Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tuyop, I just finished reading the whole thread recently. I never actually figured out if BASIL was code for weed or not. Did your manic brain honestly think you'd be raking in the cash growing an herb that sells for like $1/$2 per ounce?

Regardless, congrats on wiping out so much of your debt! You've come a pretty long way from the beginning of the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

haplesscardsharp posted:

This is so wrong that I'm having difficulty creating a lovely hyperbolic response to it.

This one sentence describes most of my time browsing these forums.

Tuyop, don't buy a MacBook Air. Don't buy any Apple products ever, you are paying a premium for a brand logo on your computer.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

tuyop posted:

It's also kind of strange that you guys are flipping out over this as if I'm about to go buy it right now and plunge myself into some kind of spending spree.

Tuyop you are not allowed to say things like this anymore. Given your history of putting surprise information in your update posts of "Oh, hey, went and bought this unnecessary thing!" you don't get to complain about goon reaction to you proposing yet more unnecessary spending.

Also, I thought you said you didn't need a laptop at all, so why is it now "If I buy a laptop"?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

tuyop posted:

...including a nice windfall of cash.

You're going to blow this on something dumb, I can already tell. Please just use it to pay off more debt instead of a vacation.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

tuyop posted:

Or buy a TV and go camping and kayaking in Banff, I don't know.

Edit: Or use it for the security deposit when we move in a couple of months.

:smith:

Why aren't you using past security deposits to pay for future ones? Are you ruining these places in the 1-2 months that you live there so much that you're losing the deposit? Or when you get the security deposit back from a place after you leave do you go "Yay, windfall of money! Time to spend!"?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

tuyop posted:

And I can't have my crockpot yet! I have to move to a new apartment to have my stuff shipped from storage in Halifax. I have until July 2015 to do this but obviously I'd like it to happen soon.

I'm confused, doesn't the Canadian Army keep paying for your moves? Why do you have to wait until 2015 to get your stuff out of storage?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm gonna say something kinda anti-BFC here but you should just buy another crockpot for the time being. They're like $30-$40, and you'll save a ton of money by cooking amazing meals that can last for days.

Unless you'll be moving in like a month or two. If you don't plan on moving for like 3 months or more, I'd argue it makes sense to buy another. Plus, then you have a backup if you break the ceramic part of it while cleaning it like I did. :smith:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tuyop, you are/were the Canadian equivalent of a drill sergeant, right? I find it kind of hilarious that you have the exact same first day experience as a 18 year old kid on his first day at college.

Everyone gets lost, goes to the wrong class, forgets an assignment, etc. Most professors don't do any lecturing on the first day because they know it's such a clusterfuck, they just hand out the syllabus and discuss how the class is structured. Your reaction of "I need electronics to save me!" is weird, and this is coming from someone who loving loves to buy pointless gadgets/gizmos. Wait till a couple weeks go by and you get into the swing of school before you start freaking out and demanding an iDevice.

I don't know why, but I can't get the image out of my head of a R. Lee Emery type being all scared and confused on his first day of school. It's so :3:.

You'll figure it out, Tuyop. From all accounts, you're good at your job, so I guess it's safe to say your idiocy is really only financial.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 11, 2013

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Share with us your yurt blueprints. Make sure to leave room for the BASIL garden.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

tuyop posted:

The onus is on the teacher to do the hard work and reflection to figure out how they can trap their students into falling in love with their subjects.

Tuyop, this is a kind of a misguided belief because not every kid is going to love every subject but they still need to learn them.

Like, sure, you can make classes more engaging to your heart's content but you're still going to get that kid who goes "Ugh, I hate math" and will never enjoy it no matter how fun you make it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeffrey posted:

In a desperate attempt to feel something again BFC convinces tuyop that he should get a balloon mortgage on his yurt.

History is doomed to repeat itself. BFC is going to create a yurt-based mortgage-backed security investment scheme that will cause a massive economic collapse of the yurt industry.

Congrats, tuyop, you crazy Canuck! :toot:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mulatto Butts posted:

For the record, I totally thought you were talking about growing weed to pay off your debt.

He was. It's a testament to how crazy Tuyop was that I (and probably many others) actually thought he had a plan to become a basil farmer.

Also I love your avatar. Archer Vice is amazing so far.

Mulatto Butts posted:

your half-baked ideas kept me sane in a rough period.

I feel like this is true for a lot of us, but Slow Motion fills that void now. And if he manages to fix himself (and I really hope he does), there will be another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4JVcvR7IM0

There is always another.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

tuyop posted:

I still maintain that aquaponic BASIL is a loving excellent idea and you guys would be all over it if I'd posted it as a business plan instead of a totally excellent scheme to solve all my problems (which it would have been).

Yes, if now-sane tuyop pitched a BASIL growing business proposal, I imagine BFC would have a much more positive reaction.

I want to reiterate that reading your summary of your story on the last page was pretty inspiring. It's amazing to have seen you come so far. Good job, dude!

• Locked thread