Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Oh no no, I bought all the skill slot ones available to me for sure. I get those as soon as they become available. I also have the one that transfers XP from fused demons and that's one that definitely no one should sleep on either. The miracle that recovers HP and MP when Magatsuhi bar is full has also been a huge boon. And I have all the Garrisons except for the latest one since I have a couple free slots and all the demons available to my level (that I need...).

Edit: Knowledge of Tools also feels essential to me. I'm wondering if Race of Transcendence is worth it right now since it just opened up for me (The Nahobino will become able to use race-specific Magatsuhi Skills held by other party members). Or if I should dump more into elemental specialties, I put one point in fire and one point in electric so far and nothing else.

Knowledge of Tools is insanely helpful, might actually be one of the best miracles you can buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Fiend DLC is fun and each one drops a large glory crystal which helps. I spend too much on these elements affinities I think

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I had every non-mastery miracle and maxed out four elements (one being the extra-costly Almighty) by the end. You’ll have to grind or give up something if you want your Nahobino to master literally every element, but otherwise you’ll get enough Glory.

E: I played without DLC, but with finding all the Miman and glory fonts; if you’ve got the DLC quest or the Glory dance, go frickin hog wild.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've mentioned once or twice how Jack Frost only Resisting Ice despite my expectations of him draining it threw a wrench in my plan for Sukuna-Hikona in IVA. I had thought Nocturne was the reason for this but turns out IV was a lot like Nocturne in also feeding you low level bottom tier demons who drain and repel stuff. It was IVA which rebalanced stuff significantly so that is no longer possible. To its benefit, I think.

Revisiting IV, I'm noticing stuff I either forgot or just totally missed somehow. Every demon is sorted into three areas: High HP/no MP, high MP/no HP, and then the folks in the middle. Demons seem to also largely have the same stats, like 20s in everything.

I just beat Medusa and my god some of these designs are hideous, especially the faces. Her and Minotaur look so goofy.

I'm having fun, though. I've always thought the beginning was intriguing. A nice sense of mystery about this "Tokyo," as well as the identity and motives of the Black Samurai. I know all the answers to all these questions now of course but it's still well done.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Minotaur looks cool you shut your mouth

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

I just got past the first boss in the third area and I'm feeling pretty light on Glory. does it ramp near the end of the game, or are you relying on miman?

also seems like magic builds need a bit more glory than physical builds

I don't know what they're called but the blue moon shaped demons with ??? weaknesses drop consumable items that give glory. You should be able to farm them I think they have set spawns.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

I just got past the first boss in the third area and I'm feeling pretty light on Glory. does it ramp near the end of the game, or are you relying on miman?

also seems like magic builds need a bit more glory than physical builds

You can get a big chunk from chests hidden in the world (those weird floating ones), and mimans and chests give more glory the further into the game you get.

Also you can get theoretically limitless glory from consumables, which drop from partner treasure spots, and one type of mitama (I don't remember which). You'll haven't plenty by the end of the game, just don't spend too much on masteries.

E: oh you're in the third area, I thought that said first, you know most of this already!

Begemot fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 30, 2021

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I think the post apocalyptic “cities” in the subways with their NPCs and tavern of 4 are some of the best atmosphere the series has ever had. Nocturne they were over run by demons, 5 so far it is demon world/ human world with little overlap, 4 had a really cool feeling of the last remnants of humanity living in a world of demons

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
I'm only a little bit into the game, is there anything in-game to help you track down missing miman, or are people following a guide to find them all? (Or just searching really really thoroughly but I feel like you would always miss one or two that way.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Edly posted:

I'm only a little bit into the game, is there anything in-game to help you track down missing miman, or are people following a guide to find them all? (Or just searching really really thoroughly but I feel like you would always miss one or two that way.)

At the end of each area you can pay macca to have all the miman you haven't gotten in that area marked on your map.

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014

Harrow posted:

At the end of each area you can pay macca to have all the miman you haven't gotten in that area marked on your map.

Does anyone have a link to the music track that plays when you buy the miman locations?

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Harrow posted:

Oh sweet, thanks, I love when games do stuff like that.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Harrow posted:

Does this scale with the number of miman you've found in the area? I'm at 21 in the first area and I'd rather pay for 4 to be revealed than 25.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cloks posted:

Does this scale with the number of miman you've found in the area? I'm at 21 in the first area and I'd rather pay for 4 to be revealed than 25.

it scales with the area, by the time you reach area 3 or 4 you start getting showered with cash

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
First Area was 2,500 Macca
Second Area was 10,000 Macca

Don't know the rest.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Worklurker posted:

Does anyone have a link to the music track that plays when you buy the miman locations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQprK_MtNt0

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

First Area was 2,500 Macca
Second Area was 10,000 Macca

Don't know the rest.

20,000 and 40,000

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

hell yeah

I'm having a weird time pacing out how much time I spend just loving around fighting demons on the map-tend to mainline to Abscesses and wherever the boss is hanging out so I sorta know what I need even if I immediately get owned

Still like this way more than a random encounter setup where you're forced to just plow through things rather than picking your fights based on leveling/demons you wanna grab

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think the post apocalyptic “cities” in the subways with their NPCs and tavern of 4 are some of the best atmosphere the series has ever had. Nocturne they were over run by demons, 5 so far it is demon world/ human world with little overlap, 4 had a really cool feeling of the last remnants of humanity living in a world of demons

Yeah, that's my major complaint about this game, the world isn't as interesting. IV had the cool old-timey medieval kingdom and the post-apocalyptic underground (twice over) cities. There was a lot of consideration given for how people and demons were surviving and chafing against each other. Then they leaned even further into that grungy aesthetic in Apocalypse. In this game, it's just normal human society where nothing has changed (besides a secret government angel squad), and then demons hanging out in Da'at. It would've been neat if they did more with demons leaking into the real Tokyo, like the lost Jack Frost on the map or the lilim you can set loose in that sidequest.

