Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Commander Keene posted:

I personally thought that the plot, or at least the pacing, was better in 2, because in 1 you spend like 3-4 days just wandering around surviving, and the actual plot is very backloaded, whereas in 2 they have JP's as a vehicle to drip feed plot to the player so you get things a bit more evenly over the seven-day period.

Like, the first you even hear about the whole thing with the Bel demons fighting is on Day 3, right before you go fight Beldr, right? You find out about the Septentriones at the end of Day 1 in 2, right after you've killed the first one.

The pacing of bosses was much better in 2, but on the backside of that I think the day-to-day plot got a lot more formulaic. Plot-wise I think they lay it all out a little too early, it tells you exactly what's gonna happen and you end up just waiting for it to play out with very few surprises. All you know at the beginning of 1 is you cannot escape Tokyo and the longest anyone has to live is 6 days, so there's a little more mystery. The ending paths in 1 also had a little more variation that 2 where you essentially take the same path end-game no matter who you side with.

Still I loved them both and I'm looking forward to going back for the Triangulum arc after a palate cleanser.

I also tried the first episode of the DeSu2 anime and I cannot handle MC having a voice, it feels very wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

DeSu2 has better pacing but I definitely prefer the setting and tone of 1 and how desperate the situation gets. I think it fits the name "Devil Survivor" a little better, too.

RillAkBea posted:

I also tried the first episode of the DeSu2 anime and I cannot handle MC having a voice, it feels very wrong.

The DeSu2 anime is baaaaaaaad. They got 12 episodes to work with to condense the entirety of the DS game's plot so they cut out the heart and charm of the game to make a bad Evangelion clone.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The moment that best defines DeSu1 for me is the first Bel fight. You have done everything you can to try and get a weapon to kill an invincible demon lord and in the end despite all your effort all you get is a key chain. So all you can do is rush at this ancient horror and pray that it works or else inside the lockdown will end up like a charnel house.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
DeSu is still one of my favorite SMT games. Just chaotic vibes all around.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

Finished Devil Survivor 2 yesterday (the Septictantrum arc at least, I'll come back for Triangulum later). I think my feelings are very much the same as what I've already read in the thread. A huge improvement in all areas over the original, except the story. I didn't hate the story, Polaris was a nice change from the regular SMT big-bads if a little thematically vague, but it just wasn't anywhere near as tight as the first game and the character roster was a little bloated.

I think Daichi was probably my favorite character just for how real he was. Fumi in a definite close second for being the complete antithesis of Daichi and yet every bit as real. Keita in hard last, because go to hell Keita, I regret saving you.

But which route did you go for? Daichi's? And there are two Daichi endings.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Has anybody actually played Maken Shao? I've always wondered what kind of game it is.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gaius Marius posted:

Has anybody actually played Maken Shao? I've always wondered what kind of game it is.

It's..interesting but not particularly good. The PS2 version is third person but everything else is exactly the same, even the level design.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Huh I'll have to acquire it an find out, the only place I've ever even seen it before is when G4 used to have Cinematech on late at night.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
IIRC the Dorohedoro author did the manga adaptation of Maken Shao.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

But which route did you go for? Daichi's? And there are two Daichi endings.

I did the Akashic Records Daichi route. Which was relatively mild for an SMT ending. Yes, you're the only one who remembers but I was honestly expecting the earthquake to happen again and it just be a straight time loop. Or at worst, the train to just straight dethsplat MC and friends.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Just a small heads up there's a very good chance we will get at least a new trailer for SMT V this Saturday the 20th, during the streamed SMT music concert. It would be pretty consistent with the way Atlus has operated in the past, with a lot of the pre-release trailers for Persona 5 being first shown at Persona music concerts for instance.
The concert itself seems cool but 3666 yen seems a little steep to watch a 2 hour livestream.
It wouldn't be mentioned in this concert but I'm dying over here waiting to find out when the Nocturne remaster will come out in English.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Item Getter posted:

Just a small heads up there's a very good chance we will get at least a new trailer for SMT V this Saturday the 20th, during the streamed SMT music concert. It would be pretty consistent with the way Atlus has operated in the past, with a lot of the pre-release trailers for Persona 5 being first shown at Persona music concerts for instance.
The concert itself seems cool but 3666 yen seems a little steep to watch a 2 hour livestream.
It wouldn't be mentioned in this concert but I'm dying over here waiting to find out when the Nocturne remaster will come out in English.

