Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I honestly feel like railroading is the only thing that i making Katia do this. How the hell does she not think this will not fail? I mean, even if slaughterfish can't just jump out of the water (can they?), They could probably just yank her in by her hatchet.

Fortunately, even the most unlucky characters are usually immune from deaths this abrupt and stupid. And besides, she can't die because she has to learn a basic heal spell, go to the Greater Imperial City Area, and then get arrested and thrown that cell which is conveniently her own personal Room 101.

edit: Being bitten by the vampire chick might actually be smarter than this slaughterfish-axing plan, to be honest. Catching porphyric hemophilia is not guaranteed, and even if she did catch it she could A. miraculously get enough spare cash to buy a cure potion, or B. become a vampire and get some insider job offers from her new Vampire Coven friends.

Edit again: Kazerad, if you read this before you check your MSPAF inbox, I sent you a thing saying I'm pretty sure "absail" is actually spelled abseil. Also I sent a reply briefly apologizing for contributing minorly to the plague of stupid, spergy commands several months and what must be many suggestion threads ago.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Lysdexique posted:

:stare: Jesus christ, man. You can't criticize 'spergy commands after writing that post
To be fair, I edited twice to add stuff over the course of a few hours.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I was going to just post this on the update page, but it wasn't going through so I decided to post my question here, only for the comment to go through. So I guess I might as well quote my querie here in case I can get some insight on a joke that went over my head?

I posted:

I played, Oblivion but for whatever reason, I never got around to doing the Order of the Virtuous Blood quests.
So, can anybody who has done the quests help me out on the joke with the newspaper? I'm assuming that that's supposed to be a OotVB newspaper, but why would she have that? Like, did she find a copy somewhere and is reading it to know where they're planning some future vampire-busts or something?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Someone remind me, when an Oblivion vampire is at the baseline "just drank" stage, do their eyes actually become normal color again? The way I remember it, while you lack any traits horrible enough that townspeople would refuse to talk to you (like being emaciated and gaunt to the point that your facial structure resembles a chimp's), you still keep the red eyes, along with the slight paleness and fangs.

Also, I have a stupid question I just need to get a definitive answer on: Was Dmitri black/a Redguard?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Why is Nah pissed? Katia thanked her for saving her life and patching her up and stuff. Was she expecting Katia to offer her the chance to lick jelly off of her some more blood in gratitude?

That's just greedy, she already got to lap up her wounds. If she took any more, Katia would either A. die, making the first-aid pointless, or B. get infected, making more competition for her in the future.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

jng2058 posted:

It's because Nah believes in traditional medicine instead of potions and healing spells. So for Katia to not even acknowledge that the bandages are a good idea is an insult to Nah's medical sensibilities.

Ah. Also, I believe it may also have to do with Katia saying this:

Katia posted:

“For… wrapping me up in spongey tape, for some reason?”

which just rubs it in Nah's face that nobody even knows that bandages and gauze are anymore.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Factory Factory posted:

Oh my God...

Katia sets things on fire with a cat burn. Thematic.

She knocks things over with puns. She makes them do flop takes.

:ughh:

Once she gets a bit better at the telekinesis, she'll be able to punt things.

:rimshot:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Kaz, did you ever read the old Boxdog threads by Weaver (and I guess the comic? I never read the webcomic that comes up whenever you google Boxdog and honestly don't know whether Weaver did that too)?

Like Prequel, it featured a down-on-her-luck female protagonist with few skills, none of which are particularly profitable. However, it's significantly more depressing. This might be part of the reason why I've never really felt like Katia has ever really had it that bad.

Related to that, I recall you being asked this at some point but I forgot the answer, have you read anything by Weaver? Like, Ruby Quest or something?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Update.

Prequel posted:

Aaaaand she’s got a pitcher of melted cheese mixed with more cheese. She hasn’t come up with a name for that one yet.

She can call it...A POTION OF FIRE RESISTANCE!

