Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

President Ark posted:

Had a pretty good one yesterday. Happened during the boot process.

code:
Keyboard failure
Press F2 to run SETUP
Press F1 to load default values and continue
I laughed pretty hard at that.

Yeah these happen pretty commonly. You are expected to plug a new keyboard in and then press the key. Its mostly a holdover from when keyboard was the only real input. With a media center you might not need a keyboard and just have a USB IR receiver and a remote, though you probably should just get a wireless keyboard or leave one tucked away in case you need maintenance.

Still it's something that should be gotten rid of now on most things. I was going to say other than linux servers, but you are probably just going to remote into them. I see zero need for a BIOS to demand a keyboard.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If I plug in only a USB IR remote, my Dell laptop won't boot without pressing a key on the internal keyboard which is quite annoying since it's ostenibly my HTPC. Oddly if I plug a wireless keyboard/mouse dongle as well it boots fine.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

~Coxy posted:

If I plug in only a USB IR remote, my Dell laptop won't boot without pressing a key on the internal keyboard which is quite annoying since it's ostenibly my HTPC. Oddly if I plug a wireless keyboard/mouse dongle as well it boots fine.

There's an option in BIOS to ignore keyboard errors.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Crowley posted:

There's an option in BIOS to ignore keyboard errors.

But how do you set it without a keyboard???

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:monocle:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

pixaal posted:

Yeah these happen pretty commonly. You are expected to plug a new keyboard in and then press the key. Its mostly a holdover from when keyboard was the only real input. With a media center you might not need a keyboard and just have a USB IR receiver and a remote, though you probably should just get a wireless keyboard or leave one tucked away in case you need maintenance.

Yeah, but when that error message first appeared, keyboards were the non-hotswappable PS2 and you couldn't plug in a keyboard without robooting.

So, it truly was a useless error message. It was literally impossible to 'Press F1' to continue

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

It probably used less space in ROM to call the same "press f1 to continue" subroutine for every error rather than building an exception for a keyboard error, especially on a computer that could reasonably be useless without one.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

It then decided it couldn't upload for an unspecified reason.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I was trying to import data to a MySQL database via the command line utility:

code:
mysqlimport: Error: 5, Loader::FlushParameters: Failed to flush parameters. I/O operation on D:\Temp\bhload-info-3548-1410931684-31 failed with error - The printer is out of paper.

Turns out D:\Temp is the server's temp drive, not my local one, and I had filled it.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I guess WSAT's a little weird about running with silent denial of admin cred elevation.

:confuoot:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Girlfriend just sent me this one:

A .docx file that won't export to PDF, instead generating the above error. Just what you need when you're finishing a job!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 9, 2014

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

HalloKitty posted:

Girlfriend just sent me this one:

A .docx file that won't export to PDF, instead generating the above error. Just what you need when you're finishing a job!

What's wrong with that? The export failed and Word didn't recognized the error code returned. That's pretty much all the application can do at that point.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

That's less bad if it's a third party print-to-PDF driver, but that's pretty unacceptable if it's Word's internal "save to PDF" function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Still, it could at least show an error code or something.

• Locked thread