Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you

Vladimir Putin posted:

I've never seen my cat or dog bring me a book and ask that I read it, which my daughter started doing at the age of one. I'm pretty sure my cat and dog, or any animal for that matter don't know what the gently caress a book is.

It's not a book, but it might be better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEnTPJMgDMo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Vladimir Putin posted:

I've never seen my cat or dog bring me a book and ask that I read it, which my daughter started doing at the age of one. I'm pretty sure my cat and dog, or any animal for that matter don't know what the gently caress a book is.

There are some dogs that know what books are, which is to say a rather dry but savory snack.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

blaarghh posted:

No offence Darko but by arguing against my post you just proved yourself to be the exact misanthropic nerd I was describing, complete with contempt for 'stupid people' and refusal to be around them (how does that even work, do you huff dramatically and walk out the room if someone says something you disagree with?). I bet you're a right barrel of laughs!

Not wanting to be around people you can't relate to or have intelligent conversation with != misanthropic or nerdish. Misanthropic means that you hate people in general and nerdish tends to imply a lack of social skills, neither of which that statement default applies to. It doesn't "prove" anything. I don't choose to spend time with people that I can't relate to or have conversation with and avoid it if at all possible. Simple.

You can't just strawman anything to mean anything you want it to.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Vladimir Putin posted:

Your daughter at one is too dumb to be left alone for 5 hours at a time. My dog actually knows what books are - they are "the thing that my owner picks up and looks at for a while, so I leave him alone while he's doing so."

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Darko posted:

Your daughter at one is too dumb to be left alone for 5 hours at a time. My dog actually knows what books are - they are "the thing that my owner picks up and looks at for a while, so I leave him alone while he's doing so."
If you're going to allow "intelligence" as a single meaningful word and not a confused tangle of thousands of different meanings unworthy of use as a metric, at least don't define it as the length of time a creature can be left unattended in your serial killer dungeon or wherever you child haters keep your creatures.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Emasculatrix posted:

Personally, I prefer to be around dogs than children for the exact reason Vladimir Putin just described. They don't talk, so they can't whine or tell you mean things. You can also lock them in the backyard when you want to go out for the night.

Dogs can't whine? Could you tell my dog this?

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.

GidgetNomates posted:

Dogs can't whine? Could you tell my dog this?

My dog doesn't whine, but YMMV :smug:

If people want to point out how their kids are smarter than pets, they should mention that eventually their children will talk and do math, not that their kid is capable of retrieving an object. Any dog can bring its leash or ball to you and transmit a clear message of what it wants. But this brings me to my real gripe about children- their parents. Maybe because I live in the most yuppie place on earth, but many parents I run into are smug, insufferable assholes who don't seem capable of taking a hint. The fact that you spend $20k a year so your special snowflake doesn't have to play with brown people doesn't make you a better parent, or your kid any less obnoxious.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Remy Marathe posted:

If you're going to allow "intelligence" as a single meaningful word and not a confused tangle of thousands of different meanings unworthy of use as a metric, at least don't define it as the length of time a creature can be left unattended in your serial killer dungeon or wherever you child haters keep your creatures.

I'm talking in basic computational, learning, and reasoning ability. Kids don't pass the dog/pig/other primate/parrot level until 1-2, basically. They're just a lot higher when it comes to the language center and can pick up individual words faster. And, they lack basic instinctual survival skills which the majority of animals have upon birth.

Therefore, having a pet fulfills half of the nurturing instinct that people get from children without most of the problems. As far as the instinctual need to pass genes on, given the way human intelligence works, we can create legacies through other means to fulfill that.

Therefore, a lot of child "haters" who have art or music other actual fulfilling drives that stimulate their creation instinct don't really see any real upside to having children since every aspect that makes having them enjoyable can be fulfilled in other ways, with far less downside and general annoyance.

Of course, if you don't have anything else going for you, then children may be your only way to get around your instinctual drive, and those people are the ones that typically get all mad when other people don't want kids/nobody cares about their kids :)

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study
I like kids, but don't really want any. This is because 1) The Earth is way too overpopulated, and 2) I don't love kids enough to devote my life to raising one. If only people who really loved kids had them, this would solve so many problems at once. Sadly, there are too many people who don't use protection/want someone to take care if them when they're old/feel it's a societal obligation/want a puppet to live vicariously through, etc.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Darko posted:

Therefore, having a pet fulfills half of the nurturing instinct that people get from children without most of the problems. As far as the instinctual need to pass genes on, given the way human intelligence works, we can create legacies through other means to fulfill that.

Yes, there are other ways to fulfill the drive if you're not looking for kids.

This doesn't make wanting kids bad, or people who choose to have kids instead of getting a dog (not everyone likes dogs) somehow less. You keep trying to use your intense Vulcan logic to basically explain why you think wanting kids is oh-so-illogical, because there are other ways to alleviate the drives. You know the easiest ways to alleviate the drive? To have some kids. Not everyone wants substitutes, or to try and settle for things that are sort-of-kind-of equivalent if you squint hard enough - not everybody wants tofurkey instead of turkey.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
Given the recent media frenzy, this thread gains new perspective. :smith:

starbu.cx
Jul 13, 2004
so do your parents, it seems.

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002

starbu.cx posted:

so do your parents, it seems.

Goldmine.