Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah the biggest issue with Minotaur is that it's not just enough to play perfectly, you also have to not get unlucky because if he gets a stray crit + smirk the fight's over basically

So at what point does the game stop throwing a lot of these "one mistake and you're hosed" bosses at me, or is that the entire game? I've heard once I get down on the "ground floor" of the structure I've traversing down then the game becomes more manageable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

As your option space opens up with more demons and skills the chance that one move or fight will brick wall you becomes more and more remote.

There's a few more challenging fights, but you'll have plenty of tools to deal with them in your own ways by then

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

So at what point does the game stop throwing a lot of these "one mistake and you're hosed" bosses at me, or is that the entire game? I've heard once I get down on the "ground floor" of the structure I've traversing down then the game becomes more manageable.

Minotaur is the hardest boss in the game with no super easy answers. The next boss also has a bit of a reputation but does have a demon available that auto-wins. After that the game gets quite a bit easier.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

smt iv is in fact easy

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I mean, i do remember the fights i struggled with in IV (hard mode Demiurge and Beelzebulb) and Minotaur isn't one, so it must have been easy

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
:stare:

Most of my struggles in SMT4 so far are from random crits or multi-hit attacks just shredding down my team one at a time giving smirk. Moreso in mob fights than with bosses. Usually RNGesus spreading out the damage makes any overtly difficult fight suddenly manageable.

I spent far, far too long in Roppongi the past few days. I filled in the map of the area I was in, but didn't walk close enough to the next stairs for them to show on the map (unless you gotta walk down it for that), so I thought it was a dead end and inadvertently power-leveled as I roamed. Not even the walkthrough I glanced at for my quest mentioned where the drat stairs were.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I want to add that most of the people saying SMT 4 is easy after Minotaur are also series veterens who played 4 after Nocturne and/or Strange Journey. It was my first SMT, and I still died dozens of times after that. Honestly, as a beginner, the final boss was the hardest point for me.

Although, back in mid 2013 I didn't have internet due to an unfortunate life situation, so that may have contributed to it. Still, I do think calling the game easy is a stretch, in the same way that calling Nocturne easy after Dante is a stretch.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

so, on a related note, I adored and still own a copy of the original Strange Journey but never bought Redux. Is it worth shelling out for the game at ~60 bucks, try to grab it on a digital sale, or just be content with the DS version? I figure if I'm gonna buy a physical copy I'd better do it now.

Redux is a significant improvement over the original game imo, a lot of apps have been added to paper over the more irritating mechanics.i think it was worth it

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Watching a stream archive of someone playing Nocturne for the first time and it only now occurs to me that there's absolutely no explanation of the Press Turn system given to the player. There's a vague hint about it from a mop lady in the hospital but it's entirely possible for someone to go quite a way through the game without ever knowing exactly how press turns work.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I finally got downstairs to the lower "unclean ones" area lol. I had a Raikou who literally just facetanked all of the Medusa's attacks. She killed me and my team but every attack she did on Raikou was absorbed or blocked LOL. Crazy how having the right monster at the right time sometimes just means "yeah this boss literally cannot do poo poo."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah Raikou is the autowin the poster above was talkin' about

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Watching a stream archive of someone playing Nocturne for the first time and it only now occurs to me that there's absolutely no explanation of the Press Turn system given to the player. There's a vague hint about it from a mop lady in the hospital but it's entirely possible for someone to go quite a way through the game without ever knowing exactly how press turns work.

Mid-PS2 feels like the last era you could get away with just not explaining base game mechanics.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Cleretic posted:

Mid-PS2 feels like the last era you could get away with just not explaining base game mechanics.

I mean... it wasn't unexplained. It was in the manual.

Remember when manuals existed? Good times.

That said, they should have added something in HD if they didn't. Does it have a digital manual? I have to assume it does, but I didn't check.

Prism fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 22, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1407363778824458240?s=19

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm expecting that the hardest parts of SMT V (except for any optional bosses) will also be in the beginning much like a lot of the games because the smartest move to make is to always be fusing and your fusions are limited in the early game.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Thanks for this-- snagged a copy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lol GameStop keeps having an "error" when I try to cancel my order from them.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I wanna get it through GS because they have the payment plan thing. I used it to get my GF's Christmas present, too. Kiana is it? Whatever it is, I'd rather pay $30 for 4 months than $120 right now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

I wanna get it through GS because they have the payment plan thing. I used it to get my GF's Christmas present, too. Kiana is it? Whatever it is, I'd rather pay $30 for 4 months than $120 right now.

