Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

KarmaCandy posted:

Yes, haircuts should come out of cash but I can't at all fathom why you need one every two weeks.
Yeh, what the gently caress? You can go for a couple of months without a haircut. It won't kill you.

Did you need the multitool too, or was it just nice to have?

You can't just go spending poo poo and keep going 'whoops, over budget again :shobon:'. That's not how poo poo works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

tuyop posted:

Should I be satisfied with a 1000 dollar checking balance for emergencies right now

How much is your health insurance excess?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

tuyop posted:

They must have charged me for someone else's gas, I was on the phone and I didn't notice :doh:.

Don't be rude. You deserve it. Stop talking on your phone and interact with the person behind the register.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

tuyop posted:

Yeah I worked at gas stations for five years.

Then you should know how rude it is to talk on your phone whilst someone serves you. I don't really care either way if you can get the refund, I'm just saying it's rude and to stop doing it.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

This thread already gives me the same tingly feeling I got when I read Zaurg's and that makes me really happy.

BFC, we have been saved :)

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Before you come back with some sort of rationalisation yet again, or claim you still don't understand, read Leperfish's post at least twice over. Keep going until you understand because it's not really possible to make it any simpler.

And also, before anyone else calls it, smoking = Tuyop's Mini.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

tuyop posted:

"Because I like that thing and it's not like it's ruining me.

Except that it is.

As others have said, it's not just one thing that's forming our opinions. It's a combination of tuyop's hypocritical position regarding his health, the cost of cigs and the fact that it's a worthless habit that combines to cause this frustration. If it were any one of those three alone, it'd have been dropped after a page of slugging, however the combination means it's a bigger point.

tuyop posted:

Also, that's a lot of money to spend on booze (but whatever). I've had problems with alcohol in the past so I'm very very cautious about it now. Maybe I just have an addictive personality.

Gee that fills me with confidence that you'll kick it once you finish training like you plan to.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 25, 2011

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Kobayashi posted:

I've missed you :)

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Keep on justifyin', bro! :c00lbert:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

tuyop posted:

1. I'll spend my goddamn money however I goddamn want.

That's what got you in debt in the first place you loving retard. You posted this thread asking us to tell you how to change your spending. They are diametrically opposite points of view.

Christ you're loving stupid.

tuyop posted:

What are you guys going to do when I meet all my deadlines and still buy cigarettes and underwear?

Watch you go right back in to just as much debt because you haven't learned a loving thing about how to control yourself once your situation changes. You are exactly the same as zaurg in that regard, except you're an even bigger idiot because your issues are so much more stupid. The only reason he was going up rather than down was due to overtime money. He hadn't learned a single thing on how to control his money and nor have/will you.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

tuyop posted:

My girlfriend just got a job offer as a vehicle tech in the military. It's double the income and she starts in october. I'm trying to explain all the traps I fell into and the importance of budgeting despite having more money than ever before. It's kind of valuable for me at least and I hope she's not staring at negative net worth in two years or so.

What could possibly go wrong.

Anyone willing to guess the over/under on how long til she has a thread here?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

tuyop posted:

What do you mean? Does anybody ever get a new job with double the income and come out of it without incurring massive amounts of debt? I'm just telling her she should start budgeting now and act as if she's on her original income until she has enough saved up to do whatever she wants. We talk about her financial goals all the time, since mine are pretty boring.

Yes, many people in fact possess basic self-control and manage not to spend beyond their means even after payrises.

What I meant by my comments was that you giving anyone financial / budgeting advice is a hilarious case of the blind leading the blind and chances are if she listens to the same financial genius you applied to your past, she'll soon need a thread here too.

Lyon posted:

I'm on tuyop's side in this thing. He's got money set aside for these purchases and he's paying down his debt. I'd have to look at his budget again to see if he is hitting the goals he established but it sounds like he is. If that $150 is money not required to meet his debt goals or to pay necessities how can you bitch at what he spends it on? Isn't that the point of a budget? That money is budgeted as free money.

