Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo guys, I've seen the unicorn.

I just got my release message! I just have to clear out of base and make some appointments and then I'll be done with the military! Probably mid-July!

Also:

quote:

What benefits are you able to expect?
  1. Two years of long term disability pay, which = 75% of your gross pay on release from the CF, tax free. (4553 * .75 = 3414.75/month – my current pay is 3088 net)
  2. Two years of re-education, pending approval from the military’s insurance company. I’ve gotten my package for this and just have to submit the forms after I get my release message.
  3. Priority hiring within the federal government.

I just have to go to Gagetown first, get released from there, then go back to Halifax, sell my belongings that I haven't seen since 2010, then drive up to Edmonton and get on with my life!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, and

:siren: May Update :siren:

Here you go.

Take this with a grain of salt because there's a bunch of stuff still in progress from the move. We have to be fully reimbursed for like half of the expenses of toeshoes' posting.

Edit: forgot a graph

tuyop fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 12, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

Good work!

Thanks man! But it's a bit messed up.

As usual, haven't been paid yet in June but you can already see that this will be a "bad" month.

I really think we could have done better at minimizing the expenses and keeping more of the posting money, but the situation is still undecided and it's almost all in toeshoes' court. We're hoping for a resolution and final numbers by the end of June, we have to wait for the furniture to get to the new place.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oh, and if anyone wants to go all internet lawyer on my benefits. Here are the resources:

Vocational Rehab - AKA Paid-for School
Long Term Disability (LTD) - AKA 75% Salary

More on the LTD, it's not tax free but I don't pay CPP, EI, or the military pension, so the take-home works out to approximately $200 less than my current take-home. Whatever.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

cstine posted:

Minor thing: how do you have 'negative' income? Either you made money, or you did not - the lowest that scale should go is $0.

We got a $2500 posting bonus because we were planning on having toeshoes drive to Edmonton. I didn't end up getting permission to go (reason #1) so we had to cancel that bonus. We received it in May but canceled it in June.

I'm assuming that mint counts that category (bonus) as a green bar, and since there's no other income to balance it out and bring the green bar into the positive range, it's a negative green bar.

I guess I could categorize the original bonus as travel and then the refund as travel and it would work out a bit more logically, but I can't do it at work.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Your wording here is throwing me off. Did you or did you not actually receive the cash money? Like, was it in your bank account in May, and then in June you had to pay that money back?

Because if it was merely "awarded" or "granted" or something but you did not take posession of the money, it was never income, and it shouldn't be in your accounting for May. You could go back and just delete it.

Even if you did get the money but then paid it back, I'd say go back and remove it from May. It's highly misleading to track income this way because it implies that you got all that money and then spent it.

It was given to us and deposited in the account, mint automatically picked up the transaction. Then we had to give it back by writing a cheque and mint picked that transaction up too. I thought it was wisest to record what happened as accurately as possible, and this way as long as the transactions are from the same category, the net impact is 0.

Kind of like a credit card payment. The CC account records $100 of income, my bank account records $100 of expense, they're both categorized as transfers and the net effect is 0.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm satisfied with excluding that from Mint.

We had a pretty luxurious weekend in Toronto, eating at restaurants (reimbursed to $75/day), staying in a hotel (reimbursed), and wandering around. The main expense was from a farewell feast where we went to a fancy vegetarian place and spent $90 between the two of us plus $40 on drinks at another bar. Now toeshoes is gone back to Edmonton and I'm staying with one of her family's friends. Homelessness thwarted! :argh:

Total expense after reimbursements: $65, but we could have banked close to $125 if we had stayed out of the city and eaten only groceries. It feels like it's been awhile since we've had a "vacation" like that and we budgeted for it beforehand as well as moving right in line with our 2800 savings goal this month (we got reimbursed to replace 1100 that we had to "borrow" for some moving expenses, plus 1700 that we're saving that we were putting on debt). I guess I feel like I should feel bad, but I don't.

The plan is still to make minimum payments and save the difference until I'm out and receive my first disability cheque. Then I have to figure out tuition and where to put the like 18k in savings. I'll probably pay off my student loan (14580 @ 4.5%) with it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

April posted:

Seconding this!

Can you throw up a quick comparison of balance/interest rate/monthly payment on the student loan and car?

Ok!

