Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It does have some really cool games but it's more a question of quantity than quality - if it didn't have PSP and PS1 compatibility I would struggle to find lots of games to put playtime into. It's also a LOT of ports as you can tell from all of us being excited for a PS2 RPG re-release, my most-played Vita game was Disgaea 3.

I know I was excited for FFX HD and Persona 4 myself. I still can't justify getting a Vita even with the P4 special edition preordered.

I'm at the point I might just cancel my preorder. Even with all the new content, I cannot justify the purchase for one game I already have on PS2. Sure I also have P3P and FFVII on my PSN account, but those play just as fine on my PSPGo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I don't think FFX HD actually exists, I mean how in the hell can they go a whole year without anything to show for it then announce a Kingdom Hearts HD collection and have trailers, screenshots and other crap to show on day 1 announcement?

But that's another thread entirely.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Policenaut posted:

I don't think FFX HD actually exists, I mean how in the hell can they go a whole year without anything to show for it then announce a Kingdom Hearts HD collection and have trailers, screenshots and other crap to show on day 1 announcement?

But that's another thread entirely.
Apparently KH HD started development first but it was just never announced.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Apparently KH HD started development first but it was just never announced.

So you're saying Square-Enix is still really, really bad about judging when and where to announce things? God drat, you'd think after 6 years of Versus 13 they would have learned a thing or two!

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
So here's a question that I think fits here- I love the poppy music style used in many of the Persona games, but I have no idea where to look to find albums like this / make a Pandora station / etc. Does anyone have some suggestions on where to start? Here are some examples of the exact style I'm talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpK2W0H0IOw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9CDfMhq6dM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYCC_nDgKCY

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So here's a new video for Persona 4 Golden. This one has the new Chie if you wanna take a listen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfjKe4zEqnU

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
So I started playing my first mainline SMT game ever, and it's Strange Journey. Usually, I have JRPGs. But for some reason I love the fast paced progression of the battles and the strategy involved, and it seems that the challenge is just right so far. Does it get really really frustrating later? Is there much grinding? I'm on Mission 6 in Antilia, to give you an idea.

Are there any more SMT first person dungeon crawlers in this vein as well? It's the perfect game to pick up and play when you don't have poo poo to do.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Cromlech posted:

So I started playing my first mainline SMT game ever, and it's Strange Journey. Usually, I have JRPGs. But for some reason I love the fast paced progression of the battles and the strategy involved, and it seems that the challenge is just right so far. Does it get really really frustrating later? Is there much grinding? I'm on Mission 6 in Antilia, to give you an idea.

Are there any more SMT first person dungeon crawlers in this vein as well? It's the perfect game to pick up and play when you don't have poo poo to do.

One word. Delphinus.

:unsmigghh:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Cromlech posted:

Yes.

Cromlech posted:

There are other first person SMT games, but none are really as challenging/frustrating as SJ. You might wanna check out Soul Hackers 3DS when it comes out in NA, or the Etrian Odyssey series.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Ah gently caress, I'm in for it aren't I.. Does it get frustrating in the really obtuse dungeon design better get a walkthrough" sense, or "you better grind for 2 hours and have the right fusions or you're hosed kid" sense?

Thanks for the suggestions too. The 3DS is looking appealing to me nowadays because of Soul Hackers, SMT4 (i know, its third person), and potential homebrew. Also feel free to list off the first person games, the lack of ballbusting challenge isn't exactly a minus in my books.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Cromlech posted:

Ah gently caress, I'm in for it aren't I.. Does it get frustrating in the really obtuse dungeon design better get a walkthrough" sense, or "you better grind for 2 hours and have the right fusions or you're hosed kid" sense?

A bit from column A, a bit from column B. But I guess since you can use passwords in SJ, column B isn't too big of a deal.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The former. Just do yourself a favor and don't feel hesitant to start looking at maps on GameFAQs once you're fed up with dungeon gimmicks. Love the game but I never would've finished it on my own.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Cromlech posted:

Have you ever had soap in your eyes while you take a shower? You try to rinse it out as best you can but it stings and you can't see. You slip a bit on the wet shower floor, groping for the water faucet. You manage to find it and try to turn it off, accidentally shift the temperature from hot to cold, and have to hunch down while cold water blasts your shoulders mercilessly while you struggle to get the water off.

You succeed and, still blinded, you stumble out of the shower, reach for a towel, and miss. You tumble forward, bang your head on a towel rack. Now you are blind, your head hurts, and you are soaking wet and cold. But you finally find your towel, and you scrub and scrub at your face. You can see--badly, still, everything is blurry and foggy but you can see, and you are so happy that you forget about your headache, your wetness, the chill, and your burning eyes. Because you can see where you could not see before.

