Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
One of the better ones I've seen. You just kind of want to give her a hug and tell her everything is going to be alright. Glad that this thread let me know about it; after the mspaint adventure forums migrated to whatever new system they have, it decides to mark everything as read after I leave the site and come back. I looked through the settings, and could not find a way to make it not do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
The only thing I'm afraid of is that Asotil will accidentally die sometime later in the adventure, and Katia will be blamed for it, and end up in the Imperial Jail.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Mind spoilering it for someone who doesn't know said events?

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Shame that didn't really happen, though.
(I still think the MSPA forums are rather bad, insofar as it marks everything as read if you leave and come back. I don't want to read every single thread at once, board!)

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Walliard posted:

Uhh, it shouldn't do that. Do you have an account?
Yes. It started happening once they did the migration to the new boards.

As for the fact of taking Hussie's art style... It's kind of a trend for adventures in the MSPA forums to have that style. Of course, not all of them do, but still.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Dmitri should mention better value in the chest he has. Gro-upp gets undead cat'd.

Though I really hope that Katia and Asotil happen to be walking by, due to the changed schedule. (Though it probably isn't in effect right now)

If only Dmitri didn't put the diamond on the ring.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Haledjian posted:

I think you're doing more than just edging the story--you created Dmitri, his cats, his possessions, you introduced Landorumil, then brought Gro-upp into the scenario. You also get to pick and choose which reader suggestions to incorporate, and decide what the results of those decisions are. You have like 90% of the control of the narrative here, and nobody can see the road markings except you.
This. Dmitri would presumably know why no one talks about Kvatch's Mages guild, or at least know that no one talks about it. Katia wouldn't, as she's new to the continent. But I guess the Necromancer's are really out of the loop?

Also, since Dmitri is in the necromancer's den, he could always be resurrected.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I did add a bit after that sentence, mentioning that the Necromancer's might have been out of the news, though. I realized that, as I was typing it up, there could have been something that we didn't know that we didn't know.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Clearly all someone has to do is make it a slow acting poison, that takes effect years later, when they saved over everything before taking the poisoned potion. And wonder why they keep dying at the same time.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Clearly the solution is, if a plush catgirl is ever made, hidden in the stuffing is a small sheet of paper. On that paper is a picture of Katia crying.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

RandomFerret posted:

That's because Sonic was created in japan, where a missing finger has a more loaded meaning. A lot of the times when a character created in the west gets a series or a video game or something over there, they'll add a finger. Wouldn't want Bob the Builder to look like a gangster!
It was also a thing making fun of the lower class, who worked in meat packing. It's fine if you pay them money, though.

It's why Abe from the Oddworld series (last question on the page) had a finger removed/cut from each hand (along with all Mudokons), in later copies of the first game along with the later games. Because two fingers missing wasn't a problem. The in game model, the one that players actually use, actually has four fingers on his hands, but the cutscenes had to be changed. I think now it isn't as much a problem, as the HD remakes add the finger back in, from what I read.

Though it's probably mainly a meat packing industry related thing, considering how the first game was pretty much about a meat industry. It's still interesting that it became 'less' offensive to have the characters lose fingers, than to have four fingered hands that were 'missing' fingers.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Did she cast some sort of spell that caused the whole town (and everyone that was in/near it at the time) to be enamored with her? Or perhaps it was a 'one at a time' kind of thing? Katia is probably going to get in trouble here. :ohdear:

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Sigrid outright admitted to have dabbled in necromancy. So, does she still dabble in it?

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Since Weaver's been brought up, Weaver actually has ended up homeless, or at least nearly homeless. As far as I can tell, it's being sorted out now. Sort of a depressing news to counteract the story being at a relatively non-depressive point.

Anyways, back on Prequel, at least now we know what the piles of treasure are for. And Sigrid apparently doesn't entirely enjoy the fact that most of the guild running costs is taken care of by donations. At least, if I'm reading that right.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I think it's more that he thinks she is being condescending, especially with how Katia phrased it. And he perceived it as mocking him. Sort of a "Hey, stop being afraid of your nightmares."

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Getting closer to the '70 seconds' thing. 75 seconds.

Though I've gotten REALLY close to catching him early on. Like Katia is within a few inches or so before the barrel and box leading to the first castle bit.

And 74 seconds. I think I can do it.

73 seconds. And I messed up at the end.