Also, I've actually seen the real Ethnic Diversity Mural featured in Problem Sleuth, "The Potluck." Like, I was in Boston for a few days last year, and made it a point to pinpoint its location on google maps and find it. Totally worth it.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 10, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Who else just got a new desktop wallpaper?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Pakled posted:

Snollygoster posted:

I never played Oblivion. That burnt, discarded portrait you see in the walkaround: is that supposed to be an "old" version of Sigrid or is it another person entirely?
That's Archmage Traven, the leader of the Mages' Guild. He's an opponent of Necromancy and had it banned from the Guild. Each of the Mages' guild halls specializes in a particular field of magic. The Kvatch guild hall was never mentioned in the game, but Kazerad's having it focus on Necromancy, which isn't a bad assumption since all the other fields of magic are covered by the other guild halls. Necromancers have no love for Traven.

Traven was also the guy at the Anvil Guild who gave Katia the robes and amulet of silence. Apparently he was just stopping in to visit one of the guild's chapters that day.

Oh, and I think his portrayal as a spaz draws from the fairly common character interpretation that he's an idiot and a horrible leader.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Yeah he got replaced by an Orc who only knew only two spells and things were SO much better after that.

You probably wouldn't make things too much worse, since the PC is a decidedly hands-off Archmage, like he/she is with all the organizations he/she is in charge of.

You'd probably be very popular with the faculty, since you don't butt into their teaching (not that they EVER have time to talk to you, even when you're their loving boss), and only ever stop by the university to sleep in your room, or occasionally pick up a dew-eyed freshman to follow you around and die in a cave somewhere.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

radintorov posted:

Because we readers are, fundamentally, dicks. :v:
Also the set-up of the story is: she has a pretty hosed-up past and while she's running away from her previous life to make a new one, she still has some problems that will take a long time to solve (if ever), which leads to a very low self-esteem, thus making her more likely to take stupid decisions and screw up immensely.
Keep in mind that one of the inspirations was another MSPA-inspired comic that is supposedly pretty hosed up and waaaaaay more depressing that this has ever been. (I can't remember the name, nor have read it yet)

Sorry to only answer this 6 days later, but I'm pretty sure you're thinking about Weaver's Boxdog story. \I asked about it only a few pages back in this thread, and Kaz confirmed that he read it.

pandaK posted:

Also Ruby Quest wasn't hosed up in the sense that the main character continuously gets hosed over by circumstance. Also you should read it it's really good.

But Problem Sleuth was never depressing or hosed up in that sense.

I think I recall Weaver saying a while ago that Ruby Quest was made possible by Problem Sleuth+her crippling depression.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 31, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

woodenchicken posted:

Oh, hey, a Prequeladventure thread!
I first read about the comic on RPS, and from the description I expected it to be more of a Larry David-esque disaster-fest than it turned out to be. I'm guessing the outcry from people in the comments who threatened to stop reading unless bad things stopped happening to Katia started getting to the author after a while. But without the constant expectation of disaster all these sequences wouldn't have such tension. Although I'm hoping for less horrors of a sexual nature in the future. Like many people, I was bothered by the creepy borderline-rape stuff and slightly misogynistic attitudes shown on a couple of occasions (and the fact that almost nobody in comments seemed to notice them). Seeing that Kazerad is at least aware of this concern is a relief.
Anyway, the comic's pretty funny, the art is great and I'm liking all the multimedia and interactive poo poo thrown in for greater immersion. It's a pretty interesting format. Can't wait to find out what the king stuff is all about.

:allears:
Oh look another one!

Actually, I'm kind of confused. From what you're saying, I can't tell whether you are aware that Kazerad actively posts in this thread, and if you to check through the previous pages, you'll see that on many occasions Kaz has addressed and discussed the themes of misogyny and tragedy-driven narrative and all that stuff.

And I'm assuming you never played Oblivion, since you don't get what the King stuff is all about? (Well, actually we don't necessarily entirely know what it's all about, but we know what it's referring to and can guess the implications. But I won't spoil that here. )

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

McFrugal posted:

Weaver's a man, baby.

