Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The big thing actually is that you need to be careful with how you build the MC since if you pass up a skill or overwrite it you can't ever get it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The big thing actually is that you need to be careful with how you build the MC since if you pass up a skill or overwrite it you can't ever get it again.

Any particular skills/builds to watch out for?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Physical is better if you're going to do the true demon ending (which you should it has the most content) so keeping things like Focus which you can get early is the only real real "never get rid of this" skill I can think of until the mid/late game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I’m going to play SMT3 after putting it off forever. How brutal is it coming from SMTV? Planning to play on normal

Normal ain't too bad, especially if you know the basics of Press Turn.

As noted, you wanna stick to a theme. Like, some Magatamas (the things which gives you new skills/stat buffs) might give you an elemental boost skill so make sure to look out for and hold onto that if you have good elemental skills of that type. Fairly early on you can buy a Magatama which gives you a medium strength hit all Force spell and also has Force Boost on the same Magatama. In my first run, I spammed this and destroyed most everything.
e:

amigolupus posted:

Early on in the game, Demi-Fiend can get a Magatama that teaches him Tornado, a Heavy-damage skill that targets random enemies, so you may be tempted to stick with that. However, he gets access to an exclusive single-target mega-damage fire spell later in the game, so you may consider setting aside one slot for it and another for Fire Boost.

This person remembered more precisely than me. lol

But physical is the way to go if you wanna defeat the final boss of the True Demon Ending. Otherwise it takes forever.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Physical is better if you're going to do the true demon ending (which you should it has the most content) so keeping things like Focus which you can get early is the only real real "never get rid of this" skill I can think of until the mid/late game.

It should be noted you can do everything in the TDE route but so long as you don't go through a final door, you won't get this ending. You don't miss much content this way.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 6, 2022

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Any particular skills/builds to watch out for?

Early on in the game, Demi-Fiend can get a Magatama that teaches him Tornado, a Heavy-damage skill that targets random enemies, so you may be tempted to stick with that. However, he gets access to an exclusive single-target mega-damage fire spell later in the game, so you may consider setting aside one slot for it and another for Fire Boost.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
no matter what build I do I always have Fog Breath on my Demi Fiend, move is ridiculously useful until pretty late in the game

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

hatty posted:

no matter what build I do I always have Fog Breath on my Demi Fiend, move is ridiculously useful until pretty late in the game

I don't think it ever stops being good.

The only buff/debuff I notice myself dropping by the end is Rakukaja. I recorded some of my last run and it hit me that I didn't use it once in the final dungeon or the dungeon before. I don't know precisely when it was no longer needed.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
There's something about not getting rid of your first demon too, right? Like you can fuse it but don't release it or its descendants? Check Before I Play.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SpiderLink posted:

There's something about not getting rid of your first demon too, right? Like you can fuse it but don't release it or its descendants? Check Before I Play.

Yes, you get a Pixie and if you go through the optional Labyrinth of Amala and hold onto whatever demon you fused her into, you get a reward in either the Fourth or Fifth Kalpa.

I honestly don't like the Labyrinth much but for a first run, you might as well try it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

That pixie and any descendants can be used in sacrifice fusions as well, so long as they aren't the sacrificed demon. If I recall right, the game also auto places any descendants at the top of your demon stock.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Never fuse Pixie and level her up all the way into Queen Mab, this is the correct way of things.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Cheers, thanks everyone!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Here's something I always wondered about Nocturne.

Say an enemy maxes out a stat like Hit/Eva. Then I Fog Breath them twice. Then they use Dekunda. Does that put them back at max Hit/Eva?

I really do appreciate the later games keeping track of enemy buffed/debuffed status.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's been forever since I played Nocturne specifically, but generally speaking stat buffs and debuffs always cancel each other out rather than existing independently. It's not like there is latent hit buff that they keep while debuffed, nor is there a separate "Fog Breath" debuff to be removed. They just end up at -2 ATK and +1 Hit or whatever. And Dekunda simply brings every stat that's negative back to zero. So no, their Hit/Eva would not go up again.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

NikkolasKing posted:

Here's something I always wondered about Nocturne.

Say an enemy maxes out a stat like Hit/Eva. Then I Fog Breath them twice. Then they use Dekunda. Does that put them back at max Hit/Eva?

I really do appreciate the later games keeping track of enemy buffed/debuffed status.

i think it sets it to 0

like maxed out is 4 stages, then -2 x 2 is -4, and then dekunda sets it to 0?

wait but then it would already be 0.... because 4 + -4 equals 0, so then i guess the ai just uses dekunda anyways??

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Booky posted:

i think it sets it to 0

like maxed out is 4 stages, then -2 x 2 is -4, and then dekunda sets it to 0?

wait but then it would already be 0.... because 4 + -4 equals 0, so then i guess the ai just uses dekunda anyways??

Yeah, exactly. The AI will definitely use Dekunda when all I've done is de-buff them and it confused me. I figured this was the case, that it just reset things to 0, but I had no way to really check.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I’m going to play SMT3 after putting it off forever. How brutal is it coming from SMTV? Planning to play on normal

this is more or less exactly what i did and nocturne isn't that hard once you're passed the first quarter/third or so of the game, it's got the typical SMT difficulty curve where it starts out very hard and gets easier and easier as your team gets access to stronger stuff. you're gonna die X amount of times to early game stuff but then this gets rarer and rarer until you're basically only in danger of instant death spells or bosses doing weird things.

i played physical, used uhh heavenly shot i think it's called, from level 40-something all the way through to the final secret boss, with Focus and Pierce it's really good through the whole game. there's apparently another physical ability you can get at very high levels but didn't seem necessary on normal at all, and i finished the game at like level 70.

the dungeons will cause irreparable mental damage to your psyche though.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah, exactly. The AI will definitely use Dekunda when all I've done is de-buff them and it confused me. I figured this was the case, that it just reset things to 0, but I had no way to really check.

