Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kgummy posted:

The only thing I'm afraid of is that Asotil will accidentally die sometime later in the adventure, and Katia will be blamed for it, and end up in the Imperial Jail.

Another good thing about this adventure is that it could theoretically end whenever it wants, if Katia is meant to be the Oblivion PC. She just has to get thrown in jail when Kazerad figures it's a good point to stop. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

Pollyanna posted:

Another good thing about this adventure is that it could theoretically end whenever it wants, if Katia is meant to be the Oblivion PC. She just has to get thrown in jail when Kazerad figures it's a good point to stop. :v:

And if he decides to pick it up again, she can just use that lockpick she has on her. Gross.

Also, knowing the events of oblivion really helps one enjoy this comic more. For example, no one who hasn't played it will really know why everyone get's all weird when people talk about Kavatch.

VVV ok. The reason people get weird about Kavatch is probably because it has been destroyed in the Oblivion invasion. This cycles the rumor mill often at the beginning of the game, so supposedly it happened just before that.

Vinigre fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 31, 2011

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Mind spoilering it for someone who doesn't know said events?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm only at the beginning of Oblivion, around Weynan Priory, but I don't think I've heard about the Kvatch thing either. :confused: Maybe I'm not far enough.

edit: Oh.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kgummy posted:

The only thing I'm afraid of is that Asotil will accidentally die sometime later in the adventure, and Katia will be blamed for it, and end up in the Imperial Jail.

I suspect that Gro-upp will kill him, which makes me afraid as well.

And I like both of them, all though Gro-upp is a bit of a jerk.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Kgummy posted:

There's no way Katia is going to get thrown in jail for killing him unless she royally fucks things up. Mainly because the Countess hates Asotil so much Katia would get something like a medal for killing him.

(Of course I just got through the dinner party, so I'm only playing off the information I know and things could be different at this point)

I'm glad this thread exists, because it finally got me to actually read Prequel. It's a whole lot better than I first expected.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Kvatch doesn't burn down until you get a little ways through the plot in Oblivion. It's still intact at the start of the game and iirc you can even go there.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
Guys she already said she wants a drink once and now she's away from adult supervision. Is Oblivion like a lot of RPGs where you can find the oddest loot on monsters? Please say they can't carry wine :(

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Shavnir posted:

Guys she already said she wants a drink once and now she's away from adult supervision. Is Oblivion like a lot of RPGs where you can find the oddest loot on monsters? Please say they can't carry wine :(
Only if they're merchant mudcrabs. :v:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Android Blues posted:

Kvatch doesn't burn down until you get a little ways through the plot in Oblivion. It's still intact at the start of the game and iirc you can even go there.

Really? I thought that you're prevented from that somehow.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nope, it's always a flaming ruin

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Volmarias posted:

Really? I thought that you're prevented from that somehow.

It exists before the king is killed, but you're in prison.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
I just read through the entire series over the past few days. Now I realize the pace of the story isn't going to hold my interest for long, so maybe I'll come back to it in 3 months or so. If I remember.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Android Blues posted:

I think if you go there before the main quest sends you there, it's blocked off and guards say there's some weird poo poo going on so you can't enter. There's a mod where you can participate in rebuilding it after the end of the main quest, though.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I read this at work, actually enjoyed it a lot more than the actual game. The art is great and it's funny as hell. Couple things really bugged me, though, to the point where I didn't really bother to go back and read it past the point I left off:

1. The way he plays the sexuality. He has the character's clothes fall off every 10 panels and makes innuendos every 2 or 3, and then acts all superior and squicked out when the thread gets people saying "she's hot!! have her gently caress so-and-so!!" And then draws some more lizards in panties. YUP ALL PART OF THE STORY

2. 95% of the time, the character is really cute and likable and sympathetic, but then out of nowhere there's these super conservative/misogynistic shots. "If only you hadn't had too much to drink, you wouldn't be such a slut! You might even still be a virgin! It's your fault you got raped by an orc!" It's like holy poo poo dude. Slow your roll.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I kind of thought that was the character's self-loathing being expressed hyperbolically through internal monologue.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Haledjian posted:

I read this at work, actually enjoyed it a lot more than the actual game. The art is great and it's funny as hell. Couple things really bugged me, though, to the point where I didn't really bother to go back and read it past the point I left off:

1. The way he plays the sexuality. He has the character's clothes fall off every 10 panels and makes innuendos every 2 or 3, and then acts all superior and squicked out when the thread gets people saying "she's hot!! have her gently caress so-and-so!!" And then draws some more lizards in panties. YUP ALL PART OF THE STORY

2. 95% of the time, the character is really cute and likable and sympathetic, but then out of nowhere there's these super conservative/misogynistic shots. "If only you hadn't had too much to drink, you wouldn't be such a slut! You might even still be a virgin! It's your fault you got raped by an orc!" It's like holy poo poo dude. Slow your roll.

