Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

It is coming out, just with a nebulous "2012" release date.

And am I the only one who personally hopes they try and get the female characters in DS2 "under control", as it were, for the international release? I mean I know Japan has always struggled a little bit with balanced depictions of women (and oddly, previous SMT games have often been very good about this), but the art for the girls and the focus on their chests (and their absurd size therein) really borders on the creepily fetishistic to the point of being distracting.

That was probably the :goonsay:iest thing I've posted in the past six months but goddammit that's been bugging me ever since they revealed more than a single female character for that game.

I wish they would but I really doubt they will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mio Bison posted:

If anyone who wants to claim Nocturne's difficulty is understated could please answer the following questions I'd be appreciative:

1) Did you do your first runthrough on normal?
2) Did you use a FAQ?
3) Do you have to hurt yourself to feel joy?

I play just about everything and Nocturne on Hard is the only game that has ever made me throw a controller, it's not technically difficult in that anyone can finish it with enough willpower but the random cruelty that game is willing to dish out to you is seriously messed up

I played on Normal my first time but even Hard wasn't that bad. Of course, I actually use buff and debuff spells in video games which may have an impact.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ideally you want a team of the same alignment, but in the long run, it's better to have a good demon of an opposing alignment then a mediocre demon of the same alignment. Try to stick within your alignment but don't be afraid to branch out, although when going into boss fights you'll probably want as many similarly-aligned guys as possible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm most disappointed that the sprites are still static. There's no excuse for that.

HarveyVdarski posted:

You found that difficult? Really? I mean Atsuro basically skullfucks those teams with his agi/zio combo. Yuzu is backing up for heals and the hero is a tank.

At least so far I have found that to be the case. So has anyone here got any good suggestions for a MAG build? I want to be a fire-slinging powerhouse of death.

Get to Strength 8 Mag 10. From there boost Mag with a point in Agility every 2-3 points of magic. Equip Drain and Holy Dance. You win at magic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Overclocked so far is staggeringly unimpressive as a port. Way sub-FES. I'll see how the 8th day is but I'm not excited.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Grimace posted:

The best method is how Bioware does their protagonists, where you choose from a list of answers (not unlike Persona games) but then the character has its own voice and replies based on how you yourself answered. There's no reason why Atlus can't do this for P5, but there's no reason to say they will. :(

A lot of people hate this stuff though and would rather their protagonist not speak for them. I don't necessarily agree but there are people who absolutely loathe their main characters speaking. I've seen people get angry over the fact that Vincent in Catherine has a defined personality instead of the P4 style.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

All the new demons (at least the ones I saw) were all around the 70~ range. I never even saw one (although I did have the option to fuse one or two) outside the 8th day so I think it's just relegated to there. They seem to be made for the game as well. (or at least haven't appeared in the more recent games like Nocturne, DDS, etc) Although I wouldn't say any that I encountered were really interesting or anything. Just heavy magic and phys hitters without any neat tricks really.

There are new moves too, but they're mostly pretty bland. I'd also bet cash every single one is in Devil Survivor 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

For those curious about the Law 8th day in DS:

The lockdown is lifted and the government and Angels begin to work on getting rid of the remaining COMPs. Anyone who has committed a serious sin gets a "Brand of Sin" (replacing the Death Clock) and gets smote by angels. The protagonist can attempt to redeem these people before they get smote. Eventually, you encounter Honda trying to break free of the lockdown. Despite the fact that protagonist is the King of Bel, a mysterious voice offers Honda power and grants him Susano-o.

You fight Honda and find out that the Creator God of Japan is pissed at the protagonist's God trying to take his land. He offers you a deal. He'll abdicate Japan to you if you can complete his test. Fail and he'll destroy Japan and everyone in it and make it over from scratch. His test: Find Cain and make him understand the significance of what he did and feel regret. You find Naoya and talk to him and then are forced to find out more about the story of Cain from various sources. One is Honda (whose son died while he was in lockdown and who is basically suicidal) and a few other sources. Eventually, you confront Naoya and have a talkdown with him, but he leaves.

You go to fight the Creator God but he is immortal due to his "mother's" power resurrecting him instantly. Kill him twice and Naoya/Cain shows up and goes "gently caress ya'll, I'm gonna protect Abel this time," and blocks the god's respawning. You kick his rear end a final time, he abdicates and Japan becomes the sole property of God. Crime falls to less then 2% and all COMPs are destroyed.

The rest of the team remains in Japan while the protagonist travels to other lands where it is implied he'll have to battle their deities as well. Naoya says he'll be watching to see if the protagonist can change the world or is just a pawn.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Afterwards they will begin by remaking Persona 1 over again. Persona 5 will never be released.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

ARC SYSTEM WORKS MAKING PERSONA 4 FIGHTING GAME

2D fighting games published by Arc System Works and Atlas.
The arcade version is running in the spring of 2012, will be released in the summer of 2012 Xbox360 and PS3.

