Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Good on you dude your story is pretty inspiring. Congrats on being debt free :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
Hoorah! Hoorah for the debt-free graphs with the huuuuuge downward slide and most importantly

HOORAH FOR TUYOP!

:toot:

And a huge highfive to Toeshoes :hfive: for being present and supportive while you struggled with depression. Depression sucks. Woo Toeshoes.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

tuyop posted:

Thank you, you guys are awesome.

Nah, you are. Congrats on turning your life around and becoming happy.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
I like your wall of text Tuyop. I emailed it to my other half who is going through a similar existential crisis to your prior troubles, hopefully he'll gain some insight from it. I've been following your thread for the better part of the last two years, particularly when Cornholio finished up winning his thread and Zaurg's train wreck petered out. I'm really glad for you, and glad you have it so well together now. It's inspiring! Well done, and well done to Toeshoes too who surely deserves lots of credit for helping you through all of this.

Best of luck for the future, and come back and post pictures of the yurt when it's set up :)

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
That's awesome, tuyop, thanks for posting. Sorry for being kind of a dick to you here and there. You really seem a changed man. Your thread was a bit influence in my getting my own poo poo (mostly) together.

I look forward to an update in a year, when instead of paying down debt, you've been building up retirement savings. Congratulations!

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Tuyup I am impressed. Your shitshow finances (before you got a hold of it) and justifications forced me to reexamine my own relationship with money.

Thanks for keeping us updated, your half-baked ideas kept me sane in a rough period. It's nice to read your OP after what you just wrote, just to see the contrast.

For the record, I totally thought you were talking about growing weed to pay off your debt.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mulatto Butts posted:

For the record, I totally thought you were talking about growing weed to pay off your debt.

He was. It's a testament to how crazy Tuyop was that I (and probably many others) actually thought he had a plan to become a basil farmer.

Also I love your avatar. Archer Vice is amazing so far.

Mulatto Butts posted:

your half-baked ideas kept me sane in a rough period.

I feel like this is true for a lot of us, but Slow Motion fills that void now. And if he manages to fix himself (and I really hope he does), there will be another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4JVcvR7IM0

There is always another.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 24, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I still maintain that aquaponic BASIL is a loving excellent idea and you guys would be all over it if I'd posted it as a business plan instead of a totally excellent scheme to solve all my problems (which it would have been).

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

tuyop posted:

I still maintain that aquaponic BASIL is a loving excellent idea and you guys would be all over it if I'd posted it as a business plan instead of a totally excellent scheme to solve all my problems (which it would have been).

Yes, if now-sane tuyop pitched a BASIL growing business proposal, I imagine BFC would have a much more positive reaction.

I want to reiterate that reading your summary of your story on the last page was pretty inspiring. It's amazing to have seen you come so far. Good job, dude!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Have you ever seen how BFC reacts to 99% of business plans that get posted here?

Granted that's more of a comment on how lovely people are at preparing business plans.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
BASIL for bucks: The fish eat the worms and the plants eat the fish poo poo and the chefs eat the plants and you eat the bucks!

Kickstarter pending!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Congratulations, Tuyop! I'm super glad to see that not only have you gotten a handle on your finances, but that you feel good about doing so and that you've found a way to happiness. It's been a long, tough journey, but you've pulled through and I hope you can keep this happiness and satisfaction your whole life.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

tuyop posted:

Kickstarter pending!
Artisinal BASIL

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Congrats Tuyop and toeshoes! Go out and by yourself a huge 3D flatscreen TV on credit as celebration! You deserve it!

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.
Congratulations, Tuyop!

Don't forget us little people on your way up to further financial glory. What a great ride it's been with you.

(Also I am proud to say I am the one who first mentioned the yurt idea. :sun:)

:cheers:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Whoa, congratulations Tuyop! Way to go!

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

tuyop posted:

Every day I thought about losing the things that I loved and those things were like new to me. I had more than enough.
I choked up a little there. Awesome post and thread, sir. Congratulations to you!

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

tuyop posted:

Predictable holiday savings then spending from those savings represented here.

Sorry, I haven't gone through this thread yet but I was curious as to what kind of job(s) you have that gives you such a big variance in your income?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks for all the kind words, guys!

OneWhoKnows posted:

Sorry, I haven't gone through this thread yet but I was curious as to what kind of job(s) you have that gives you such a big variance in your income?

The military. There are various periodic bonuses for posting and course/separation pay, and when you release you get a big severance pay thing. That's not even mentioning the obvious danger pay and poo poo for going on tour (which I never did).

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Nice, I'm way late on this, but congrats Tuyop!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Tuyop I am glad you got your poo poo together. Congratulations on being debt-free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

menieres_4_life
Oct 27, 2007

You don't need equilibrioception to balance the books - in space!
Yop, I am so loving proud of you man.

Also, we are officially wards of the state brothers now. Congrats buddy.

• Locked thread