Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
i switched the voices to jpn and then muted them. its about sending a message

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
stux silencing asian voices

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
:pwn:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I play 99% of games with English voices, and always turn them on by default, so the dubs gotta be particularly bad to get me to swap over

Got to about the second conversation with Issamu before I selected Japanese VA

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The voice acting in this game is good, actually.

Chiaki & Hikawa in particular give some really good performances but I didn't have a problem with anyone throughout the whole game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

since getting into SMTIV I've noticed, and maybe it's just me, that hardcore fans of either SMT/Persona tend to think the other one is pure dogshit lol. Which I guess I understand since both ends have their strengths/weaknesses but I've noticed watching some of the mega SMT fans doing analysis vids bringing up how they think Persona 5 is dumpster garbage or something

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The voice acting in this game is good, actually.

Chiaki & Hikawa in particular give some really good performances but I didn't have a problem with anyone throughout the whole game.

:yeah:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's a reason Persona got its own thread, and it's cause Persona argument would rock this thread routinely

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I slightly prefer SMT but enjoy both very much. The differences really are not that great. Many SMT fans are probably just unhappy that Atlus has priotitized Persona so much in the past generation.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

DLC Inc posted:

since getting into SMTIV I've noticed, and maybe it's just me, that hardcore fans of either SMT/Persona tend to think the other one is pure dogshit lol

I don't think this is really true

I think SMT fans constantly exclaim how much they hate persona 5 and that its dogshit because of a range of reasons which are strictly never coherent, and Persona fans mostly don't even know SMT exists

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I don't think this is really true

I think SMT fans constantly exclaim how much they hate persona 5 and that its dogshit because of a range of reasons which are strictly never coherent, and Persona fans mostly don't even know SMT exists

fwiw I feel this way as well, just a common thread I've noticed with a few long videos about SMT stuff, though it also comes off as bitterness i.e. Persona 5 focus lasting many years and the stream of Dancing games at the expense of SMT releases. Though now it's obvious the tables finally turned and SMT5 is a big deal in terms of visibility as a big game for Switch, plus the game looks fantastic.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think the only way to heal the community and bridge the divide between persona and smt gamers is ultimately to make devil survivor 3

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think the only way to heal the community and bridge the divide between persona and smt gamers is ultimately to make devil survivor 3

Honestly I think I would be more excited about DeSu3 than SMT5. And that's not to say I'm not excited about SMT5, which I am

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

since getting into SMTIV I've noticed, and maybe it's just me, that hardcore fans of either SMT/Persona tend to think the other one is pure dogshit lol. Which I guess I understand since both ends have their strengths/weaknesses but I've noticed watching some of the mega SMT fans doing analysis vids bringing up how they think Persona 5 is dumpster garbage or something

I mean not really, most people play both. SMT fans usually just get annoyed at
a. How much persona dominates the conversation and
b. People who never played smt talking about it like it's this ultra niche kaizo hard rpg
c. That article from the casual mad that smtiv wasn't persona 4.5

I like both series quite a bit, but the discourse around persona games tends to be absolute poo poo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
While I admittedly haven't played that much of the series (Persona 3/4/5 and SMT 3/4/4A) P3 is far harder than any of the mainline SMTs I've played. Not having direct control of your party members is a huge deal.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
smt 4 is persona 4.5

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wovh784sz9M

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

SMT4A is Persona 4.5.5.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

While I admittedly haven't played that much of the series (Persona 3/4/5 and SMT 3/4/4A) P3 is far harder than any of the mainline SMTs I've played. Not having direct control of your party members is a huge deal.

I've played like...nearly every game in the series and yeah base P3 is probably top 3 hardest. I'm not sure if I would consider Strange Journey hard or just annoying bullshit but that one's up there too. Doing a run of P3P on Merciless where you don't control your party members would easily be the hardest SMT game

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It'd be up there, sure, but that's because Portable isn't designed around the party members being AI controlled. That the settings for it are all stripped way, way back is your hint there. It'd probably be about as hard as P4 on Expert using AI party members, since they have more-or-less the same way of handling it: very badly.

