Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

Shoe of all Cosmos posted:

I am not a dreamer or the creative type, with the sole exception of a strong appreciation for art and music. I do not understand how someone with working ears cannot sense a rhythm or be tone deaf.

Out of all the things in the thread, this set me off. This is like saying you can't understand how somebody with two working eyes could be color blind.

It's okay to have the opinion of not wanting children, but I am going to go against the grain and say that you are entirely too self-important/absorbed going by how vitriolic you are about this.

Maybe your opinion will change when you get older, maybe it won't, but you need to learn some humility first things first, it seems. Seriously, you reek of arrogance. Which is not a rarity with people your age.

Also, you and your boyfriend will have to split eventually, unless you love unhappiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Tibor posted:

I really hate kids too.

Honestly, the path to relating/liking kids starts with getting the gently caress over yourself, which is hard to do when you're in your 20s, freshly independent, etc. I'm not even talking about having kids, but the way some of the people in this thread discuss their hatred of kids is just a me-me-me sandwich slathered in idungivafukboutchu.

I think a lot of adults get so caught up in the bullshit of their lives that it's hard for them to relate to the naive wonder of a child, where everything is fresh and new and amazing. It's understandable, but if you are a grown adult who can't eventually figure out how to communicate with a child, there's something wrong with you. 20 is not grown though, so don't sweat it.

Some kids are total brats, but at that age that is the parents' fault, barring any mental illness in the child.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

demozthenes posted:

To be fair, I have yet to hear any reasoning for having children that isn't "me-me-me-I-want-this-thing-that-looks-like-me" either, though...it's not like anybody needs them to help out on the farm anymore.

That's true, I'm not defending the modern selfishness of having a kid. I was speaking more of some people's inability to communicate with another person who is not on their emotional or intellectual level (children, for example).

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Ragman posted:

Well one difference is that cats are cuter. The other is that they're less clingy.

Other than that all I'm seeing are similarities.

Y'all realize kids get older right? They don't just stay little kids forever.

Eventually they grow into adults that you can actually converse and relate to, perhaps even become friends with. And that part continues for much longer. Childhood is such a blink in a lifetime.

Y'know, like how you are friends with your own parents? Right? ... Right? :ohdear:

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Shoe of all Cosmos posted:

To whomever said I reek of arrogance...

That was me. I didn't mean to be overly offensive, but it's instantly what I thought. Makes perfect sense.

We all have baggage and poo poo that our parents did or said to us during our vulnerable time of development. What makes you an adult, is being able to face those flaws and try and do away with them. Believe me, I know how easy it is to stew and resist change and not assume responsibility for you are.

Honestly though, from the moment you realize that somebody else influenced who you are in someway today, it falls on you to choose whether or not to let that influence continue. Yes, bootstraps, etc, w/e. Best of luck though.

The contrast of anti-baby cat people everyone to is hilarious in this thread. You ever notice how dog people don't share the same sentiment?

Then again, I do not have to shove a 10 pound football out my body, so take my words for what you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Citizen Rat posted:

I have a dog and I'm not having kids. What up?

You don't seem anti-baby though. There is a difference.