I hope so It's the only reason I have a switch

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I also bought a Switch for SMT5. Also for if they made another Etrian Odyssey game it would probably be on the Switch.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It's a good thing both of you bought several other of the really good Switch games available too, and didn't just keep the thing collecting dust while you stood there mad, huh?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cleretic posted:

It's a good thing both of you bought several other of the really good Switch games available too, and didn't just keep the thing collecting dust while you stood there mad, huh?
I don't know why you assume I'm mad, Switch just doesn't have a whole lot I wanna play, SMTV is my only real must play on the horizon

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Cleretic posted:

I've really enjoyed a lot of other Switch games, just mentioning that many years back SMT5 (along with P5S) was one of the main reasons I got the system, so looking forward to it.
I sometimes still laugh at this one guy on another games forum who bought a PS3 near launch solely for The Last Guardian and it ended up getting delayed several years to the point of becoming a PS4 exclusive. I think it was the same guy who bought a 3DS near launch only for $10 download-only title Crimson Shroud and wanted to sell it afterwards.

Actually in the near future I'm looking forward to Nocturne HD more than SMT5 since I already know Nocturne is good; I had mixed feelings about SMT4 so more cautiously optimistic about 5 than anything.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 16, 2021

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Item Getter posted:

I've really enjoyed a lot of other Switch games, just mentioning that many years back SMT5 (along with P5S) was one of the main reasons I got the system, so looking forward to it.
I sometimes still laugh at this one guy on another games forum who bought a PS3 near launch solely for The Last Guardian and it ended up getting delayed several years to the point of becoming a PS4 exclusive. I think it was the same guy who bought a 3DS near launch only for $10 download-only title Crimson Shroud and wanted to sell it afterwards.

Actually in the near future I'm looking forward to Nocturne HD more than SMT5 since I already know Nocturne is good; I had mixed feelings about SMT4 so more cautiously optimistic about 5 than anything.

Yeah, I was thinking of exactly those kinds of people when I made that post; the type that apparently readily buys a console at launch for a future project, and then apparently never touches the thing otherwise solely so they can be mad that they wasted their money because of their own poor purchasing decisions.

Having that attitude about the Switch and SMTV just seemed especially funny to me, because... I mean okay, maybe The Last Guardian is too extremely specific a title to find other games that appeal to you in the same way; you were stupid, but understandably stupid. But SMTV and the Switch? I can guaran-loving-tee you that there's some itches you have that are scratched by the Switch's library, that thing's worth its money as a Dedicated JRPG Machine alone.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 16, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There isn't a single JRPG I want to play on switch at the moment, the whole genre has been completely stagnant for almost half a decade

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I wonder how many consoles the promise of Duke Nukem Forever sold over the decades.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Funky Valentine posted:

I wonder how many consoles the promise of Duke Nukem Forever sold over the decades.

Probably remarkably few, since Duke Nukem was big for PC gaming and was always 'just around the corner' until the point where it became delayed to absurd levels. It might've sold someone on a new graphics card or keyboard or something, but probably not a whole platform, because it felt so close for so long.

And it's a similar level of absurdity to 'bought the Switch for SMTV and can't find anything else that appeals'. If you were buying/upgrading a PC for Duke Nukem Forever, well... sucks once it gets delayed, all you have left to try that you might like is the back end of the loving golden age of PC FPSes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gaius Marius posted:

There isn't a single JRPG I want to play on switch at the moment, the whole genre has been completely stagnant for almost half a decade

THen play remasters of old games, like the SaGa series!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The old ones still exist, and generally look better, and don't require me to use a lovely controller

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

The old ones still exist, and generally look better, and don't require me to use a lovely controller

You can't play them on the toilet, though

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

You can't play them on the toilet, though

I have an RGM280m

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

A lot of people were definitely very mad when Breath of the Wild ended up being a Switch game because they felt like it wasted their Wii U purchase.

As an owner of a Wii U honestly good riddance lol. I lent it to a friend and it's still with him

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think there is literally a single game on the Wii U that hasn't been ported to a better machine, that is good enough to have been worth buying a Wii U for. And that's Xenoblade Chronicles X. If that game ever gets ported, the Wii U will have literally nothing anyone wants.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Maiden of Black Water is still stuck there too. I think those are the only two Nintendo "involved" games left there now that Pikmin 3 and SMW3D came over?

Well, and Nintendoland..

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think there is literally a single game on the Wii U that hasn't been ported to a better machine, that is good enough to have been worth buying a Wii U for. And that's Xenoblade Chronicles X. If that game ever gets ported, the Wii U will have literally nothing anyone wants.

pikmin 3.

e: Wait Pikmin 3 was ported? lol rip.

uhh, game and wario I think?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

uhh, game and wario I think?

