Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

If you thought the hoodie shot was indicative of some sort of emotional torment in Parker's life you were obviously never a skinny white teenage boy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Deadpool posted:

Actually, Venom isn't really just a bad guy. Originally anyway. He only hated Spider-Man. Otherwise he saw himself as a protector of the people. He even teamed up with Spidey several times in order to save people even though his goal was still to get revenge on Spidey. Carnage though? Yeah, straight up bad guy.

Yeah this is true, I'd love to see a Maximum Carnage movie if they could do it right.

Also what are your thoughts on the upcoming Deadpool movie?

I think Ryan Renolds is perfect to play him... But it's the Script I'm worried about. Also are they going to break the forth wall in the movie?

ExplodingSquid fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 24, 2011

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ExplodingSquid posted:

Yeah this is true, I'd love to see a Maximum Carnage movie if they could do it right.

Also what are your thoughts on the upcoming Deadpool movie?

I think Ryan Renolds is perfect to play him... But it's the Script I'm worried about. Also are they going to break the forth wall in the movie?

I've read the script, it's fantastic. And yes they do.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Dacap posted:

You're a bit mixed up. They had originally cast Anne Hathaway in the movie as Black Cat (ironic that she's Catwoman now) and that she would be the Vulture's daughter. It was later reported that they decided instead to make her a new character called "The Vulturess" who follows in her father's footsteps.

We should be glad Raimi's SM-4 crashed and burned

http://www.slashfilm.com/john-malkovich-and-anne-hathaway-as-spider-man-4s-vulture-and-vulturess/

Just looked up the treatment I've got for it, "Spider-M4n", from Raimi and James Vanderbilt-- Vulture is her biological father, Max Dillon is in as Electro, Spider-Man hangs up his mask handing crime fighting duties over to Black Cat at the end and the last bit of the treatment is pretty much the ending of The Mask. Minus Parker gleefully saying "smokin!"

Not saying anything either way, just giving a cite to my earlier statement.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Deadpool posted:

I've read the script, it's fantastic. And yes they do.

Oh poo poo didn't know it was out there! Do you have a link?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

ExplodingSquid posted:

Discussing leaked scripts is a no no.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ExplodingSquid posted:

Unfortunately that's not allowed here. FOX pretty much eradicated links to it and even reviews of it from the web. And even sued one lady for several million dollars because she hosted it.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Ahh that's cool. Looking forward to a trailer or something, not sure how long that will be though.

This is a movie I'd love to see.

ExplodingSquid fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 24, 2011

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ExplodingSquid posted:

Ahh that's cool. Looking forward to a trailer or something, not sure how long that will be though.

This is a movie I'd love to see.

There was a trailer for it in front of Captain America and I have to say I wasn't impressed....

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

mcmagic posted:

There was a trailer for it in front of Captain America and I have to say I wasn't impressed....

He meant for the Deadpool movie :ssh:

GrazoTheClown
Jun 23, 2006
One Man. One Way.
Wouldn't it be badass if after the credits of ASM, Nick Fury shows up to ask if he'd like to be in The Avengers? Like Sony and Marvel had been working together this whole time to gently caress with our heads and make a mint in dough.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

GrazoTheClown posted:

Wouldn't it be badass if after the credits of ASM, Nick Fury shows up to ask if he'd like to be in The Avengers? Like Sony and Marvel had been working together this whole time to gently caress with our heads and make a mint in dough.

No. The Avengers is going to be too busy as it is with 5 super-heroes plus SHIELD, plus villains. Unless that movie is 10 hours long everyone is going to get less screen-time than an episode of Squidbillies between the cgi fight scenes.

Plus, the best Spidey stories are always solo.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Bob Quixote posted:

No. The Avengers is going to be too busy as it is with 5 super-heroes plus SHIELD, plus villains. Unless that movie is 10 hours long everyone is going to get less screen-time than an episode of Squidbillies between the cgi fight scenes.

Wrong. The best Spidey stories involve him standing around making quips in the middle of a bunch of other heroes while important stuff is about to happen or they are in the midst of mortal peril.

:colbert:

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

Wrong. The best Spidey stories involve him standing around making quips in the middle of a bunch of other heroes while important stuff is about to happen or they are in the midst of mortal peril.