People have recorded things as demons using Dekunda twice in succession (see Surt at 2:40 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4RyrUkIYKs&t=160s) so don't trust the AI is necessary making sense, haha.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also an important thing about Nocturne is that you should never hesitate to use normal attacks, even with your mage PC or demons.

In my last run, I didn't put a single point into Strength but my physical attacks still did decent damage from start to finish. There's a certain infamous boss early on which I probably made harder on myself in my first run because I just kept trying to use special attacks. You can absolutely punch him to death, even with your healer.

This is so very different from Persona or even other Megaten games where normal attacks are totally worthless, especially by the end.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

NikkolasKing posted:

Also an important thing about Nocturne is that you should never hesitate to use normal attacks, even with your mage PC or demons.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

In my last run, I didn't put a single point into Strength but my physical attacks still did decent damage from start to finish. There's a certain infamous boss early on which I probably made harder on myself in my first run because I just kept trying to use special attacks. You can absolutely punch him to death, even with your healer.

This is so very different from Persona or even other Megaten games where normal attacks are totally worthless, especially by the end.

:black101:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heads up that the Soul Hackers 2 patch with quality of life changes went up, and the game went on sale on PS4/PS5 for the first time. The patient gamer stays winning.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

New Strange Journey lookin' good.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Srice posted:

Heads up that the Soul Hackers 2 patch with quality of life changes went up, and the game went on sale on PS4/PS5 for the first time. The patient gamer stays winning.

It's part of the Xbox Black Friday sale as well. Base game is 42 USD, Digital Premium is 63 (both 30% off) Cross-buy and cross-save with Windows store.

Same thing for Persona 5 Royal for $45, and it's cloud streamable if you have Game Pass Ultimate.

I bought both at launch cause I'm a mark though :frogc00l:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SpiderLink posted:

It's part of the Xbox Black Friday sale as well. Base game is 42 USD, Digital Premium is 63 (both 30% off) Cross-buy and cross-save with Windows store.

Same thing for Persona 5 Royal for $45, and it's cloud streamable if you have Game Pass Ultimate.

I bought both at launch cause I'm a mark though :frogc00l:

This is a good deal for P5:R but I'm having issues with mods on Game Pass so I'm waiting for a Steam sales....one day.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlJrEwEMIpM

I knew he had died, I didn't know he had done this.
https://animevoiceover.fandom.com/wiki/William_Frederick_Knight

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

dumb question but how do random encounters work in SMT3? I see the compass but it seems like whatever direction I go I still get attacked

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think it's just straight up random and the compass flash just indicates how "soon" one is

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah it's "enemies jump you at random out of the aether". The flashy bit just shows you how close you in are in terms of time to getting jumped, not distance.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it works like etrian odyssey. you can't avoid the random encounters the compass is just telling you how soon a fight will happen/how likely one will happen. it goes up as you take steps.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Huh, I never noticed this in any of my runs. I guess it doesn't really matter.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Its an indicator to help up if you haven't or try to beeline to a door before the trigger goes off

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

ah got it, thanks all.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Beat Matador after a fair few tries. He lived up to the hype! I wasn’t high enough to fuse Ame-no-Uzume so I had to get lucky.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think it's just straight up random and the compass flash just indicates how "soon" one is

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Yeah it's "enemies jump you at random out of the aether". The flashy bit just shows you how close you in are in terms of time to getting jumped, not distance.

Endorph posted:

it works like etrian odyssey. you can't avoid the random encounters the compass is just telling you how soon a fight will happen/how likely one will happen. it goes up as you take steps.

In Training posted:

Its an indicator to help up if you haven't or try to beeline to a door before the trigger goes off

Whoa wtf, I didn't know this either.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Beat Matador after a fair few tries. He lived up to the hype! I wasn’t high enough to fuse Ame-no-Uzume so I had to get lucky.

Bes sure to report on anything else you find interesting or notable!

Matador is a lot of fun. He absolutely does live up to the hype with not just his difficulty but the atmosphere surrounding his fight.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Finally got around to beating Soul Hackers.
It felt like such a weird game; as if it was made for the Switch or even mobile, but with a lot of thought put into the characters.

The dungeons felt like they went back and forth between Pretty Good and boring...and then I end the game in the mid-60s.

I enjoyed my time, but it felt wildly uneven.

I saw there's extra story DLC, but that it starts around level 20. Is it worth getting and going back to play?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

LaSquida posted:

Finally got around to beating Soul Hackers.
It felt like such a weird game; as if it was made for the Switch or even mobile, but with a lot of thought put into the characters.

Assuming you mean 2, I think that's a side effect of the generic Unity game feel and Atlus not being familiar enough with the engine yet to fully make it their own.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I've been playing Persona 5 Royal, following a guide that recommends having an appropriate Persona for Confidant interactions, and I have a small question.

Do I need to have the Persona selected, or just in my list of six? I got the little note that said "Thanks to the Chariot Persona Agathion" despite having Hierophant Berith equipped, so I suspect it's just to be on the list, but I'd hate to mess up on that assumption

VV: Awesome, bit less to worry about :D

Enjoying it very much so far, I was worried about needing to juggle a lot, but the guide helps keep me on track and not miss out.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it just needs to be in your "party"