71 seconds. :negative:

SEVENTY SECONDS. I could probably get it just a few seconds shorter, but drat was that tight. Missing one jump ruins the entire run.

Kgummy fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 9, 2013

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Well I got really good; the places that I messed up cost me a total of a second or so.

I was able to jump on every single roof that priest guy does. And be on that last roof. Also jumping over several obstacles that you can barely clear when jumping off the roof. I lost about half a second on that grate hole. I was able to make it by not running into the wall before doubling back. It is possible to jump on the roof after that, and stay on the roofs for the rest of the run, though.

Katia is a master of jumping a half second after her feet stop touching anything, which really helps. I think it's nigh required to do so.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Ursine Asylum posted:

Yes, but I won't spoil it for you so you'll just have to bootstrap yourself to win it. :colbert:

I like what appears after you refresh that specific page. And the other one.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Since the link doesn't give any information without the cookie, here's the page you got after filling in your address.
Well, after refreshing it.

The other version gave a specific code related to your win, presumably in case an error message popped up. Well, a second chance to copy it down. Then it mentions 'My memory will be erased so I won't remember why you're here', hence the snippet on the page. Though it DID say something like 'if you made a typo in your address, too bad. Your punishment is having to beat the game again.'

Of course, you can still get to the 'victory page', in a way.

You won't get the 'golden shield amulet of protection Prequel promotional pin' though.

Wish I had saved a picture of what the pin looked like in the preview. Oh well, I'll get it soon enough. Kind of wonder how many there are, though.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
So I got my pin.

I don't know if it's on every one, but there's a drawing of Katia looking at it.

"Wow.

You must have played that mini-game like a hundred times."

And then on the other side of the pin:

"But hey!

You won a prize!!!"

And I only think it was fifty times, tops. :colbert:

... :negative:

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Kazerad posted:

Aha, thanks, finally got it. Notepad and Notepad++ couldn't seem to get rid of it, but copying the source from the misdisplayed page and pasting that into a file did it fine.
What you're looking for in Notepad++ is under the 'encoding' option on the menu.
"UTF-8 without BOM", rather than "UTF-8" selected on it. Or ANSI.

I'm not entirely sure what the difference between selecting 'encode' versus 'convert'. This page seems to explain it better than I could.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Volmarias posted:

You know, sometimes unicorns forget about the rider :(
And it's not a mistake he'll make twice.

So either that's how he died, or how his help got one of his descendants to die.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Well there is a 'previous' link all the way on the bottom. Which is at the top if you view the specific page, rather than the home page.

It might be possible to stick it at the top, instead of the bottom.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Kazy posted:

Update!

The mini game is bullshit, Katia keeps turning to face the dude just as the spell reaches me so it hits me instead of me blocking it :argh:
One of the dialog bits explains how to handle it: Charge into the spells, don't wait for him to move.

My best is 51 blocks. Though I wonder if there's special dialog if you don't get hit at all.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I'm trying to come up with something witty.

Something that's clever and mentions that there's an update.

Ah well, someone else can handle it.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Kazerad either that $900 stretch goal phrasing was poorly thought out, or it was an amazing bluff tactic to almost guarantee reaching that goal. And I'm not sure what you'd do for higher stretch goal rewards in that vein. More songs? Oblivion themed rewrites of the songs?

And the fact that the representative illustration of the ER visit had you feverishly imagining the lone doctor as a vampire totally normal human. Although that does bring to mind an idea for a world setting that has a majority of doctors secretly being vampires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Kazerad posted:

I admit I'm pretty surprised that people still bring up that post :saddowns:. Like, it was a crack at Dominic Deegan made in relatively poor taste more than three years ago. I think the joke is less clear today, now that everyone has forgotten about that comic and the time it legitimately tried to play off a protagonist as being morally justified in violently raping someone.

I am sorry for the post, for what it's worth. Like, even if DD did this stuff legit and deserved a little mockery, it was probably not a topic I should have joked about in such a cavalier manner.
I think it's more that text isn't really the best way to convey sarcasm. And less about people forgetting about what Dominic Deegan did. It kind of gives off the impression that the sole reason you humanized a character that did terrible things was to make the character likeable.

I've read writers of all kinds of fiction talking about how they have enough trouble having characters saying terrible things, and perceived as agreeing with those characters. Even if other characters say how horrible that character is being. So when when the intent is subtle, even less people are going to connect the dots.

• Locked thread