Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

How an investing neophyte thinks:
"Wow! Look at this fund's performance! The last few years its been up up up! I should buy some today!"

How a smart investor thinks:
"Wow! Look at how expensive this fund has gotten! It's clearly overdue for a big downward correction! I should sell all my shares while the price is high and go look for a bargain elsewhere"

This is of course a massive oversimplification. But the fundamental premise, "buy low sell high," should always be in one's mind when investing.

Reading your posts is strange, because you clearly have done some minimal amount of reading on finance (mutual funds are bad, stocks are broadly random and top performers are generally a product of randomness rather than underlying skill), but then you spout drivel about 'downward corrections' and 'buy low sell high' which shows that you really don't understand anything at all...

tuyop posted:

Alright, I put my 610 dollars from my TFSA into a Canadian Index mutual fund with TD. It has an 80/20 equity and principal split. Over the past year it's had a 10% return. I went high risk on the whole thing because I've been treating that TFSA as a last ditch emergency fund and haven't touched it at all this whole time, but it's really part of my emergency fund.

There is almost zero year-to-year correlation (in terms of performance relative to competing products) for mutual funds.

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

bam thwok posted:

I found it pretty astute. When a smart investor sees an asset beating the poo poo out of the market, he should take his money and run since he knows that there is no such thing as long-run above market returns.

Leaving aside for a second the fact that this is obviously false (see e.g. Berkshire Hathaway or Renaissance Technologies), the idea that there is an active force causing excellent performing products over some time interval to underperform the market mean over the next time interval of the same length (i.e., a downward correction) is just absurd. That is not how mean reversion works and it is completely different than the assertion that year-to-year rankings of products like mutual funds are essentially uncorrelated (you are arguing that there is a clear negative correlation which is not borne out at all by data).

While markets are certainly not as efficient as theory of finance textbooks would like to pretend, you and leperflesh are arguing that markets are noticeably inefficient in a very simple way, which brings up the obvious question of why you and he (and presumably all the other people smart enough to notice this 'phenomenon') are not multimillionaires from shorting successful companies.

bam thwok posted:

And "Buy low sell high" is the only way (aside from dividends) to make money on an investment, unless I've missed something?

For an individual investor without privileged information it is basically impossible to "time the market" and you should assume that information relevant to the expected future success or failure of a stock has already been priced in. A stock that is cheap or that has had a recent decline in value is not necessarily undervalued.

In the absence of specific data, it is still better to pick performers with a good track record than a bad track record. This is because while it is extremely difficult to come up with a strategy that beats the market in expectation over a lengthy time frame (or any time frame really), it is easy to come up with strategies that underperform the market (in particular, strategies absorbing excessive transaction costs or management fees).

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

bam thwok posted:

It's not absurd; I do believe that there is an active force that puts downward pressure on high performers, and it's called corporate complacency versus competition in free markets.

Anyone who bought Apple at $540 a share (which values an electronics company as more valuable than all of Poland) under the assumption that no one can possibly out-innovate them is going to feel pretty sore one of these days.

Unless you can quantify this theory in some meaningful way this is basically the narrative fallacy.

You could have said the exact same thing about Apple stock the first time it hit $340 or $440 and of course you would be obviously wrong. This theory has no predictive power and consequently is worthless. When Apple stock hit $400 in 2011 and then dropped to $350 there probably were pundits claiming that this price change was really indicative of some sort of fundamental flaw in management or an inevitable consequence of some larger macroeconomic trend and of course they were wrong.

bam thwok posted:

You can try to cloud the issue by smashing everything with your efficient market hypothesis hammer,

I don't believe that markets are efficient, although broadly I believe that from the perspective of an individual investor they may as well be. If you restrict your attention to standard investment vehicles that regular people invest in (like mutual funds or bonds or whatever) the market is essentially indistinguishable from an efficient one. Again, there is essentially zero correlation if one considers the year-to-year performance of individual members of a large set of funds. This is very well documented, but yet you are insisting that there is a noticeable negative correlation.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

tuyop posted:

Thank you, you guys are awesome.

Nah, you are. Congrats on turning your life around and becoming happy.

• Locked thread