P3(FES) being designed for it specifically is what stops that from sucking. It's not perfect (it really struggles with some stuff; most apparent is dealing with ailments, especially poison) but it also doesn't make the game needlessly difficult or anything.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I had no idea that you couldn't control your party in P3, that sounds absolutely batshit, especially given that just one "party member" in smt4 can sometimes magically gently caress you by doing a lamebrain magic spell that is resisted by a boss

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You have limited control over them. On your turn you can give them broad orders like "focus on healing" "focus on damage" "try to hit weaknesses"

Of course this is reliant on getting a turn, and in P3 if you get knocked down you skip your next turn standing back up. So if the MC gets hit by a weakness or status, I hope your last orders are still good!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

I had no idea that you couldn't control your party in P3, that sounds absolutely batshit, especially given that just one "party member" in smt4 can sometimes magically gently caress you by doing a lamebrain magic spell that is resisted by a boss

They have actual ai controls in that game

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

DLC Inc posted:

Basically, you can usually think of MegaTen fanbase areas to be split between the Persona fanbase and the mainline fanbase. Fans of spinoffs are usually also mainline fans.

Within the Persona fanbase, you generally have:
  1. People that don't know mainline SMT even exists
  2. People that know mainline exist, but have never tried it
  3. People that are also like the mainline games at least to some extent
  4. People that have tried it out, and didn't really care for it
Size-wise, roughly in that order, though 3 and 4 might have their order reversed

Within the mainline fanbase, there is:
  1. People that also like the Persona games to some extent
  2. People that don't like the Persona games (with maybe an exception for 1 and 2)
  3. People whose life mission is to talk about how much they hate the Persona games and how masculine they are for liking SMT or something
Size is is also probably in that order, but group 3 being the loudest makes them very visible, and leads to most non-moderated (or lightly moderated) SMT places being kind of toxic.

That being said, within both fanbases, there can be some anger between them as games come out as both obviously want their own games to be made. Persona fans aware of the mainline generally wish there was more focus on Persona by Atlus, since they are the larger fanbase after all, while mainline fans will say there is already too much emphasis on Persona as it is, and dislike how much it dominates everything.

That being said, all of this is really online poo poo that 90% of consumers probably pay 0 attention to.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 23, 2021

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

P3 is largely designed around it with the AI commands you're given and how the game is tuned (P3P is apparently super easy thanks to that), but it'd appeal to me a lot more if it wasn't just a stripping down of an existing system.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The ai was fine in p3 tbh. Mitsuru's is apparently infamously bad but I've never used her in any of my playthroughs so I never had that problem.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Mitsuru is fine, the thing people complain about is not a problem of anything other than their own ignorance. The AI straight up knows things that you can't see when they do stuff or when you analyse Shadows. This includes whether or not certain ailments, like say Charm for example, can affect the target.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A classic

Mitsuru is really good because she has the highest damage in the party but her AI is bad, yeah

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

DLC Inc posted:

It sounds like it's bad, because it is, it's bad, but I totally see what they were going for. P4 is actually like a REALLY big shift in the tone of the Persona series and P5 replicates it, where the group of protagonists are all friends who hang out and have wacky adventures together. P3, you were all on a team, but none of you were friends. Heck, certain party members pretty openly did not get along well, and it was pretty explicit that the only thing that held the team together was everyone's individual motivations. Because of that, you'd get days where like, Junpei would say "hey, I'm bored, let's go to the Tartatrus" and Mitsuru would say "you guys can go, but I'm busy tonight" and just straight-up wouldn't go with you if you decided to visit the dungeon. Everyone had their own personal arc through the story where they would get their ultimate personas, not by hanging out with you. poo poo, some party members you couldn't even social link with. The approach to the MC's silent protagonist archetype made him kind of like, an outsider looking in to this group that would develop as friends over time. They followed you in combat not because you were their "leader" who everyone looked up to, you were just the strongest Persona-user on the team because you could swap. Because of that, it made sense that your team didn't take direct orders from you every turn, because that's kind of what the game was about.

e: a line that made me laugh out loud in P4 is when Yosuke says "Hey you just be the leader, I'm cool playing second banana" because in P3, there's an arc early on where Junpei is legit pissed that you're the leader because you're just kind of a personality-less sponge who just so happened to be the wild card so you're stronger than him. Two of the other party members are older than you have have been fighting shadows for several years at that point as well, and Yukari doesn't particularly like the MC either at first. So yeah, it would totally make sense that, in the fiction of the game if you tried to say "alright Junpei you cast Agi and then Yukari you're on heal duty this fight" they would say "uhhhh gently caress off I have a brain too thanks"

