Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Prequel

or

Making a Cat Cry: The Adventure

or

Everything is a Federal loving Issue and is Also Trying to Make You Miserable

Prequel mini-FAQ:

What is Prequel?

Prequel is a webcomic created by Kazerad on the MS Paint Adventures forums. It is set in the Elder Scrolls Universe created by Bethesda Softworks. Specifically, it is set before the game Oblivion, hence the title "Prequel".

Oh, great, so I have to know about this video game if I want to read the comic?

Not at all. The sum total of helpful information you should have before starting the comic: Khajiit are cat-people. Assuming you know that, you'll know as much about the plot of the game as the protagonist of this comic does. Having played the games lets you in on a few in-jokes, but apart from that it isn't necessary to enjoy the comic at all.

What is the comic about, then?

A down-on-her-luck catgirl who moves to a new country to try to start a new life. Her efforts are not always entirely successful, and watching her repeated failure is a source of entertainment to us, the audience. Because we are terrible people. Terrible people who like making a cat cry.

So... it's a furry comic?

Look, the Thundercats had cat-people in it, too. Was it a furry cartoon? Hobbes was a tiger; did you imagine that was a fursuit? Pogo was a possum, and when he met the enemy, was the enemy a furry? Yea, brothers, even Bugs Bunny is a talking rabbit that walks like a man. Will you call him a furry? Do you dare?

Why are the page titles so weird? Why does the main character keep talking to people with names like wetnap7589?

Prequel originated in the MS Paint Adventures "Adventure" subforum, where artists collaborate with posters to decide the course their stories will take. In this particular comic, the forum posters are represented as conflicting thoughts in the character's head.

Why does this need its own thread?

People had been discussing the comic in the MS Paint Adventures thread quite frequently, and eventually it was decided that giving it its own thread would reduce the chatter in that one. Hopefully this move will continue to keep the signal-to-noise ratio high for both comics.

Plus, every time it comes up in another thread these days it provokes horrifying arguments. This way is better.

Really, Mr. Peas? Really? A catgirl comic based on a video game from the MSPA forums? REALLY?

I know how it sounds! But it's actually pretty good. Seriously, just try it out for a few pages, it won't kill you. Unless you are allergic to HILARITY. In which case you should consult a physician; untreated allergies can be extremely dangerous. And you DEFINITELY shouldn't be reading Something Awful. Do you have a death wish, allergic reader? What is wrong with you?

OK, where are the links already?

If you'd like to give Prequel a try, you may find it here:

http://prequeladventure.com/

It is strongly recommended that you start at the beginning. If you'd like to submit a command, you may do so here:

http://www.mspaforums.com/showthread.php?51302

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~
If I were Hussie I'd be kind of annoyed that someone took my thing wholesale and dropped it on their cat-people video game comic. Does he have any thoughts about it?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

The Worst Unicorn posted:

If I were Hussie I'd be kind of annoyed that someone took my thing wholesale and dropped it on their cat-people video game comic. Does he have any thoughts about it?
There's an entire subforum on his forums for fan adventures, many of which directly rip off not only his format but his characters and plot.

I can't think he's bothered by it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

This is Hussie's official stance on Homestuck fan content:

quote:

