Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I never said they didn't have good reasons not to have children, it just makes me scared for the future because I know people my age who couldn't make mud if you gave them a pile of dirt and a bucket of water, and they're on kid three or four already.

Wait until you are 30 and things will be quite different in this regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Amnistar posted:

I read the OP sorry if someone already mentioned it but based on what you've said you seem like someone that might be good at adoption past the age where you find kids objectionable?

She finds kids up into their teens to be objectionable and I don't think anyone wants to adopt college students!

Although I guess you don't need to go through all the screenings and processes of a normal adoption if you just want to let some 19 year old use your washing machine every couple weekends.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Thenipwax posted:

Why is everybody missing his entire point? He didn't say that couples that didn't want children will end in divorce.

Apparently you missed this:

quote:

A man that doesnt want children is a man who doesnt want commitment, and no ammount of quitting birth control and getting pregnant will change that. He will dump you. For the younger chick.

Which is pretty drat stupid and does indeed imply that couples that don't want kids will end in divorce, since apparently any man that doesn't want kids can't handle commitment of any kind and will dump their partner to go gently caress someone younger.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Noctone posted:

I hope you're just playing dumb. The point of debate here is whether or not it is more "responsible" to have kids within the confines of a marriage (the implied responsibility is to said kids). Your tangent about WELL SOMETIMES IF YOU'RE NOT MARRIED AND YOU'RE A GUY YOU MIGHT NOT GET CUSTODY has absolutely nothing to do with responsibility.

Gee it's almost as if anivasion already made this perfectly clear several posts ago by saying "It wasn't a matter of irresponsibility"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Noctone posted:

Her whole CUSTODY!! spiel was in direct response to:

She didn't cop to the irrelevancy until after I called her out on it. She then either played dumb or legitimately didn't understand my point, so I made it perfectly clear.

I can't believe I have to explain this.

wtf?

mr. Mephistopholes asked "whats so irresponsible about having kids while unmarried" and she said "it's not that its irresponsible but here are some factors that make it a pain in the rear end that you might consider". That's a reasonable response. No one went off on any rants about CUSTODY!! and you are acting like a hostile moron for no reason. You are trying to turn it into a Debate About Responsibility when all she was doing was adding an that there are some potential issues to think about, aside from responsibility.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Noctone posted:

You're literally making poo poo up. This is, verbatim, what she said:

Yeah, and what's wrong with that? These are important factors that someone having kids outside of a marriage might want to consider. Does it make them irresponsible in terms of being immoral people or something? No, but they are important and worth thinking about all the same.

Even outside of the kids scenario this kind of legal poo poo is important to think about. If you are in a committed relationship with someone, you might not really need the symbolic/religious aspect of a marriage but if one of you ends up in the hospital with a serious illness or injury, things will be a lot easier if you are legally married.

This doesn't mean that someone who is unmarried is irresponsible but at the same time its helpful to point these issues out because people can be blindsided by the legal/practical aspects if they get into a situation like a custody issue or an illness or something along those lines.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Cats, dogs, squirrels, rats, spiders, snakes, everything in the ocean, can't help what they are, so it seems pretty strangely bigoted to hate them for it.

What exactly is your point? I mean I don't know if "bigoted" is really the right word but if someone really hated cats, dogs, squirrels, rats, spiders, or everything in the ocean the way that the OP hates kids, I'd probably think there was something a bit off with them too.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Fruity Tree posted:

I can't do the whole "oooooooh :O Let me see thaaat, what did you draw there, huuuuh? That's so prettyyy, good job. And what is this? Aaaah, I see!" because I'm just not that... emotional, I guess.

So don't talk to kids like that, talk to them like you would anyone else. I remember adults talking to me like that when I was a little kid and I hated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Vladimir Putin posted:

I've never seen my cat or dog bring me a book and ask that I read it, which my daughter started doing at the age of one. I'm pretty sure my cat and dog, or any animal for that matter don't know what the gently caress a book is.

There are some dogs that know what books are, which is to say a rather dry but savory snack.