I dunno, I think those clothes off moments were more about comedy than sexuality. And even if he was going for innuendo it's kind of a big leap to go from there to lesbian interspecies sex. Either way I got the feeling that he set those situations up just so that he could go "haha psych she's not at all interested in other girls."

I see that as being more anti-alcoholic than misogyny, since she does things that are bad regardless of gender while drunk. Blacking out and having sex with a skeleton isn't really acceptable whether a man or woman. And I don't think that was rape or anything, just more of the aforementioned bad decisions. Still, I'm not really sure if we're supposed to take his voice as her own conscience or what. That's the way I've read it, anyway.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Phylodox posted:

I kind of thought that was the character's self-loathing being expressed hyperbolically through internal monologue.
That's what I really wanted to think, but then I saw the blurb on the MSPA mirror site was something like "the adventures of a dumb Khajit slut" and I was like :smith:

Zenzirouj posted:

I see that as being more anti-alcoholic than misogyny, since she does things that are bad regardless of gender while drunk. Blacking out and having sex with a skeleton isn't really acceptable whether a man or woman. And I don't think that was rape or anything, just more of the aforementioned bad decisions. Still, I'm not really sure if we're supposed to take his voice as her own conscience or what. That's the way I've read it, anyway.
Well, here's the thing: the stuff she does when she gets drunk IS bad. But it's bad because she loses her own dignity and ability to make decisions, whereas the author seems to think it's bad because she's having sex with people. This is kind of reinforced throughout the story--the narrator calls her a dumb slut/whore, it's implied that if she made good decisions she would "still be a virgin" (also referring to her as a grown woman elsewhere in the story), not to mention responds to a suggestion that she sleep with the lizard by implying that sexual relationships can't meaningful.

It just feels like, to the author, she can either be a virgin or a whore. I mean, as Phylodox pointed out, the reliability of the narrator is kind of vague, and it's possible that all this stuff is representational of her own psychological hangups, and that she'll eventually learn that her own sex drive shouldn't be a source of shame. It's possible. It would be pretty impressive for a webcommic. But so far I don't think we've seen anything to suggest that's gonna happen.

edit: also yeah unless the orc dude and necromancer dude were also drunk out of their minds (which isn't implied so far as I can see) they could be convicted of rape if they lived in America!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I got the impression that she was the narrator, or that the narrator was relaying her thoughts, not their own. I mean, one of the main themes of the story is how much of a failure she thinks she is and how much she hates herself.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I got the impression that she was the narrator, or that the narrator was relaying her thoughts, not their own. I mean, one of the main themes of the story is how much of a failure she thinks she is and how much she hates herself.

Pretty much. The narration is basically first-person with the pronouns mixed up.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Oxxidation posted:

Pretty much. The narration is basically first-person with the pronouns mixed up.

I think it's an example of the rare second person perspective.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Phylodox posted:

Oxxidation posted:

She's definitely the narrator! And I agree, the narration's definitely used to communicate how she feels about herself. BUT the narration is also used by the author to frame the goals she's supposed to be focusing on, and there's nothing in the story so far that indicates "stop being such a slut" is intended to be a bad goal. The fact that the author uses the same demeaning language in the explicitly third-person story blurb kind of reinforces the idea that it's not.

Haledjian posted:

I mean, as Phylodox pointed out, the reliability of the narrator is kind of vague, and it's possible that all this stuff is representational of her own psychological hangups, and that she'll eventually learn that her own sex drive shouldn't be a source of shame. It's possible. It would be pretty impressive for a webcommic. But so far I don't think we've seen anything to suggest that's gonna happen.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Do you mean "Oblivion fanfiction about a slutty alcoholic cat"?

It's a bit crude, but I think it's just a silly description. We could go into a huge discussion about devaluing words and patriarchy and double standards, but I think it might be reading a bit too much into it.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Phylodox posted:

I think it's an example of the rare second person perspective.

You know the only reason I ever remember second person perspective is because it was specifically used in the old choose your own adventure books. Given its a choose your own adventure style comic I think second person is probably accurate.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Phylodox posted:

We could go into a huge discussion about devaluing words and patriarchy and double standards, but I think it might be reading a bit too much into it.

This. I think it's a little early for this thread to degenerate into something like this. It's a fun silly comic about a catgirl learning magic and turning her life around and meeting people far stranger than her.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Zenzirouj posted:

I dunno, I think those clothes off moments were more about comedy than sexuality. And even if he was going for innuendo it's kind of a big leap to go from there to lesbian interspecies sex. Either way I got the feeling that he set those situations up just so that he could go "haha psych she's not at all interested in other girls."

