Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Yeah, and I honestly think SMT2 did yhvh/yhwh better than SMTIVA.

Also, while Apocalypse has much less jank is much more strategic about fights than normal IV (and might be more up to speed for veterans, since it reminded me a lot about the SNES + Nocturne games, even) ...
  • The Navarre mechanic
  • The shaky localization (at least compared to IV, Strange Journey and even Nocturne)
  • The gemstone mechanic
  • 3 to 4 dungeons
... can all go gently caress themselves.

The Navarre mechanic in particular at times feels like an exercise in padding and it honestly felt like at least a couple of otherwise good-to-great dungeons got bogged down to okay-to-decent because of that.

Do you dislike the localization because it used contemporary slang and cutesy language like "totes"?

I'm just not sure how it is inferior to those other games is all. This is the only real difference I can see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Now I'm Super Guido!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

kirbysuperstar posted:

Now I'm Super Guido!

Mark danced crazy!

yeah iirc the localization for 4A was fine pretty much, and the slang works with the characters being younger and having post apoc web access (unless it's about how like 2 lines got accidentally kept in JP?)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

Do you dislike the localization because it used contemporary slang and cutesy language like "totes"?

I'm just not sure how it is inferior to those other games is all. This is the only real difference I can see.
No, it's due to being bare-bones as gently caress, the slang is fine and even a welcome addition of sorts. It's sorta like how FE13 (Awakening) and FE15 (Echoes: SoV) got above-average localizations by 8-4 (the voices/script in Japanese for both are fine but largely standard fare as far as RPG's go, while the English localization are much more charming) while Fates was done by Treehouse and it was sorta :geno:. It's fine, it's there, it just doesn't hit me like anything previous efforts (mostly Strange Journey and IV) did. And again, it's mostly if you played the Japanese version to compare.

Then again, most of the English cast did a pretty good effort; it's impressive Xander Mobus manages to sound even snarkier than Shuichi loving Ikeda, while Jalen Cassell is probably the best thing that happened to the dub (Cassell's performance as Krishna was so good, it legit surpassed Kenjiro Tsuda's performance, who very likely was cast because Krishna was probably created with him in mind to voice the leader of the Divine Powers in the first place).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Not a lot of love here for Izanami here as being one of, if not the, first final bosses in the series to have some sort of story presence and characterization beyond just being a vaguely described overarching threat. Persona 4 was an incredibly departure from the well-worn narrative rut the series had been stuck in for the longest time and I always wonder why it seems that so few people appreciate just how different it really is.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Because she shows up in the last 2 hours to say Mwhahaha It was me, Dio! and then you go beat her up.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also remember that Izanami has literally been there since the first game/novel:

Like the whole franchise is named after her.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
She's the gas station attendant at MOEL. She hangs out there all game and even occasionally comments on what's currently going on if you talk to her, as I remember it. It still isn't much, but that makes her more of an active presence in the game than Literally God is in any game that features him as an antagonist.

P4 is pretty remarkable in that it isn't really following the "help, the apocalypse is happening/has happened, what do" formula of most SMT games, which I really liked. You're dealing with the supernatural all game, but it's not really the thing that is threatening you - all your major enemies are humans merely using the supernatural to facilitate their crimes. Even Izanami isn't really your enemy until Adachi makes her go "holy gently caress, what is wrong with this species," she just kinda kicks the whole situation off by giving random people Persona powers to see what they'll do with them. It's a very personal and low-stakes story about people as people, I really liked that about it

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 22, 2020

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Wasn't 4A the one where they accidentally left a few lines in Japanese?
And I think in P3P as well.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

She's the gas station attendant at MOEL. She hangs out there all game and even occasionally comments on what's currently going on if you talk to her, as I remember it. It still isn't much, but that makes her more of an active presence in the game than Literally God is in any game that features him as an antagonist.

Wow, she occasionally comments on things. That's real impressive.