Debt (APR): Owed

Car Loan (1.9%): 17 507
Student Line of Credit (4.5%): 14 320

Tuition Estimate for Fall 2013

Tuition (21 Credit-Hours): 3688.44
Misc excluding health and dental: 553.90
Total due: 4 242.34

I get to opt in to the Public Service Health Plan so I'm probably going to take advantage of that. We'll see, I may be toeshoes' dependent and get it for free.

Edit:

tuyop posted:

:siren:February Update:siren:

Some New Info

I went and did a release forecast so that I could look at what my finances would be like if I just voluntarily release in August. I just wanted information. Here's how it looks.

My pension will be worth 46 796.03 15 August 2013. If I release at that point, it can be split in the following ways:

$25 686.68 must be transferred to a locked-in RRSP (or taken as a differed annuity, which seems like a bit of a silly thing to do).

$21 109.35 can be taken as cash (with tax consequences), or put into an RRSP (if you have the room), or divided between those two options.

Plus

$3 645.60 in severance pay. The severance pay is taxed at about 10% before it reaches me, and taxed as income after I get it. I can also have it dumped into an RRSP to avoid taxes, IIRC.

I have to make a decision on these things in the next month as well. Things I need help with:

Where do I get an RRSP at? I understand an RRSP is just an account with tax benefits. I also understand that I can borrow from it to fund a down payment on a house. I may be interested in this so I think I have low risk tolerance for that money.

Oh and I have the contribution room for all this.

I'm just kind of confused, like, do I open up an RSP with ING Direct, or PC Financial which is my current bank, or go talk to TD because they're more of a "real" bank? They all have TERRIBLE interest rates.

Is it better to start a Registered Questrade account (They also have a LIRA, which is where I have to put like 25k) and invest in some low-risk ETFs?

And then I have to worry about how to take the tax hit if I use all that money to 0 my debt. I'll have access to about 25k + the 12k in inheritance.

:supaburn:

Edit 2:

Oh and this has to happen pretty soon because:

Public Works and Government Services Canada posted:

If you wish to transfer all or a portion of this amount to a RRSP, you must provide us with one of the following documents:

Signed and dated letter certifying that you have checked with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and that you have sufficient RRSP contribution room available. Your letter must also indicate the name and address of your financial institution, your RRSP account number and the specific amount of the payment that is to be transferred to a RRSP; or

Copy of your latest "Notice of Assessment" from CRA indicating the available RRSP deduction limit. You must sign and date this notice and also provide us with the name and address of your financial institution, your RRSP account number and the specific amount of the payment that is to be transferred to a RRSP.

http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/pension/act/retr/amda-alty/pr-pb-eng.html#a6

I'll just do option 2 but

:supaburn: :supaburn:

tuyop fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 18, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Do I want to have an RRSP at a bank even though they only have products with terrible interest rates or massive MERs?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

asmallrabbit posted:

This all depends on what kind of an RRSP you want. I'm sort of dealing with the same thing at the moment, because of a pension plan I had at my old job. However in my case, my income will be low enough this year that the tax savings of putting the non-locked in amount into an RRSP wouldn't be worth it.

If you expect to see more of a benefit from the cash payout immediately and your income isn't going to be very high this year, I wouldn't bother putting it into an RRSP. It will mainly just save you some income tax if you are making a lot of money since you would be taking the payout on top of that.

I have my RRSP at TD Waterhouse, as a self-directed plan. Meaning I choose whatever I want to put my money into, stocks, bonds, mutual funds etc. The pure cash RRSP plans are pointless because interest rates are so low. You could also go for a mutual fund RRSP through just TD (Waterhouse is just the investment branch of TD). I have my TFSA setup as a mutual fund account this way. I choose only the e-series funds which means a much lower MER but you get online stuff only, no advisors etc, which frankly, works just fine.

A self-directed RRSP will allow you to put your funds into whatever you want, iirc mine are split between a couple of stocks and then just generic index funds of some sort, the interest rates don't really matter. THere is a $100 fee per year on the self-directed account though.

I'm not familiar with any other banks setups. All of my stuff is through TD, and I find there online interface very good, + they have excellent banking hours.

My income isn't really going down, though. I need to review that once I hear more from the insurance company.

As for the TD options, I'll go check that out. I was with TD since I was a kid, but gently caress fees so I switched to PC Financial.

Edit: Just a cursory review of the tax rules makes it look like my tax bracket will be going from to 34.1% (53,000 in New Brunswick) to 25% (39,750 in Alberta). But this year the income is going to be off the hook if I don't manage it correctly.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 20, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Mostly I'm just concerned with managing the tax burden from 2013. With the cash portion of my pension and severance, my income will be around 80k. It'll be a few more years before my salary catches up to that again. I'll look into seeing an accountant.