Yeah, okay. Whatever you say. :mmmsmug:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

frajaq posted:

I hope that little clannfear stick with us forever :3:

We better hope it's not worth any money then!

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Zenzirouj posted:

Well, this probably explains why Gro-Upp is so touchy about Sigrid. Maybe we'll end up with some kind of improbable team-up situation for a Sigrid beatdown (and/or murder, since this is Gro-Upp we're talking about)?

Unfortunately the murder thing is impossible, what with Sigrid's plot armor.
But I would personally be fine with Gro-Upp getting his appear on again.

Welp, she's naked again. Maybe she can score some new clothes from a generous soul. Like maybe some robes. Red ones. From that guy camping outside the gate.

Oh, and I feel like posting my comment from the site for whatever reason.

I posted:

Bravo, Kazerad. Bravo.

I was expecting some truly epic dream-crushing with this update, but you've really outdone yourself. I thought it couldn't get any better when Katia gave Sigrid her robes, putting her back to square-"find clothes" again. But then you come out with the strawberry ice cream.

*standing ovation.*

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 13, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

jng2058 posted:

Agreed, she's never getting another level. Indeed, my guess is that we're getting near to the end of the prequel part of Prequel here. It's my guess that Katia loses her amulet, blows up super-flammable Kvatch, and that's what gets her thrown in jail to start the game.

I'm hoping that Kaz carries on with the Oblivion story at that point, but I have a sneaking suspicion that'll be the end of it, which would be apropo if somewhat sad.

My guess is that the story will end just as she is confronted by Uriel Septim and they have that moment of mutual recognition.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I heard that Kazerad was on some podcast or something earlier today. Anyone hear that?

Apparently on Wednesday it will be posted here:
http://www.webcastbeacon.com/category/webcomic-beacon/

edit:

MikeJF posted:

That can't be right. She has to deliver the package to Quill-Weave. :(

Maybe she can just do that when she's a CHIM-realizing BAMF player character who has to deal with Quill-Weave's dispute with her neighbor about her pets.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 16, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So, what do you guyd think that that flash of light was? Do you think that was lightning signaling the start of rain, or the orphanage signaling the start of the invasion?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Cryophage posted:

"Hey, you're that cat-person I've been tormenting in my sleep!"

I was assuming that in his dreams he's just as terrified of her as she is of him. Like, in his dreams he's pushed into a small, dark room with a Cat. There’s no way out. No one to help you. And she just stands there, being a Cat.

But sure why not.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Where is everyone in the church?

Maybe she'll give in and be about to drink, when she's suddenly interrupted by Martin waking up and threatening to call the cops, at which point Katia flees in pure terror.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

VictorGrunn posted:

I don't know Oblivion enough, I guess. I was kind of hoping Katia was accidentally about to burn down Steve's church (he's a priest, right?), with him taking that as retribution for whatever role he played in Sig screwing her over.

OriginalPseudonym posted:

I don't know, Kvatch is pretty trashed in Oblivion as I recall.

Yeah but in Oblivion the Cathedral is pretty much the only building not burned to the ground and razed. When you show up, most of the survivors who couldn't make it out of the city are holed up in there, including Martin. So the cathedral has just as much plot armor as Hirtel and Sigrid.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I get that Katia passed out from smoke inhalation, but who put the fire out?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

radintorov posted:

If it was magical fire fueled by her, it might have simply gone out when she passed out?
Besides, she's still breathing, so there's no way this could get any worse. :v:

She could wake up Martin standing directly over her, angrily wanting to know why she broke in and started setting fires.

She could even have a nightmare with he King, and right when the King is right up in her face, and wake up screaming only to have Martin be right there staring her in the face too.

Also, maybe he put out the fire?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Well, on the bright side, this means that she actually managed to receive a blessing from one of the Divines! Why did they they ignore her back in Anvil then? Unless her latent CHIM limits the Divines to just giving the player stat-boosts, and can't deal with general "please help me get my life back on track" prayers since that would interfere with their destinies or something.

