Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Okumura gave a lot of people trouble because of the time limit for the green large robots and the fact that he was such a cakewalk in the original. If you're not overlevelled or playing on Merciless, you need some clever use of attack items/accessories and/or lucky crits (I'm not sure if Technical hits work on them) to get a full Baton Pass chain since only Haru and Joker can hit their weaknesses naturally. Most people usually end up having to retry the fight at least once so they have knowledge of the fight if they didn't already have it. And if for some reason you haven't started the Star Confidant, you're locked into one party which restricts your weakness hitting options a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I dont get how people beat Okumura easily in p5r, I cruised through the game on hard mode up to him and ran into a total roadblock. the fact that you have to wipe out the entire wave in 2 turns just didnt work for me once you got to the 4th or 5th wave and I got stuck in a downward spiral each time with endless reinforcements from the boss. On normal I could just power through with phys moves.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Maybe I'm some bimbo savant but I got through it first wave pretty easily. A defense down and AoE Wind from Protag, BP to Mona then Mona Again with some neutral AoE cleared them out.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

I dont get how people beat Okumura easily in p5r, I cruised through the game on hard mode up to him and ran into a total roadblock. the fact that you have to wipe out the entire wave in 2 turns just didnt work for me once you got to the 4th or 5th wave and I got stuck in a downward spiral each time with endless reinforcements from the boss. On normal I could just power through with phys moves.

Single target weakness baton pass x 3 + multi target weakness will kill just about every wave save the last one in 1 turn

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Maybe I'm some bimbo savant but I got through it first wave pretty easily. A defense down and AoE Wind from Protag, BP to Mona then Mona Again with some neutral AoE cleared them out.

The green robot wave is only weak to Psy and Curse.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I finally researched all the new additions to P5R and it's jumped up in priority for me lol. Gonna finish P4G, and then probably start bouncing between simultaneous playthroughs of P5R and the switch version of DQXI

I'm never going to fully understand how I became such a huge whore for SMT when the first one I played was Strange Journey >_>

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

I finally researched all the new additions to P5R and it's jumped up in priority for me lol. Gonna finish P4G, and then probably start bouncing between simultaneous playthroughs of P5R and the switch version of DQXI

I'm never going to fully understand how I became such a huge whore for SMT when the first one I played was Strange Journey >_>

Same here on reading up on the additions and wanting to replay it. Doesn't help that P4G is so good that it makes me want to play more Persona afterwards, and it'd been on my list to replay eventually. The additions all honestly sound like incredibly good QOL changes, and the new content all sounds pretty well integrated and good.

I don't think I've got it in me to play through another like, 100 hours of JRPG right away though. Gonna probably finish up FF7R first, then maybe finish up Yakuza 0/Kiwami or something first.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah the P5R changes are great and make an already solid game to a 'man the first game was so good I didn't think it needed additions but they did and how did I live without this before?'. Still, they're not a 'if I don't play Royal I'm missing out on an essential part of the P5 experience'. The added story content is decent and good but if you decide you don't want to experience it, that is also very fine since P5 wraps things up very well as is.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ApplesandOranges posted:

The green robot wave is only weak to Psy and Curse.

I'm mixing up my robot colors cause that fight was 20 hours ago but the same poo poo applies. Baton Passing to get a triple cast of spells (With one of them being boosted) with debuffing and the follow up was enough to wipe them out together easily. Especially if you quick buff evasion on whoever they're targeting cause those fuckers cannot hit anything.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah the P5R changes are great and make an already solid game to a 'man the first game was so good I didn't think it needed additions but they did and how did I live without this before?'. Still, they're not a 'if I don't play Royal I'm missing out on an essential part of the P5 experience'. The added story content is decent and good but if you decide you don't want to experience it, that is also very fine since P5 wraps things up very well as is.

Here's where we differ, I think P5R is probably the only way to experience the game at this point. That new content being interwoven really shores up a lot of the games pacing issues and rewrites some of the worst bits (Akechi's entire arc essentially, Basically everything after Shido). Not to mention the QoL poo poo and the combat changes just making everything snappier and fun. Even the poo poo like the Will Seeds means you have little bursts of SP regen mid dungeon making 1 Shotting each one much easier. I don't think there's any reason to not play P5R over P5.

I will admit I'm a little biased because I think P5 suffered the most out of the modern personas from the "Last moment secret magic god boss" reveal since it's such a plot focused on the evils that Human decisions actively make when they're in power and not just a vague feeling like suicidal apathy or...whatever was the deal in p4. So the new final bossbeing a character you know with a human face, emotions and goals, who is trying his best to just help people in a way that actually tests the Phantom Thieves personal arcs and their resolve and ethos as a group fits the tone and ideas of the original game way better. It really kind of wraps around and seals the idea that being together changed all these people for the better. And not having is missing a huge part of that game

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 9, 2020

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

deadly_pudding posted:

because strange journey is good as hell?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I don't think there's any reason to not play P5R over P5.

I mean that's practically a given, like I would say there's no reason to play P4 over P4G unless you hate Marie and/or the new VAs. But if someone already played P5 and was going, 'do I need to spend $60 for Royal?' I'd say that nah, you're fine, you'd enjoy Royal if you decide to get it, but if you're leaning towards no you're not losing that much.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

because strange journey is good as hell?