Also, why are Zaurg and Cornholio the two BFC posterchildren? Neither of them lived in a hatchback to save on rent!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

moana posted:

No, he resorted to a butter knife. Or was that zaurg?

Cornholio, in Zaurg's thread.

:stonk:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hey we're up 1501 dollars this month. Yay goals!

Toeshoes will have the internet on the 4th, so we'll see how the budget fared and we'll have the graphs then.

All the posting stuff will also be finalized and I'll see about posting that. I don't know if it matters, though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oh, I hit some small creature on the highway last night and it tore out all the splash protectors under my engine and broke what looks like the bottom of my front spoiler.

I'm going to have the mechanic take a look tomorrow because WTF.

Yeah, that's how it goes.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

quaint bucket posted:

Insurance claim. It won't affect you.

I hope you kept the roadkill or took a picture of it as evidence!

I don't think it's worth paying a $1000 deductible to save on a $16 piece of plastic and a four dollar screwdriver.

Unless I tore some radiator mounts or something as well, which is why I'm having a mechanic look at it tomorrow.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
A rickshaw driver (runner?) once tore his hamstring while conducting me and my mother around the waterfront. I was much younger then.

One of my earliest memories is of me releasing the emergency brake in my parents' 80s Renault and it backing down a hill and hitting a telephone pole, smashing the taillight. I don't really remember what happened other than that.

Anyway, they chopped off the plastic bits that were torn. One of the clips on the underside of the bumper was damaged but the whole fascia won't have to be replaced. They said to take it to a body shop, yeah right.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
This lack of laptop is really killing me, guys. I have to spend all day every day doing nothing and have no computer access until August.

I need some really good reasons not to buy one soon, other than precarious income prospects. Costco has the HP Envy on for $500, I'm going to check with the laptop thread but that seems doable at a glance.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Precarious income prospects seems like reason enough to me.

What happened to your simplicity philosophy? Why do you need a laptop? Is there really no other ways you can entertain yourself? Library card or something?

I have no address so my access to services are pretty limited, I can't pretend to have a friend's address because I have no proof of address for that place.

I read novels and nonfiction all day and I'm relatively content with that. It's just infuriating whenever I have to write a memo or email, find out where a building is, get a phone number or hours for a government office, or want to watch a movie or do pretty much anything that isn't read a book or exercise (like sort out my wedding in August :supaburn:). I get it done, sure, it's just really not ideal or so much work that it's not worth it.

Not to mention the fact that I like to keep track of my exercise, calories, and budget and I've just got an LG flip phone so I feel like this stuff is pretty much out of control beyond trying not to buy things and trying not to eat too much or overdo exercise. Combine that with my... personality, and the fact that everything seems totally out of control in all other facets of my life, and I spend my evenings trying really hard not to flip out and make it in one piece to the next day without drinking my face off or something.

A laptop would probably help to give me a sense of control over these things.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
During the day I can use a computer at work when one's available, or walk to the library if one's not. I mentioned the tracking thing just because I feel like most stuff is totally out of control and I think filling my days in a more productive-feeling way might help with that. Or just distracting myself with Skyrim or something, I don't know.

At night I sometimes borrow a computer for a minute from whoever I'm staying with to get some work done.

The reason that I feel pretty anxious about it is because I've got to fill my days for four more weeks. Like, basically from 7AM to 11PM is time that, if I'm not reading, or walking somewhere to read or work out, then there is nothing to do. I don't even have a cubicle anymore. Could you read about making sushi or tango or building bat houses for 16 hours per day?

This is basically moot anyway because my father's company has some extra laptops after some downsizing that I can borrow. So woo.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
And I know that this is ridiculous but I really feel like, so what? I drop 600 bucks on car payment and insurance every month and it's no big deal, what's 1100 bucks on a MBA or 600 bucks on a windows laptop that will last for three to five more years?

Note that I've felt this way for awhile but haven't bought anything, so it's not like I'm acting on this justification. It just seems like such a silly thing to agonize over.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah you're right, but I feel like this is a pretty exceptional situation. I'm literally task-free for sixteen hours a day. I seriously think this is a great way to figure out your values and poo poo, find a way to pare down everything so that you have the bare minimum sources of communication and entertainment in your life and see how long you go before the sheer inconvenience and emptiness of it starts to wear on you.