Even considering other persona games that doesn't compare super well. In P5 literally God was Igor all along and he probably played more of a role than the nameless gas station attendant.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Man, there's no need to be an rear end in a top hat about it. Yes, it's a very low bar to clear, considering that until that point, basically every other SMT game had the same generic faceless apocalyptic threat that doesn't show up or even really matter before the final capstone fight of the game, but I think it's a move in the right direction. I just like the fact that she has a motive beyond "well, let's destroy everything because this game needs a big bad, I guess" and has some presence that shows you there's more to the character than that.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 22, 2020

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Do we really have to just spoil major developments in SMT games without tagging them? It seems a little gauche. Also, Commander Gore dies.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Item Getter posted:

Wasn't 4A the one where they accidentally left a few lines in Japanese?
And I think in P3P as well.

It's something that crops up here and there, though iirc 4A has a relatively benign version that got missed by QA since coming across that dialogue string is pretty unlikely.

e: looking it up, "unlikely" is a bit strong, but it happened because it's a line that occurs if you hit a boss dialogue while your partner is KO'd.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Cardiovorax posted:

P4 is pretty remarkable in that it isn't really following the "help, the apocalypse is happening/has happened, what do" formula of most SMT games, which I really liked. You're dealing with the supernatural all game, but it's not really the thing that is threatening you - all your major enemies are humans merely using the supernatural to facilitate their crimes. Even Izanami isn't really your enemy until Adachi makes her go "holy gently caress, what is wrong with this species," she just kinda kicks the whole situation off by giving random people Persona powers to see what they'll do with them. It's a very personal and low-stakes story about people as people, I really liked that about it

Do you think she was actually pullin shifts at a gas station for a year "for the plan" or just using magic to appear like she was supposed to be there

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Light Gun Man posted:

Do you think she was actually pullin shifts at a gas station for a year "for the plan" or just using magic to appear like she was supposed to be there

I want to say there was a quote or two that implied that nobody else could see the gas station attendant.

Also, outside of that first day of the game, I believe the attendant only ever appears on rainy days. Which isn't evidence in and of itself, but is definitely one of those 'hey, now that you mention it' moments in the game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No, I think other people can see her. There's the occasional comment from NPCs that mention her androgynous appearance, which the game treats as something of an identifying feature.

Considering that much of her stated motivation lies in figuring out humanity after spending most of the existence of everything being dead, I would say it's not necessarily unreasonable to assume that she actually sticks around the place in person, just to keep an eye on things. Doesn't mean she actually ever worked at that gas station, though. :v:

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Speaking of the localization of smt games, I love how sometimes your response to something like, "Darest thou challenge the power of the demon Lucifuge, mortal?" can be something like, "Eat my farts, demon." The inclusion of slang and American colloquialisms is one of my absolute favorite things about the series and I sometimes wish they learned just a little harder into telling awe-inspiring demons to just gently caress right off

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Clearly we need a simulation game where you play as her at the gas station, avoiding work via illusion magic and cryptic words.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hell, I'd play a game where your job is to be the cryptic rear end in a top hat who always seems to be everywhere and know everything and to push the actual protagonist of the story into defeating the big bad. It sounds like a hilarious role reversal.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Light Gun Man posted:

Clearly we need a simulation game where you play as her at the gas station, avoiding work via illusion magic and cryptic words.
I will not butter up my manager! :mad:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocturne HD is currently the only Atlus game slated to appear during Sega's Tokyo Game Show streams.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

https://www.destructoid.com/stories/sega-s-60th-anniversary-eshop-sale-includes-atlus-3ds-favorites-604351.phtml

Sega's 60th Anniversary is happening so a bunch of poo poo is on sale on eshops including a bunch of Atlus stuff.

Mainly you can get nearly every Atlus game on 3DS on sale right now including:

- SMT4 & Apocalypse
- Devil Summoner Soul Hackers
- Devil Survivor Overclocked & Devil Survivor 2
- Strange Journey Redux
- Persona Q & Q2

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Yea, been plotting which games to pick up (though I'll likely fish around to play them on an emulator instead).