- "Persona 4" story describing the incident that occurred two months after the
 bear → sponsored (?) to "P-1 Grand Prix" will appear in a wrestling program
development • "Bray Blue Team"
- "4" In addition to "3" character from the race
known characters • Current
 hunger Yu (Izanagi) Chie Satonaka / (Tomoe) /
 Yosuke Hanamura (Jiraiya) / Aegis (Athena) / current development of the next title numbering preparation for completion. Mr. Katsura Hashino director, character designer Chengji Mr. Soejima, main composer in charge of Mr. Shoji Meguro.

What the loving poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What the hell about Persona 4 made them suddenly decide to give it an anime, a Vita port and a loving fighting game all at once?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Thanks. I take it that means you guys got DS Overclocked well ahead of time and/or was there very little to localize for the new release?

Still, really happy 'bout this.

Overclocked only has a handful of new content, so it probably was (while still not significant), not quite the same as translating an entire second story mode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baalster posted:

Also, isn't the fighting game supposed to be within Persona canon? Since the Persona team is working very closely with ArcSys, I don't see Shinjiro making it into the game.

Shinjiro can survive in the female MC version of Persona 3 PSP. That's pretty much all the excuse they would need if they make any references to the P3 main character gender-neutral.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My only real problem with Devil Survivor's system is that the time it takes to break the game is identical to the time it takes you to get Holy Dance or Drain with the fusion system. I wouldn't mind if they kept it but increased the limitations on what you can carry over so every single demon didn't end up with the same identical movelist of Awesome Moves. Even if you didn't have something like Holy Dance it still would be a very limited selection.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is sort of hard to picture every fight between Yosuke and Chie not ending with Yosuke on the ground clutching his recently kicked balls.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to admit, I'm kind of creeped out that "Six year old standing completely unremarkably in a towel" somehow is coming across as sexual to people. I guess I'm just not seeing this immense fanservice based on the screenshot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FINALmasa posted:

Can anyone explain exactly what's going on in the bath house scenes? I assume they're actually naked and the towels are just censorship, but is everything else just a loving lie? I get that it's a common trope for the dudes to be accidental perverts or whatever, so I can only guess they don't REALLY divide it up into male hours and female hours.

According to friends who've actually been to them, they're not really this big weird deal. Some are segregated and some are communal and it's really only kind of weirdos who make a big deal over it because most people just want to enjoy a nice warm relaxing social environment. Sort of like a sauna is here. Some places do have different hours for different sexes and such, that isn't made up but to my understanding they're pretty drat rare. The towels thing also apparently depends on the place you go although I know less about that.

Literally the only person I know who went to Japan and made a big deal out of going to a hot spring was a gigantic goony goon who freaked out at the thought of being naked around other men and refused to go in and instead sat in the car for the entire time.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 1, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

This entire thing is making me super-grumpy. I guess I'm just annoyed to see another game company almost perfectly follow Square's path post-FFVII.

If games like Radiant Historia, Etrian Odyssey Strange Journey and the gameplay parts of Catherine are "following Square's path" then I'll be perfectly happy with them to continue that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

P3 and P4 require tons of grinding. You have to grind out your stats and SLink experience. All those "You spent the evening studying!" and "You and (Character) spent the afternoon talking. You feel like your relationship will improve soon!" messages? That's grinding. (But it's totally cool to prefer one type of grinding to another, so don't sweat it!)

That is not grinding in the slightest. It's at best a five second message that advances a day of your time and it is part of a normal action you take during a day, not something that slows the pace of the game down in any way. It's a gameplay mechanic where you have to manage the time you spend on certain goals for the greatest effect.

Grinding is generally considered as stopping forward advancement in order to grind levels/gold/experience/whatever in order to gain power for an upcoming challenge. Otherwise, grinding would be exactly the same as playing the drat game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Cool, if that's the case, then Persona 2 doesn't have any grinding at all. :)

What? How do you even make logic of that? Persona 2, at least in theory, has situations where people feel they can't advance the plot without battling generic enemies over and over to collect shinies. That is exactly what they mean by grinding.

I love Persona 2 (both parts.). It's my favorite of the series and I never felt the grind was as bad as people make out, but if you have trouble with it, it sure as hell involves grinding to get around it a lot of the time. (Other times you can do cool rumor manipulation or Persona switching, but not always.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

I guess you could just talk to the enemies from a specific arcana as you encounter them while you're exploring the dungeons. You don't really have to go out of your way to get new cards, really.

This is what I do but a lot of people have trouble with the game even when doing this. That is where grinding comes in, because if they are still having trouble even after doing that, the solution for them is to punch and/or talk to random encounters until they can get past it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Maybe this is just me being crazy here, but how does this not apply to Persona 3 or 4 exactly? The obvious lack of negotiation aside, I don't think someone who's having trouble playing normally managing to beat, say, Shadow Yukiko (P4 early game boss) without having to grind. I wouldn't exactly say 3 is grind-free either what with having an entire extra dungeon devoted solely to making grinding easier.

I wouldn't say it doesn't, but in general there are mechanics in place to reduce the amount you have to do. Social Links in particular grant so many levels that leaving the dungeon for a few days and returning after you've gained a few social link levels is probably a lot more effective then simply grinding out the levels.

Persona 3 and 4 certainly could put you in a situation where you have to grind but it's less likely to be put into a situation where you feel the only option is to grind. The only real point would be the time-limited bosses and even those you can come back to unless you waited until the absolute last minute to fight them.

Now, doing some of Elizabeth's sidequests in Persona 3 or whatever? That poo poo is pure grinding of the worst type because all you can do is punch shadows and hope they drop the poo poo you need or grind Tartarus levels hoping a rare Shadow shows up or whatever.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

So... stopping to grind a social link in this scenario isn't grinding even though it's exactly what your definition said it is? Man, this argument is dumb. Why are you even arguing even though what you laid out is grinding in a slightly different way?

Because P3 and P4 are divided into two different types of gameplay. If you can't advance in the dungeons, you can leave and advance in the social gameplay which in turn makes the dungeon gameplay easier. At no point are you stopping the game from advancing. In fact, the way Persona 3 and 4 are designed, you're using up your limited time in order to do this and moving closer to the next plot point.

Aquans posted:

Even if it's optional, I still count the social links and stats as grinding. Because it's often this repetitive task in which you press x through text boxes, wait for transition time, and then press x through more text boxes saying the same thing. Studying day after day just so you can teach Mitsuru how to eat a hamburger is grinding to me, and if you don't pick the right options, you have to do relationship point grinding (which consists of "oh we talked about things") for the next events. Don't get me wrong though, because I didn't really mind any of that that much.

So... playing the game is grinding to you? I'm honestly confused. Grinding is not shorthand for "part of the game I don't like," it's referring to a specific kind of action you take in games (usually RPGs).

Like I said, if you want an actual Persona 3 example of grinding, look at that poo poo in Elizabeth's quests where you have to grind enemies in hopes they'll drop whatever bullshit item Elizabeth is looking for.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I would just like to say that in addition to all of the complaining in this thread about actual Shin Megami games, that a little while ago here, in the Shin Megam thread, it was announced that the team who made BlazBlue would be making a Persona fighting game and people actually complained about it. A literal gift from the gods and you complained about it.

What the hell is wrong with you people?

A lot of people hate Blazblue to my understanding. v:shobon:v

Edit: Like, I have literally never seen a fighting game fan do anything but heap scorn upon scorn on Blazblue and talk about how terrible it is. Even with SF4 or MvC3 or whatever there's a fair mix of people who like one and hate the other, but the hatred for Blazblue seems universal.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Syrg Sapphire posted:

And we have reached strawmen, good job everyone. Either I stay out of the bad threads or this recent self-cannibalism in this thread is some of the worst poo poo in Games, drat.

Hey here's a thing: I'm picking up a bunch of old DS stuff right now since I put the system down after a rush of RPGs months ago. Doing second playthrough on Strange Journey. Which would people recommend I go with, Law or Chaos this time around? I did Neutral out the gate.

Go for Chaos. Law creeps me the gently caress out in that game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I'm still surprised P2P isn't out yet. My site got that to review (I didn't get it) like, weeks ago, before Devil Survivor Overclocked.

Atlus is loving fantastic about getting review code out for their games, often to make sure reviewers have enough time to actually play through it. I love them for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snot Man posted:

Speaking of Persona 4, here's a poll-type question for everyone who finished it (spoilered for those waiting for the Vita version):

Is there a single person here who got the true ending (the one involving Izanami) in the way the creators seemed to intend? As in, not learn from a friend or a guide, nor even stumble upon it by accident, but instead by thinking "There are still plot threads left to resolve, I MUST REACH OUT TO THE TRUTH" and doing the specific sequence of events the game expects you to?

I have a friend who claims to have but I think they're just OCD and full of poo poo.

I did. The game seemed to be hinting strongly at it and so I just kept picking "no" and continuing to explore because I noticed they never actually explained a few things and was figuring that game was going. The fact that they had unresolved plot threads felt really obvious to me, I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

Before the game came out, they said there wasn't going to be a FES version of it, but the last part seemed exactly like something they added, terrible execution and all. I have a feeling they were originally going to hold back on putting that in the gaem, but decided not to piss people off.

There is absolutely no chance of this. The plotline is present throughout the entire game, from the handshake that starts it to the constant references near the end. It's fine not to like it but it wasn't something unintended.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Much like I bought a 3DS specifically for Devil Survivor Overclocked, I'll be buying a Vita specifcally for P4.

I'm a goddamn idiot, but I love my Shin Megami games so much.

It will be hard for P4:TG not to be a better port then Overclocked.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rei_ posted:

I'm just a little blown away by how little Overclocked uses the 3D capabilities. So far I've seen the intro and the fusion system, that's it.

Congrads, you've seen all the 3D in the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Are you sure about that? These are the figures I have from P3 and P4.

... Dude, did you cite VGChartz? They are literally full of poo poo. Nothing there has any basis in reality.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Overclocked is the definitive version but it's absolutely not worth it if you already have DS. You can just toss it into your drat 3DS and aside from a few new things you've got the same game. And no dumb 8th days where you make Cain help you assist God with the power of friendship.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mean Bean Machine posted:

I'm really not into Atlus' recent development direction. Luckily they are running out of games to remake.

They've also made a bunch of new games. Maybe not a ton of SMT games but they've been making other things like Etrian Odyssey, Trauma Team or Radiant Historia.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DeathBySpoon posted:

I've been playing Devil Survivor Overclocked and loving it. It's my first SMT game. Anyways, I have a few questions. I'm early on Day 3, but my questions are more related to leveling / fusing:

-Are the Elementals worth it? They seem to be pretty weak and they require the 1000 Macca fee to fuse. Will they get better once they start reaching a reasonable level?

-What's the best way to level up low-level demons? Any time I try to bring them into combat they just get oneshotted by something and never get any EXP. Is there an easy way to get them to learn "Watchful?" Or maybe a way to fight lower level enemies to ease them into my party?

-What does the "Unique" tag on some demons mean? I fused Thor and saw that he had one, but it looks like I could just fuse another. I didn't see any difference between demons that don't have the unique tag.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer.

Elementals are not good on their own. What they serve to do is allow you to boost (or reduce) a demon to a new demon in the same Race as that demon. If it is a boost or a reduction depends on the demon and element. Also, fusing two Elements together gives you a Mitama. A Mitama will boost the stats of a pre-existing demon when fused with it and allows you to transfer any skills on that Mitama to the demon. This is extremely game-breaking but also very expensive. It's generally not worth it to do so unless you're on a New Game +.

-If your demon is too low level, fuse it into something else. Demons are not meant to be kept but instead you keep moving them on. On a New Game + there are ways you can keep your favorite demon around if you want, but during a first playthrough you should just be fusing up to new demons. There is no real way to effectively level up a demon and once they have all their skills there is no reason to.

-Unique means you can only have one of that demon. If you try to fuse another it will stop you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DeathBySpoon posted:

Thanks for the answers to my earlier questions! Now I have a question about a specific battle, which I'm thinking is probably a general roadblock for people playing this [Last day 3 battle spoilers] Beldr is a dick. Any tips for this battle? I seem to be constantly petrified / shattered and I don't see a way to stop myself from being affected by statuses. I can get at most two hits off on Beldr if I'm lucky but even then it's hard.

The key for that battle is really use of demon racial abilities. Kinshin demons allow you to attack twice. You can use an Evil Wave demon to attack from a distance or something heal-focused to just keep everyone topped up through Beldr's attacks or pretty much anything. Feel free to change your main character to whatever defensive or critical boosting skills you have for that battle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chie looks so happy that she's about to get stabbed with a lightning sword.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The real Persona 4 starts here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Catalina posted:

Actually, I've been wondering about Etrian Odyssey. Would it be worth trying, if I liked, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey? I don't know that much about EO, except it has nice art, and is a dungeon crawler like SJ...but since I've played Strange Journey, I actually sort of like GOOD dungeon crawlers with good atmosphere.

If you liked SJ, you should at least give EO a try. They're similar-but-different but EO has a much better map system.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fooley posted:

Is there ever a way to regain MP during a battle in Devil Survivor?

Yes.

Most effective:
The Drain spell. Crack that poo poo ASAP. Drain is ridiculously, insanely, crazy broken. Give it to any demon that uses MP.

Second most effective:
A Tyrant-class demon will replenish a ton of MP after a fight.

Third most effective:
Cracked skills which can replenish 10% or 30% of your MP after a fight. Victory Cry if it is still around. (It may not be in the 3DS version, if it is it is harder to get.)

Beyond that you've got Blood Wine and Sacrifice such, but those three give you roughly infinite MP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justice posted:

About Junpei's special friend, you guys DID bring her back, didn't you?

Nope. :colbert: It feels like it defeats the point of the storyline if you magically revive her from death just to have a happy ending. Even if you buy the MCcoming back via the whole Messiah thing, it gets more and more muddled when you start saving Chidori and Shinjiro and such.