That is Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

RentCavalier posted:

Have you ever had soap in your eyes while you take a shower? You try to rinse it out as best you can but it stings and you can't see. You slip a bit on the wet shower floor, groping for the water faucet. You manage to find it and try to turn it off, accidentally shift the temperature from hot to cold, and have to hunch down while cold water blasts your shoulders mercilessly while you struggle to get the water off.

You succeed and, still blinded, you stumble out of the shower, reach for a towel, and miss. You tumble forward, bang your head on a towel rack. Now you are blind, your head hurts, and you are soaking wet and cold. But you finally find your towel, and you scrub and scrub at your face. You can see--badly, still, everything is blurry and foggy but you can see, and you are so happy that you forget about your headache, your wetness, the chill, and your burning eyes. Because you can see where you could not see before.

That is Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Alright this was pretty awesome and I totally want to play it to completion now so I can feel really accomplished.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dogbutt posted:

One word. Delphinus.

You seem to have confused Delphinus with Eridanus. How strange.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Policenaut posted:

So here's a new video for Persona 4 Golden. This one has the new Chie if you wanna take a listen

Chie sounds exactly like the old one to me actually! The P4Arena one was pretty jarring but I can barely notice the difference here. Sounds good. I forgot how depressing Nanako is.

As for Strange Journey: I actually got to the end dungeon before I gave up. The dungeon gimmicks were getting to be too much, I really enjoyed the battles, questing, fusion and story but the walking around was such a pain in the rear end. I was on the Chaos path I think, I should Youtube the ending.

King of Solomon posted:

After about... Sector B, every SJ dungeon is you going "It can't possibly get worse than this right"

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 12, 2012

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

King of Solomon posted:

Was just about to post that. :argh:

Least the password system dulls some of the pain and you can just blast through most encounters.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Dogbutt posted:

One word. Delphinus.

Ahaha---

King of Solomon posted:

You fucker.

But yeah this. Delphinus was a slog Eridanus was true hell

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Policenaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfjKe4zEqnU

She's also on the english dub of the anime.

http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Persona-4/Info

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Arbitrary Coin posted:

But yeah this. Delphinus was a slog Eridanus was true hell

You know I didn't think Eridanus lived up to its reputation, but I may be a crazy person. I was in bizarrely good cheer and just cackled merrily at every new dose of BS. I just got to Gore at the beginning of Horologium and boy howdy is that a wakeup call. I may need to actually use passwords for this one.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Atlus USA kind of went nuts and released 16 of those Persona 4 Golden videos, all of which are dialogue sequences.

I'll leave a new Chie and Teddie one here because of the new voice over dealie, but you can see two for each character in the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtD6xGD9RII
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWj4p5UiUs8

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Teddie sounds fantastic, better than the original.

Chie sounds horrible.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

"There's different kinds of flour!"
:stare:
Yikes.

Teddie's is a lot better than it was in the first Arena trailer.

While we're on the subject of P4G:

:v:

satan is my oppa
Feb 18, 2012
They did the entire game with new Chie? Nnnnnoooo

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

While we're on the subject of P4G:

:v:

And the murderer got away as Yu wound up engrossed in the art of overgrown corn planting.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

SavageMessiah posted:

You know I didn't think Eridanus lived up to its reputation, but I may be a crazy person. I was in bizarrely good cheer and just cackled merrily at every new dose of BS. I just got to Gore at the beginning of Horologium and boy howdy is that a wakeup call. I may need to actually use passwords for this one.

Honestly I didn't think it was that bad either. As bullshit dungeons go SJ is relatively tame compared to the earlier titles. The original Devil Summoner was hellish in parts, and if you want real sadistic dungeon design nothing tops the Lake of Fire in the original MT. Or the dungeon where you're forced to deal with the "having your arm bitten off" status ailment in MT2.

Of course that's just with the SMT games; as dungeon crawlers in general go the worst SMT dungeon is like wading in the kiddie pool compared to the immense amounts of bullshit you'd have to get through in your typical Wizardry or Bard's Tale or the like.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Genpei Turtle posted:

Honestly I didn't think it was that bad either. As bullshit dungeons go SJ is relatively tame compared to the earlier titles. The original Devil Summoner was hellish in parts, and if you want real sadistic dungeon design nothing tops the Lake of Fire in the original MT. Or the dungeon where you're forced to deal with the "having your arm bitten off" status ailment in MT2.

Of course that's just with the SMT games; as dungeon crawlers in general go the worst SMT dungeon is like wading in the kiddie pool compared to the immense amounts of bullshit you'd have to get through in your typical Wizardry or Bard's Tale or the like.

Could you elaborate on that completely insane status effect you spoilered?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Atlus USA kind of went nuts and released 16 of those Persona 4 Golden videos, all of which are dialogue sequences.

