Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

please............ i don't wanna turn down the difficulty just to beat hydra......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I believe it in you. You have all the tools, you need only go in with the will and drive to strike it down

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Have you tried asking the Hydra nicely to get away from the tower?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Booky posted:

please............ i don't wanna turn down the difficulty just to beat hydra......

what level are your demons? Hydra's like level 16

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Booky posted:

Recruit or fuse a Mermaid. You're welcome.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hydra is very tired, make it sleepytime

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You should be able to negotiate with bosses.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

You should be able to negotiate with bosses.

Make it even more like a WRPG. We already made a few steps in that direction with all the dialogue and moral choices and multiple endings.

Now just add being able to talk bosses down and avoid boss fights. Bring in that Fallout crowd.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry payroll is out of their hands. They'd love to give you a raise but the DM is the only one who can make that call

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i have tried the hydra fight so Many times and i get wasted towards the end, i think cause my team runs out of gas... 😔

heres my team i just checked:

lv 12 nahobino
lv 12 mermaid
lv 11 angel
lv 10 agathion

and in the stock too:
lv 7 slime
lv 10 daemon
lv 10 sandman
lv 17 leanan sidhe
lv 11 azumi
lv 7 cait sith

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Booky posted:

i have tried the hydra fight so Many times and i get wasted towards the end, i think cause my team runs out of gas... 😔

heres my team i just checked:

lv 12 nahobino
lv 12 mermaid
lv 11 angel
lv 10 agathion

and in the stock too:
lv 7 slime
lv 10 daemon
lv 10 sandman
lv 17 leanan sidhe
lv 11 azumi
lv 7 cait sith

Ya that's a bit underlevelled in hard imo. I had to hit like level 15 to beat him. Also Neko Shogun's debuffs are very good to have on someone.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Make it even more like a WRPG. We already made a few steps in that direction with all the dialogue and moral choices and multiple endings.

Now just add being able to talk bosses down and avoid boss fights. Bring in that Fallout crowd.

This is a pretty bad idea, SMT already has about the same amount of avoidable boss fights as the Fallout's with not having to merc your own alignment. But Fallout also has other systems to engage with the world that aren't combat focused and even still you only get a handful of bosses that you can just skip.

F1, if you do the digging to get the data and have high speech you can convince the master to off himself, but you still have to deal with the Military base
F2, neither Dick Richardson or Frank can be convinced to not do the whole FEV plan, but you can stack the deck against them by getting the self destruct code from Dan Quayle or getting the Enclave team to help you kill Frank
F3 you can convince a hundred year old AI to off itself by using absolute moron logic. And kill Autumns entire force, blow up the people he grew up with and leads, destroy his home, and then take the purifier to do the literal exact same thing he was going to do, but Brotherhood flavored. But you can talk him down, neither of those examples are good
NV you can convince Lanius to gently caress off if you make a good enough argument and don't show your hand.

The thing with all the examples is you already have a designed combat encounter before it. You can stealth the Military Base but you aren' t likely to your first time, you need to kill Frank to leave the Oil Rig, You have to follow Prime to the Purifier and you need to do the whole Dam battle. This means the Talking choices are balanced by engaging both sides of the core gameplay, dialogue and combat. Since Fallout, and WRPG's in general are more dungeon based, as in they're balanced around the entire dungeon as an experince including all the grunts that balance holds. SMT isn't like that except partially the earlier dungeon crawler games. People will remember the clusterfuck of the Dam battle, nobody remembers the packs of Empusa's they slaughtered on the way to Thor. SMT is just based more on the singular boss battle as a capstone of the dungeon experience, turning that from an exciting combat encounter to a speech check would feel awful to play. Imagine if you got to the top of YHVH's domain, he goes into his whole spiel, and then you just hit [Speech 100 Have you tried not being a dick?] and then the game ended

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gaius Marius posted:

This is a pretty bad idea, SMT already has about the same amount of avoidable boss fights as the Fallout's with not having to merc your own alignment. But Fallout also has other systems to engage with the world that aren't combat focused and even still you only get a handful of bosses that you can just skip.

F1, if you do the digging to get the data and have high speech you can convince the master to off himself, but you still have to deal with the Military base
F2, neither Dick Richardson or Frank can be convinced to not do the whole FEV plan, but you can stack the deck against them by getting the self destruct code from Dan Quayle or getting the Enclave team to help you kill Frank
F3 you can convince a hundred year old AI to off itself by using absolute moron logic. And kill Autumns entire force, blow up the people he grew up with and leads, destroy his home, and then take the purifier to do the literal exact same thing he was going to do, but Brotherhood flavored. But you can talk him down, neither of those examples are good
NV you can convince Lanius to gently caress off if you make a good enough argument and don't show your hand.

