Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
I was skeptical at first and thought it would turn into some terrible furry sex garbage, but Prequel ended up being really entertaining and kind of endearing. Katia is a fun character and while her repeated fuckups early on are depressing, it gets less depressing as the comic goes on and she really starts turning her life around. There are also a lot of really funny moments. A Soldier Of The Imperial Legion (Asotil)'s introduction is my favourite part so far.

Also, it's not a furry comic at all. It just happens to take place in the Elder Scrolls setting, which happens to have catpeople as a playable species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Coach Sport posted:

I gotta say, I only looked at this comic because I expected it to be amusingly terrible (catgirl + Oblivion fanfiction + MSPA forums almost drove me away), but its actually pretty charming and enjoyable. I'd encourage anyone else who might be on the fence about reading it to at least give it a glance.

Charming is a perfect word to describe it.

SirSamVimes posted:

It's nice to know that the creator is stubbornly refusing people's attempts to make it creepy.

It's nice that he's not completely at the whim of the creeps -- as the author, he's able to pick and choose which comments to use as material.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
Well, Katia is certainly learning her pyromancy quickly. Let's see how she fares against those mudcrabs. (awful creatures)

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Phylodox posted:

We could go into a huge discussion about devaluing words and patriarchy and double standards, but I think it might be reading a bit too much into it.

This. I think it's a little early for this thread to degenerate into something like this. It's a fun silly comic about a catgirl learning magic and turning her life around and meeting people far stranger than her.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
Hey, welcome to SA, Kazerad. You don't seem like the type to get particularly upset over valid criticism or "I hate what you like / noooo stop liking things" type stuff so I don't think any warnings about some of the people here are necessary. :)

Kazerad posted:

Oh, I lead them on. I lead those guys on like you wouldn't believe.

I've been commended before for mimicing MSPA's "sprit", and I think big part of that is trolling readers. If you can lead them on and then piss them off, they like your story more for some reason. At least MSPA people do.

Being able to troll your readership seems like a pretty useful skill. Taking a setup in an unexpected direction is pleasantly surprising, because it shows you're generally not tempted to go for low-hanging fruit or blatantly pander to your fans.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Anti_Social posted:

I don't care if you have complaints about how 'original' Prequel is - all I know is it makes me laugh, I like it, and I look forward to some interesting character development.

And Kaz gets super bonus points for responding like a classy fella.

Echoing this sentiment. Regardless of any creative merit it may or may not have, it's definitely entertaining, and Kazerad gets bonus points for responding to criticism like an adult.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
That mudcrab had it coming. Filthy creature.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Humboldt squid posted:

Oblivion is underrated, but you really need to mod it to fix the leveling system. And mod it just for the hell of it, because the TESC games are ridiculously moddable, like so

I loving lost it when he started "swimming"

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
A necromancer engaging in fornication seems like it would violate some kind of tenet or scripture. I mean, they're all about death, right? And sex makes babies, right?

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Kazerad posted:

I abide by the notion that in general, all the characters should be recognizable by silhouette even if their heads were covered up.

Ironically, the game this is largely based off of (Oblivion) depicted only two body shapes in the entire world.

This is a great way to design characters and a lot of actual real professional artists use that design philosophy as well.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
Gro-Upp is a despicable person but I'm finding it really hard to hate him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
I still have this lingering feeling of dread in the back of my mind that everything is going to go completely wrong for Katia and the last page will end up with a great big middle finger directed at us, the readers. Every good thing that happens to her just makes me think that the Bad Thing that fucks it all up is going to be that much worse, that all the little good things are just build-up to this Big Awful Thing.

It's making it kind of difficult to read the comic and get invested in it. :smith:

• Locked thread