I've spent a few of those days just hanging out in a tent in the woods listening to and watching nature, or reading in a lunch room, or chatting with my friends (how I spend most of my time but they actually have jobs so), all that stuff. I end up walking a couple of hours a day or longer because there's no reason to move any faster. And it's all great and free and whatever, but it's not very useful and the days are LONG. Just got an in at a volunteer opportunity, so we'll see how that goes.

This is on top of my normal pseudo-triathlon training and powerlifting routine that is falling apart because I'm sleeping on floors and living on whey and broccoli, so my existence isn't very goony. I'm getting a sick tan, at least.

Also I don't even know if there's space for anything in the budget because my budget is on a computer in Alberta.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Neophyte posted:

Hey, there's this kinda retro analog smartphone-type device going around, maybe you've seen it?

If nothing else, you should be able to get some hipster cred by using one.

More seriously, you really should get a notebook and always carry it around with you. Not just for notes or to-do lists, but for your budgets, expenses, thoughts, fears, dreams, fiction attempts, poetry, sketches, etc. Write down what you see, what you think, what you feel, what you want to be, whatever. But write!

It sounds dumb, but it isn't. Not only will it occupy a lot of your time somewhat productively, but by having to write things down longhand you are forced to both slow and organize your thoughts, which is pretty drat useful to someone in the throes of a hypomanic episode. Or if you're depressed, writing down your problems and breaking down their solutions logically helps make them look less scary and overwhelming.

Try it - you may be pleasantly surprised by not only how cheap it is, but also how effective. Think of it as $3.95 therapy!

Hey I carry one of those everywhere for work. That's how I've been managing things, it's not like an iphone though. I might get a slimmer one from the dollar store for my non-work clothes...

And I just mean exceptional in that I don't think most people have to fill their days without a place to live or work unless they're homeless. "It's just a month, princess." Just feels like it's coming from someone who doesn't know how long a day can be when you spend it just wandering around.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

cstine posted:

This SINGLE THING RIGHT HERE is why you're still 'broken' with regards to finance - you see that you can save $100 if you don't do x, so you don't do x. And then once you're there, you find out that x was a bad idea, but if you went and got y, which is twice what just doing x in the first place would have cost you'll be okay!

In short - STOP loving DOING THIS TO YOURSELF BECAUSE IT'S DUMB AND MAKES YOU LOOK DUMB.

I appreciate your post, but this kind of thing keeps coming up when it seems to me like I haven't bought anything in quite awhile. Like, there was a bicycle, and some brake parts and tools for the brakes that saved me some 300 bucks or whatever.

And by not having an apartment now, if you look at a lease costing 28 dollars a day - which is what we're paying for the place in Edmonton - then I've already saved 672 dollars doing this, and will save another 522 dollars by the time I'm done. Not including additional costs like laundry, utilities, and other stuff that toeshoes consumes less of without me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Saeku posted:

$28/day is a lot, even in Toronto I can find a sublet cheaper than that.

Wait, how are you saving on laundry? Just because you live in a tent or whatever doesn't mean you don't need to wash your clothes.

I have access to free laundry on base.

Regarding the cost of an apartment: 825/month is 825/30=27.50/day. That's also about 15% of our income so I thnk it's reasonable for not sharing a place. Please tell me where in Toronto you've found a place for less than 825/month.

Edit: and thankfully I found a free laptop solution and still don't have to pay rent!

tuyop fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 7, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
The problem is that I do, in fact, have an apartment. In Edmonton, Alberta. (I also have a wife there) The apartment costs $825.

Because the army is a ridiculous organization of silliness, I have to live in Fredericton, New Brunswick until July 25th, when I will be free to drive to Edmonton on my own dime and get on with my life.

Ordinarily, this situation would be covered under a benefit called "imposed restrictions" and the army would basically cover one of the spouse's living expenses. However, computer said no because of a technicality so we get nothing and are expected to pay for two apartments because the army separated us.

The good news is that I don't have to pay an apartment's $28/day, or the Legion's $30/day, or the base's $35/day, because I have friends, a car, and a tent and don't need nice things for a month. This doesn't mean I don't want nice things or get bored with the way I'm living, but it does mean that instead of ~1600 on housing this month, we'll only be spending 825.