:colbert:

He does that in his own stories too though. Usually he seems like a baffled observer in his own bizarre life. I think he's the only person in New York who realizes how goofy it all is and just enjoys a laugh at his own expense.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.

Bob Quixote posted:

I liked the 90's cartoon episode with Spidey and Blade after Tombstone.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Paragon8 posted:

I don't understand how they get a great natural redheaded actress who can play feisty and sassy really well and dye her hair blonde and cast her as Gwen Stacy.

Actually she's a natural blonde. It was Howard they faked into being blonde for Gwen.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Bob Quixote posted:

I'd watch a 10 hour Avengers movie that had Spider-man in it.

It would make my eyes bleed from the awesome and my bladder explode but would totally be worth it.

Unless it was, you know, bad... then I would be sad.

headrest
May 1, 2009

Lobok posted:

Actually she's a natural blonde. It was Howard they faked into being blonde for Gwen.

That's who that poster was referring to.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

With three different threads to check I lost track of where I saw it (if not Twitter), but apparently the webshooters are going to take a while to develop? Three years from what I heard? Does anyone remember seeing that revealed or spoken over the weekend? Seems like a long time if they're trying to keep him a teenager.

headrest posted:

That's who that poster was referring to.

Ah ok. Unclear with all the talk of the new trailer above it.

Bozz
Jan 26, 2002

Lobok posted:

With three different threads to check I lost track of where I saw it (if not Twitter), but apparently the webshooters are going to take a while to develop? Three years from what I heard? Does anyone remember seeing that revealed or spoken over the weekend? Seems like a long time if they're trying to keep him a teenager.

How would they take that long to develop if he was already using them in the trailer? Does the movie skip ahead into the future?

PriorMarcus posted:

His origin is told in flashback.

Link?

Bozz fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 25, 2011

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

PriorMarcus posted:

I've not heard anything like that at all. In fact a lot of what I've heard completely contradicts that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bozz posted:

How would they take that long to develop if he was already using them in the trailer? Does the movie skip ahead into the future?

That's what I'm wondering, but first I thought I'd make sure it was actually said somewhere. I had some beers over the weekend but not that many.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
I liked the organic webshooters because then Peter couldn't go "Oh no the Vulture flew away with MJ and I'm out of web cartridges!" whenever the plot needed some EXTRA TENSION

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The Great Burrito posted:

I liked the organic webshooters because then Peter couldn't go "Oh no the Vulture flew away with MJ and I'm out of web cartridges!" whenever the plot needed some EXTRA TENSION

I'm pretty sure 2 did the whole "I'm losing my web abilities OH NO" thing anyway, though.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
I guess so, I just remember it happening a lot in the comics when I was younger and it seemed really lazy.

headrest
May 1, 2009
He's going to run out of fluid eventually. I wouldn't call it lazy, I'd call it conveniently realistic.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's what pissed me off about them being organic. Oh no! "I'm being an emo so can't web sling". It wasn't right.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I thought it was brilliant. It was able to combine the Spider-Man No More storyline into a power-loss story and that's great because we get both without having to do both - more time for Spider-Man to keep being Spider-Man; it gets around having to use some inexplicable PoisonBeamGas plot weapon to depower him; because it actually shows his stress and loneliness in a physical way he has to struggle with, and what are superheroes if not people whose problems all manifest as physical struggles; and because it makes the ending all the better in that he not only gets the girl but gets to continue to be Spider-Man.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't he run out of webbing more often anyway if it was organic? People don't have infinite blood or infinite urine, so why should he have infinite webbing just because he produces it internally?

Also, where does he store that poo poo? I just sort of picture him having huge pulsing tumorous outgrowths on his back full of silk-fluid. What kind of massive reworking of his body did he have to go through to suddenly gain pores that shoot out goo in his wrists with enough pressure to launch it hundreds of feet and have it stick to objects without blowing stuff up at short range?

Mechanical web-shooters are the best web-shooters.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Can't believe it was way back in February I posted this. Seems much more recent:

quote:

Let's see if I can remember the whole debate from my days back at SHH!:

Spider-Man should have mechanical webshooters. Yes/no?

