Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I think I can share some of the more intriguing errors/general software weirdness screen shots that I've collected over the years. Here's a sample:

Would it be bad form to dump ~30 of them into one post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah, 'questions' in some error messages can be awesome.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

fleshweasel posted:

maybe put it in an imgur gallery and link it

Sure.

http://imgur.com/a/3Eaoy

I have probably equal number of screens in Polish, but it would be difficult to convey why they are funny because it's mostly bad translation.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Also

Don't think I can wait a month for that to finish...

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

More of a coding horror but...

:smithicide:

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

The Word one says "Serious disk error detected in sparse.txt".

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Lum posted:

So you created a 16TB sparse file and then tried to open it in stuff?

Yeah, basically.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Those are all totally expected and reasonable error messages, though. The NotePad one even tells you exactly what the problem is.

I'm sorry. "System cannot find the file"? "Serious disk error"? And outright crash of winamp? I don't see how those are reasonable in any way. "Disk full" I can kind of understand even if it's not really correct.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Sparseness of the file is completely transparent to the application. All reads of the "missing" parts just return 0. And if the application crashes on malformed input... Well, we're one step away from buffer overflows and code execution.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

thelightguy posted:

Next someone is going to post an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen from pre-SP2 XP like it's some surprise. "But look at how unhelpful and obtuse it is, it doesn't even mention that it's a video driver!"

You can always load the dump into a debugger and check! :v:

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

That's what I call an accurate error message!

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Didn't know + is not a character. :v:
I think it only accepts alphanumeric characters...

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Try creating a looped NTFS link structure :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Still, it could at least show an error code or something.

• Locked thread