I never said, "Hey guys, I'm not living anywhere therefore I can afford a laptop now!"

cstine said, "Why aren't you paying rent anyway?" (well, "It's pretty retarded that you're not paying rent", actually)

I said, "Because rent costs this much and if I go without, here is how much I stand to save. Isn't that great?"

I only bring up the "I haven't bought anything in awhile" because I'm being told pretty regularly here that I simply don't get it. And "not getting it" doesn't seem to be reflected by anything concrete like purchasing things, which is what I would assume.

Also, this is pretty funny:

cstine posted:

You shouldn't be viewing ANY "saving" you do from line items on the budget as money you can just blow on whatever (a laptop, a new bike, a vacation, or a pony) you should instead be viewing it as extra debt payments or savings - don't buy poo poo with money you come in on under budget until you don't owe people anything, you've got six months or a year of living expenses saved up, your retirement accounts are maxed out and you're not having over-runs in other areas of your budget.

Baloogan posted:

Tuyop has this retardation that makes him think about things as all black or all white. Its either a nice apartment or homelessness.

I wonder why I would feel that way! :allears:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Me in Reverse posted:

The point that everyone is making is if you feel like "I'm living in a ditch for a month so that means I have an extra $825, I should spend it on a laptop!" instead of "I'm living in a ditch for a month so that means I have an extra $825, I should spend it on [shelter, debt repayment, savings]!" which is loving stupid.

You keep doing this poo poo. You're *toughing it out* and not having a place to live like a normal loving human, but you'll spend that money on a laptop BECAUSE you're ~toughing it out~ and ~deserve something to make that better~.

Yeah except I didn't say that, and I'd have to actually buy something for the second part to be true.

HooKars posted:

Is there any chance you could offer your dad a [less than the cost of a normal laptop] amount of money to buy the laptop from him since you think you're going to want one shortly in the future for school anyway? While nobody here thinks you should spend $500 on a new laptop, if this is a chance to get a used laptop from a family member for cheap, I would say you should go for it since almost certainly, you're going to end up justifying a full price one as soon as you start school.

I'm also not going to do that. This is a laptop for an architectural firm. It's a 17" behemoth and not at all what I'm looking for for school.

In the worst case (living on toeshoes' income, using savings for tuition), we can probably still afford a laptop. It would need to be looked at at that point.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
:siren: June Update :siren:

Yay content!

The most pertinent item here is savings. Up 2k! (Please note, that with the exceptional resolution on a Retina Macbook Pro - which I could finance on a CANEX plan for $0 and 0% interest - I would be able to provide a much more beautiful graph)

Woo the insanity ends!

- Auto and transport is like, high because I dropped some 250 bucks on tools and parts.
- "Travel" and "Food & Dining" are high because we booked my flight for the wedding from Edmonton to Halifax (650) and because we stayed in Toronto for a weekend on the army's dime (400-something plus like a month's worth of meals, who knows! :iiam:).
- Uncategorized is because toeshoes had to pay $220 in cash for something but can't really remember what it was right now.

I'd put the net worth graph from Mint here but it's not accurate because a $2000 transfer to our daily CC hasn't completed on the CC's end. It's nearly $0, though!

Edit: Speaking of "a little trip", I am jonesing for a terrible all inclusive resort vacation to somewhere after all this stress of the separation, the windfall of the pension payout, and the weddding. :allears:

tuyop fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 10, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

You should not be paying fees to withdraw money from your own accounts. If you are paying ATM fees, you're doing something wrong.

Example: if you pay $1.50 every time you take out $40, you are paying 3.75% of your money to the bank just to have your money.

Yes, that's why she took 220 out at once.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

HooKars posted:

You guys should be withdrawing money from a bank that doesn't have ANY withdrawal fees regardless of amount withdrawn (e.g. a bank in your network). If the bank you guys currently are using isn't as prevalent where ToeShoes is then she needs to find a new bank that is or a bank that reimburses fees for non-network banks on a wider scale. Having to take out a large amount so then you just "lose track of the money" is its own kind of fee.

Yes, that's what happened.

This isn't exactly a new concept to us. We bank with a no-fees brand of a large Canadian bank with thousands of ATMs all over the country. I think we also just really don't give a gently caress about this cash transaction. It's not a pattern, it has happened literally just once. Whatever.

