Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
It CAN change. I grew up thinking other people's kids were a massive pain in the rear end, babies were gross, etc., etc. Then everyone around me started popping out kids and my mind gradually changed, and now my husband and I are expecting our first kid in October. I think feeling freaked out about it is kind of natural, but the major thing that helps me is that I know my husband will be there 100% as we go through this. It's something we're doing together.

And yeah, don't feel bad, pregnancy is kind of gross. I got major anxiety the first time I saw an ultrasound (oh god living thing inside of meeee) and the kicking and moving around... not so charming when the little bugger starts aiming for the colon. I see pregnancy as a means to an end rather than some glorious time to get all mushy and girly. But I don't think that will make me any less of a devoted mother.

But yeah it all varies. If you really want to be sure, put yourself around other people's kids a lot, your mind may change. And remember, for every nightmarish moment a kid gives you, there's the cute and charming moments too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

thuvia posted:

As evidenced above, people are going to patronize you and say that you'll change your mind when you get older (because obviously you can't know your own mind until you hit some magical age) or that all you need to do is start hanging around other people's children. People can be really lovely when they don't think you're living the life they approve of. I've come to realize that a lot of it is out of jealousy. You'll be able to do things with your life that they cannot because you don't have kids and they do. Misery loves company and all that.

Was I being patronizing? I didn't intend to. I just said it was possible to change your mind, because I did after interacting with other people's kids. It either comes to people in time or it doesn't. And it is possible to want kids without getting all gooey and mushy like most women seem to do. Pregnancy's actually kind of a pain in the rear end, not some magical moment like most people would lead you to believe.