Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

tuyop posted:

I'm an officer in the military.

Are you going to be going for any jobs that require a clearance? In the US, the amount of debt you carry can affect your chances of getting a Top Secret (or higher) clearance. I'm not sure how/if it's different in Canada but over here, if you carry too much debt, you look like an espionage risk on paper. (I'm not sure what your job is so all of this may not even be an issue for you.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

CornHolio posted:

I will agree with you that those are pretty terrible pictures. Maybe I just don't have an aesthetic sense but I couldn't imagine hanging those in my living quarters let alone spending money for them.

Hey I like the second one but without the little banners. Also I think the one with the green chairs is so popular because it's got a reflection of the Louvre in it. (I only found that out from the description - I never would have spotted it myself so who knows if other people are more astute.)

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

Breetai posted:

Tuyop, have you read Zaurg's thread? Because while I know you've read Cornholio's, Zaurg is probably more your style what with the 'I made a budget but then I spent money beyond it anyway. Oh well' approach that you both seem to share.

I highly recommend the Zaurg thread too. Oh the wacky antics of Zaurg and his "keep up with the Joneses" wife! :allears:

One word: Wonderhangers.

Seriously, read it though. It's a fun thread.

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

tuyop posted:

Guys, I really want a new iphone. My 3GS is now two generations behind. Two! Things are going to stop being supported for it soon! What do I do?

Budget for it and get a new one when you've saved up enough. It's not like they melt down after they're not supported anymore. We have 3G phones that we are just now going to replace. Not a big deal.

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

Shooting Blanks posted:

This. If you absolutely, positively feel the need to give gifts, write some personal letters to everyone you'd normally give a gift to and express how happy you are to have them in your life. Should cost you a max of $5 in postage and supplies.

I've been asking for hand-written letters from friends and family for years. A letter is a precious, memorable gift. Not many things give as much joy two decades later as they did the first day they were received.

Any fool can give a gift. It takes real balls and thought to write a personal letter.

Nether Postlude fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 27, 2011

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

tuyop posted:

I'm seriously considering squatting in the forest near the base or living in the back of my car parked in one of the Podunk towns around here.

So what do you guys think?

Hahaha what the gently caress is this? Going to take your military training and become a mountain man? Well, do it in summer/fall if you insist in living off the land, and take photos.

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.
Tuyop, this thread made me think of you when you said you wanted to go teach up North. It's not quite the same thing as it's a guy teaching at a Navaho reservation but hopefully, you will not experience have to deal with many of the same problems.

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

tuyop posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to pay for swimming lessons in August.

Wait, you don't know how to swim? I figured since you were so outdoorsy that would be one of the things you'd definitely know. At the least, one would hope military training would cover it.

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

archangelwar posted:

I say keep the dent and the 500 bucks.

Agreed. People will still buy the car with the dent in it.

Also re-write that ad to sound professional. This is not the time to try to be witty.

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

Badger Pudding posted:

But I can seriously vouch that his entire life has been a series of bad luck. He is not making this poo poo up, or exaggerating.

Some folks just need bigger emergency funds than others.

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

tuyop posted:

- I use my bike every day, I put more mileage on it than my car.

- Compared to a 650 dollar car repair, a 280 dollar bike upgrade/repair felt like absolutely nothing.

I also need to buy a bed, I'm thinking of putting one on the zero interest, equal payments Canex plan. Probably along with winter tires in November. With all the Gucci bike poo poo I've bought, my savings aren't where I thought they'd be.

But you're still going to have to get your car repaired for winter aren't you? Have you gotten the damage fixed or is the 650 dollars for the winter tires alone?

Also I would caution anyone living in an area that snows consistently in winter from assuming all will be fine until November.

Leperflesh posted:

( You are bad at clearly communicating your situation.)

This. I don't know if you're just bad at writing down the important details, can't be arsed to do so, or what but it makes it hard to read your situation accurately.