We categorized it in the budget as toeshoes' fun money for now (or forever, whatever), it balanced perfectly, we met our goals. It's not a big deal.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

HooKars posted:

It's more the "I took out a large sum of money to avoid a transaction fee, then paid the people I owed, then lost track of what I did with the remaining $220" -- or that's how I read it, and they didn't quantify how much was for gas money -- that I have a problem with. If they're counting it as Toeshoes blow money, then that's cool. Otherwise, I wouldn't see a huge difference between that and a $500 computer, aside from a computer would be more like a $220 mistake that accidentally occured twice, and they'd have a computer to show for it vs. no idea where the money went.

Not what happened.

It's more like, "The no-fee ATM that's in my bank's network is three blocks away, and there's one in the grocery store. I know I need cash this week for ???, so I'll take out $220 now and just carry forty bucks with me and keep the rest in a coffee can."

Usually for this we budget it as a $220 transfer to a "cash" account, and then buy things with cash and track them out of that account. I don't know if the money is just in a pocket of toeshoes' other pants or if she bought a bunch of beads and sandwiches with it or set it all on fire. The only difference is that instead of transferring it to the cash account and then categorizing each transaction as toeshoes' fun money (if applicable), it's now just gone straight to the fun money category. Like I said, it all balanced so whatever.

Edit:

No Wave posted:

If you're changing to a different framework than "the roof's on fire", that's fine, whatever, but I don't recommend it.

The framework right now is based on the fact that we'll have a pretty large windfall of my severance and pension value in the fall. That pension value can be used to pay off my debt, tax-free, by putting into an RRSP and then using it based on the Lifelong Learning Plan.

We're also maintaining two "households" for the next sixteen days, so there are some additional expenses to be expected. At the same time, I'm saving money in case my disability pay doesn't work properly, and in case they don't cover my tuition. That savings is currently worth 14500.

In summary, the large savings (for us, this is about 7 months of expenses, or my entire tuition) increased paycheque that toeshoes is pulling, and windfall(s) coming in the next few months, are kind of producing a weird sense of security and false accomplishment and we have to be careful to maintain the same frugality. But I really don't think we're doing that bad. The worst case scenario is $0 income from me for two years, using savings for tuition, and living on toeshoes' income, which is perfectly possible given our spending. The worst case scenario is also hugely unlikely because no matter what happens I'll be getting my pension value.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 10, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\ My job IS rock solid, I could still be staying at Borden, keeping quiet and just letting administration take two more years. I just don't loving want it anymore so I'm leaving regardless of the finances. I mean, this whole time I have never failed to receive a pay.

Toeshoes is qualified and has a contract for another two years. It's about as secure a job in terms of a paycheque as you can get.

Baloogan posted:

I think the trick with work is to just try to not hurt your back. I work with a guy who is like 29 and he hosed up his back really bad at work.

I plan to lift nothing heavy for the rest of my life.

Lifting is fine, I lift heavy poo poo all the time.

The key is to not fall into an old trench with 150lbs of kit and heavy weapons on you.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 10, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

Well how in hell am I going to get out of lifting heavy poo poo? I'm one lazy motherfucker.

Well, I guess you could just start eating. It covers you in a couple of ways.

Also, :wtc: at "disabilitysecrets.com".

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
What's the general opinion on bank accounts that require a minimum balance?

I went to TD this week to open a LIRA for the locked-in portion of my pension (which was free). They were really pushing the Select Service Account. It has a $30/month payment unless you keep a 5k balance. Oh and they give you a free Android tablet.

$5-7000 is about what sits in our chequing accounts anyway, just for general intermittent expenses and because all of our bills are automated, so we'd only get hit with a fee in an emergency.

The big benefit is that you never pay fees on ATMs, foreign exchange and withdrawals from US and overseas ATMs, and they waive the annual fee on their arguably-sweet travel card, which returns 1.5-4.5% based on a quick glance at reviews.

The "cost" would be like 48 cents a month from the interest bearing chequing account we have now. We're also pretty happy with our experience with these free accounts and haven't needed any of the features that we'd be getting with the new account, so it seems a bit pointless. Except for that tablet.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\ I already have a barebones, no-fee, interest-bearing chequing account from PC Financial. I'm interested in the features, yo.

FrozenVent posted:

Good :words:

And you don't need a drat tablet.

Yeah, I don't even really want a cheap Android tablet.

As for the impulse control on the 5k (7k right now, actually), we've done our banking this way for months now and haven't felt the urge to get our accounts down to 0 just because. We don't even use debit for things that don't need it, we have a $6500 limit, no fee cashback credit card that's paid us 100 dollars so far this year to pay for everything. We stick to the budget, don't buy poo poo that's not in the plan, the CC automatically takes the full statement amount out of my account every month and it's been pretty much perfect.