I am humbled by your devotion. This is not any sort of platitude to be dismissed as quasi-sincere acceptance speech fodder, or a dispatch from my PR department because sometimes you guys give me money for stuff. This is sincerely true. I look around and still cannot quite believe the magnitude of the enthusiasm that surrounds this story. I stopped being able to keep track of all the fan art for it more than a year ago, and even then there were thousands of fan-made images I would diligently attempt to pore through. I have honestly never seen so much fan art created for anything, anywhere, ever. Even things which have millions of dollars backing their production budgets. Maybe Harry Potter has more? (Alright let's get real. HS fan art is probably just now beginning to approach the subset of drawings that involve Harry being naked with somebody.) Greater and greater hordes of troll cosplayers can be spotted taking over the floors of conventions. You could have pressed me on the subject, but I never would have guessed anyone could be quite so tickled to be slathered in messy gray makeup and crowned by a homemade pair of horns. There is this seething passion for HS that is a self-organizing, autonomous entity unto itself, which is practically inaccessible to my understanding or involvement, even though I'm responsible for the content driving it. I've kept Homestuck's fire hot; its gaping furnace was hungry for coal so I got goddamn shoveling. But you have been responsible for breathing life into this monstrous organism which surrounds me, and now in its breadth transcends my work entirely. To thank you as a whole for this phenomenon almost doesn't sound rational. It's like thanking a furious thunderstorm for the deluge of rain it gave to your thirsty little box of poseys. My paltry utterance dissipates in the far deep rumbling. The clouds don't even notice I'm there because they're too busy swapping fan fiction. Maybe instead I'll offer something more significant than gratitude. Something more personal and experiential. I'll submit my amazement. You can't see me now, but it is a look of wonder and discovery. A boyish look of astonishment at something remarkable beyond words, like a butterfly emerging from a cocoon, but on a more cosmic scale and more viscerally shocking. Like a squealing horrorterror's gruesome Cesarean birth. That is the look I have every time I disrupt the tunnel vision that keeps the work's bright sun searing my eyes. When they adjust to the dark, I see the silhouette in soft black focus of the young planet sized monster, chirping its affections. I offer it this look because it is all I have to give, with the exception of the tears streaming down my face. Its hunger is piqued at the fluid and my only regret is I can never possibly provide enough to nourish the orphan, now that it can never know the taste of its dead mother's heinous teatbrine.

Seems pretty comprehensive to me!

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~
It just seemed really unrelated as far as fan work goes, to me. But it also seems like he's quite okay with all that. :)

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

It just seemed really unrelated as far as fan work goes, to me. But it also seems like he's quite okay with all that. :)

It's not even fan work of Hussie's material

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I think that of all the things you could copy from MSPA, he'd care the least about copying the overall format.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

While Andrew Hussie is the reigning champ of forum based Paint adventures, it is a format that can be adopted for anybody's story. A lot of people do quests like these casually on various forums unrelated to mspaintadventures.com, but Prequel just happens to be of a higher quality than most adventures.

Hussie is also a friend of Epicsplosion (made by the guy who did the Strife! album artwork) which is a pretty cool adventure too. It's formatted like Bard Quest, except it's actually succeeding at its goal.

Spellman fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 29, 2011

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Spellman posted:

While Andrew Hussie is the reigning champ of forum based Paint adventures, it is a format that can be adopted for anybody's story. A lot of people do quests like these casually on various forums unrelated to mspaintadventures.com, but Prequel just happens to be of a higher quality than most adventures.

Hussie is also a friend of Epicsplosion (made by the guy who did the Strife! album artwork) which is a pretty cool adventure too. It's formatted like Bard Quest, except it's actually succeeding at its goal.

Hell there are even entire sites dedicated to choose your own adventure quests.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
I was skeptical at first and thought it would turn into some terrible furry sex garbage, but Prequel ended up being really entertaining and kind of endearing. Katia is a fun character and while her repeated fuckups early on are depressing, it gets less depressing as the comic goes on and she really starts turning her life around. There are also a lot of really funny moments. A Soldier Of The Imperial Legion (Asotil)'s introduction is my favourite part so far.

Also, it's not a furry comic at all. It just happens to take place in the Elder Scrolls setting, which happens to have catpeople as a playable species.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You didn't include the best of its alternate titles!

"Everything Is A Federal loving Issue And Is Also Trying To Make You Miserable."

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Compared to a lot of fan adventures, Prequel's art is really good too. Varying between normal, comedic and serious really effectively.