Nether Postlude fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 25, 2012

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

Cicero posted:

I think when you said

people assumed you had no full-time job.

Aye I did too. See this is the thing: I like you, Tuyop, but you have a maddening way of phrasing things that leaves out a critical detail that really affects people's opinions and the advice someone would give you in this thread.

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

spog posted:

EDIT: What you are doing is subconsciously deliberately depriving yourself of comfort as a means of punishing yourself for not feeling like you are being careful with money.

And now he's planning to make his girlfriend suffer just as unreasonably too.

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

Leperflesh posted:

I don't know about the rest of you...

:words:

I think most of us here feel the same way Spog does. We always see the possible good ending for the OP even if he/she doesn't. Goons, myself included, definitely get emotionally invested in threads so we want to see the OP succeed.

Nether Postlude fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 18, 2012

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

tuyop posted:

Thanks guys, I feel like it's not going fast enough, but there's only so much blood that I can get from this stone.

You have been unseated by a new challenger!

Seriously though: keep up the good work, mate. I know it feels like it's not going fast enough but you'll get there! :cheers:

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

tuyop posted:

So we'd have a tank of minnows with tubes taking the fish-fertilized water (bacteria turn the ammonia into nitatratss) into the grow trough, with plants floating on foam rafts. The plants clean the nitrates from the water and the water is returned to the fish by gravity.

What the gently caress. If you guys really do this then I advise you to only let ToeShoes touch the equipment. For safety's sake.

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

CuddleChunks posted:

And reeks like disgusting fish poop! :yaycloud: Hooray!

Yeah have you guys figured out how you'll deal with that/clean the tank? Man, the fish thing is a super bad idea. You are taking a simple concept and making it needlessly complex.

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

Never you mind posted:

Taking you at your basilly word: the hydroponic basil they sell at Wegmans in the winter kind of sucks. Thin leaves, not strongly scented, not very flavorful. It's not exactly a miracle product.

That said, if you really want a challenge and make some real cash, it's saffron you want to be growing. :smug:

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

Leperflesh posted:

Also it originates in Crete and today is mostly grown in Iran. Tuyop can convert his spare bedroom into an Iranian climate, right?

Of course! Go big or go home. :clint:

Edit: I'm so glad someone changed Tuyop's avatar. This one is much nicer. BASIL is such a pretty herb to look at, and has so many uses!

Nether Postlude fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 4, 2012

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

Fraternite posted:

Basil grows quickly.

loving hell this is true. It's a good starter herb for novice gardeners because it grows like a weed once it gets going.

Serious question: assuming someone did have organic herbs to sell the grocery stores and restaurants, wouldn't you need a business license, and maybe an organic certification if you were going that route? I honestly don't know. Also for a place like Costco, wouldn't you need to go through their corporate purchasing department or something like that?

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

ToeShoes posted:

I also quit smoking smoking, we budgeted $120 a month for that, but I'm sure I actually spent more.

Congratulations! :cheers:

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

FrozenVent posted:

Calculating your net worth as a percentage of your total lifetime income is a terrible, meaningless metric. Seriously - I know the feeling of looking at your tax return and thinking "Where the gently caress did this cash go?", but looking back that way isn't going to help you.

Concentrate on what's coming in and what's going out, and your present net worth. Lifetime earning is pretty mch a meaningless number in practice.

Agreeing with this completely. Looking back at money you spent on a candybar when you were 8 isn't going to give you any deep financial insight. Concentrate on changing the situation you're in now rather than overanalyzing your lifetime financial history. Otherwise, it'll only serve to overwhelm and depress you.

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

tuyop posted:

Hey we got our late-filed tax return back. Toeshoes got around $900 and I got $61.25. I'm never filing on time again!

Also, this pays for our ridiculously lavish sushi outing last weekend AND will probably be turned into a countertop aquaponic garden, gently caress the haters.

