Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/GrahamSig/status/1260360673328082944

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

And orthodoxy has made another person an idiot.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Dying is NOT COOL

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

lmao

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tired Moritz posted:

Dying is NOT COOL
That's not what Shin Megami Tensei IF taught me, bucko. :colbert:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

:dadjoke:

https://twitter.com/grahamsig/status/1260367166953660422

at first i thought the guide was for the PSX version of innocent sin, before i checked and realized the PSP version of IS came out like 9 years ago :stare:

(also i like the Freedom ending for nocturne the best!)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh i see now why everyone does true demon. Since that's the one that involves doing the bonus dungeon, and if you're going to do that anyway why not pick the appropriate ending while you're at it

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Amppelix posted:

Oh i see now why everyone does true demon. Since that's the one that involves doing the bonus dungeon, and if you're going to do that anyway why not pick the appropriate ending while you're at it

Yeah, Nocturne is one of those 'this route has more content, and is therefore the correct one' games. To its credit it's probably one of the first JRPGs to do that.

I've grown a distaste of True Endings in games with multiple routes/endings over time, though I only realized it just recently when playing Fire Emblem Three Houses. That doesn't have one, which actually inherently legitimizes all of the available routes because they're all right in their own way, albeit fundamentally incomplete in their approaches.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 13, 2020

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, Nocturne is one of those 'this route has more content, and is therefore the correct one' games. To its credit it's probably one of the first JRPGs to do that.

I've grown a distaste of True Endings in games with multiple routes/endings over time, though I only realized it just recently when playing Fire Emblem Three Houses. That doesn't have one, which actually inherently legitimizes all of the available routes because they're all right in their own way, albeit fundamentally incomplete in their approaches.

Well, the way the amala network works, all the endings are the true ending. each one a possible future for the world due to the conception. The TDE is only called that since there is a normal demon ending.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

cdyoung posted:

Well, the way the amala network works, all the endings are the true ending. each one a possible future for the world due to the conception. The TDE is only called that since there is a normal demon ending.

Yeah, True Demon Ending falls into the 'more game here, so do this one' category of True Ending, as opposed to the 'we as developers decided this is the right ending and the others are lesser'. Bravely Default immediately jumps out at me as the example there, but there's more egregious. Fire Emblem's actually done this a lot, to my knowledge, and I'm pretty sure Bioware's committed this one a few times. But I don't honestly like either of those approaches, because either way, it devalues the other options.

Although for the record, I don't mind the Persona 4 approach, where the true ending is additional to the 'good ending'. It doesn't undercut the other ending's accomplishments, it just adds to them.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 13, 2020

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

you can still back out of committing to the TDE at the last second (like right before the final boss of that route), right?

also just out of curiosity, which fe games are you thinking about? :)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Booky posted:

you can still back out of committing to the TDE at the last second (like right before the final boss of that route), right?

I believe you can actually fight Metatron and avoid TDE by just turning around and leaving after the fight instead of going through the door.

Sounds like the dumbest thing ever and nobody would ever do it but maybe they were thinking "okay we gave you all the extra content but you aren't technically locked into the TDE route so it's cool."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Booky posted:

I actually wasn't thinking of any specifically, because I'm not actually super familiar with the series; the strongest example I ended up personally remembering was actually Fallout 4. But I tapped TV Tropes for some examples to know I'm not just making up a trend and realized that oh, wow, they have a whole section just on ways Fire Emblem has showed favoritism on routes and character choices.

Their metric on those was less 'this is the one that the developers arbitrarily decided was Correct' and more 'these choices have a conspicuous amount more cinematics and available units', though. Which isn't what I was thinking of, but it's no less valid an angle, really.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

NikkolasKing posted:

I believe you can actually fight Metatron and avoid TDE by just turning around and leaving after the fight instead of going through the door.