I'll leave a new Chie and Teddie one here because of the new voice over dealie, but you can see two for each character in the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtD6xGD9RII
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWj4p5UiUs8

Goddamn Chie just sounds terrible.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Chie sounds fine, jeez. Teddie sounds like 90% the same, it's pretty impressive really.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So I'm the only one who thinks she's an improvement over the middle aged lady from before? (I eventually grew to like her voice, but it was always a bit jarring).

Northwest!
Aug 9, 2008
I don't really see why everyone has a problem with Chie considering her voice actor did Erica in Catherine and most liked her performance in that.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Northwest! posted:

I don't really see why everyone has a problem with Chie considering her voice actor did Erica in Catherine and most liked her performance in that.

Aha, is this our chance?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Alteisen posted:

You constantly take damage and you can't use your COMP (so you can't summon/dismiss demons or check the automap or anything).

The original Devil Summoner has a dungeon that teleports you around without any sound/graphic effect, so if you weren't observant you'd never know it was teleporting you around (and if even if you were paying attention, you might mistake being teleported with a graphic glitch or pop up). In the Lake of Fire you take constant damage in a game where you have extremely limited resources until you find a specific room and use the items you collected from the previous bosses (I hope you fought them all because the game certainly doesn't make you) to get an item that will make you immune to the damage.

Rinkles posted:

So I'm the only one who thinks she's an improvement over the middle aged lady from before? (I eventually grew to like her voice, but it was always a bit jarring).

Old Chie (...) wasn't great, but I'm not sure this is a lateral movement.

Northwest!
Aug 9, 2008

Blhue posted:

Aha, is this our chance?

But I'm talking about the new voice actor :confused:

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Alteisen posted:

OK, Megami Tensei II spoilers obviously:

In the original MT2 for Famicom, you find a plot-critical item inside the mouth of a stone gargoyle on the wall that is ominously caked with dried blood. It's a plot-critical item of course so you have to try and take it, at which point the stone gargoyle bites your arm off completely. You are then given the status ailment "LOSTARM" which is like a Poison status ailment in that your health drains with every step, except there's no way to cure it. In order to do anything, you have to schlep halfway across the city and through several enemy-infested mazes, constantly bleeding off HP, until you can find a doctor who can give you a cybernetic replacement. Once you have the cybernetic arm the ailment ends and you can get the plot-item. The gargoyle will still try to bite your arm off but will be unable to because it's now made of metal.

There's a similar, and even MORE insane status effect in the little-known Giten Megami Tensei, which is also extremely messed up in uncountable ways:

Early in the game your girlfriend is killed, torn to pieces, and completely devoured by a bunch of demons except for her head, which is taken off to the Big Bad for a trophy. You spend a good part of the rest of the game hunting down the demons that killed her and cutting them open to reclaim her body parts. Eventually you can collect enough of her body parts to revive her, but are still missing her heart when you do. She joins your party, but until you can find her heart she's not only constantly draining HP like "LOSTARM" but she's also constantly going into shock and being paralyzed because, y'know, she doesn't have a heart.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Rinkles posted:

I really don't get where this "Chie sounds like like an old lady" thing keeps coming from, I just don't hear it. She was fine, the only bad part of her whole performance was "Aha, is this our chance"

This new one on the other hand is terrible. Like almost Star Ocean 4 levels of bad here, she sounds completely unnatural and forced. I don't think I could listen to this for a whole game. :stare:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Suaimhneas posted:

This new one on the other hand is terrible. Like almost Star Ocean 4 levels of bad here, she sounds completely unnatural and forced. I don't think I could listen to this for a whole game. :stare:

A few of the new actress' lines sound stilted and her voice seems a bit inconsistent between the some of the video samples (I hadn't listened to all of them before), but I'm not hearing anything remotely SO4. I suspect having to presumably solo most of her lines may have affected her performance.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Rinkles posted:

A few of the new actress' lines sound stilted and her voice seems a bit inconsistent between the some of the video samples (I hadn't listened to all of them before), but I'm not hearing anything remotely SO4. I suspect having to presumably solo most of her lines may have affected her performance.

I assume they re-recorded everything, since they had to go through the trouble of getting new VA's.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Suaimhneas posted:

I really don't get where this "Chie sounds like like an old lady" thing keeps coming from, I just don't hear it. She was fine, the only bad part of her whole performance was "Aha, is this our chance"

Also she really was not good at emoting and just sounded flat for a character that's supposed to be hot blooded and hyper. I have to say, after Arena, this voice sounds much more of a fit to a character like Chie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

TurnipFritter posted:

"There's different kinds of flour!"
:stare:
Yikes.

Wait, what's wrong with that line? It sounds like she's poorly trying to hide the fact that she wasn't expecting that and awkwardly tries to make it into a statement.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 13, 2012