Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I've come across many over the years, but recently one of my users got an error in our time tracking software. This, in and of itself, isn't uncommon. The error, however, caught me a bit off-guard. Picture a typical Windows error dialog with the red circle with white X in it that says:

"Impossible happened."

I just... I just don't know, man.

I also once got an error in IE (I think) that read something like China 2504 Ireland 6. Also no clue there and I've never seen it since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Epicenter posted:

That sounds like some kind of insane soccer joke.

I was thinking maybe a Civilization-style Economic power joke.

Broken Knees Club posted:

Also GHC will throw the "impossible happened" error on occasion, but at least it then dumps the raw info in the console too.

Yeah this shithouse software just gives you that dialog then manages to somehow lock up the SQL instance running the database behind it. The whole server, not just the one database. I have never been able to determine WTF it is doing. And the software window open on the local machine won't shut down cleanly. You have to kill the process with kill.exe because Task Manager will swear it can't close the process.

Here's the error dialog:

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 31, 2011

• Locked thread