The problem is that, like zaurg, he's only like this due to exceptional circumstances. He's spending less than earning simply because he's getting field allowance. He's not actually learning any self-restraint, which will prove itself important when his situation changes and his income decreases. Zaurg was getting overtime. Tuyop's getting allowance.

It's incredibly difficult to adapt to less income. Learning how to be thrifty now makes sense rather than waiting until the stakes actually matter. Te result of failure now just mean staying the course and not paying down as much debt. The result of failure when the circumstances change is pulling down more debt to survive. He's not going to change his spending then, just as we all know he won't quit smoking once his field time is over. Look at the graph earlier - the only reason he breaks even is when his income is above the base level, it offsets his excess spending. He's addicted to spending needlessly just as he's addicted to smoking and he'll justify it now whilst it doesn't matter as much, not realising that now's the time to make change so that when it does matter, he has kicked the habit.

Frankly, I don't give a poo poo if it's $100 underpants to hide his skid marks that he wastes his money on. It's the fact that he's completely against actually trying to learn any good skills or practices that shits me off.

tuyop posted:

I kind of remembered that and kept the 200/month savings plan up. By next September, despite my extravagant underwear and/or socks, I should have more than enough to buy a suit, formal wear, and the endless list of fashion minutia I need to be a (cool) professional adult male.

That's a great idea, spend the 200$/mo savings you had forgotten about (what the gently caress, how?) on fashion crap rather than improving your debt situation.

Edit to elaborate on the page 2 graph comment, above:
Average income across all months: $3185.12
Average expenses across all months: $2991.40
Difference: $193.72

However, assuming that all months >$2550 are field months and we exclude them to get a better idea of spending against base (reliable) salary, it becomes:
Average income: $2297.39
Average expenses: $2873.13
Difference: $-575.74

Basically, tuyop consistently spends over his base salary, relying on extra entitlements to cover the difference. That's just as stupid as relying on overtime income to cover expenses.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 6, 2011

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

5. Are you as financially stupid as he is or are our fears of you splurging with a pay rise and digging your own hole financially completely unfounded?

6. Do you enable his elitist view of entitlement for premium purchases / are you just as bad yourself, or is he alone in this (eg: would you eat frozen veges)?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Badger Pudding posted:

RealEdit: You guys should probably also know, I'm the ex-girlfriend.
As a less biased source, do you agree that it is no-jokes large?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

ToeShoes posted:

6. I like how he spends money on nice things! We eat really well but I would eat frozen vegetables.

Clarification: he spends other peoples' money on nice things. That's why he's in debt.

Also, how's the internet purchases budgeted, tuyop?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

ToeShoes posted:

To make it easy. I have a bunch of documents to find and I need to make sure I'm in shape. Plus gathering everything else I need to start basic.

You had to quit work to fill out documents? How loving pathetic are you?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Vomik posted:

Who gives a gently caress why she wanted to quit her job?

She quit her job to fill out paperwork (lol) and get in good health, however she won't quit smoking to get in good health. Quitting her job isn't about what she says it's about.

Secondly, it matters because her bad decisions, whilst not being critical to her financial situation, enable tuyop in justifying his terrible financial decisions to himself. Setting a good example and all that poo poo.

Artard is right: it's obvious why these two are a couple.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

As a complete dick, this all makes me feel very warm and fuzzy inside indeed.

On the other hand, in an effort to show at least some token compassion, at least you'll have learned your lesson in a relatively painless way (eg: not a 10 grand medical payment or something) and maybe you'll actually listen to us now.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

tuyop posted:

I'm participating in a game on marketwatch.com. Just because I'm poor as gently caress doesn't mean I can't have fun with Monopoly money on my off time. :colbert:

NFLX, TSL, and WYNN are up more than 6%. At what point should I sell? I'm thinking 10% or more but does that ever happen on the stock market?

