Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Larva
Dec 26, 2007

Citizen Rat posted:

Pretty sure this is sarcasm. But as an attorney that specializes in health law, I'd be pretty damned stressed if one of the doctors in my clinics said that s/he had sterilized anyone under the age of 35 without significant counseling. The potential for the patient to come back in a year or two and sue for some kind of malpractice is just too damned high. Clearly this US specific, but there are very few areas of medical malpractice where you are quite as guaranteed to win, especially if you get to a jury (particularly a Southern jury), as when a patient is suing over anything related to reproduction. I'm definitely ~~childfree~~ but I'd be stressed as hell if one of my doctors was all "welp, patient wanted it and after a 15 minute consult I just scheduled the op." Talk about making all of my liability warning alarms go off at once.

I actually doubt that sarcasm was involved—at least, I sympathize with the sentiment. Legally, it's obvious why sterilizing everyone who asks can't be done in America. However, I think the stigma against sterilization here is excessive. As someone who has always been eager to give up the "right" to have children, I can't get too worked up about other peoples' reproductive rights. There are too many unwanted babies, and so many other ways to make a positive and lasting impact on the world. It's disturbing to me that people who legitimately do not want to reproduce are routinely pressured into risking pregnancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU