Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Fooley posted:

Is there ever a way to regain MP during a battle in Devil Survivor?

Learn Drain, it's actually a very-useful attack move if you have a high Magic stat. There are also species abilities like "Sacrifice" and "Tyranny" that will recover some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I have strong feelings about [video game girlfriend]!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

They really need to stop letting the music guy directing video games. I love the original games, but he doesn't really do that great of a job bringing them up to speed.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

That or they can go for the more traditional plot structure of the previous games and skip the S. Link system.

It's more likely that they'll keep the S. Link system, though. One can hope that maybe they'll try something different this next time.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Check it out, Teddie and Naoto are in Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena

Teddie even has an M. Bison Psycho Crusher :swoon:

I'm glad they used the casual clothes outfit, those plaid trousers are awesome.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I felt like Naoto fit quite nicely into the character theme of reversing popular Japanese TV tropes and conceptions in P4.

Plus, her critical hits in battle were badass as gently caress.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Too bad they keep using that really awful guy to design the characters for DS, because otherwise i'd be a lot more excited for it.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Schlegel Mach posted:

Those aren't tits. That girl has obviously stuffed balloons in her shirt in an attempt to float away and escape the demons.

Goddamn whoever looked at that design and gave the go-ahead is the worst.

And they put in a social link system.

Game's basically Persona 3.

They saw that they got a famous designer and didn't care. Seriously, the guy has done a lot of work and it's all pretty terrible in the exact same way.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Even the official website for Devil Survivor 2 is embarrassed by Hinako's character design:

God I hate the artist for the series; his work in other areas isn't all that good, either. For a famous named artist, he really fucks up anatomy something fierce.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Justice posted:

Fame and talent aren't always so comfy together.

In my brain, I know this; but in my heart, it's a meritocracy.

Seriously the girl in that picture has a midsection made of silly-putty being stretched by gravitational force.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Been playing DS2 and do far I like the writing of the characters, whereas the art is lovely, but that's that particular artist for you; it's the same in everything he has ever done. Joe is my favorite, even though he isn't that great in battle.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Jesus christ the Yamato battle. He can drain me to death because of magic yang alone, fuuuuck.

Guess i'm gonna have to grind to level 70, gently caress. And here I thought having all my demons having null/repel phys, and all strong or more to every element would be enough.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I fused a Titania that was Null or Reflect everything. I think that's pretty broken (sans her stupid recarmloss spell).

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

I did the same thing with the Purple Mirror and Metatron.

It's beautiful, especially when you can slap Anti-Almighty, Phys Repel, and Samarecarm on whatever human is leading that unit. It's all but invincible. :allears:

Oh drat, there's an anti-almighty ability? That's gonna be fun.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

Purple Mirror needs only two passives to max out its reflection list. Give it Hero Soul.

Thus, you no longer need to give your team leader anything but Anti-Almighty, because Hero Soul will cover it.

---

As for Titania with bad skills... use a Release Command addon after either a mitama fusion or a rank down/rank up combination.

I'll have to check out that Hero soul combo, that is a pretty killer idea. Is Hero Soul in the "support" add-on?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The last boss was really easy in comparison to Yamato's battle. The only other ending I'd be interested in pursuing would be the best Daichi ending that requires fate 4 with every character which would require me to actually spend time with Keita and seriously gently caress that guy.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Otome was a pretty pleasant character, I think. I ended up enjoying her side of things a lot because her issues weren't so heavy.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment screenshots

Mostly old ones except for the anime cutscene pictures.

P5's main character needs to be that cat.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

Yep, pretty much.

The more the game goes on, the more you start noticing the uncomfortable similarities to Evangelion, too.

Especially since they hired the artist who designed some of the angels for Eva to design the septentriones.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

If that turns out to be true, I'll be happy!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

gyrobot posted:

The Chaos ending makes up for it however.

But yeah, I wish Kaneko is the designer for the next persona game. Soejima isn't bad mind you, but people love Soejima and Suzuhito's designs more than Kaneko's

I thought people were horrified by Suzuhito's designs. At least maybe I assumed people who had eyes did.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Nessa posted:

Sorry, didn't mean to put words into your mouth.

What exactly is it about the art style that you don't like? From what I've seen, it's nearly the exact same style Suzuhito's.

I'm more used to American comic art, where the difference between artists can be rather vast and obvious.

I wouldn't say that they're nearly exact at all. Soejima has a better grasp of anatomy and plastic forms, whereas Suzuhito is a lot more flat and anime-like (anime-like meaning it's more animation-friendly because it is simplified, rather than manga or game concept art).

I don't think unique stylization is exclusive to American comic art.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Policenaut posted:

So here's a bunch of screenshots of the newest announced Persona 4 Golden content

Rise's new Persona can do a bunch of new things like join in on All-Out Attacks, heal people, and pick them up from knock down. Then there's some pictures of the bug catching and fishing games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwoENTg7ZGI

And this is a compilation video of the 4 most recent clips Atlus released to show off some newer content. You've got some new Quest dialogue (in Japanese), Yosuke dressed up as a furry, Galactic Punt: Bike Edition, and fusing some of those Mitama monsters into "Neko Shogun"

Considering it's Japan, I would not be surprised if there is a furry edition for all the characters.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Hey, at least it's not Suzuhito Yasuda (Devil Survivor guy). Well, I know this is more about the demons, but still that needs to be said anyway.

God why does that man keep getting work? He's terrible and his characters are just slight variations of each other.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Thinking of the Persona designs from 1-2, they often had that tokusatsu look to them, and having these new designs sorta fits for that.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

DeathBySpoon posted:

I got bored and decided to do a quick cover of I'll Face Myself, so I figured I may as well post it here:

Dang, great job on it, man!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Radish posted:

I think short haired Baufu looked cooler but he's an awesome dude either way. The entire P2 EP cast is the best.

My favorite moment was when you find out that Katsuya wanted to be a pastry chef.

It's even cuter when you find out why he wanted to become one; in an interview with the writer, he said that Katsuya used to love making Fruche (a kind of fruit pudding dessert) for Tatsuya when they were kids and liked making his brother happy. Katsuya is the most adorable character in the series.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think I tried the mandatory Dante fight twice, but I had no problem against him at all in the Labyrinth of Amala.

The loving chase sequence with him was a horrible decision on Atlus' part.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I'd love to play DDS on Vita or some other portable. Been wanting to replay that game for a while, but haven't felt like pulling out my PS2 to play it (since PS3s can't play PS2 games unless you have an older model).

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Lazy Programming posted:

The worst person related to SMT is the character artist for Devil Survivor.

I think we got a winner here. There's no good reason that the guy keeps getting character design work.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

If you've ever seen one of his art books, of which he has many (against all decency and standards), you'll notice that his anatomy is hilariously terrible and that his design ideas are really uninspired mix-matching of repeating features.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Wasn't there an interview where Soejima said he was submitting sketches for the P5 project?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Decided to replay DDS (using my new cycle from years ago, I'm not gonna grind the drat mantra grid again for this one). I forgot how great the game looked, and how well it translated Kaneko's style to CG. I would absolutely love an HD remake of it.

Anybody else think the US version's opening song is better than the original Japanese? Because, drat, they picked something that fits the mood and editing of the footage perfectly.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Rinkles posted:

You sort of have to respect modern Atlus for not succumbing to the temptation of covering up those few pixels or giving Mara a hat. A big sombrero hat.

Pretty sure that's a condom. Teach kids about safe sex.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I found that demon negotiation was only important early on, and that I used the compendium for everything else.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Hell, even Imagine had a tech-brace. I just assumed it was an SMT tradition.

Yeah, Nocturne was the aberration from the norm for the series.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Booky posted:

Also, are boots even made that big?

Some engineer boots get pretty high, but I don't think you'll find them like that unless you have a wacky couture designer.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Yasuda Suzuhito is one of the biggest hacks out there in character design, but for some reason he has successfully become a brand-name so people want to attach his name and horrible designs to their projects.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The quality of this seems pretty good, which is a relief. The changes to it don't really bother me all that much, even though I really want Joe to be in it earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

There was only a 1-2% chance of a fusion accident, and my very first fusion in this game ever results in an accident.