Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

People who hate kids suck in my experience. Thread necromancers too, they're both dead weight on the world. Though not all thread necromancers are selfish and devoid of empathy so I guess if I were on a desert island with a terrible human being I'd rather it be a thread necromancer and not someone who hates children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Stop fighting in front of the children you barren freaks of nature.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Emasculatrix posted:

No, you're right. These systems are undeniably more punitive for women, and we ought to be able to say this out loud, especially if we have any hopes of changing the system for the better.
Which systems are you referring to? Are there legal ways in which a stay at home mother is disadvantaged compared to a stay at home father?

I mean I can see the early biological disadvantages (a man's bladder is not in any danger) and huge medical expenses initially (the female bears all pregnancy-related medical bills), but I can't see how the other stuff cited- school expenses or the expectations of employers- discriminate genderwise in terms of child-rearing. Unless you assume the woman is the one who will be at home caring for the child, in which case you've written the bias into the problem to begin with. Otherwise, a single father and a single mother should be similarly hosed by their employers and the state.

e; or maybe you're talking about the fact of being able to give birth puts women at a disadvantage, in which case absolutely. One clear instance is seen among those who direct graduate students. Heads of such labs are deeply disinclined to hire women because they stand a far greater likelihood of dropping from academia to care for a child, especially given the ages at play, at which point all the money and time invested in them is lost.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Every child, cat and dog is different. You have to throw food at all of them to really tell which are the smartest.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Darko posted:

Your daughter at one is too dumb to be left alone for 5 hours at a time. My dog actually knows what books are - they are "the thing that my owner picks up and looks at for a while, so I leave him alone while he's doing so."
If you're going to allow "intelligence" as a single meaningful word and not a confused tangle of thousands of different meanings unworthy of use as a metric, at least don't define it as the length of time a creature can be left unattended in your serial killer dungeon or wherever you child haters keep your creatures.