Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gaius Marius posted:

There's already a devil summoner 3 a 4 and a 5 incoming

No wonder the world went to poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I didn't mean to come off as pedantic or arrogant. Sorry.

I'd like a third Raidou game too, I was actually surprised that they went back to the setting of Soul Hackers.

:same:

I miss the best cat ancestor Goto.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Honestly I think Soul Hackers would make a lot of thematic sense to go back to, especially now that we are fully ensconced into the information age and all of the epistemic craziness that has resulted from it.
Like, this might be a chance for Atlus to get back to thinking about interesting stuff again. But I'm still calling it a chance for a reason.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

https://twitter.com/theprinceofiris/status/1548104806455054336

finally a megaten protag that loves cracking open a cold one with the boys

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

does she require alcohol to recharge ala Bender Bending Rodriguez?

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
I'll admit that while playing P5 Strikers I was thinking about how gameplay-wise you could turn it into a new Raidou game and I kept wishing I could play that instead.

Sophie can stay though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

A Sinister Rap posted:

Sophie can stay though.

Her Showtime finishing with "oooooooooh..." gets me every time

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Imagine Raidou getting Showtime attacks where he teams up with Gotou

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

oh poo poo before i forget i should post my majin tensei manga rambley thoughts from discord here too or whatever

i wrote this up like immediately after i finished reading it on wed, also it was like 6 am (e: and i couldn't read like Any of the dialogue, so my understanding was Limited)

my rambling at 6 am posted:

pros:
i really like the like, 90s art style it feels like smth i would see in like rayearth or smth
from what i can tell, the chars are generally p fleshed out and cool, also totos such a troll lol
even mido has a bigger role!!
i lov the diff fashions 💃

thoughtz:
i like the Idea of giving the main char [atsuya in this] an actual reason to go on his quest but it feels a bit cliche for it to be because a loved one got damsel in distressed, tho also i am willing to acknowledge i probably missed a ton of plot stuff regarding this because, only vol 1s been tled
im not sure how to feel about mio (the magic using heroine in this) getting brainwashed(?) by lucifer [during the boss fight], i think it was to liven it up from being a straight punchy fight like the og ver and to give it some extra stakes but ehhhh kind of waves my hand around
on the other hand it owns they show mio as basically just being a walking magical nuke and i feel like her whole amnesia thing has more of a focus since theres actual writing for an extra 90% of the time in this adaptation
i feel like the pacing was kind of quick but again, the game is like 90% punch demons in big maps simulator 1994 before the game remembers to give you an Actual Plot like 80% through, so im not very plussed about trimming the fat
i think most of these notes are just going to be me going “what happened X or Y time like with orthrus or the pixie duo” because i couldn’t understand anything being said at all 😔
i think mio (atsuya's sister) could have had more screentime tbh, shes p offscreen for most of the actual plot but there were a few flashbacks with her so that might have fleshed her out, also im still like 80% sure that her and mio (the heroine) having the same name is a smt1 reference where gals are getting kidnapped who have the same name as whatever name u gave the heroine

contd...
basically everything with izanami and atsuya having a power spirit chilling in his body(??) i could not even tell what was going on there 😔
also what happened to our other demons like cerberus and our baby dragon friend and pixie duo [in the ending where the demon summoning program gets deleted]? i guess they’re just Chillin at midos place now??
actually wait another pro
i think making a lot of the downtime be at midos swanky rear end house was a really cool idea, i always thought they would be roughing it in the woods or staying over at some rando shrine or house
which i mean, they do a bit of the first one of those too (and a lil of the second one maybe?) but, i thought it was cool af
also wait one more question
so like, what happened with the rest of atsuyas vol 1 friends??? did they accept him back or….. hmmst mystery
also rip medusa, got adapted out 😔
[stated this before the big writeup but tbh i kind of forgot the comp was in the manga after like vol 1 because i forgot to reread vol 1 before jumping into the untled stuff, then the squad starts to get together and power up and stuff, also it looks like a armor glove in this and not in the smt4 way]
[also this bit was separate too but i wish there was some more crying or smth, i Love Feels and Drama in poo poo]

in conclusion it was Win and i really want scanlations of the rest now or for atlus' old manga to get officially tled at some point (also i noticed that the current scans for vol 1 are missing a author comic at the end and the booksleeve doodle, rip)

also like 3 days after i typed that up i realized rag got removed too, good gently caress that guy he blows

Booky fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 18, 2022

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
gently caress you for trying to put down on a good, helpful, and independent businessman.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Bogart posted:

gently caress you for trying to put down on a good, helpful, and independent businessman.