The sales really are every three months and roughly the same discount/price too.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Light Gun Man posted:

Look she's been stuck in Yomi for literal ly thousands of years, she just wanted to go outside, enjoy the sun for a bit, curse Izanagi's name somewhere he could hear her, y'know, the little things in life.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

And so I have started my newest P3 run. I beat FES once but I only made it up to Fuuka with FeMC a year or two ago before quitting 'cuz I'm weird like that. But I'm feeling it now and intend to see it through to the end.

So what does Mitsuru saying "Tartarus has a weird formation today" mean? Different enemies or something? I didn't notice anything different but I didn't get very far, I'm still at the very start.

Also what does Courage do? I was unsure of what is the best way to raise your social stats and I glanced at a guide and it says Courage is the one to work on first.

Still not sure which route raises stats fastest or if they all give equal points or whatever. For some reason I wanna say teh Quiz Game raises Academics faster than studying but I dunno. That was FES and 3 years ago and I might just be remembering wrong.

I might be the only one but I kinda like the Condition mechanic. I doubt we will ever see it again but P3 was far and away the hardest Persona game for me and I like the challenge. That's why I'm playing on Maniac.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 23, 2020

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I wanna say Courage is the important stat to work on first because you need like, max Courage to hang out with Fuuka and she’s the first of the three max stat blocks to be available? Generally the more you pay to raise a stat, the better the boost you get, so yeah that’s why quiz game is king for academics.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
In Portable, and only Portable, you get a very, very small (proportional) boost to S.Link points with a high Charm. Academics is needed for exam results regardless of version. Courage has no real ancillary effects in any version.

All 3 social stats have new Links available at levels 2, 4 and 6. Courage is done first, usually, because Fuuka is the first Max Stat required gate you will run into and it needs, by far, the smallest total points required to max. It's not more complicated than that; Courage > Charm > Academics is the most time efficient, since that's the order you need them maxed to do new S.Links at the earliest opportunity and also goes from lowest to most required points for that same reason.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Very well, thanks everyone. For some reason I thought Courage had something to do with exploring Tartarus... Oh well.

Also I was incorrect about something. I thought they fixed the "you cannot reapply a buff/debuff until it wears off" thing in P3P. Nope, it's still here, still dumb. I'll live but I can't believe it took them until P4G to fix this.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

don't even go outside unless you're wearing these

(Source: https://ebten.jp/atlus/1248?shopLower=1)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Man, either I completely forgot about all this (which is possible) or I totally missed out on so much. I played P3P up till Fuuka but in this current run I remembered nothing about Maiko or "Striped Shirt" or Tanaka selling stuff. I feel like I must have completely missed all of it which is pretty impressive in how stupid it is. Tanaka sells some great stuff and for dirt cheap.

And nothing else is dirt cheap in this game. Personas cost an arm and a leg to re-summon and I don't feel like getting into the Compendium discussion again but I mainly want a lot of Personas to help with S Link progression. I'm not sure but do S Links take longer to progress in this game? They have this whole "give them an item" mechanic to help them along so I'm just wondering if the items giving you free S Link points means it takes more points to advance them to balance things out

S Link progress at start of June is Maiko 4, Junpei 4, Yukari 3, Rio 4, Saori 2, Student Council 2. Doesn't seem like much.... I got Courage and Charm up to 3 and working on Academics to 3 as well. I think then I can start talking to "Striped Shirt" and start his S Link. Also Akihiko's S Link "technically" became available fairly early on but given I need to be "Queen Bee" before I can actually start it, I don't see me starting that S Link for a long time.

Also I'm keeping all my party on AI controls because that's part of the P3 experience. Besides, I'm just curious if I can beat the whole game like this. An added little challenge/makes the gameplay more novel. The game isn't nearly as hard as I remembered, at least right now. Maybe I just felt like FES was the hardest because it was my first.