Sounds like the dumbest thing ever and nobody would ever do it but maybe they were thinking "okay we gave you all the extra content but you aren't technically locked into the TDE route so it's cool."

ahh i see. it's nice to have the option open if you like the bonus content but want a different ending then! :v:

oh ok! i feel like some FEs don't have that issue, but admittedly i'm thinking about just Plot stuff and not like, characters.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Booky posted:

:dadjoke:

https://twitter.com/grahamsig/status/1260367166953660422

at first i thought the guide was for the PSX version of innocent sin, before i checked and realized the PSP version of IS came out like 9 years ago :stare:

(also i like the Freedom ending for nocturne the best!)

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

lmbo

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Booky posted:

oh ok! i feel like some FEs don't have that issue, but admittedly i'm thinking about just Plot stuff and not like, characters.

The only FE with any kind of golden ending is the Revelations path of Fates, and it was an abject failure in every way. Awakening could be said to have a true ending, but it's a decision made at the end of the last map of the game and it's trivial to replay to see both.

7 features 2 routes but they're both the same story; Hector mode features 2 extra side chapters if you follow a guide but it doesn't change the overall game. The ending changes if you choose to romance 2 specific characters. Sacred Stones has split paths, but the same characters and 2 sides of the same story.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

My guides are a bit different!

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

With so many posts in a short amount of time, I had a brief hope that maybe new SMT V information had came out.

No such luck, but at least there was this.

Also, if you are to target a single franchise after you become a Christian fanatic, a MegaTen game is a much better choice than Pokemon, Harry Potter, or D&D.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 13, 2020

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
law characters are the worst

you'd think an evangelical would be pleased that japan is at least paying attention to christian mythology, but I guess it's hard to look into that funhouse mirror if you take that poo poo seriously.

smt isn't even the weirdest christian poo poo in japanese culture, not by a long shot

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the only remotely decent law character in the series is the one who told the heavenly host that their way of doing things sucks, so i doubt the holy rollers would be thrilled by a closer examination

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
poo poo I would say that Breath of Fire II is still up there in terms of “strongest shade of Christianity in a JRPG” and it was one of the earlier ones

Devil Survivor remains the only game in the MegaTen series for me that depicts their Law and Chaos reps as people that a sane individual might ally with; it’s not perfect but it’s a lot better than how I remembered say... Strange Journey handling it

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The only way that clearly recently converted screed could be even better is if it was a guide for SMTII.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

the only remotely decent law character in the series is the one who told the heavenly host that their way of doing things sucks, so i doubt the holy rollers would be thrilled by a closer examination

Zel in SJR realizing that they could just do communism instead of brainwashing people is good, I think

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't Beth in SMT II also Law aligned? I know her tenure in your party is short, but she's cool.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

smt isn't even the weirdest christian poo poo in japanese culture, not by a long shot

I wonder how the Born Again FAQ author would feel about Angel Sanctuary. Incestuous lesbian angels fighting the Evil Computer God.

But hey, at least Michael doesn't have....her(!!!??) thong showing like in Bastard.

And I liked Zelenin in Strange Journey Redux. I think she's a very believable example of how somebody could be sucked in by the kind of totalitarian promises of Law. They promise you safety and meaning and that's all she wanted.

SJ Mastema does his job extremely well.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Booky posted:

all you need to do is not look at the final peephole. You can get Beelzebub, Metatron and Dante and still back out.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

daermon posted:

The only FE with any kind of golden ending is the Revelations path of Fates, and it was an abject failure in every way. Awakening could be said to have a true ending, but it's a decision made at the end of the last map of the game and it's trivial to replay to see both.

7 features 2 routes but they're both the same story; Hector mode features 2 extra side chapters if you follow a guide but it doesn't change the overall game. The ending changes if you choose to romance 2 specific characters. Sacred Stones has split paths, but the same characters and 2 sides of the same story.