Plus, after the first few pages, you can't not feel bad about the main character. :smith:

I haven't checked on the site, but how does it present the attack of the nightmare demon king creature from hell?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Radio Paranoia posted:

Compared to a lot of fan adventures, Prequel's art is really good too. Varying between normal, comedic and serious really effectively.

Plus, after the first few pages, you can't not feel bad about the main character. :smith:

I haven't checked on the site, but how does it present the attack of the nightmare demon king creature from hell?

Instead of hiding in the normal spoiler box, it hides in the other commands used box.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

You didn't include the best of its alternate titles!

"Everything Is A Federal loving Issue And Is Also Trying To Make You Miserable."

Well, we can't have that, can we? Fixed!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have to say this is by far my favorite part:

quote:

quote:

“Anyway, you are not bisexual”. You sure about that? Maybe this weird Khajiit in Hammerfell wasn’t bisexual, but you’re Katia Managan now. Take a close look at her spread out like she is and reconsider.

It's just the most perfect "what the hell" face.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's nice to know that the creator is stubbornly refusing people's attempts to make it creepy.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Has the author done other webcomics or something? This is some quality stuff so I'm assuming it's not his first.

Also, I haven't played any Elder Scrolls games, are there a lot of fire spells for our cat hero to learn? I thought it was mostly a game about swords and exploration.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

PlesantDilemma posted:

Also, I haven't played any Elder Scrolls games, are there a lot of fire spells for our cat hero to learn? I thought it was mostly a game about swords and exploration.

The Elder Scrolls game featured here allows you to create your own spells from base components, so yes.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

PlesantDilemma posted:

You can play a mage just as viably as you can a warrior, so there will be plenty of fire and other spells for her.

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
I gotta say, I only looked at this comic because I expected it to be amusingly terrible (catgirl + Oblivion fanfiction + MSPA forums almost drove me away), but its actually pretty charming and enjoyable. I'd encourage anyone else who might be on the fence about reading it to at least give it a glance.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Coach Sport posted:

I gotta say, I only looked at this comic because I expected it to be amusingly terrible (catgirl + Oblivion fanfiction + MSPA forums almost drove me away), but its actually pretty charming and enjoyable. I'd encourage anyone else who might be on the fence about reading it to at least give it a glance.

Charming is a perfect word to describe it.

SirSamVimes posted:

It's nice to know that the creator is stubbornly refusing people's attempts to make it creepy.

It's nice that he's not completely at the whim of the creeps -- as the author, he's able to pick and choose which comments to use as material.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

quote:

It's nice that he's not completely at the whim of the creeps -- as the author, he's able to pick and choose which comments to use as material.

He can also make Katia refuse to follow a command, or have her ignore it, or subvert it some other way--the commands are really just loose guidelines.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
One of the better ones I've seen. You just kind of want to give her a hug and tell her everything is going to be alright. Glad that this thread let me know about it; after the mspaint adventure forums migrated to whatever new system they have, it decides to mark everything as read after I leave the site and come back. I looked through the settings, and could not find a way to make it not do that.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I really like the focus on overcoming personal flaws as opposed to some overarching epic or even social drama. It's refreshing compared to what I'm used to seeing out of webcomics.
It's also really nice to see more competent takes at the text-adventure format. Andrew Hussie may be the most popular user of the form (and for good reason) but he didn't invent it and it's nice to see someone else come out from that shadow he's cast and do something a bit more original then just another mspa fan adventure.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

AriadneThread posted:

I really like the focus on overcoming personal flaws as opposed to some overarching epic or even social drama. It's refreshing compared to what I'm used to seeing out of webcomics.
It's also really nice to see more competent takes at the text-adventure format. Andrew Hussie may be the most popular user of the form (and for good reason) but he didn't invent it and it's nice to see someone else come out from that shadow he's cast and do something a bit more original then just another mspa fan adventure.