I thought there would be a lot more back-and-forth after the first area, but no. Seems like you just spend a few minutes in Tokyo after each zone, running around talking to NPCs, then go back to Da'at for hours and hours of exploration.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My only complaint with the miman is that you are unable to get all of the ones in the second area until a sidequest in the third area unlocks.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Monkey Fracas posted:

hell yeah

I'm having a weird time pacing out how much time I spend just loving around fighting demons on the map-tend to mainline to Abscesses and wherever the boss is hanging out so I sorta know what I need even if I immediately get owned

Still like this way more than a random encounter setup where you're forced to just plow through things rather than picking your fights based on leveling/demons you wanna grab

The NB's running back dash through the demon defensive line has been a staple move, feels great to do

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Begemot posted:

I thought there would be a lot more back-and-forth after the first area, but no. Seems like you just spend a few minutes in Tokyo after each zone, running around talking to NPCs, then go back to Da'at for hours and hours of exploration.

I hate this so much and I can't understand why any developers would do it after a decade plus of people bitching about the same thing in Assassin's Creed.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Srice posted:

Knowledge of Tools is insanely helpful, might actually be one of the best miracles you can buy.
Strongly agree, it has completely saved my rear end a number of times.

I've had a couple fights where I was maybe 5+ levels lower than the enemy and sustained myself via swapping in a demon that has the full party heal/revive then actually using it on the same turn with Naho and bouncing back. Actually kind of surprising how many times I've been able to come back after my entire active party, sans MC, gets wiped. Granted I'm playing on normal, so that probably has something to do with it.

Also shoutout to my favorite track I've heard in a videogame all year- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuMpv4lsQpk

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I hate this so much and I can't understand why any developers would do it after a decade plus of people bitching about the same thing in Assassin's Creed.

I would have been OK with it if they had done just a bit more variation with it instead of "oh, let us meet at the one area we designed, the dorm roof, once again" lol

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I kind of liked what I think they were going for with tokyo. Obviously paper thin failing veneer of normalcy over the apocalypse is a timely mood and one worth exploring in an SMT game. It just didn't really get enough development.

But maybe I'm fine with that. What I admire about this game is its focus. It's about da'at, cute and cool demons, and exploring and fighting. You spend enough time in tokyo to get the mood and briskly move on to actually playing the game. Probably no coincidence the game's worst section by far is when it violates that rule

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They fully modeled jyouzi and then you get one necessary cutscene there. How many people even realized you could go back

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Now I wish I bought that

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if there's a 4A equivilent for this game i kind of hope it goes story-heavier. i love the focus on the da'at exploration but i think having a sidequel go a different route would be interesting.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
I feel like I'm doing something wrong on this boss (post area 3)

Chernobog. I literally got two stacks of accuracy/evasion buffs on my party and debuffs on him and he still never misses any attacks. Am I just extremely unlucky or is there some other way to counter his 4 press turns + debuff attacks?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Now I wish I bought that

Speaking of - DLCs, are they worth it? I'm nearing the end of Area 2 and I think I do want the DLC (total cost to me would be the DLC price since the game was a gift to me) but not sure if it's worth it to grab now for the rest of the playthrough or wait until the second playthrough.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Speaking of - DLCs, are they worth it? I'm nearing the end of Area 2 and I think I do want the DLC (total cost to me would be the DLC price since the game was a gift to me) but not sure if it's worth it to grab now for the rest of the playthrough or wait until the second playthrough.

The Fiend DLC ("Return of the True Demon" I think) is definitely worth it. The content there is spread out across the whole game and while you're higher level than the first couple bosses now and will beat them pretty easily, there are still plenty you'll still be working towards. It also adds an endgame superboss.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The fiends DLC is a lot of cool content dispersed pretty evenly through the whole game, if you get any get that one. Cleopatra and mephisto are also cool but the price to content ratio is much worse. The boost dlcs are pretty much completely pointless and unnecessary

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Toad King posted:

I feel like I'm doing something wrong on this boss (post area 3)

Chernobog. I literally got two stacks of accuracy/evasion buffs on my party and debuffs on him and he still never misses any attacks. Am I just extremely unlucky or is there some other way to counter his 4 press turns + debuff attacks?

What level are you? Do you have demons in your party that can null/absorb/reflect any of the attacks he uses?

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Hunt11 posted:

What level are you? Do you have demons in your party that can null/absorb/reflect any of the attacks he uses?

I'm 51 and my demons are around 48-51, while the boss is 54. Most of the issues with him are all his physical attacks which AFAIK nothing can outright null or absorb, at least not anything I currently have.

I managed to beat him after finally getting some misses from him. Do level differences matter that much for accuracy/evasion?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Toad King posted:

Do level differences matter that much for accuracy/evasion?

Level differences matter an insane amount for all calculations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

unfortunately hell biker does not say "aw poo poo, does somebody have a menorah for me"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Level differences matter but I've beaten bosses 10 levels higher. In fact I get the impression that 5 or so below is fairly intended.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Level differences matter but I've beaten bosses 10 levels higher. In fact I get the impression that 5 or so below is fairly intended.

I have done 5 but at 10 levels apart i do double-digit damage with weak crits and get one-shotted by any attack that can do damage

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I would be very interested to see how the game would feel to play with the level difference component of the formulas just removed entirely. I think it's pretty likely it would be a sizeable, strict improvement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
SMT IV Minotaur is the best design in the series.