If this is the case, then Katia should really consider shooting a quick prayer to Zenithar and Mara, whose blessings fortify willpower and luck, respectively.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I'm not clear about why she broke the action figures after seeing that pointed shadow. What was that a shadow of/represent to make her pissed off?

Was that shadow from her claws, reminding her that she isn't a human or elf, and is just a dumb animal? OR, was it from her hand, but it made her think of the King's crown?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Ursine Asylum posted:

Mac Chrome reporting in, I'm seeing the text just fine.

You say you see the text just fine, but your screenshot shows tons of squares?

I'm a Mac Chome user, and I see the Zalgotext just fine. There is one single no-character-box, right where the "t" in "Fanart" should be.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Volmarias posted:

I don't like that I have to shrink the page size to actually see what's going on :(

I think that you're supposed to have to scroll up to see the words. Like, that's part of the experience.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Wait, so Nah works for the Thieves' Guild? I didn't get that the vampire was Nah simply because I thought it was just a joke about the "you get a Thieves' Guild recruitment letter signed by a guy who lives in the Imperial City, no matter where you are" thing. But yeah, since we're in the church, we might as well try praying again just in case the gods changed their mind, since praying cures diseases and you have 3 days till porphyric hemophilia becomes incurable with conventional means. But yes, asking the Thieves Guild for handouts sounds like a good idea.

Also, Kazerad, Weaver said that you drew a picture of Boxdog or something at some point? Could you link that?

Edit: Is there ever any TES game that lives up to the backstory of the region being featured in the game? I mean, I guess Skyrim got it a lot better than Oblivion, where they literally invoked arbitrary divine space-time-continuum-fuckery just to make the region a more generic European temperate grassland with Medieval/Roman cultural influences.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 28, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

IronSaber posted:

Welp, we broke the quest log already. :argh:

At least we might get an Arena Rainment out of this. Finally, some proper armor!

If we're going to get issued any clothing, it's going to be an official arena skimpy exotic dancer outfit, not armor.

Edit: Also, dammit, We didn't manage to talk to Martin! Or at least, we didn't get to have Martin say something to us, and then we bolt out the door because he has a sinister aura about him for some reason Katia can't quite place, yet strangely, he also seems almost familiar somehow....

But seriously, I'm curious about how he'd adress Katia. Like, would he be pissed at her for trashing the place and yell at her? Or just restrain himself and firmly ask us to leave like Weedum-Ja? Or maybe even be saintlike and genuinely offer us help?

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 8, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Grapplejack posted:

I hope she isn't like, permanently blinded.

Don't worry, remember the arena will have a basin of renewal, a magical tub thing that fully heals all contestants after a match. So basically no matter what happens in the arena, Katia will get her eye fixed.

Hey Kazerad, how do you always seem to find the /co/ threads? Do you just lurk /co/ after an update, or do you have some kind of bot that detects when a Prequel thread happens somehow?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
"Ballstink Turdsludge" with quotes gets zero results on google. What was it before I disappeared?

And can I get a link to the tumblr Kazerad says he doesn't update enough?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Thanks for bringing this comic to my attention. :smith:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Great choice of music Kaz, that song is like, building confidence distilled into audio format. It's actually making me Feel Things and might even motivate me to do all this really important work I've let pile up to a angerous degree. :unsmith:

And yeah, the timeline archive is really great, since before reading this update I was trying to go back in my head to remember how many days have passed in-story, and due to not reading in so long it got fuzzy and I couldn't. Five days, wow. Here's to several more days of adventure ultimately culminating in getting thrown into the Imperial City jail!

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Shes got to go to the Imperial city and kill that redguard with infinite money in his pocket.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Where in the flash game was this khajiit woman? I completely forget her and. Need to have a look.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Kazerad posted:

SOMETHING AWFUL FORUMS, I am going to tell you the harrowing tale of my chicken nuggets.

"Your Alchemy skill increased."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Is it Elisabeth Noone, voice actress of the Oblivion's beloved "50 year old chain smoking lesbian" Khajiit/Argonian women voice?

• Locked thread