It's good as hell, but it's not like indicative of the direction that SMT and spinoffs generally went in. It's a dungeon crawler with very old-school sensibilities.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

It's good as hell, but it's not like indicative of the direction that SMT and spinoffs generally went in. It's a dungeon crawler with very old-school sensibilities.

SJ was also my first SMT game and where it really stands out to me is its more "traditional" score. Meguro is nothing if not experimental and creative and the Persona soundtracks are a big part of this but even regular SMT is pretty out there when you look at Nocturne.

SJ meanwhile had a soundtrack you might hear in any other JRPG. Still very, very good, but really different from his other work I thought.

Final boss theme owns, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQuLw1WwTyo

Tragically a much better battle theme than the one used for Pillar Zelenin on the Chaos route. Mem Aleph is just that awesome, I guess.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The weird, Yamaoka-esque pieces that Señor Kozuka and Tsuchiya did for the SMT IV duology are among my faves.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Some of the SMT4 music is this weird genre I wish I knew more about because I just wanna listen to an album of bands like it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

SJ was also my first SMT game and where it really stands out to me is its more "traditional" score. Meguro is nothing if not experimental and creative and the Persona soundtracks are a big part of this but even regular SMT is pretty out there when you look at Nocturne.

SJ meanwhile had a soundtrack you might hear in any other JRPG. Still very, very good, but really different from his other work I thought.

Final boss theme owns, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQuLw1WwTyo

Tragically a much better battle theme than the one used for Pillar Zelenin on the Chaos route. Mem Aleph is just that awesome, I guess.

Please point me to the other videogames that have "war chanting" as a battle theme, I want to play them too

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Some of the SMT4 music is this weird genre I wish I knew more about because I just wanna listen to an album of bands like it

This miiight scratch your itch. I was checking Spotify a while back for the SMTIV OST. It's not there, but someone made a playlist of music that fits that description.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2kPgmAAETMnLqO3aDL7xKB?si=0QqXKacASiyHOmv0VIeJ3w

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

mandatory lesbian posted:

Please point me to the other videogames that have "war chanting" as a battle theme, I want to play them too

Shadow Hearts has a lot of it in general and just a really really strong soundtrack all-around, i mostly remember the drat chanting from the first battle theme in 3 but it's really all over all 3 soundtracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daDsm-anaEQ

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Zvahl posted:

Shadow Hearts has a lot of it in general and just a really really strong soundtrack all-around, i mostly remember the drat chanting from the first battle theme in 3 but it's really all over all 3 soundtracks

Lots of SMT4-esque tracks in those games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ph9UmZ4kwI

and if you've ever played it this poo poo is still stuck in your head to this day dont @ me you know it's true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMycRR_Z0Hs

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
chanting and percussion

we have both and no you cannot not have both

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irGCdR0rTM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf89XYPUslw

Zvahl fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 10, 2020

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know what would be cool?

You know how in Persona 4 you can get talked to at lunch as a 'hey, my social link is A. available and B. ready to rank up' reminder?

Why isn't there an option to let you sit at lunch with and talk to any school-related social link for a free minor conversation and some points?

I have fond memories of shooting the poo poo with friends at lunch.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

You can do that in P4 but you need to have brought a proper cooked lunch by preparing food when Nanako goes shopping. Turns out chit chat only counts for anything if you bribe your friends with your slick cooking skills.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/1281712789699153920

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And another cool name bites the dust. Minako :(

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Imagine the minor annoyance they could have avoided if they just gave us canon names in the first place.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Imagine if they were characters.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean yes ideally but at that point we may as well ask for like a pony for all the good it would do.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kotone is more character than most, she chopped a cop's neck and tied him up with rope

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Joker is already heavily straddling the line between being a character and a playe insert. He has a lot more personality in his body language. If he'd had voiced dialogue not much would have changed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Wark Say posted:

And another cool name bites the dust. Minako :(
Minako is her name in my heart.

Any idea how long it’ll take this event to come stateside? I’m exactly the kind of stupid Persona slut who’d be tempted back into PAD by this.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The fact they're even giving Kotone any attention should be praiseworthy considered a miracle.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 11, 2020

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Does Shadow Hearts Covenant work right in pcsx2 now? Last I tried the combat ring thing didn't work right.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Joker's a tremendous failure as both a character and a player insert, as a player insert he has basically no input in the group and gives the player no opportunity to engage and as a character he only has any discerning characteristics in the anime portions and splash screens.

in P5R I think they even got rid of some his more colourful battle lines, though like hell I'm gonna double check.

I don't really see the value in giving him and name and voice and script, since cinema-as-videogames is a growing trend that doesn't need extra converts, but it would definitely be better than what P5 actually did.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I’d disagree about P5Guy’s lack of personality. There are a solid few opportunities for bitter snark, or to be an absolute whiner weenie who’s almost literally being dragged into this.

Edit: “Nice spike.”

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Motto posted:

Imagine if they were characters.
I dunno, anime Narukami was kinda funny.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAH

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If nothing else, I want them to force a canon name so they don't have to come up with reasons to have people not refer to them by name in voiced dialogue.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
i'll stop calling her hamuko when i'm ten days dead

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If they want me to stop calling her Minako they probably shoulda named her ten years ago, that ship has sailed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I mean headphones guy was Minato Arisato for what, almost 8 years until the movies gave him the Makoto Yuki name?