Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I neglected to mention it in the GCCX thread, but the timing was indeed fine to me as well. Quite good, in fact. Thanks again for providing us with comedy gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Nipponophile posted:

Started working on a thing...

Hell yeah. The 5 one was funny enough, I can only imagine how many years it takes them to pull off 7.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Sinz posted:

Oh where can I watch the 7 one online? I haven't been able to find that.

I don't know, I was replying to Nipponophile saying he was working on it. So I guess maybe in this thread in the future?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Personally I've been waiting to see a surge of "homebrew" batsu style games happening on youtube or something. People imitate Jackass and stuff often enough, I'm surprised I haven't seen it happen yet.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I really wonder sometimes if Downtown has developed any sort of previously non-existent disorders or conditions from all the torture they've put themselves/each other through for comedy. I'd imagine being hit in the rear end all the time for years would probably make something weird happen to you.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
poo poo, I didn't know Over-Time did that show too. Gonna grab those then, too lazy to sync up the sub files from d-addicts so I've been putting that off for months.

Second season is also excellent news. Thanks for the heads up.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Have they ever done a behind the scenes special for the new years batsu games? Seems like there is probably a fair bit of interesting tech and timing going on off-camera that would be neat to see. And I bet there are tons of traps set up that they never set off too (although I'd imagine those just get moved into the next year).

A good example in this one is when the actors are doing the read-through on the bus. People keep showing up right at the perfect time, even from off the bus. They must have someone on the bus signaling the timing to someone off the bus to tell the actors when to start moving and so on. I think it could be potentially interesting.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

FedoraDefender420 posted:

Next Batsu game is No Laughing Earth Defense Force.

Oh man my brain can't even handle the possibilities of this right now aaaaaa.

EDF! EDF! EDF!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Nipponophile posted:

I used to watch Ninja Warrior back when it was on G4 but that was before I got into Japanese variety, so now I get to go back through them and play "spot the talent". How many comedians do you guys recognize from this episode?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J72Vyh4r34k

Bonus: "university wrestling coach" Genki Sudo

I remember watching the "Women of" version and seeing both Cutey Honey and Dogu-chan in one episode. Dogu-chan was even in costume. I don't think either got very far.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Let Downtown become the behind the scenes masterminds setting off all the traps. Film them too.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm ready to see Downtown take over as running the torture, personally. Keep cameras on them of course, so we can watch Matsumoto lose his poo poo every time they fall for his traps. Involve them in the less physical parts too, whatever. I'm sure those dudes are going to end up getting some new kind of rear end disorder discovered and named for them eventually.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Targeting Matsumoto is both smart and dumb. It's smart because I think Matsumoto just really, really enjoys comedy and laughing in general and appreciates jokes so he'll lose it very easily. But it's dumb because it's infectious and will also make you laugh.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

UP AND ADAM posted:

Does anyone know the name of the series of skits that goes like: Hamada saves a woman from being attacked by some villains in an apartment and then berates them for being dumb and having silly costumes? Or something like that

5 Rangers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJSdeumzXFU

See also the 5 Rangers Game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xf_ChsRYc

And the 7 Rangers Game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY-eT39VP-Y

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Crotch Bat posted:

I mean not for nothing but toku stuff has to be almost certainly the easiest stuff to translate. Basic sentences, repeated catchphrases and other things, nobody talking over anyone else, it's all super straight forward stuff that requires no thought. Batsu games are like the complete opposite where there's complex, uncommon sentences often with varying dialects with people constantly talking over each other and that's on top of the on-screen overlays that frequent the game. It has to be like the worst thing to try and sub.

That said, they've got the first 5 parts typeset and the first 3 parts nearly translated in 3 weeks, that's not a terribly bad pace. The issue, as always, is whether or not real life springs up for them. If it doesn't we'll probably get the sub in early March give or take.

I finally put my willpower to the test this year and am not watching in parts but waiting for the full sub.

All this, plus trying to understand AND make the audience understand the joke! Which might just be "oh look, it's <random japanese tv celeb>, how wacky" which has like no reasonable way to make actual context for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I've seen some of that UK dub and it's like someone said "yeah this show is alright but what it could really use is a layer of unnecessary vague racism spread on top". it's bizarre. people fall down = laughs is universal, drat it.