This is such a hilariously bad idea and I cannot possibly wait for it to go badly.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

tuyop posted:

Don't you guys ever want something and then not buy it? That's me and this new iPhone. I was totally joking about actually buying it.

Yeh man, I totally understand the whole financial self control thing about wanting something then not buying it. Kinda like you and those holida... oh.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I could rag on you about emergency funds and all that but gently caress it, now's not the time.

I hope you get better soon, mate. I know I'm a tough critic at times but I really do want to see you pull through. Hope you get better soon. As Zeta said, falling behind on anythign is a distant secondary to your health so concentrate on getting yourself fixed up in the short term then we can work through the consequences after.

Stay strong, buddy!

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

tuyop posted:

I got audited. Somehow I owe 212 from the last two tax years. CRA wants this by the 28th. It's brutal because I don't know when or if I'm getting that extra money, I still haven't gotten paid from loving August for my field time.

Easy, your emergency fu--

oh.

Hopefully by the end of a few months of fuckups you'll finally warm to seeing why we say to do the things we say.

Also, binging yourself in to debt? Stay fuckin' classy, murder Tuyop.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 14, 2011

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

tuyop posted:

Actually I was going to build one. That thing is 100 bucks on kickstarter, but their site has pdf instructions on how to make one out of plastic bottles. The biggest cost is the air pump. I just really wanted to get some fresh chilies or something growing by my window.

That's what's called a 'luxury' and you can't afford it. You can go without freshly-grown chillies or whatever the gently caress for a year. Deal with it.

You Are Broke You Can Not Have Nice Things (TM).

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Badger Pudding posted:

That particular vacation cost $2400 for the flight, and $1300 for everything else if I remember correctly. And I fronted you the cash for it and you payed me back within the year. Just saying. :colbert:

Welp. As an insider, is he lying about other costs too?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Oh Tuyop, what have you done... :downsbravo:

Seriously, your dumbfuck arse didn't think this cunning plan through did it?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Tuyop, some recommendations:

1) Relevant experience should combine in to both skills and work experience. Either it's experience gained through a skill you've developed, or it's experience gained on a job. For example, in both relevant experience and skills, you state you can use MS Office.

2) 'skills' reads too vaguely (as does relevant experience). Don't use vague terms like 'a wide range of'. Use specifics. Eg: "Lead teams of 60 soldiers as an officer during multi-day training courses involving [x, y, z things that demonstrate needing leadership potential]".

3) Work experience is 1000x better if you can explain exactly what the results of your achievements were. Eg: for the first admin officer point, state quantitative measures of what those performance improvements yielded.

4) regarding points 2 and 3 above, I find the easiest way to get a hard-hitting point is to write it out in 4 sentences/dot points then cull it down. The 4 sentences/points are: Situation, Task, Action, Results (aka the 'STAR' process). This essentially defines the situation/problem faced, the task you were charged with as a result of that situation, the actions you took against that task and the results those actions produced. Doing so lays all the info out in front of you and from there you can then usually cull that down to an essential point that demonstrates that you took specific actions to resolve a problem and produced quantitative results that show a business improvement/achievement.

The other benefit of this approach is that it makes you recall the other details about those particulars so that come interview time when the interviewer goes 'yo, tell me more about this point', you have all the info right there on hand that answers what they are after. poo poo, print out the long-form of the answers you produced (in the same order as on your resume so you can quickly find the info) and take it with you to the interview so you have a cheat-sheet of the answers. Presto, perfect interview responses.

5) Your order seems odd. I've always put it in: contact details, education, work experience, other experience, skills, referees. I could understand possibly swapping education and work experience depending on their relative importance to the job you're after.

6) Minor thing, but referees (not references) are available on request. Referees are the people and they give references. Note also on this point that some people say to put them on but I disagree. If they're calling your referees, they've already basically choosing you so having to call you first won't really deter them. It also then gives the major advantage of letting you warn your referees to expect a call and gives you good info on how the process is going. Just make sure you're available to give them that info at a moment's notice in a professional and efficient manner. Write it down and shove it in your wallet or something. It'll help leave a good impression if you can whip it out at the shops rather than having to wait til you get home to call them back.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 30, 2012

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Fair enough. I'm AU so we'd follow the UK convention.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I list it for the above reasons, but also because it's a load less room to type 1 line like that than to type out the referees themselves. This space can then be used for a few more lines earlier on to explain work experience.