rag can die for all i care, bithc rear end loser who wants you to fill your whole 16 slot inventory with gems that don't do poo poo unless you have 3 of a specific set so you can get a sword or boots or whatever

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

on the way to a thought of "lmao remember the devil survivor 2 anime", i came to the realization that persona 3 and majin tensei 1 have the same structural issues regarding the plot in that nothing happens for like, 80% of it

in conclusion, lmao remember the devil survivor 2 anime?? that sure was A Thing

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
I know that I've seen the Devil Survivor 2 anime, but I can't say that I remember it.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Cool Ghost posted:

I know that I've seen the Devil Survivor 2 anime, but I can't say that I remember it.

yo cool ghost! :wave: i think we watched it together a few years back

literally the only parts of the desu2 anime i actually remember are the lucifer hug, the final boss getting skipped, the ending where main guy just starts crying, the questionable dub, and the bit where io(??) gets sidelined in her own little arc

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Booky posted:

yo cool ghost! :wave: i think we watched it together a few years back

literally the only parts of the desu2 anime i actually remember are the lucifer hug, the final boss getting skipped, the ending where main guy just starts crying, the questionable dub, and the bit where io(??) gets sidelined in her own little arc

All I've heard of it is that it really lays into Yamato being gay for you? Which is fine by me, I love Yamato, but the rest sure doesn't sound good.

Io is like, legit one of the Top 10 best characters in all of Megaten for me. The whole party is phenomenal apart from Keita. I guess nothing is perfect

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Io has a personality?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

NikkolasKing posted:

All I've heard of it is that it really lays into Yamato being gay for you? Which is fine by me, I love Yamato, but the rest sure doesn't sound good.

Io is like, legit one of the Top 10 best characters in all of Megaten for me. The whole party is phenomenal apart from Keita. I guess nothing is perfect

i think it does lean mad hard into yamato being gay but also its very funny they skip the final battle after The Lucifer Hug and the final bit is just the main guy crying about seeing yamato in a car(??), and also the pacing is whack because cramming a whole game into 12 eps was an Idea

on the io bit iirc (this was like 7? years ago) i read a tumblr post griping about ios bit in the anime with her getting possessed and needing to get bailed out or w/e and how she basically just gets Owned in the anime vs the game vers? its been a while tho and i never played desu2 so idk for sure how that bit goes in the games except i think if you beef it she explodes from Too Much Power instead of powering up from the possession on the good ver??

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yamato? The white retractor?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Booky posted:

i think it does lean mad hard into yamato being gay but also its very funny they skip the final battle after The Lucifer Hug and the final bit is just the main guy crying about seeing yamato in a car(??), and also the pacing is whack because cramming a whole game into 12 eps was an Idea

on the io bit iirc (this was like 7? years ago) i read a tumblr post griping about ios bit in the anime with her getting possessed and needing to get bailed out or w/e and how she basically just gets Owned in the anime vs the game vers? its been a while tho and i never played desu2 so idk for sure how that bit goes in the games except i think if you beef it she explodes from Too Much Power instead of powering up from the possession on the good ver??

I only beat DeSu 2 once and got Yamato's ending so my memory/knowledge isn't the best but In Yamato's route Io is possessed for a bit and you beat her up and it goes away. It's not something I consider integral to her character at all.

It's a fantastic game, though. Highly recommended.

HootTheOwl posted:

Yamato? The white retractor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zwg8KrjwNY

It was the most interesting thing SMTIV did, IMO. Bold and unexpected with unmatched atmosphere thanks to the music and everything.

Yamato would hate the White, though. He Chaos to the core.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

NikkolasKing posted:

I only beat DeSu 2 once and got Yamato's ending so my memory/knowledge isn't the best but In Yamato's route Io is possessed for a bit and you beat her up and it goes away. It's not something I consider integral to her character at all.

It's a fantastic game, though. Highly recommended.

i thinkkkk its like, before the route split? its like the deciding event for whether she lives or not like with some other chars or smth?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

She dies if her fate isn't maxed or level four or something. Or if you've already killed most of your party they'll take pity on you

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Booky posted:

i thinkkkk its like, before the route split? its like the deciding event for whether she lives or not like with some other chars or smth?

Gaius Marius posted:

She dies if her fate isn't maxed or level four or something. Or if you've already killed most of your party they'll take pity on you

Interesting, I def had maxed her FATE. Her and Joe were part of what really sold me on this game early on.