EDIT:

Although, remember me talking about making sure I got Null Dark on a Persona? Maybe I was thinking of this game because random enemies here can use Mudo and hit you with like 99% accuracy. Seriously, they killed my party about 7/8 times. They missed Mudo exactly one time on my party and that was without a Dark weakness. Meanwhile, even with them weak to Light, my Hama almost always msissed.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 25, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

anaka sells some great stuff and for dirt cheap.
~over the airwaves to you~

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Okay, it's time. I'm gonna start casually inching my way through Strange Journey Redux despite not having finished NG+ P4G yet (haven't touched it in a month or two).

Because I can't stand using my real name in games, and I'm a red blooded American going deep, the journey of commando John Matrix is already like 90 minutes transpired. Glad I'm playing in Citra too since I'm not sure I'd enjoy this on my normal sized 3DS screen.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I never use my real name in games but for some reason Strange Journey is the game where it just feels right.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

NikkolasKing posted:

And nothing else is dirt cheap in this game. Personas cost an arm and a leg to re-summon and I don't feel like getting into the Compendium discussion again but I mainly want a lot of Personas to help with S Link progression.

Man, I have a question for you about SMTIV: A. Did you always directly summon the demons you wanted directly from the compendium? You can often get what you want for just a fraction of the cost, sometimes like a tenth, just by summoning the two things that make it up instead, or summoning two demons that make up those, etc. Obviously pointless if you're going directly for a cool guy you plan to use, but if you're just getting something to make something, or if the component demons have good passives, or if it's a special fusion (where you can't fit 3-5 badass demon's worth of skills on the result anyway) it can be a big deal. Last month I was playing, and I was like "80,000 yen? What a rip. Oh, right, I should just... there we go, and it's only like seven thousand." The various sorting options are a huge boon here, too - target a specific demon and Include Compendium and you can see the cheapest way to make it, for example.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Andrigaar posted:

Because I can't stand using my real name in games, and I'm a red blooded American going deep, the journey of commando John Matrix is already like 90 minutes transpired. Glad I'm playing in Citra too since I'm not sure I'd enjoy this on my normal sized 3DS screen.

I've never used my real name in a persona game. I pretty much always give my persona character a fun name like that. Larry Laffer was what I used for the persona 5 run where we went for every romance

When P5R someday comes out on PC and I replay it I might go for Guybrush Threepwood? Undecided yet

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I tend to go with the 'canon' name for the character as far as one exists, they just fit in better with the rest of the cast.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Every SMT hero is Charlie Tunoku

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I also don't use my real name, if there's not a default name available I tend to go for something suitable to the setting. Lots of Jacks and Rudys in my games.

For some reason in SJ I named the MC something Roivas, and I thought I was so loving clever until I realized I'd stolen it from Eternal Darkness.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

John Lee posted:

Man, I have a question for you about SMTIV: A. Did you always directly summon the demons you wanted directly from the compendium? You can often get what you want for just a fraction of the cost, sometimes like a tenth, just by summoning the two things that make it up instead, or summoning two demons that make up those, etc. Obviously pointless if you're going directly for a cool guy you plan to use, but if you're just getting something to make something, or if the component demons have good passives, or if it's a special fusion (where you can't fit 3-5 badass demon's worth of skills on the result anyway) it can be a big deal. Last month I was playing, and I was like "80,000 yen? What a rip. Oh, right, I should just... there we go, and it's only like seven thousand." The various sorting options are a huge boon here, too - target a specific demon and Include Compendium and you can see the cheapest way to make it, for example.

Oh absolutely, if I just needed fusion fodder I went and negotiated to get two "generic" demons or I bought as low level demons as possible or I maybe got an Element to..."up-fuse" them. At last in this run I made sure to always Register my demons at maxed level/all skills learned but for demons I had no interest in using and who had no skills I wanted, I tried to avoid spending money.

I didn't use the Search function until the very end, though. I like figuring out what demons make what on my own. Fusion is a big part of SMT's appeal for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kirbysuperstar posted:

Every SMT hero is Charlie Tunoku
Fartwort or nothing.