Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!
I wish they would do permanent sterilization on anyone over 18 who asks for it just once. Then no one would be able to bitch and moan about constantly getting hassled about having kids, because it would be a moot point.

Yeah being pregnant is pretty much the worst aside from actually giving birth, and trying to raise a child to be a well-behaved and productive member of society is a lot of work and sacrifice. Parents know this and don't need to be told by someone who hasn't experienced any of it. But parents also know that their kid can be the most awesome thing ever.

I would never encourage anyone to have a kid, but since I don't have a lot of free time for anything else it tends to be what I'll talk about, aside from work. Since most of my friends are childfree I just don't see or talk to them much anymore. It's lonely but I'd rather avoid feeling bad about being excited about my kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opie
Nov 28, 2000

Vulvarine posted:

And what prevents you from mentoring EXISTING children or being in a Big Brother/big Sister program? Or is the honesty and generosity thing secondary to your interest in making something that looks like you?
Nothing prevents anyone from it, not even having your own kids. But I see the argument that people who choose to have their own kids are somehow bad because they didn't adopt someone else's mistake, yet neither did the people who "hate" kids. Most of the people I know who have adopted either tried to and couldn't have their own kids, or are gay. The rest had kids of their own already.

opie
Nov 28, 2000

Vulvarine posted:

No, it was read right; women are ruled by hormones and have no intellectual agency, and young women in particular can't possibly know what it is they want because hormones might take over when they're older and no matter how absolutely sure they are that they don't want children for however many perfectly logical reasons, the biological clock will overwhelm our feeble female brains.
That's why I think people who are 18 and older should immediately get permanently sterilized when they decide they want to. I just looked and there's a procedure called Essure that seems relatively non-invasive and cheap. Maybe Planned Parenthood could do it. And being able to say "I can't ever have kids" would surely end all these constant arguments people claim to have way faster than "I hate kids eww gross."

Really I don't even see why anyone cares if an 18 or 23 year old might change their mind. If they do, so what? Too bad, guess they'll have to adopt. Probably not the worst thing ever. And it affects my life in absolutely no way. Maybe they won't be so bitter about kids and we'll see less whining about how nasty and vomit-inducing they are.

opie
Nov 28, 2000

hedonista posted:

Hey another lady who hates kids here (almost 25). I've always felt this way, never played with baby dolls,
Seriously what the hell does playing with baby dolls as a child have to do with hating kids. I know a lot of men who never played with baby dolls and they don't hate babies or young kids. I like to think that people can mature beyond their interests or lack thereof at age 6 or 7.