God bless us, everyone. :angel:

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

April posted:

If you want to do the tiny house thing, why not just buy one that's already made?

http://tinyhouselistings.com/

Some of these are actually pretty nice-looking, and most are priced for less than your car. Once you are out of debt, that is.

I like tiny houses. Then again, my SO live in a 700 sq ft apartment in Manhattan.

Tuyop, why not consider a yurt? They're cool as hell and look to be cheaper too.

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

tuyop posted:

Regarding the breast pump and Christmas expense. The pump was kind of sprung on us as our "share" of a present for the SIL who is really not in the proper place to be having a child, and between us it's not really a big deal. Toeshoes also has a huge immediate family and we're splitting the cost, so I don't think it's an outrageous amount to spend.

The lowest we can go is 400 for travel, we'll try to save money by buying our gifts in the US on the way home, but again the 600 estimate is split between us and I really don't think it's that expensive. I kind of hate the whole practice of exchanging nonconsumable gifts between adults for the holidays, but it is what it is.

Uncool about the person(s) who sprung the "here's your share of an expensive gift" thing on you. I mean, I'm not a breast pump expert but it looks to me like your relatives are choosing the most top-of-the-line breast pump and you are going halfsies on it. If Toeshoes's immediate family is so huge, why are you guys having to pay such a large portion of this gift? This doesn't seem fair to me. Do they understand your monetary situation? If not, I agree with the previous posters that you need to let them know. It's transparency and people don't like to talk about money but you need to be honest about what you can and can't do right now.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I've been in your same situation before - well at least with a lot of debt and not a lot of money coming in. I had to miss gift-giving and holiday travelling a couple of years in a row because I just couldn't afford it. Relatives and friends who truly love you will understand.

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

tuyop posted:

The best thing would just be to have like some kind of teleconferenced Christmas, but toeshoes would probably leave me because she's very close with her family, and then I'd lose the second income! Consider this vacation an investment that maintains a 40k stream of revenue into our lives.

You have a crap way of putting things.

tuyop posted:

However, if we do this for every child who comes into the family, poo poo could get unreasonable quickly, and we still would want to save for our own child whenever we decide to stop practicing and make a baby for real. What do you guys think?

tuyop posted:

Well, we would probably have a child (or two) in five or six years after becoming debt-free. So, if we get debt free in 12 months, then we're talking about 24 years of savings for some portion of that magical 92-115k.

I'll see your two posts and raise you:

tuyop posted:

Also, I'm terrified of buying a house. It seems like a trap. I also don't really want kids. I'd be much happier with a nice apartment downtown, nice car, and lots of trips and an interesting life than a wife, 1.5 children, pets, front-loading washing machine, the whole American dream. I'm like the anti-BFC except for right now when my dream lifestyle got me into a ton of trouble.

I know people change their minds on things like having kids but you flip so quickly on big and small life decisions alike that I wonder where your head is sometimes.

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

canyoneer posted:

If taking some time to drive to Mom's for Christmas doesn't mean that you are losing income from missing work, I don't see why it's a big deal. I don't know Canadian geography, but I wouldn't fault his family for being sad or offended that he didn't spring for the $150 in gas to come visit. Plus they'll cook for him for a week because that's what moms do. :allears:

If they were asking him to fly cross-country or go on the traditional family Caribbean Christmas cruise, that would be a different story.

$150 for gas is a lot of money if you don't have it and/or are living paycheck-to-paycheck. Also not everyone's mom cooks.

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

cstine posted:

If a roommate insists on a tv, then they can buy it.

They'll probably own one anyway.

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

tuyop posted:

Yes, I've brought it up with my psychologist. She says that externalizing the source of your self-worth is problematic and I agree.

BUT, all we can really do is spend our time and money in accordance with our values, that is a thing that we can control. So, I think it will be helpful to start spending my time in accordance with my values. Even if I used this time to better myself and become some kind of PHd level comp sci type of dude, I would still feel lovely about it because that's not what I'm being paid to do. The government of Canada is paying me for a service that I'm not able to deliver, and I hate it. I feel like I'm stealing.

Learning will help you be a better teacher. You can't truly develop your own style of teaching until you really see how others do it. And I don't just mean from when you were in high school. So here, take some free courses. They'll help you be a better, more rounded person too:

http://www.openculture.com/freeonlinecourses
https://www.coursera.org/
http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm
http://www.academicearth.org/

Also here's a tumblr just of Nunavut food sticker shock: http://nunavutfoodprice.tumblr.com/ Makes living in NYC look like it's 1950.

edit from that tumblr page:

quote:

Almost all of these photos come from the excellent Facebook group:

Feeding My Family

These photos are simply going up in the order discovered. No effort is being made to filter them. Not for pricing, or for nutrition. Consider it a walk down the aisle at your local Nunavut retailer.

I urge you to look all the way to the bottom, some of the best photos are buried down there.

Look closely at the price tags. If you see the letters NNC in the lower right hand side, that means the item is already receiving the federal Nutrition North shipping subsidy.

Many of those subsidized items are scheduled to be removed from the subsidy list in October, so some of those prices will likely go up.

Thanks for looking.

Nether Postlude fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 9, 2013

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

Fraternite posted:

No, it really is.

Doing meaningful work is an important part of a lot of people's self-worth, and getting paid to do nothing doesn't really cut it.

Yeah it does. Most people's jobs aren't meaningful or life-affirming or whatever. They get paid so they can make rent and pay bills and pay off debts. In this economy, most people do not really have much of a choice.

Nether Postlude fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 10, 2013

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

Leperflesh posted:

dung from herbivores is good and dung from omnivores is terrible, which is why people don't fertilize their crops with pig manure even though we've got plenty of that nasty stuff to go around.

But what if Tuyop becomes a vegan?

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

Two Finger posted:

In what universe is a workout plan like this sedentary?

Tuyop keeps using that word. I do not think it means what he thinks it means.

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah, Cornholio would have never done that!

I totally fell for CH's April Fool's jokes the first two years too. Ah, the heady days of youth.

Congrats on your good progress through March, Tuyop!

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

tuyop posted:

Oh yeah, we're getting married tomorrow too.

Congratulations! (I shall buy some basil in your honor.)

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.
As much as Tuyop is determined to be homeless and live off the land, I think this is what will happen if push comes to shove:

tuyop posted:

I have a couple of friends if I need to stay somewhere

Though if he's going to be homeless for a bit, this is the time of the year to do it.

Also, dumb question Tuyop: will you be getting any rental deposit back? (Did you even have to put down one?)

Nether Postlude fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 1, 2013

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

Main Paineframe posted:

The fact that you already have a computer and have just been deprived of access to it for a couple of weeks while your fiance uses it. You wouldn't be "buying a computer", you would be "buying another computer", and that's an entirely different set of calculus. Buying a cheap computer can be a decent decision if you don't have one, but buying a second computer because you can't wait a couple weeks to get the one you already own back is the kind of leisure you shouldn't be blowing money on. Besides, you're able to post here about your bad decisions...

Wait, I'm confused about this too. Tuyop, what computer are you posting on now and why won't you have it in August?

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.
Tuyop, you could use this time to write and reflect on what it's like to essentially go retro - like how it was back in the day. I'm 40 so I remember such a time without computers, but it would be a real struggle for me to go without one now. It would be an interesting experiment for you to try if you're feeling adventurous.

This guy went without the internet for a year. The results might surprise you:

http://theverge.com/2013/5/1/4279674/im-still-here-back-online-after-a-year-without-the-internet

Nether Postlude fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 7, 2013

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.
I thought Toeshoes quit smoking. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.
Congratulations, Tuyop!

Don't forget us little people on your way up to further financial glory. What a great ride it's been with you.

(Also I am proud to say I am the one who first mentioned the yurt idea. :sun:)

:cheers:

• Locked thread