I've been meaning to replay it. It's been like 3 or 4 years already. Definitely a lot I missed or just plain don't remember from both DeSu games

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
From what I remember, it's actually really hard to kill her off in that event: you basically need to have ignored her entirely up to that point in order to not hit the Fate level requirement for her to survive. I think you might also need to see a specific conversation with her right before the branch point in order for her to live, but that one's pretty clearly signposted.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Yeah, DeSu2 gave very clear signposts to keep people alive. The first game was much more...cryptic about it.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The problem with the DeSu2 anime imo is that the game itself, despite the story, is pretty goofy which you could say it's an inconsistent tone, but the anime cuts out almost all of it and it ends up feeling like a depressing and cheap Evangelion clone, only gayer.

Mostly pointing this out cause the director was the same as the Persona 4 anime, whose comedy parts were great, and the Fate Carnival OVAs whoch are hilarious of you are a Fate fan and also Assassination Classroom? Yeah his comedy anime are usually better checking out.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What’s the verdict on SMT3 Hard mode? Worth it on a first playthru?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not really unless you're a series veteran veteran. The triple cost for items is just pure tedium. The extra difficulty might be nice, but the game is generally suitably difficult

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

fadam posted:

What’s the verdict on SMT3 Hard mode? Worth it on a first playthru?

Gaius Marius posted:

Not really unless you're a series veteran veteran. The triple cost for items is just pure tedium. The extra difficulty might be nice, but the game is generally suitably difficult

Yeah, it really is the item prices that are obscene and make me say go for Normal. The source of your abilities in the game are things called Magatamas and you have to buy many of them and with the 3x price tag, you'll probably just plain miss out on most of them unless you want to come to a screeching halt to grind.

I'm hardly a great Gamer (TM) but I still had plenty of trouble on Normal in my first run.

For the future you might also wanna try Nocturne HardType.
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3299/

Still waiting on a PC version but it's still a very, very good mod.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Toight, ty. Made it to Matador on normal and smoked his rear end but one of my demons was force immune.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhsltpQpeRs

Final Summoner's Guide for Soul Hackers 2.
At the Safe House, you can rest and to recovery HP and MP, as well as eat Meals for various bonus effects such as recovering HP/MP while you walk around in dungeons, and it's also where you obtain the DLC you purchased. You can purchase meals from restaurants and vending machines, but can only be eaten at the Safe House. Figue will also concoct new meals as you try different dishes.

There are two new shops, both of them are item shops.

There's a New Game+ feature that allows you to select what you want to carry over (Character Levels, COMP upgrades, Auto Map data, Money, Items, and Fusion Unlocks), NG+ also features new personal events and new requests.

Very Hard difficulty will be released as free DLC option, as per usual.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Gaius Marius posted:

If you're playing the HD remake, you can switch difficulty in the menu any time so you can play on Hard but swap back to Normal for shopping, then bump it back up to Hard when you're done. No shame in that. :colbert:

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Lotus Aura posted:

If you're playing the HD remake, you can switch difficulty in the menu any time so you can play on Hard but swap back to Normal for shopping, then bump it back up to Hard when you're done. No shame in that. :colbert:

Or you can shell out about 5 dollars for a macca farming map dlc.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

In the PS2 version I just ended up selling the Bead Chains/Somas I got from cache cubes/full kagutsuchi mystic chests since I almost never end up using them and fetch a good price, doing that and getting the prize money from traversing the cursed corridor in the 2nd kalpa of the Labyrinth makes it significantly less painful to afford the magatama in Hard mode.

Petiso fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 20, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lotus Aura posted:

I started up original Persona 4 out of curiosity and apparently it locks you into a difficulty right at the start, although it warns you as such.

I'm not sure when difficulty levels being customizable mid game was a thing. It wasn't even in P4G many years after P4. I know you can swap around the two difficulty levels in Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker but maybe that was in the original, too.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I started up original Persona 4 out of curiosity and apparently it locks you into a difficulty right at the start, although it warns you as such.

I'm not sure when difficulty levels being customizable mid game was a thing. It wasn't even in P4G many years after P4. I know you can swap around the two difficulty levels in Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker but maybe that was in the original, too.

All SMT games that offer a difficulty level lock you into that difficulty for the run, aside from IV/IV:A/V and the Maniax rerelease of III.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
V doesn't have a hard lock but prevents you from doing Hard after starting the game on any other difficulty.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Also, P4G on Vita didn't let you do mid-run difficulty option switching until NG+, but the PC port has it available from the start.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

smt v does let u go down to normal after u start on hard but then u can't go back up

why, idk

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Because you don't deserve to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Booky posted:

smt v does let u go down to normal after u start on hard but then u can't go back up

why, idk

It is to prevent people from just constantly swapping difficulties which kinda defeats the point of hard. In games with cheevos it also is there explicitly to lock you out of hard mode cheevos.