YES
-he has them in the comics
-organics are gross
-it should come out of his butt if organic
-easier to make him run out of webbing
-demonstrates his intelligence
-makes Peter Parker the one true Spider-Man
-how does he produce all that webbing in his body?
-he can tweak the formula
-organic webs would be all over the city --his formula biodegrades after about an hour
-why would he need to do the familiar devil horns gesture if not to press a trigger?
-most, if not all, spiders don't "shoot" their webbing, only creating drag-lines
-none of the other powers manifest themselves realistically, why start with this one?
-can't sell webbing because it would compromise his identity, make him less effective if others counteract it, or the formula is "broken" enough that nobody wants it

NO
-creates/strengthens puberty metaphor
-he should have all the powers of a spider
-"does he seriously carry these things around all the time and have to put them on?"
-allows anyone to imagine themselves as Spider-Man
-inventing and continually producing this stuff would be insanely expensive
-streamlines the origin: "how many montages are we gonna have in this movie?
-he's this much of a super-genius?
-related to above: he's this much of a genius but he can't figure out a way to make more money
-why doesn't he sell it?
--who wouldn't want a biodegradeable superadhesive. Hello police/fire departments? Medics, etc.
-he's not going to be tweaking his formula like this is a weekly series and "sand webbing" or some poo poo will be the crux of a $200-million movie final battle
-he creates all those different types of webbing and patterns by pressing a single button?
-more believable that he doesn't get stuck to his own webs

Did I get them all?

Bob Quixote posted:

What kind of massive reworking of his body did he have to go through to suddenly gain pores that shoot out goo in his wrists with enough pressure to launch it hundreds of feet and have it stick to objects without blowing stuff up at short range?

Mechanical web-shooters are the best web-shooters.

You have pretty much the same problem with the mechanicals. Either you hand wave it as some super-strong mutated biology, or hand wave it as some impossibly accurate, complex, quiet, miniature device.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 26, 2011

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lobok posted:

Can't believe it was way back in February I posted this. Seems much more recent:

Needs to go in the OP. I remember the last time I saw it.

Still valid, still on the side of mechanical shooters. Just throwing that out there.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
I hope this entire thread will be an endless debate about webshooters. So far, so good!

Back on topic, I just feel it's too soon to return to an Spider-man origin story. It feels like Sony is just treating the series as a cash cow. I'm picturing Jameson with dollar signs for eyes. Ten years is too short of time for another origin story.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Peter should have mechanical web shooters, but only because he's too embarrassed to use his newfound ability to shoot webbing out of his rear end.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I posted the debate summary to hopefully stifle the debate. As in "every reason you can think of has probably already been posted a zillion times since 2001 and while it might be a good reason, there are good reasons for both sides so it comes down to what you prefer." Although, like some fans themselves, the movie apparently is taking the compromise position of organic webs, but mechanical shooters.

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

I hope this entire thread will be an endless debate about webshooters. So far, so good!

Back on topic, I just feel it's too soon to return to an Spider-man origin story. It feels like Sony is just treating the series as a cash cow. I'm picturing Jameson with dollar signs for eyes. Ten years is too short of time for another origin story.

No, that's Peter with dollar signs for eyes.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 26, 2011

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Bob Quixote posted:

X-Men managed to pull it off, and they didn't even have separate movies to explain why we should give a poo poo about Storm or Jean other than them being pretty.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...

Lobok posted:

No, that's Peter with dollar signs for eyes.

Even better. Parker must be getting a portion of the cut.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

OP updated with web shooter debate plus the video of Andrew Garfield at Comicon.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
The main shot in the trailer was 100% CG and the internal name for it was actually 'the mirrors edge'. The shot cost is approximately 350k and it will be longer in the movie.

EDIT: Anybody see The Lizard trailer at Comicon?

-A n i m 8- fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

-A n i m 8- posted:

The main shot in the trailer was 100% CG and the internal name for it was actually 'the mirrors edge'. The shot cost is approximately 350k and it will be longer in the movie.

EDIT: Anybody see The Lizard trailer at Comicon?

Where'd that news come from?

Also, teaser poster.

What you'd expect.

• Locked thread