One thing I do with Amazon if I wanna pay for a preorder slowly, is buy gift cards and apply them to the item over time.

It's a bit more of a pain in the rear end now because Amazon removed the tab that lets you see your open orders. I suspect it's to make it easier to lose track of what you got preordered and harder to cancel orders.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Already sold out lol.

Also couldn't find it on amazon.ca

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Of course I just now get lunch instead of at my normal time and missed this :sigh:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Just use a credit card?

YoshiOfYellow posted:

You grasp it intuitively quickly enough, trying to explain it would've just slowed the game down.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Amazon periodically restocks preorders, right? I seem to remember that happening for a number of things I've tried to get through them before.

Probably gonna relent and get steelbook + Strange Journey Redux physical tho

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Ugh, I'm playing through the Nocturne remaster, and went to buy the Vetala from the Shady Broker in the darkness room, but it bugged out and it gave me a normal Vetala. Is this what happens when you have already recruited Vetala and already updated the compendium?

Super late edit: I'm a dummy and just assumed the demon I got was to the end of my party. :downs:

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 22, 2021

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, smt4 gets easier as you level up and get access to the top-tier races.

Its funny looking back through my smt4 compendium at the demons I fused to clear story content.

An endless sea of demons with at a minimum 2 or more dyne spells, plus makarakarn and tetrakarn if it was a magic-type demon.

I took the VR training challenge missions emphasizing the power of reflecting attacks a bit too literally.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Amazon periodically restocks preorders, right? I seem to remember that happening for a number of things I've tried to get through them before.

Probably gonna relent and get steelbook + Strange Journey Redux physical tho

It's likely Amazon will have more available later on, as Atlus clarifies supply, but its not guaranteed.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I found IV to have a rougher early/midgame but IV:A to have the tougher (and much more fun) endgame. Apocalypse was so loving good.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I forgot, does Luck do anything significant in Nocturne? I remember an optional Luck Door coming up but wondering if it's worth pumping points into otherwise

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Artelier posted:

I forgot, does Luck do anything significant in Nocturne? I remember an optional Luck Door coming up but wondering if it's worth pumping points into otherwise

Luck is the most useless of the stats, pretty much anything else will help you more.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Luck is broken as hell in Nocturne As in it does almost nothing

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
So preorders for SMT are showing up on eBay selling for 300 or more. Scalpers are the worst :sigh:

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Artelier posted:

As mentioned Luck does almost nothing in combat. The only things it affects, other stats have a much larger impact on.

The stat doors all lead the same place, the Luck door lets you buy deathstones for 100,000 macca or something around there. It's the least useful door to open.

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014
Has anyone posted this yet?
https://twitter.com/FanbyteMedia/status/1407438812033155075

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Managed to get a copy of the special edition for SMT5 in Aus, it cost me $160.

just a bit pricy but I'm the sucker who bought it soo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

laughing my rear end off that he's got resist wind

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd love for Sonic to just be a fusable demon for no reason and with no explanation in SMT5. Like you go to fuse a really fast demon with that hedgehog demon from 4 and just, Sonic's what comes out.

Or you can only get him by fusion accident.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What if they didn't tho, that could also be cool

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The special edition might be expensive but at least that sling bag looks nice. I'm much more down with the kind of merch that has familiar iconography for fans of the thing, than something that's loud about it being official merch for the thing. I dislike buying physical games these days but since I had the chance to get that preorder in I figured, why not?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's gonna be cheap garbage. Don't wanna rain on anybody's parade but none of atlus's deluxe merch has ever been worth it.

The shujin bag is dollar store quality, they hosed up the printing of sj's soundtrack, the teddie punching bag popped after a day.

Just don't ever buy premium editions, just pick up the art book later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

Luck is broken as hell in Nocturne As in it does almost nothing

Wasn't that one of the things they fixed for the HD remaster?