Fire Emblem 6 also has a true ending that's kind of annoying to get without a guide, although we never got an official English release for that game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sitting here for 20 minutes and counting refreshing this Sarasvati fusion until she has all three of diarama, media and zanma sure is making me think about all the people who complained about the series being for babies now when they started letting you pick the skills yourself

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Sitting here for 20 minutes and counting refreshing this Sarasvati fusion until she has all three of diarama, media and zanma sure is making me think about all the people who complained about the series being for babies now when they started letting you pick the skills yourself

Whenever I think about replaying Nocturne, I always conveniently forget about this. It is just such an intuitive and good function that it blows my mind it was only added in later games.

On the bright side, Sarasvati is one of my favorite demons in Nocturne. There's something satisfying about having 3D demons...makes them feel more alive in a way. I could listen to her strum her instrument as she casts a spell all day.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Amppelix posted:

I won't deny that it's better without that, but there were some teething issues in SMTIV when they first added it and accidentally killed the game's difficulty. A whole bunch of the difficulty in the older SMT games was more about compromise than anything; that you will ALWAYS have a gap in your kit, somewhere, which means there's always going to be something that can ruin you. Unfortunately, JRPG nerds have always been willing to sacrifice their time if it means facing less difficulty, so you get... yeah, twenty minutes of refreshing a menu until you get the three specific spells you want.

The first SMT-or-adjacent game I played after SMTIV I played after that was P5, which seemed to find the right difficulty mix again. So I'm not sure when they found the groove again, but they did.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I won't deny that it's better without that, but there were some teething issues in SMTIV when they first added it and accidentally killed the game's difficulty. A whole bunch of the difficulty in the older SMT games was more about compromise than anything; that you will ALWAYS have a gap in your kit, somewhere, which means there's always going to be something that can ruin you. Unfortunately, JRPG nerds have always been willing to sacrifice their time if it means facing less difficulty, so you get... yeah, twenty minutes of refreshing a menu until you get the three specific spells you want.

The first SMT-or-adjacent game I played after SMTIV I played after that was P5, which seemed to find the right difficulty mix again. So I'm not sure when they found the groove again, but they did.

I think SMTIVA's system was a pretty good walk back, making it less "well I'll stack all my strongest skills on this guy" and a bit more of a puzzle for how to fuse the right skills onto the right demon

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i can't believe i still haven't gotten it jesus christ

it's not like i'm trying for an impossible combination here, either. sarasvati learns both force spells and healing on her own skill list, so this should be the natural stuff she wants to inherit.

E: jesus gently caress i got it! only needed to post about it on the internet first. works every time

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 15, 2020

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Amppelix posted:

she inherits healing, so getting that and attack magic is hard. since she will prioritize healing and support/debuff spells.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It really didn't seem that hard. Most fusions had some attacking spells, usually mazan and sometimes zanma. I got different combinations of the three i wanted constantly, they just refused to all show up together.

E: it was all worth it though because check out this sarasvati!!

this is a good enough set to last a good long while, i think. i super lucked out into getting recarm upgraded into samarecarm via random event.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 15, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I remember refresing for like 30 minutes to get...I think...Beelzebub in Nocturne to be immune to everything either via reflect, absorb, or nullify. Good times.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The best part of the old random skill inheritance system was when you'd spend upwards of an hour rerolling the skills until it finally landed on the combination you wanted... and then you got a fusion accident, resulting in a completely different demon, rendering all that effort pointless. :shepicide:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

W.T. Fits posted:

The best part of the old random skill inheritance system was when you'd spend upwards of an hour rerolling the skills until it finally landed on the combination you wanted... and then you got a fusion accident, resulting in a completely different demon, rendering all that effort pointless. :shepicide:

this but reflexively backing all the way out of it and resetting it again instead

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chic Trombone posted:

I think SMTIVA's system was a pretty good walk back, making it less "well I'll stack all my strongest skills on this guy" and a bit more of a puzzle for how to fuse the right skills onto the right demon

Smt4a had a really good balance right until you recruit that girl who can kill all the random encounters on turn 0 for you

Like I'm not complaining about it per se it's just I think maybe the proc chance for that skill should have been lowered a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

This in fact happened to me. but then i got it again immediately without the accident, so i didn't bother making a third rant post about it.