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 23, 2021

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It sounds like it's bad, because it is, it's bad, but I totally see what they were going for. P4 is actually like a REALLY big shift in the tone of the Persona series and P5 replicates it, where the group of protagonists are all friends who hang out and have wacky adventures together. P3, you were all on a team, but none of you were friends. Heck, certain party members pretty openly did not get along well, and it was pretty explicit that the only thing that held the team together was everyone's individual motivations. Because of that, you'd get days where like, Junpei would say "hey, I'm bored, let's go to the Tartatrus" and Mitsuru would say "you guys can go, but I'm busy tonight" and just straight-up wouldn't go with you if you decided to visit the dungeon. Everyone had their own personal arc through the story where they would get their ultimate personas, not by hanging out with you. poo poo, some party members you couldn't even social link with. The approach to the MC's silent protagonist archetype made him kind of like, an outsider looking in to this group that would develop as friends over time. They followed you in combat not because you were their "leader" who everyone looked up to, you were just the strongest Persona-user on the team because you could swap. Because of that, it made sense that your team didn't take direct orders from you every turn, because that's kind of what the game was about.

I was always sort of confused when I started playing Persona 4 due to people recommending it for years, and afterwards seeing what the previous 3 games were like and thinking "holy poo poo this tonal shift is insane." Series was so much darker and then suddenly transitions into a bunch of Jpop/funk aesthetics with pals being buds and eating steakburgers everyday. Legit jarring to go from Persona 5 to SMT4 where you bust open a door warning you NOT TO GO IN IF YOU SERVE GOD and then confront a horrific satanic manbull. I do really love the art and attitude styles of both so I'm not disappointed that Nintendo/Atlus looked at both franchises and picked the one where you kill god over the fun and peppy television dreambusters.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The final boss of P5 is the demiurge, modern persona isn't exactly light on occult themes itself

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The problem is that, like a lot of things in Persona 3, the idea is really half-baked and not implemented all that well.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
SMT's voice acting is always great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_rfs7fegTA

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Honestly I was kinda disappointed by how light on occult stuff even P3 was after seeing the trailers leading up to the game

like hey, does anyone remember this part of the game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPY4M1mzmUs

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
there were 3 smt games between persona 4 adn 5 idk if theyre picking one or the other

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

The final boss of P5 is the demiurge, modern persona isn't exactly light on occult themes itself

It feels very different in modern persona though, There's a huge divorce between the Demon world and the Real world that doesn't exist in most of the games.

It'd be really nice if they managed to make the next Persona a bit more urban fantasy, and a bit less like Code Lyoko

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I swear there's one guy in SMT4 who must voice like 5 or 6 main characters in the game and it sounds like Robin Atkin Downes. I'm wrong but I can't unhear it

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Honestly I was kinda disappointed by how light on occult stuff even P3 was after seeing the trailers leading up to the game

like hey, does anyone remember this part of the game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPY4M1mzmUs

I initially thought Persona 5 was going to be much darker when I kept seeing this ad for the game. Kind of tonally out of whack with the game imo

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The slave/emancipation thing was before they rebooted the game no? It probably was more of a match with the original backpacking incarnation

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
thats the entire theme and throughline of the mc though lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

e: a line that made me laugh out loud in P4 is when Yosuke says "Hey you just be the leader, I'm cool playing second banana" because in P3, there's an arc early on where Junpei is legit pissed that you're the leader because you're just kind of a personality-less sponge who just so happened to be the wild card so you're stronger than him. Two of the other party members are older than you have have been fighting shadows for several years at that point as well, and Yukari doesn't particularly like the MC either at first. So yeah, it would totally make sense that, in the fiction of the game if you tried to say "alright Junpei you cast Agi and then Yukari you're on heal duty this fight" they would say "uhhhh gently caress off I have a brain too thanks"

I will say that, even as The AI Control Defender as far as P3 goes, it would've made a ton of sense and be really cool to have manual control unlock as the final setting around like November at the latest. By then, Minato is respected and acknowledged as the leader, so it'd be a good way to tie that back into the gameplay. It kinda feels like they just forgot about the reason for it by then or something, though.

P5 has the same thing really with Joker's death being game over. That makes sense and is annoying but understandable. until suddenly the excuse is gone but it's still there.

MegaZeroX posted:

People whose life mission is to talk about how much they hate the Persona games and how masculine they are for liking SMT or something

The most nonsensical variant on this I've been seeing a lot lately is a minority of some real vocal people complaining about how SMT5 has gone and made the main series anime for the first time ever and it's all Persona's fault. Because as I'm sure we all know, nothing in SMT could ever be described even remotely along those lines at all until, I guess, P4 went and got popular.