- Webcomic on internet about some dude comes to a point where it is explicitly stated that the dude's male friend is gay. Audience response: "Oh, uh, well, good luck with that."

- Webcomic on internet about some lady comes to a point where it is explicitly stated that the lady's female friend is gay. Audience response: "gently caress HER IN THE EAR AND DRAW GRAPHIC PICTURES"

I don't think the issue is with the author. I think the issue is with the readership.

Re the virgin thing, I think he's implying that alcohol turned her life down a pretty lovely path and she would probably be looking for a soulmate instead of a one night stand at this point. I don't think it's implying that she's either chaste or she's a slut.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 1, 2011

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Phylodox posted:

Do you mean "Oblivion fanfiction about a slutty alcoholic cat"?

It's a bit crude, but I think it's just a silly description. We could go into a huge discussion about devaluing words and patriarchy and double standards, but I think it might be reading a bit too much into it.
It's not any individual thing, though. If you just look at the description you can shrug it off as "just a silly description," and if you just look at the language in the comic itself you can say "maybe it's her own self-loathing, not what the author thinks." But looking at both of them, together, seems to tell a different story.

Fudge Handsome posted:

This. I think it's a little early for this thread to degenerate into something like this. It's a fun silly comic about a catgirl learning magic and turning her life around and meeting people far stranger than her.
I don't think it's a degeneration, as long as people post respectfully & in good faith. I was glad to see a thread on this here because I knew the MSPA people would just be like "shut the gently caress up human being"

It's a fun, silly comic that I really like but which every 25 pages punches me in the face with some really nasty poo poo. If it was just irredeemably awful like Cerebus or something I wouldn't even want to bother talking about it.

Volmarias posted:

- Webcomic on internet about some dude comes to a point where it is explicitly stated that the dude's male friend is gay. Audience response: "Oh, uh, well, good luck with that."

- Webcomic on internet about some lady comes to a point where it is explicitly stated that the lady's female friend is gay. Audience response: "gently caress HER IN THE EAR AND DRAW GRAPHIC PICTURES"

I don't think the issue is with the author. I think the issue is with the readership.
Oh yeah I'm not saying some of those guys aren't awful. I do think the author is leading them on a little more than he admits though. eg "Can I stay at your house?" "Well okay but we will have to sleep together because there is one bed and for some reason you can't sleep on the floor. Also I normally sleep in my underwear, which I will do again now even though you are sleeping in the bed next to me and for some reason I can't make an exception." "Ok!" "PS I'm gay" :stare:

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 1, 2011

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Haledjian posted:

Oh yeah I'm not saying some of those guys aren't awful. I do think the author is leading them on a little more than he admits though. eg "Can I stay at your house?" "Well okay but we will have to sleep together because there is one bed and for some reason you can't sleep on the floor. Also I normally sleep in my underwear, which I will do again now even though you are sleeping in the bed next to me and for some reason I can't make an exception." "Ok!" "PS I'm gay" :stare:

Floor is cold, whatsherface doesn't want to kick out katja but knows that staying in the same bed will be awkward, tries to get her to just GO without being a jerk.

Kind of like if a hot mess of a hot girl wants to spend the night with you, and you have one bed. And no floor. And god you hope you don't get a boner because that would just lead her on and you really don't want that.

Honestly, none of these motives don't make sense, although some are a bit contrived for humorous purposes.

OTOH we're seriously analyzing the motives of a loving webcomic pandering to the worst of internet nerds.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Cyrodil has yet to know the wonders of the air mattress.

EvilKosh
Oct 23, 2000

If they saw my face, could I still take a bow? Will they know me, NOMI, know me, now?
Toss some ponies and Portal references into this. If you're going to attempt to make the dumbest thing ever created you might as well go the distance.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Haledjian posted:

I don't think it's a degeneration, as long as people post respectfully & in good faith.

I agree! These are really interesting opinions I haven't seen pop up elsewhere online. I want to throw in my two cents though:

Like a few others have already said, the narration is intended to be from Katia's point of view. There is a lot of subtext in what she says, and it is intentional. It does not necessarily represent my views.

Among other things, Katia is definitely somewhat misogynistic. She's someone who has been called a worthless whore so often that she has accepted it as truth. She, her goals, and the demeaning language she uses to describe herself have all been shaped by years of people speaking down to her.

Her comments about sexuality are also in her voice, not mine. A recurring aspect to her character is that - despite her promiscuity - she never talks positively about her sexual experiences (or sexuality in general). Take the following line for example:

quote:

Without the nightmares [...] You never would have become an alcoholic. You wouldn’t have to live off other peoples’ charity. You’d probably still be a virgin, too.
This isn't meant to be me making a statement about sexuality. It's Katia saying that if things had gone her way she probably never would have pursued relationships, despite being a grown woman (and apparently an attractive one, according to furries?).