The thing with all the examples is you already have a designed combat encounter before it. You can stealth the Military Base but you aren' t likely to your first time, you need to kill Frank to leave the Oil Rig, You have to follow Prime to the Purifier and you need to do the whole Dam battle. This means the Talking choices are balanced by engaging both sides of the core gameplay, dialogue and combat. Since Fallout, and WRPG's in general are more dungeon based, as in they're balanced around the entire dungeon as an experince including all the grunts that balance holds. SMT isn't like that except partially the earlier dungeon crawler games. People will remember the clusterfuck of the Dam battle, nobody remembers the packs of Empusa's they slaughtered on the way to Thor. SMT is just based more on the singular boss battle as a capstone of the dungeon experience, turning that from an exciting combat encounter to a speech check would feel awful to play. Imagine if you got to the top of YHVH's domain, he goes into his whole spiel, and then you just hit [Speech 100 Have you tried not being a dick?] and then the game ended

SMT would have you speech 100 him and then he'd still kill you, because he's a petty tyrant.
But Nuwah, the creator of humans?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

She wouldn't betray her man like that

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Tbh the no swapping to hard thing is mainly annoying because the part of hard I hate the most is the early game where a single badly timed miss can cause you to get killed

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It’s SMT so it’d be more like YHVH asking you what’s your favorite type of woman, and then high fiving you and becoming your best friend when you say “tall girls with big asses”

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

It’s SMT so it’d be more like YHVH asking you what’s your favorite type of woman, and then high fiving you and becoming your best friend when you say “tall girls with big asses”

Who would have thought YHVH was so awesome?

Although if this was Nocturne it be random and he might instantly attack you for saying that exact same thing.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

Why is he Todo from JJK

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ps1 smt1 is now available in English: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6610/

https://twitter.com/RetroTranslator/status/1550241055408541696

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Two smt1 translations in the space of a year. Praise YHVH

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Then kill him

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kild posted:

Why is he Todo from JJK

I forgot again how good that show was

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Isn't SMT2 the one everybody actually likes? It's the one I see talked about most.

So why did SMT1 get a translation? Unless this person plans on doing 2 as well

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I swear you've asked this same question before

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

smt1 has the fancy shine of being the First (Rebooted) One, i guess?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I swear you've asked this same question before

I've thought about it before so I probably did. That goddamn troll SMT2 translation a few months back did not help.

My bad if you already answered and I forgot.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I wish someone would retranslate the PSX versions of Personas 1-2.5, just so they could be played in their original format if one wished to.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

1 is the most interesting game atmospherically. No other games matched up to it's creeping unease as things just keep getting worse and worse. But mechanically it's brain dead most of the time and there's a lot of little things that are annoying

2 is more interesting in terms of the greater cosmology and has a better set of different biomes, and a good story. But it's opening is significantly weaker and it's still incredibly easy. About as hard as a FF.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

So why did SMT1 get a translation? Unless this person plans on doing 2 as well

They wanted to translate 1. Also this phrasing seems...really aggressive about what you think a free fan translator should be doing. Like comically so.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Also both SMT s are top five SNES RPGs.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Gaius Marius posted:

2 is more interesting in terms of the greater cosmology and has a better set of different biomes, and a good story. But it's opening is significantly weaker and it's still incredibly easy. About as hard as a FF.

I also prefer SMT1 or at least would replay it sooner than 2, and yeah I think it's largely because SMT1 has a cool opening with demons encroaching on the real world culminating in its inspired time skip. As opposed to SMT2 starting you in a generic sci-fi city split into 4 districts and just a guy sending you on missions to deal with some crisis that suddenly popped up in each district one after another. Always reminded me of the equally dull opening chapter of Neverwinter Nights.

Neeksy posted:

I wish someone would retranslate the PSX versions of Personas 1-2.5, just so they could be played in their original format if one wished to.

There's nothing wrong with the official translation of P2:EP PS1 really except for the spell/item names being spelled a bit differently than after the names were standardized in the Nocturne localization. P2:IS PS1 also had a fan translation released shortly before the PSP version which was also fine outside of odd spell name spelling. PS1 Persona 1 is the only one that doesn't have a faithful translation as far as I know

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I’m thinking of playing Nocturne for the first time. Should I play my PS2 disc on an emulator or shell out for the remaster on Steam? I remember there being mentions of the remaster being crappy/buggy for awhile, not sure how much of that if any got fixed.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arivia posted:

I’m thinking of playing Nocturne for the first time. Should I play my PS2 disc on an emulator or shell out for the remaster on Steam? I remember there being mentions of the remaster being crappy/buggy for awhile, not sure how much of that if any got fixed.

I never had any problems with the remaster when I got it on Steam. The translation is at least slightly updated and there is a great voice track now. You can also completely skip some boss fights and a new dungeon by turning off the Raidou DLC. I don't recommend this but it is an option.

The ability to choose between Raidou or Dante (if you buy the latter's DLC) is also a neat feature only in the remaster. You can also play different music if you get that DLC.

If you have the money to spare, I say go for it. If not, emulating is just fine. Nocturne on PS2 has a great mod you might want to try out one day, Nocturne HardType.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

The remaster has manual skill inheritance and lets you change the difficulty on the fly, go with it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Petiso posted:

The remaster has manual skill inheritance and lets you change the difficulty on the fly, therefore it's horribly unbalanced and boring

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yes it's still an SMT game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Manual skill inheritance is probably worth the money but FWIW I played through on original hardware last year and thought it was a near flawless game . Except for random skill inheritance.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The remaster you get Raidou instead of Dante so it’s an overall improvement

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Remaster is better but it’s a great game either way you go about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Arivia posted:

All the complaints I saw for the remaster was that it used the original PS2 audio instead of a lossless version.