I got into Japanese variety, so now I get to go back through them and play "spot the talent". How many comedians do you guys recognize from this episode?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J72Vyh4r34k

Bonus: "university wrestling coach" Genki Sudo

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
There's definitely some number of racists who have a problem with them, and undoubtedly schoolyard bullying and name-calling, but I don't think Japan would be much worse than most other first-world countries. In recent years especially, there have been a number of popular half-Japanese celebrities, actors, singers, and models.

The word they use is just their pronunciation of "half". It's not derogatory, more descriptive, the same as saying "half-Japanese" or "part-Irish" or whatever.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Part 6, yo

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Make sure to set up a camera first.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Godzilla Radio put out another episode of Hitoshi Matsumoto's Suberanai Hanashi a couple of weeks ago. It's got some great stories, with the added novelty of having non-Japanese comedian Chad Mullane added to the mix.

Unfortunately, it seems he's soured on the translating game. I wish more people would step up.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

the problem with subbing is not only is timing a chore

On that note, just gonna throw out that I'm available for timing scripts should there happen to be any translators perusing this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I found this on the Gaki fan forums. It's a subtitled episode from a couple years ago where they compete to build animals out of Lego. The translation has a couple of rough spots since the translator was working from a French fansub, but it's a pretty fun episode.

http://www.gaki-no-tsukai.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5525