As for the places where I called the story "slutcat adventures" or described it as "oblivion fanfiction about a slutty alcoholic cat", that was partly in jest and partly as a tactical move. I admit I try to misrepresent the story when describing it. Depression/alcoholism are relatively mature topics to handle, and if readers enter the story expecting me to handle those tactfully, they're probably going to be disappointed and a little offended. When they go in expecting Slutcat Adventures, their preconceptions are exactly what I want them to be. I've found that if you can set a low expectation from the get-go, exceeding it is easy.

Anyway, hopefully that clears some things up. I can definitely understand why you would assume Katia's voice was my own. I mean, I've read books where I thought "wow, this author is great at writing from a highschooler's perspective" before checking out their other work and realizing they just wrote like a lovely highschooler. The best I can say is to rest assured that I recognize and have control over the subtext in my characters' statements. At the very least, rest assured that I am not a horrible person! (though Katia may be?)

Haledjian posted:

Oh, I lead them on. I lead those guys on like you wouldn't believe.

I've been commended before for mimicing MSPA's "sprit", and I think big part of that is trolling readers. If you can lead them on and then piss them off, they like your story more for some reason. At least MSPA people do.

EvilKosh posted:

Toss some ponies and Portal references into this. If you're going to attempt to make the dumbest thing ever created you might as well go the distance.

I do admit I try to take the worst ideas and make them work anyway. If I succeed, it means I win. I might try pony/portal crossover fanfiction next, I'm not sure.

Volmarias posted:

OTOH we're seriously analyzing the motives of a loving webcomic pandering to the worst of internet nerds.
You think that's weird, I just paid ten dollars to explain a cat's views on having sex. That's like the second weirdest thing I've ever paid ten dollars to do.

And yeah, I read pretty much every Prequel discussion on the internet.

EvilKosh
Oct 23, 2000

If they saw my face, could I still take a bow? Will they know me, NOMI, know me, now?

Kazerad posted:

I do admit I try to take the worst ideas and make them work anyway. If I succeed, it means I win. I might try pony/portal crossover fanfiction next, I'm not sure.

I'm not sure what you win or what your definition of winning is, but good luck with that I guess? I'm just going to laugh at you, and that will be it.

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

EvilKosh posted:

I'm not sure what you win or what your definition of winning is, but good luck with that I guess? I'm just going to laugh at you, and that will be it.

Wow, what's your problem?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Tardstar posted:

Every thread needs it's own luckyellow. :smith:

Thanks for dropping in, Kazerad. It's always great to hear an author respond to people's criticism/praise of their work, plus it's even better if they can fit in and make the thread fun!

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Radio Paranoia posted:

It's always great to hear an author respond to people's criticism/praise of their work, plus it's even better if they can fit in and make the thread fun!

If you really wanted to talk to the author, there's actually an official suggestion/discussion thread on the MSPA Forums. I hear you don't even have to pay ten dollars to register there.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Chwoka posted:

If you really wanted to talk to the author, there's actually an official suggestion/discussion thread on the MSPA Forums. I hear you don't even have to pay ten dollars to register there.

That's kind of a weird thing to say in response to someone thanking the author for posting here. I mean I get that people sometimes go overboard with the whole "hey can we get _______ an account?!" thing but Kazerad just sort of showed up and made some good points in response to the conversation that was going on? Nothing terribly strange about that, really.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Tardstar posted:

He just doesn't think I can do it. He doesn't think I can pull off My Little Portal.

Radio Paranoia posted:

Thanks for dropping in, Kazerad. It's always great to hear an author respond to people's criticism/praise of their work, plus it's even better if they can fit in and make the thread fun!
You're very welcome! Likewise, watching Prequel discussions across various forums has been one of the most fun and informative parts of this endeavor.

In particular, it's neat reading the assumptions people make about me. Apparently, a lot of people assume I am female from my writing? At least one person genuinely thought I was a recovering alcoholic writing from experience (!!!). The common assumption seems to be that I'm putting more of myself into these characters than I actually am. I guess if people think I'm writing from experience, it's kind of an unintentional compliment?

Kazerad fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 1, 2011

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Zenzirouj posted:

Blacking out and having sex with a skeleton isn't really acceptable whether a man or woman.

get this anti-skeleton bigotry out of here

Kazerad posted:

My Little Portal

:golfclap:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

EvilKosh posted:

I give this guy like maybe

Three popped collars out of five.

On the "Heh"ometer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Oh hey, it's the Kaz. Love your work on the MSPA forums, man. I poked around a bit for the Nestbound stuff (my art never got any better) and am really enjoying Prequel - why, I mistook you for an actual cat writing from your personal experience with racist feline puns.

• Locked thread