As I said, it's probably the most minor point on the resume.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Hey how often are you going to see ToeShoes now that you're out?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

ufsteph posted:

I grew up in America, but live in the UK and have worked in an international industry for more than 8 years. In my industry one page is standard.

Then again, you know everything and have declared me wrong, so there we are.
Two pages + cover letter is the standard here in Australia - some industries might want one but they'd be the exception and I've not heard of any :ssh:

Edit: the above is right - the number of pages argument is really just a byproduct of the level of brevity that should be aimed for, assuming you have normal levels of experience/info that you should include.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

tuyop posted:

Yeah, well I guess there's no accounting for stupidity. :)

The thing is, we tried to account for your stupidity but you wouldn't let us.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

You are institutionally incapable of making sound decisions or taking responsibility for your actions.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

tuyop posted:

I'm running low on vices so I needed to fall back on something!
No you don't. Your stupid parents just failed at raising you and produced an entitled brat. Your broke arse doesn't deserve poo poo, the least of all vices.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Dogfish posted:

We eat really well on $300-$350 a month, and that includes my stupidly expensive gluten-free pasta, bread, etc. (I have celiac disease, not imagined-gluten-allergy-itis, for the record.

Get hookworm. No, seriously. It'd save you money on all this special gluten-free stuff :v:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Also half of the test subjects who actually got the hookworm (rather than placebo) had "transiently painful enteritis" so that sounds great.

You're right, I should've read that particular link more thoroughly. NCBI seems to be a far more complete article on the study, and reports that:

quote:

Increased levels of CD4+CD25+Foxp3+ cells in the circulation and mucosa are associated with active celiac disease. We show that this accumulation also occurs during a short-term (1 week) oral gluten challenge, and that hookworm infection suppressed the increase of circulating CD4+CD25+Foxp3+ cells during this challenge period.

My understanding of the trial results is that although the patients experienced no significant suppression of pathology (that is, they still had writhing pains in their guts after eating 4 slices of bread a day), it is thought that this is due to the volume of gluten and low number of hookworms (15 total). Although pathological response was not affected, the underlying T cell production was and that's what the trial was primarily shooting for. It's also telling that not one of the patients had their hookworm removed at the end of the trial despite that enteritis.

So yes, I was joking in that it's not a simple solution but the null result in pathology doesn't adequately describe the changes that were detected during the trial. Who knows - although the hookworms themselves aren't powerful enough, the underlying phenomenon driving the T cell changes might be usable in drug form.

Anyway, I need to shut up. Sorry about the derail :shobon:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

tuyop posted:

It's a very flexible arrangement and I'm sure he can let the rent slip for a couple of months if I really need it.

Enjoy ruining that friendship.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

tuyop posted:

Well I don't think we really need to get into it, but read what actually happened to me. The taxes are my fault but aren't a big deal, but this loving accommodations debacle has nothing to do with me.

Bullshit. You need to take responsibility for your own situation. Your back being injured doesn't automatically mean you're out of a house - there's a whole heap of enabling decisions that contributed to that also, many of which you made.

The sooner you take full responsibility for what happened, the sooner you're in the right mindframe to fix it.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Cuddlebottom posted:

Can't you just spend $20 on a pair of slippers and a sweater? 16° C/61° F seems like a pretty reasonable winter temperature for a house.
That sounds like 'wear a jumper and some shorts' weather, honestly. Do this.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Tuyop, the best investment you can possibly make is to employ someone to follow you around 24/7 and hit you across the head with a bat whenever you think of poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

If you could sell bad ideas you'd be a millionaire, tuyop

• Locked thread