Also, I'm in school for two years and one of them is a practicum. Why does everyone think it's four years?

The travel thing interested me because we'll be debt-free once my pension comes in, and I want to take a nice trip when we have the time after the debt is gone. Depending, of course.

The ATM thing is no fee for any ATM, not just TD's. That's the feature of it. Right now we just use CIBC or PC ATMs, which are free.

Now, before someone asks what the breakdown of that 7k is, here's a quick rundown:

400 xmas
1800 wedding
750 buffer
500 tires
500 fuel (I'm driving to Edmonton in two weeks)
375 car payment
600 insurance savings (to avoid finance charges when I renew)
500 car maintenance savings
~1500 in emergency savings that hasn't migrated over to the savings account yet. :effort:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

HookShot posted:

Don't do it, not until you've got 7k at least in savings that you can just leave sitting there.

Well we have that 12k e-fund as well, half of which could be recruited for getting rid of the fee I guess. I'd kind of like to just invest my cash in a TFSA and use springy debt for emergencies, though instead of having it languish in dumb savings accounts.

That's a whole other kettle of fish, though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Switchback posted:

Jesus loving gently caress gently caress. I'm just arriving to this party and spent the past 4 days sifting through 91 loving pages of this god drat thread. You want to buy a laptop cause you're bored for a month? Are you serious? I didn't have my own computer for two loving years of my college career. Once I got my first real grown up professional job, I had a laptop, but then I spent two years with no home internet, because it didn't fit into my budget. FOUR YEARS I was not entertained by the internet.

The whole reason you're in this stupid, self-imposed shitcycle is because you TRAVELED THE loving WORLD. I didn't get off the continent until I turned 27 and blindly took a job that relocated me to a county I had never been to before, because economically that's the only way I could finance this adventure. You took your rewards before you earned them, and now you have to pay that back. The adventure you've had driving a fun car and going on fourteen motherfucking vacations has earned you one whole month of (barely) limited digital entertainment. Life is not that boring, you're just kind of a spoiled brat. You need a month of solitude to get your humble pants on and your gratitude stick wet. Jesus.

Yeah I loving suck and you're just awesome, aren't you?

:hf:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
The fact is you have it, the task is to want it.

-- Epictetus, or maybe a rapper I like :iiam:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zo posted:

I agree with the other guy who said you should buy that Macbook pro.

Well, it can be had on a 0%, 0 down financing plan through the CANEX, the payments will just come off of Toeshoes' pay!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

Don't forget, he's still planning to buy a brand-new laptop at full price sometime in the near future. The one he's borrowing now is a business laptop for an architecture company, so it's too clunky and uncool for his college needs. To be fair, tuyop does have back problems, but a 17" laptop isn't that heavy, and he seems to prioritize spartan living over back health in every other case.

I'm also receiving 24k in cash which can be used tax-free under the LLLP ("paid back" by a minimum of 10% of the principal/year after graduation), 76k in net income topups over the next 24 months, 25k in a locked-in account, and we have 14k in savings just in case.

And 32k in debt.

I think I'll be in a position where buying a laptop is alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
The 14k is not our emergency fund, it's just money we've saved for the inevitable administrative shitshow when everyone loses my file and never gives me anything because their computers have decided that I was never born or something. Once disability pay is received, we'll move the 14k in savings onto my student line of credit.

This will bring the debt down to ~18k, or just my car loan at 1.9%.

FrozenVent posted:

Also you're not *receiving* LLLP, that's money you are temporarily taking out of your retirement account. You're not going X + 24k = Y, you're going X = Y, your net worth stays the same. (Well, it'll go down until you repay yourself the principal and interest, but anyway.) I've heard someone describe it as "Borrowing from yourself", which I think is pretty apt. Don't forget that you have to pay that poo poo back, though, or the CRA is going to come knocking.

Yeah, that's why I said receiving 24k in cash. Receiving is still probably the wrong term because it's just a transfer of value from my pension which I've been paying for the past six years. The plan is to put it into an RRSP (necessary if I don't want a $9000 tax bill), then use the LLLP to withdraw enough to pay down the car loan. Then I'll just repay it as quickly as possible using the continued savings that used to go to debt repayment.

Then I can finally set the car on fire.

And buy a laptop.

And we may go on a vacation.

• Locked thread