There are tons of competent text-adventure typed THINGS out there, Ruby Quest being one of the prime examples of such.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I think that it is planning some overarching epic storyline. I mean, where did the nightmares come from?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

I think that it is planning some overarching epic storyline. I mean, where did the nightmares come from?

Katia is probably the main character of Oblivion before the events of the game itself (hence the title). The nightmares have something to do with that, apparently, I dunno, I never played the game.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Oxxidation posted:

Katia is probably the main character of Oblivion before the events of the game itself (hence the title). The nightmares have something to do with that, apparently, I dunno, I never played the game.

Katia is an actual NPC in Oblivion.

It's called Prequel because it's a prequel to Oblivion as a whole based off of the surroundings of Katia's life.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Oxxidation posted:

Is it spoilers if it's in the introduction of the game? If so, don't mouseover:

The player character begins in a prison cell in Imperial City. The city is under attack, and the Emperor of Cyrodil saunters into your cell along with some of the elite guard because there just happens to be a secret passageway there. The King insists on taking you along, because he's seen you in his dreams and knows you will save everything from the invasion from Oblivion.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 30, 2011

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kgummy posted:

One of the better ones I've seen. You just kind of want to give her a hug and tell her everything is going to be alright.

You could tell her that, but it'd be a horrible lie. Why would you lie to her?!

Also, Katia + Pyromancy + GET TO KVATCH + The condition of Kvatch in the game... hahahah!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

pandaK posted:

Katia is an actual NPC in Oblivion.

It's called Prequel because it's a prequel to Oblivion as a whole based off of the surroundings of Katia's life.

There are actual NPC's in the comic, I know that much, but after a quick Google and Oblivion wiki search it doesn't look like Katia's one of them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Awww mudcrabs. Murder them!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Right now we don't know enough to say whether the main story of Oblivion would have Katia as an NPC, as the main character, or as part of the opposition. Right now all three are possible, although "random NPC" has received a huge blow due to Katia being born under the sign of the Atronach. Not everyone in the Elder Scrolls universe has a special birthsign.

I suspect she's supposed to be the Hero of Oblivion, but take a look at the very first update - she talks about not getting involved in any more cults. A cult is a main part of the opposition in Oblivion... so of course the joke should be that she's going to be "involved" because she'll be fighting them, or it could be that one path for her is joining them. It may be that the commands she receives will help decide which way things go.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Of course, if she IS the Hero of Oblivion, she's going to need to get arrested and thrown in the Imperial Prison at some point.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
Well, Katia is certainly learning her pyromancy quickly. Let's see how she fares against those mudcrabs. (awful creatures)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I recommend that she learn boxing against mudcrabs, the same way I did. Just slap the drat things until you get better.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
This comic is way better than I was expecting. The early parts were kind of hard to read because it was more sad and familiar than sad and funny in a way.

That said, Asotil is literally the greatest thing.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

This comic is way better than I was expecting. The early parts were kind of hard to read because it was more sad and familiar than sad and funny in a way.

That said, Asotil is literally the greatest thing.

I'll admit, everything turned around at Countass' dinner. Just when you think Katia is about to fall even lower, Asotil busts in the most epic way possible.

Also, I love the answer, to his own question, "How do you think I became part of the Imperial Guard the most elite and selective fighting force in all of Cyrodill?"

"Drugs."

"Oh, and practice"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Young Freud posted:

I'll admit, everything turned around at Countass' dinner. Just when you think Katia is about to fall even lower, Asotil busts in the most epic way possible.

Also, I love the answer, to his own question, "How do you think I became part of the Imperial Guard the most elite and selective fighting force in all of Cyrodill?"

"Drugs."

"Oh, and practice"

This is indeed the exact line that sold me on him. More than the other stuff anyway.

That and

"It rained last night, so he suspects he will have to redraw the horse’s angry eyebrows."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
The only thing I'm afraid of is that Asotil will accidentally die sometime later in the adventure, and Katia will be blamed for it, and end up in the Imperial Jail.

• Locked thread