Oh yeah good call

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Paper Mario Color Splash never made it over, and I'm gonna be honest, probably won't until Nintendo decide to do some kind of big Paper Mario Collection (which would be good and worth buying).

That's not the biggest or most concerning thing to lose--honestly, once Wonderful 101 found a new home there weren't really any worries--but Color Splash might well be the funniest full-price game I've ever played, so that is a bit of a loss.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Star Fox Zero technically too, though I can't imagine too many people crying about that loss.

e: Kirby Rainbow Curse as well. But yeah, the list is remarkably short at this point.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I was perfectly happy with my Wii U and I miss the game pad.

The Switch is a handheld, not a replacement game pad.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I'd just assumed that the Raidou games were the standard SMT style but looking at a gameplay video they are apparently real-time, how are they to play? Does it work well?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Hel posted:

I'd just assumed that the Raidou games were the standard SMT style but looking at a gameplay video they are apparently real-time, how are they to play? Does it work well?

Raidou 2 is really good. Raidou 1 has a cooler story but the combat is a different system than 2 and feels much clunkier. I haven't played much of it.
It's real-time with AI controlled demons where you can also pause and direct them to use certain skills and targets from a menu. Raidou has basic sword combo moves, a special attack, and a gun which stuns enemies. Most enemy spells are projectiles or telegraphed area-of-effect that you can dodge. There is a button you can hold down to hide your demons so they don't get hit by enemy attacks, useful for many bosses with attack patterns that you need to dodge.
Hitting enemy weaknesses in this game will stun them for a bit. If you hit them while stunned they will drop Magnetite, which functions in this game as a shared pool for the party that spells or special moves use (instead of MP, which doesn't exist in this game). Bosses which can't be stunned by weaknesses will drop magnetite after each phase so you don't run out.
Raidou 2 has normal SMT style demon negotiation. In Raidou 1 you recruited demons by hitting their weakness and doing a button mashing minigame.

Also one of your demons in both Raidou games will follow you around outside of combat, and they have certain skills (depending on the race, which there are only a handful of compared to SMT), which you sometimes need to use to progress the story. For example one race of demons can read minds, and you need to use it to find out hidden information that characters won't tell you outright.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Raidou 1 is clunky, no doubt, but it has so much swagger that I don't even care. I had an absolute blast playing it, I thought it ruled.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Like I'm sure a lot of people are in this thread, I'm hoping the Nocturne remaster means that there's DDS and Raidou remasters in the pipeline. They're all the same engine, right (or at least Nocturne and DDS are)? And they used mostly the same demon models? A not insignificant percentage of the work for the other remasters has to be done already.

I missed those games on PS2, so I'm hoping to see them Switch or at least Steam.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DDS definitely used all the same demon models as Nocturne. They also got reused for Personas in P3 and P4. Atlus got a lot of mileage out of those models.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Commander Keene posted:

Like I'm sure a lot of people are in this thread, I'm hoping the Nocturne remaster means that there's DDS and Raidou remasters in the pipeline. They're all the same engine, right (or at least Nocturne and DDS are)? And they used mostly the same demon models? A not insignificant percentage of the work for the other remasters has to be done already.

I missed those games on PS2, so I'm hoping to see them Switch or at least Steam.

I remember the limiting factor on the ps2 being I literally could not find these games. My local stores didn’t stock them and ordering stuff online to the Middle East 15 years ago was a disaster (I did it with metal gear solid 3 which I got a full 3 months after release)

Crazy how much I take for granted now when it comes to instant fulfillment of things I want

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 16, 2021

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
You can play literally every PS2 Shin Megami Tensei on your PlayStation 3 for :10bux: each, with the exception of the original release of Persona 3, so I'm not too pressed about remasters. DDS1 needs a bit of fiddling around in a semi-hidden emulation menu to not run like rear end, but otherwise they're all fine, to my knowledge. Just don't buy Nocturne from the European PSN, since I've seen scuttlebutt about a nasty bug in that version of the game that freezes the game right before (or after?) the final boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Instant Grat posted:

You can play literally every PS2 Shin Megami Tensei on your PlayStation 3 for :10bux: each, with the exception of the original release of Persona 3, so I'm not too pressed about remasters. DDS1 needs a bit of fiddling around in a semi-hidden emulation menu to not run like rear end, but otherwise they're all fine, to my knowledge. Just don't buy Nocturne from the European PSN, since I've seen scuttlebutt about a nasty bug in that version of the game that freezes the game right before (or after?) the final boss fight.

Not every market gets access to these ports

Source: Me, every few months.